Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Reinanigans posted:

Is there any sort of "What if" story that depicts what things would have been like had Anakin never turned to the dark side? It'd be cool to see all the cool poo poo he could've done if he kept his body and reached his full potential. Also, what the galaxy would have been like with a good Skywalker around instead of the Empire, or fighting the Empire at least.

This is a few pages ago, but this is an interesting idea. I'm surprised no fancomics were ever made of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Homura posted:

I don't even know how I'd react to seeing the Earth get blown up. :colbert:

I was adopted. My real mom wasn't there.

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson

Chairman Capone posted:

From what I understand, there's kind-of time travel, but not in a Star Trek-y sense. Basically a guy ejects in an escape pod in hyperspace during the Tales of the Jedi era and due to hyperspace-relativity it's the post-ROTJ era when he reverts to real-space. So technically time travel, but just a one-way jolt into the future using (kind-of) real physics.

That's a better way of doing it than the stuff surrounding that Muur Talisman or whatever the gently caress the rakghoul making thing was called.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

From what I understand, there's kind-of time travel, but not in a Star Trek-y sense. Basically a guy ejects in an escape pod in hyperspace during the Tales of the Jedi era and due to hyperspace-relativity it's the post-ROTJ era when he reverts to real-space. So technically time travel, but just a one-way jolt into the future using (kind-of) real physics.

This is kind of funny since it's exactly the way they executed the leader of the Yevetha or whatever in the Black Fleet Crisis.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Torael_7 posted:

This is kind of funny since it's exactly the way they executed the leader of the Yevetha or whatever in the Black Fleet Crisis.

Yeah but didn't they explain that the Empire researched bomb/warhead delivery via this method? It didn't work for them but I forget what the conclusions of it were. Was it just impossible to hit the target, meaning the pod would just drop back into normal space, no time fuckery involved? Or were the pods never located, meaning at this very moment that Yevetha dude could be loving his mom?

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
If anyone has missed the front page article 50 more hours of Star Wars, you should go read it now.

George Lucas posted:

Hours 25 + 26
Ewok-centric episode exploring their first foray into space using nothing but logs, rope, and boulders. At the end, the galaxy lies in ruins. A triumphant roar of "Yub Yub!" echoes through the vacuum of space

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Okay, not to turn this thread into games.txt or something but in honor of the Steam sale going on I'd like to know if anyone would like a copy of Jedi Knight:Dark Forces which is seriously one of the best Star Wars games ever.

First post with a link to their Steam ID gets it.

I would have posted this in Games steam thread but I figuerd might as well give it to someone who would apprcieate it.

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 7, 2011

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Nckdictator posted:

Okay, not to turn this thread into games.txt or something but in honor of the Steam sale going on I'd like to know if anyone would like a copy of Jedi Knight:Dark Forces which is seriously one of the best Star Wars games ever.

First post with their Steam ID gets it.

I would have posted this in Games steam thread but I figuerd might as well give it to someone who would apprcieate it.

Ill take it at Fredsterdots if you still have it.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Darth Freddy posted:

Ill take it at Fredsterdots if you still have it.

" Fredsterdots" isn't showing up.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Hrmm that's what I use to sign on. Guess Ill let the next person get it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I'll take it if you still got it. SteamId is Crowetron.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Yeah,sorry for the trouble but could you just link it?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Nckdictator posted:

Yeah,sorry for the trouble but could you just link it?

If you meant me, here it is.

If Darth Freddy still wants it, I'll concede it, though.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

All yours buddy.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Crowetron posted:

If you meant me, here it is.

If Darth Freddy still wants it, I'll concede it, though.

Sent, enjoy it!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Nckdictator posted:

Sent, enjoy it!

Thanks! I was planning on playing something else tonight, but :allears: Kyle Katarn :allears:

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
I think I'l just leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q02weIJD3I

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Nckdictator posted:

Sweet Jesus.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Nckdictator posted:

:wtc:

I like the top comment though. :v:

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Nckdictator posted:

I accept this into my personal canon.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
drat Threepeo loves to boogie.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Razorwired posted:

And it was a cool little side project until nerds started writing wedding vows in it :colbert:

This is old (talking about Klingon), but I saw "A Klingon Christmas Carol" last winter and it was the best Christmas Play ever.

So Bath'Hum to you!

GodlessCommie
Apr 4, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mister Roboto posted:

I accept this into my personal canon.

That's some G-Level poo poo right there. Lucas is going to release a special edition of the commercial which will have Starkiller hiding the death star plan in the can of whatever the gently caress they're selling.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Then it should be a beer called "Bothan's"

I would kill many Bothans for the Death Star plans.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

So I'm reading Vortex right now, and it's like all the basic Fate of the Jedi tropes combined with all the basic Troy Denning traits in a perfect storm.

As far as the series goes, we have:
-Repetitive plots that go nowhere in a hurry
-Plot holes from switching authors between each book... for example we learn that Abeloth/Force-Cthulhu did a switcharoo with one of her victims in this book so Luke killed this guy (not that this homicide revelation is treated like much more than a plot device) instead of killing Abeloth... but oops, see, Abeloth already pulled the switcharoo in the last book and Luke sensed something was off, so he gave a lightsaber shave to what looked like his screaming helpless Ally but was supposedly Abeloth. So the takeaway from the whole double secret reverse switcharoo was that Abeloth didn't do jack poo poo for illusions and Luke just walked up and stabbed his buddy because the Force told him to do it or something. I'm guessing both authors knew that there was supposed to be an illusion plot point, but coordination was so shoddy that they each included it unaware that they would cancel each other out. Of course, the majority of fans will still gobble this poo poo up so there's reason to change the the approach.
-Relatedly, dropped plot points and characters between books.
-Plot armor for main characters, new characters be droppin' like flies. Oh, I'm sorry, I meant space flies.
-Main characters who are tremendous dicks. Not least of them Luke. Aggression is not the Jedi way, but passive aggression on the other hands.

Particular to this author
-Actually aggression frequently is the Jedi way.
-All Jedi being painfully stupid and immature, particularly the Jedi Council.
-Extreme servicing of pet characters.
-Lot of preaching from Paster Denning about who's good and who's bad.

And I'm still only halfway through. Ah well, at least I didn't pay anything for this.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE
Star by Star was so much fun. I guess what they say about Denning (that it was automatically going to be awesome because of all the payoffs and the author didn't matter) is probably true.

I'd like to hear that one of the Big Three (or all of them) were severely injured and missed most of a 9 book series. Del Ray needs to force the authors to write about something original. What's really missing, though, is characterization and interaction. Relationships between characters began to feel artificial in parts of NJO and then the wacky bouncing plot threads in LotF with characters present in one book but gone from the next just left it feeling hallow to me.

Some of the same stuff that was wrong with the Prequels is wrong with the books. Alson needs to quit this silliness and get back to work telling us about the wacky adventures of people who stood around in background shots in the films.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Azzmo posted:

Star by Star was so much fun. I guess what they say about Denning (that it was automatically going to be awesome because of all the payoffs and the author didn't matter) is probably true.

Star by Star read like some spastic 8-year old kid trying to verbally summarize the LOTR trilogy for me.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I like Star by Star but it was too drat long. Whenever I re-read it, I always end up skipping the Jedi strike team parts. The best part of that book, by far, is Borsk's sendoff.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

Star by Star read like some spastic 8-year old kid trying to verbally summarize the LOTR trilogy for me.

Yeah, every time I hear someone say they liked Star by Star I wonder if they read the same book as me. That was the first Denning book I read and it was immediately clear that he's a terrible author. Pretty much all the problems he exhibits from his later work in DN/LOTF/FOTJ are already right there in Star by Star.

Anyway, having just finished the Star Wars radio drama, a few parting thoughts:

-The radio drama includes a LOT more scenes where it's clear that Luke and Leia are starting to get romantically attracted, so I guess it is definitely before Lucas decided to make them siblings.
-Interestingly, Tarkin is the one who worries about whether he should get ready to evacuate the Death Star while the Rebels launch their attack, and Motti who convinces him that it would be nonsense to run away then
-Han comes across as a much bigger dick than in the movie, especially in the scene when he's getting his payment (which also explains exactly what the Rebels are paying him in): when they tell him they don't have any credits, Han makes them pay him in spare parts they needed to fix their starfighters and equip their weapons

Aciid c0d3r
Jun 21, 2008
"Shouldn't you be out mowing the lawn, or spending time with your wife?"
\
:backtowork:
Does anyone have that picture of all the different types of TIE fighters? I thought I saw it here, but I can't seem to find it.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
I'm sorry if this has already been posted (these threads have been around for so long I don't remember all the questions):

Why was Admiral Ozzel's decision to come out of hyperspace on top of Hoth such a bad decision? It's said in movie and on wookipedia that it gave time for the rebels to prepare. How's that? Wouldn't slowboating from the outskirts of the system dramatically improve their chances of being detected? :confused:

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 9, 2011

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chrysophylax posted:

I'm sorry if this has already been posted (these threads have been around for so long I don't remember all the questions):

Why was Admiral Ozzel's decision to come out of hyperspace on top of Hoth such a bad decision? It's said in movie and on wookipedia that it gave time for the rebels to prepare. How's that? Wouldn't slowboating from the outskirts of the system dramatically improve their chances of being detected? :confused:

It gave the rebels more escape routes because the empire was all bunched up, I think. If they'd come away farther from the system, they could have worked to cut off their escape better. Ozzel though he could surprise them before they got away.

(This doesn't work because blocking off a system would require a comical number of ships but it's a fantasy movie.)

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Then the Rebels' escape route involved making a beeline straight towards the Star Destroyers anyway

Star Wars :buddy:

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

ImpAtom posted:

It gave the rebels more escape routes because the empire was all bunched up, I think. If they'd come away farther from the system, they could have worked to cut off their escape better. Ozzel though he could surprise them before they got away.

(This doesn't work because blocking off a system would require a comical number of ships but it's a fantasy movie.)

I hadn't considered that. Makes sense with star wars logic.

Ultimately I think that scene just served to establish Vader's brutality early on.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Maybe they were still expecting to find an abandoned base and so they didn't bring a full fleet. The plan was probably to come in the system, not alert the planet, find out the rebels are there and then call in the rest of the fleet.

Ozzel comes in too close, sets off alarms to a real rebel base and so they don't have a full blockade of the system in place. Oh yeah plus theres a giant gently caress-off ion cannon on the planet.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention
Why not just use an Interdictor?

They always seem to be in short supply unless the plot conveniently calls for one :hmm:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Hazo posted:

Then the Rebels' escape route involved making a beeline straight towards the Star Destroyers anyway

Star Wars :buddy:

Maybe there were no known/good hyperspace routes to take on the unguarded side of the planet. And maybe they didn't see the big deal about heading straight toward a single destroyer since they had the ion canon.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Aciid c0d3r posted:

Does anyone have that picture of all the different types of TIE fighters? I thought I saw it here, but I can't seem to find it.

I really hope someone finds this and posts it because I want to see it too.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

No it is because it gave the Rebels time to turn on the planetary shield which made orbital bombardment impossible and forced them to land and take out the Main Power Generator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
I always thought it was a sensor thing. Ten or so Star Destroyers emerging from hyperspace is going to leave a pretty big radar signature after all. Dropping back to sub-light speed further out would let them jam the rebels' sensors allowing them their surprise orbital bombardment and not costing them all those AT-ATs.