Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

NitroSpazzz posted:

Or the guy that told my brother and his friends that they needed a new alternator and battery for $500 after they left the lights on over night. Jump started it, ran it down the interstate for a bit and it was fine.

Or the well respected KTM dealer who told me my bike was hard starting because the battery was poor and my brake light switch was jamming, which was draining the battery.

The brake light is LED, and draws gently caress all.

The brake light is not on when the bike is off.

The replacement battery did not fix the problem.

The hard starting was due to a leaking injector, which I diagnosed with help from the UK KTM forum and fixed myself.

That was the last straw for me, previous mechanical follies include:

Ruining the battery's positive guard by ramming it under the bracket with force after they forgot to put it on before (it's two machine screws to take the bracket off).

Neglecting to tighten down the hose clamp from the air box to the throttle body, causing it to come loose and an air leak to develop.

Changing my oil and filters without me asking when it was in for some warranty work and then getting shirty with me when I refused to pay. This one actually pissed me off the most, they didn't even try to contact me (they had my daytime mobile). I ended up paying just materials as a compromise because occasionally I buy parts from them when I'm in a bind, like valve shims and spark plugs and such.

I have yet to find a mechanic I trust locally, and have had to learn to do everything myself. It's cheaper at least :unsmith:

EDIT

Ola posted:

motorcycle jerks who are in Bergen can stay at my place.

I just might take you up on that one day; If I ever get the Cojones to do my round-northern-europe trip, anyway. For some time I've been daydreaming about a trip starting with the ferry to St. Malo in France, riding up through europe, into scandinavia, get a ferry to Scotland and then ride down through the UK before home.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

Also if you haven't had the rubber filler caps changed with your tire changes that can cause slow leaks too.

I think this might be it. Soapy water test tomorrow.

Z3n posted:

Living the dream with the white picket fence, eh? Stay safe, Baglbeabs* forever lurks in the shadows.

The fence is a bit weird, it separates someone else's property and my landlord's property. I rent an apartment in a 3-story building, the house next to my bike is a storage shed. It's weirdly fun to park the bike behind a nice little fence. It's like a middle class dreamcatcher for baglbeabs* spirits.

Also I have a sofa that folds into a bed now so motorcycle jerks who are in Bergen can stay at my place.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
I went to the gas station after work to fill up the bike and...it only needed two gallons. Whatever reason it stalled out earlier was, it sure wasn't cause it was low on gas.

I now feel justified in my paranoia and superstition.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

ReelBigLizard posted:

I have yet to find a mechanic I trust locally, and have had to learn to do everything myself. It's cheaper at least :unsmith:

I used to have this belief that it was a good idea to take a used bike to a dealer/mechanic when I first bought it. Having not worked on too many bikes and the danger of a *catastrophic something failure* causing me to crash I figured I'd feel better having a "pro" give it a once cover. Queue me getting royally ripped off by the Harley dealer for an oil change for the Buell and later getting my Husky back with a non-working clutch to go with the bill.

redscare posted:

I went to the gas station after work to fill up the bike and...it only needed two gallons. Whatever reason it stalled out earlier was, it sure wasn't cause it was low on gas.

I now feel justified in my paranoia and superstition.

You said it happened when you pulled up to a light, were you braking hard or turning or something? My Husky will go 70 miles, but if I lean it into a turn it will stall at 50 (which really sucked when it happened).

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Skier posted:

Make the detour to Joseph, OR from Enterprise, OR to hit up the Cheyenne Cafe. It's right on the main drag, across from a grocery store and near a Chevron. Get their cinnamon roll.

Also, take Spiral Highway north from Lewiston, ID/Clarkston, WA.

n8r posted:

If you stay on 21 at Lake Roosevelt there is some crazy old ferry you can take. That'd be pretty fun and I think it's free.

I didn't read either of these posts until I just got back today, but still ended up doing both! I didn't head down Swawilla because I was low on gas and it looked like dirt anyways, so I took the mystery ferry across the lake and ended up hitting a badass twisty road on the way to Wilbur. After crossing the Idaho state line, I pulled over to take in the awesome view overlooking Lewiston/Clarkston and noticed the twisty, freshly resurfaced road going down the side of the mountain, so I went down halfway, then came back up and took 95. Didn't realize it was the shorter and funner route then.

I'll probably post a trip report tomorrow or something with some pictures. I got a picture of the same sign in your av, skier, and had the exact same reaction.

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?
I angered the Motorcycle gods today. I just finished washing my jacket and hung it up to dry when I realized I need to put gas in my tank. The gas station was less than 2 km away so I figured it would be fine just this once to ride there in a helmet,boots, gloves, Jeans and a T-shirt. Of course while making a low speed right-hand turn at a 4 way stop I chop the throttle in the middle of the turn for some unknown reason and almost dump the bike. Never in 6 years of riding have I done anything like that and I am convinced it was my bike getting mad at me.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

ReelBigLizard posted:

That is one of the main things keeping me at the house I am in now. My roommate is a motorcycle mechanic and has been for 10-11 years. There are few jobs on the bike I won't attempt but if I get stuck or could use a second opinion he is usually working on a customer's bike a few feet away.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Gnaghi posted:

You said it happened when you pulled up to a light, were you braking hard or turning or something? My Husky will go 70 miles, but if I lean it into a turn it will stall at 50 (which really sucked when it happened).

Nope, I was actually just coasting clutched in and when I stopped, noticed that the engine was dead.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

redscare posted:

Nope, I was actually just coasting clutched in and when I stopped, noticed that the engine was dead.

Did you accidentally pull in the brake lever instead? ;)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Go watch Cycles South on NetFlix.

quote:

Probably the most politically-incorrect road movie you will ever see. Tired of their everyday life of drinking and women-chasing, three guys jump on their BSAs with $300 apiece and ride from Colorado to Panama to indulge in some, er, drinking and women-chasing. This wild documentary shows our heroes living it up on the road, while exhorting the viewer to do likewise before becoming tied down with work and family.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

MrZig posted:

Did you accidentally pull in the brake lever instead? ;)

Nope!

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Alright, wasn't sure where else to put it, and I didn't think a one-post trip report really needed its own thread, so I'm putting it here.

If you've been keeping up with this thread, you know I just went on a 3-day journey through the state of Washington. Here's the short version:

-1,375 miles round-trip (@ 41 mpg)
-12 hours of travel on the first two days, probably 9-10 saddle time
-pulled over twice on day two, let off with a warning both times
-first cop basically told me about how he had to lay 'er down twice the first(and only) month he owned a motorcycle
-Washington's surprisingly diverse
-gently caress insects flying into my helmet and stinging me on the lip or whatever made it swell up for an hour
-also, gently caress allergies
-most of it was awesome, but 21 right after the ferry, Old Spiral Highway, 129 and 7 north of Elbe were the best
-now I'm broke and my bike desperately needs a new rear tire

I tried to ride more than photograph the trip, but here's a bit of what I managed to get.

So, starting on day one, I loaded up the bike-

Got geared up-

Then said good-bye to the dog!

Somewhere along North Cascades Highway.

Stopped into some tacky wannabe mining town called Winthrop for gas, a piss and the Ducatisti's biggest weakness.

At this point my original route turned out to be gravel from the quick look I gave it, and I was low on gas. Time to take a gamble with a ferry I couldn't tell was still regularly operating or not, to a town I didn't know for sure would have gas.

Boat came, I was the only one crossing.

Turned out to be worth it, the road and view were amazing.

And once I got up the side of all these hills, it just flattened right out. It was a huge surprise and a pretty cool view.

Trying to get fancy.

Campsite. Sleeping on gravel on a warm sleeping bag in 70* night weather wasn't very easy. The thought of some rear end in a top hat pushing my bike onto me, but being too lazy and mosquito-reluctant to do anything about it didn't help much, either.

Breakfast.

Aaahhhh, Idaho. Time to take the ol' lid off.

Stopped at the next scenic overlook to check out the view and went, "Oh, hello freshly resurfaced twisty road!" It turned out to be Old Spiral Highway.

Highway 129. Aw HEEEEELLLL YEAH

The view from the Oregon side of that canyon run.

Somewhere by Yakima.

Day three in the Chinook Pass on 410. Snow's a bit deep yet!

A bit of a drop. My girlfriend wasn't fond of this picture.

Turned out to be a great trip, despite getting lost by Athena, OR and Canyon Road by Yakima being covered in tar and gravel, turning out to be a huge waste of time. Next one, whenever I have the time and funds again, will probably be in Canada. A Harley rider told me it was an awesome ride up there.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jul 9, 2011

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Excellent report. Laughed so much at the dog pic. Also, :patriot: at the bootshot.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Those are some really great pics. I have never seen anything like that Chinook pass. I can't help but picture a highside working out like a bugs bunny cartoon on that road.

Gnaghi fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 9, 2011

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Ahh, Mountain Home Breakfast Skillet. Never what you want when you wake up, yet always does the job. And spilling some on your shorts on a 3 day hike the first morning makes you reek of fake eggs for the whole trip.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slim Pickens posted:

Oh hey a Jetboil. Gosh dang those things are handy.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
gently caress yeah Rattlesnake Grade. :hfive:

One day I will return to get a better avatar photo.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That was a great ride report and it totally deserved its own thread :)

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Gave my good friend visiting me from out of state (owner of 50cc scooter, and soon to be a motorcycle) his first ride on a 650cc - my K5 SV.

His response after punching it through city curves and the highway: :aaaaa: "Motorcycles are that fast?!"

I look forward to the day I get a literbike. And he's now looking at Triumph Speed Triples.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

the walkin dude posted:

Gave my good friend visiting me from out of state (owner of 50cc scooter, and soon to be a motorcycle) his first ride on a 650cc - my K5 SV.

His response after punching it through city curves and the highway: :aaaaa: "Motorcycles are that fast?!"

I look forward to the day I get a literbike. And he's now looking at Triumph Speed Triples.

Your friend is looking at a 1,000cc naked bike for his first bike? His only prior two wheel experience is a 50cc scooter?

My insurance rates :/

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I'm gonna let him have a spin on my Ninja 250 today, to further help him understand what he wants in his first motorcycle. He learned to ride a motorcycle on my last EX250, last year. Right now I'm pushing him toward ~70-80 hp bikes. I'm just happy to see him gravitate toward naked bikes.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Slim Pickens posted:

Trying to get fancy.

Got this in gigantic? I think your fanciness worked out pretty dang good.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Boat posted:

Got this in gigantic? I think your fanciness worked out pretty dang good.

Sure!

Mcqueen posted:

Ahh, Mountain Home Breakfast Skillet. Never what you want when you wake up, yet always does the job. And spilling some on your shorts on a 3 day hike the first morning makes you reek of fake eggs for the whole trip.

I'm especially fond of the styrofoam peanut-texture in the middle of the bigger chunks.

Yum.

Z3n posted:

That was a great ride report and it totally deserved its own thread :)

Aw shucks, thanks. :) I'll probably make one for the next big ride, whenever that happens. I'll probably bring the helmet camera, too, because I wish I would've gotten video of some of those roads. It'll be a while, though. Still need a new rear tire, want to re-shim the valves, adjust the carburetors a bit, get a stiffer rear shock spring, do an actual track day...

Yeah, might be a while.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

Finally got around to changing my sprockets to -1/+2 and holy poo poo you guys weren't kidding when you said it's the best thing you can do to an I4 bike. My FZ6 is like a whole new, more awesome bike. I even did my first wheelie, though not on purpose. I just gave the throttle a quick little whack like a normally do for fun and suddenly the bars wiggle back and forth in my hands. And then I did it on purpose a bunch of times. Still to scared to do more then those couple inches though.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Micky Rourke's bike from Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man is for sale.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harl...torcycles#v4-38

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Exhaust melts bags, bags start on fire, riders get off, gun in bag goes off and shoots out the tire.
http://www.kawiforums.com/two-wheeled-discussion/180186-guys-tire-shot.html

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Armyman25 posted:

Micky Rourke's bike from Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man is for sale.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harl...torcycles#v4-38

Still a bitchin bike. I'd ride the poo poo out of that.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
I might be meeting Charlie Boorman on Vancouver island at a meet and greet for his new show (Extreme Frontiers Canada). I'm pretty excited about this and was wondering - what would you ask him?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Is ewans wife as much of a twat as she seems?

:v:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
How much more attention does he get for being ewan's bike buddy than failing at acting?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

KARMA! posted:

How much more attention does he get for being ewan's bike buddy than failing at acting?

Hey hey, His Dad was famous too, he's not just milking Ewans fame.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
How does he feel about He and Ewan being responsible for all the doctors, dentist, and lawyers switching from Harleys to BMW adventure bikes?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I've added some of the CA politburo to my Fuelly, in you wonder who the hell "Dumsnabb" is.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/dumsnabb

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Speaking of third party sites, many of you on google plus yet? I have invites if not.

limeyrock at gmail

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ReelBigLizard posted:

Speaking of third party sites, many of you on google plus yet? I have invites if not.

limeyrock at gmail

You have mail.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

ReelBigLizard posted:

limeyrock at gmail

I'm still trying to figure out what the real point of google+ is. I've gotten a few invites but haven't signed up yet.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'm still trying to figure out what the real point of google+ is. I've gotten a few invites but haven't signed up yet.

Even though Google is able to track nearly every aspect of your life (your Internet searches, your google e-mail, your GPS location via your Android phone, and your phone calls) it was unable to fully track your social networking habits on Facebook. Therefore they are going to own that too.

Google: Destroying your privacy and making Microsoft look kind and gentle in comparison.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Crayvex posted:

Even though Google is able to track nearly every aspect of your life (your Internet searches, your google e-mail, your GPS location via your Android phone, and your phone calls) it was unable to fully track your social networking habits on Facebook. Therefore they are going to own that too.

Google: Destroying your privacy and making Microsoft look kind and gentle in comparison.

The nice thing about G+ is that its very plain what you are and are not sharing with everyone on the planet. A couple aspects of your profile are public (like 2 pieces of information), while everything else can be fine tuned to only share with a select group or no one at all.

Yes, targeted ads suck and I'm personally still deciding how I feel about a big corporation knowing everything about me, but really that's nothing new.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Crayvex posted:

it was unable to fully track your social networking habits on Facebook.

Eh, It's not like facebook isn't selling the info to all and sundry anyway. At least I have some granularity for my privacy controls now.

Edit: In any case, I just used FB to share funny or interesting poo poo and keep up with friends who have moved away. Putting up a running commentary of your life is optional.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jul 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

sirbeefalot posted:

The nice thing about G+ is that its very plain what you are and are not sharing with everyone on the planet. A couple aspects of your profile are public (like 2 pieces of information), while everything else can be fine tuned to only share with a select group or no one at all.

Yes, targeted ads suck and I'm personally still deciding how I feel about a big corporation knowing everything about me, but really that's nothing new.

It's not just the corporation, but governments as well.

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010/07/exclusive-google-cia/

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-04-08/google-said-to-agree-to-ita-firewalls-monitoring-by-u-s-.html

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/web/06/27/google.data.requests/index.html?iref=allsearch