Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Gavok posted:

Yeah, I don't do it in a serious way to get them angry. I act genuinely shocked and hammy about it to play along.

It's the best when afterwards you pout because the heel lost and let the kids rub it in. It may be a knock to your pride but it make's their weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Duke posted:

I think the online innovation curve kind of stops around Shane's departure. Then they just kind of left whatever he did going and never updated.

I mean, encrypted WMV streams? In 2011?

He only left a year and a half ago.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

MassRayPer posted:

He only left a year and a half ago.

Silverlight didn't see mass penetration until earlier last year. And I don't really blame them for not moving towards Flash. The WMV thing seems a lot like "well this is fine, something better will come along" and Silverlight was it.

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly
Bobby Heenan was one of the funniest guys to ever get involved in wrestling, he had a razor sharp wit and was probably too quick for Shiavone, they still had some quality moments together but nothing came close to his stuff with Monsoon.

It's a shame with his illness and what's happened to him we won't hear him on the headsets ever again. Taz and Booker are probably two of the worst colour guys out there today but at least you can get a laugh with Booker, Taz is just terrible. We need a new Heenan.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Problem with Tony is he was horrible at hiding his dumb. Gorilla could hide his dumb easily because he knew how to hide a mistake he made. Tony Shiavonie and especially Mongo just kinda left it out there and treated it as gospel so Bobby couldn't play off of it. There were some great Tony/Bobby moments that get forgotten in time, but the biggest issue is that Heenan kind of changed up his commentary style while in WCW and it didn't open up as much for comedy.

I still contend that I would rather listen to Tony Shiavonie than any commentator in pro wrestling working right now. Only guy close to him is Josh Matthews.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Is Taz bad or is he just stuck with lovely material?

In the Smackdown Six days I remember him being good with Michael Cole of all people...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Taz isn't that great at calling matches, but if he's with the right guy they can get a great dynamic going that enhances the play-by-play. Him and Cole had that dynamic.

Also, I think part of the problem is that he doesn't care about the TNA product. At all.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

El Patron posted:

Taz and Booker are probably two of the worst colour guys out there today but at least you can get a laugh with Booker, Taz is just terrible.

Booker T as commentator is like a cross between brain-damaged commentator/former boxer Floyd Wetherton from Family Guy and Chester Cheetah. And that's why I love him.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

LordPants posted:

Is Taz bad or is he just stuck with lovely material?

In the Smackdown Six days I remember him being good with Michael Cole of all people...

Taz is bad. TNA gives him a script but he's allowed to say what he wants. WWE had Vince chirping in his ear which kept him a bit more in line but Taz has been getting worse and worse over time.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Taz seems to not give a gently caress anymore. Near the end of his WWE run it seemed like he was unhappy and watching recent stuff and comparing his commentary in like 08 or so to 5 years earlier, he's just totally different.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think it was the 2004 Rumble that had JR and Tazz and I thought it was a really good combo. Tazz seemed to actually give a poo poo since he had someone actually good at their job with him.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The answer is for TNA to hire Rene Dupree and allow at least one French Tickler spot per show. That'll get Tazz excited again.

Tazz loving loved seeing Dupree do that stupid dance.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
But is Taz worse than Chet Lemon and Black Snow?

edit: Let me phrase that differently, what would you prefer, Taz, or Lemon/Snow. :)

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

LordPants posted:

But is Taz worse than Chet Lemon and Black Snow?

edit: Let me phrase that differently, what would you prefer, Taz, or Lemon/Snow. :)

I was always told to stay away from lemon snow.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Taz seems to point out how dumb things are in TNA rather than try to sell them in spite of their stupidity. So when he asks people "Why the heck do you even have a title shot, you haven't even done anything in weeks?" or doesn't understand the stipulations of a match, and the couple times he's actually said on air "well that was dumb" I love him more.

Other than that he just says whatever stupid thing pops into his head and identifies various holds and the toll they take on the body. He also has negative rapport with Tenay which doesn't really help.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I really want the PSPodcast to do a WCW special episode asap. I love talking about that retarded company.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

weekly font posted:

I really want the PSPodcast to do a WCW special episode asap. I love talking about that retarded company.

I'll look back at Death of WCW.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I think the solution is getting Stevie Ray

Captain Kickass
Jan 12, 2007

by angerbeet
This past Thursday was the 15th anniversary of the Hogan heel turn at Bash at the Beach.

Even though I was a hardcore WWF guy, I have to admit that before the nWo got stale, WCW got most of my viewing from that point.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I'll be spending the weekend with a woman that is from near Atlanta. Her father was a chiropractor for WCW or WCW wrestlers frequently came to him. She promised to tell me all sorts of stories from his days working with them.

So far I know that they we're very close with the Benoits. Her mother was helping Nancy with her parenting skills up until the end because she was an expert in the disease Daniel had. Her father was one of the last people that spoke with Chris.

Perry Saturn is like an Uncle to her younger sister, they knew he was alive the entire time and I would assume he talked with him during his addiction to meth and homelessness. Maybe he even convinced him to get help. They talk quite frequently now.

Her father likes to give names to inanimate objects for fun.

quote:

does your dad have the mop he fell in love with
mopsy
----------------------------------------------------
NO! but my dad inspired mopsy! true story! my dad has these weird characters, like harold the broken toilet bowl seat, that he falls in love with!
oh my loving god, you know about mopsy! i am so happy right now
i have no one in my life to talk about this poo poo with

She's one of those academic types living in upstate NY getting her phd, so I kinda doubt she'd lie about something like old, obscure wrestling stuff based on a comment I made about N64 wrestling games. My friend Aaron says it's destiny, I think he's right.

I'll make sure to find out who's a total rear end in a top hat and who was really nice. Maybe I can get some DDP stories too.

The American Dream fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 13, 2011

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Her father is a bad person and it is further evidence WCW was a bad company for sending its wrestlers to quacks.

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly
I thought Saturn got the mop gimmick as a punishment for getting rough with a jobber who accidently injured him ?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

El Patron posted:

I thought Saturn got the mop gimmick as a punishment for getting rough with a jobber who accidently injured him ?

It could have been WWF telling Saturn he's getting a retard gimmick and Saturn deciding he'll fall in love with a mop, inspired by his chiropractor's mop.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I missed out on Saturn's amorous mop-adventures, but every time I read about it I have to think of UHF:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9W-smdTVjA

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
When did Hogan start using Voodoo Child for his entrance music? I'm watching the Best of Nitro DVD, and I'm having trouble remembering if they just dubbed over it or if he only used it on PPVs and such.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Astro7x posted:

When did Hogan start using Voodoo Child for his entrance music? I'm watching the Best of Nitro DVD, and I'm having trouble remembering if they just dubbed over it or if he only used it on PPVs and such.

Somewhere late 96 early 97.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
It seemed really inconsistent too. He was Hollywood in late spring/early summer 2000, and came out to the Rockhouse theme.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I'm pretty sure that's because WCW could no longer afford to license Voodoo Child at that point.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

1st AD posted:

I'm pretty sure that's because WCW could no longer afford to license Voodoo Child at that point.
Don't you mean 'Voodoo Chili'?
D'oh!

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Lone Rogue posted:

It could have been WWF telling Saturn he's getting a retard gimmick and Saturn deciding he'll fall in love with a mop, inspired by his chiropractor's mop.

I'll get more details, I guess he has a box of shirts in their garage and she told me next time she goes down there she'd bring me back one. Fingers crossed this works out.

Anyone I should ask her about? So far I have Jericho, Eddie, Russo. I will of course be asking about The Outsiders, Flair and Arn, if he knew Terry Funk and any fun random stories. I'm gonna tread lightly on Benoit because they seem like family friends and I'm sure that effected her even more then those of us who just knew him as one of the best of the era. Maybe I can get her to do a Q and A or possibly ask her father some questions.

Since he has a lot of memorabilia and is proud of it I'm willing to bet he's a life long fan that landed a dream gig. And you know how we all love to brag about meeting our favorite athletes in their civilian life and how awesome and cool they are.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

It seemed really inconsistent too. He was Hollywood in late spring/early summer 2000, and came out to the Rockhouse theme.
And at some point he went from Voodoo Chile back to Real American in WWF... what was that about?

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

The American Dream posted:

I'll get more details, I guess he has a box of shirts in their garage and she told me next time she goes down there she'd bring me back one. Fingers crossed this works out.

Anyone I should ask her about? So far I have Jericho, Eddie, Russo. I will of course be asking about The Outsiders, Flair and Arn, if he knew Terry Funk and any fun random stories. I'm gonna tread lightly on Benoit because they seem like family friends and I'm sure that effected her even more then those of us who just knew him as one of the best of the era. Maybe I can get her to do a Q and A or possibly ask her father some questions.

Since he has a lot of memorabilia and is proud of it I'm willing to bet he's a life long fan that landed a dream gig. And you know how we all love to brag about meeting our favorite athletes in their civilian life and how awesome and cool they are.

Find out what memorabilia he has. This seems like a "my uncle, who works at Nintendo" thing to me.

You could always make very subtle Benoit jokes.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

ChampRamp posted:

Find out what memorabilia he has. This seems like a "my uncle, who works at Nintendo" thing to me.

To be fair, I've never heard someone say, "My uncle works at Nintendo. Got any questions for him to ask?"

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Lone Rogue posted:

To be fair, I've never heard someone say, "My uncle works at Nintendo. Got any questions for him to ask?"

You were comatose in the 80s?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Moose Bigelow posted:

You were comatose in the 80s?

It was usually, "My uncle who works at Nintendo said they are making Super Mario 13 and it's going to have a white mushroom that turns you into an angel and Bowser is going to have three heads and the graphics will be done on Nintendo's new Mega Nintendo system with a controller that has 13 buttons* and it's all done with holograms!"

Not, "Hey yeah, my uncle works at Nintendo. I've heard him talk about cool stuff. Got some questions?"

*They usually get one thing right

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

ChampRamp posted:

You could always make very subtle Benoit jokes.

I'll admit the Benoit thing took me aback, but it would make sense that since her mother is a professor and expert on the disease Daniel had, living in the Atlanta area and her husband has a link to WCW, it would make sense that they would be in contact. Seems like Daniel was born right around when Benoit jumped to the WWF.

Her family has a relationship with Perry Saturn, it's not like she's saying Hulk and Stone Cold always come over for Christmas dinner.

When she said she had ties to wrestling I just guessed that she went to the same synagogue as Goldberg or someone was her neighbor.

edit: I hope he has the Scott Hall picture Booker T got in that match. If I could ever get a picture holding that I would probably evaporate in the living room because my life's quest has been fulfilled.

The American Dream fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 13, 2011

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

The American Dream posted:

I'll be spending the weekend with a woman that is from near Atlanta. Her father was a chiropractor for WCW or WCW wrestlers frequently came to him. She promised to tell me all sorts of stories from his days working with them.

So far I know that they we're very close with the Benoits. Her mother was helping Nancy with her parenting skills up until the end because she was an expert in the disease Daniel had. Her father was one of the last people that spoke with Chris.

Sounds like bull to me. Daniel didn't have a disease (that turned out to be media speculation) and the last people he contacted before killing himself is well documented. I doubt that a chiropractor would be the unknown friend he called and left a voicemail for.

quote:

At about 3:30 p.m. EDT on Saturday, June 23, Chavo Guerrero received a voicemail message from Benoit's phone stating that he overslept and missed his flight and would be late for that night's house show in Beaumont, Texas. Guerrero called Benoit back and Benoit sounded tired and groggy as he confirmed everything that he had said in his voice message. Guerrero, who was "concerned about Benoit's tone and demeanor", called him back twelve minutes later. Benoit did not answer the call and Guerrero left a message asking Benoit to call back.

At 3:44 p.m. EDT, Benoit called Guerrero back, stating that he did not answer the call because he was on the phone with Delta Air Lines changing his flight. Benoit stated that he had a stressful day due to Nancy and Daniel "being sick with food poisoning". A coworker who often traveled with Benoit called him from outside the Houston airport and Benoit answered. Benoit told the coworker that Nancy was vomiting blood and that Daniel was also vomiting.

On Sunday, June 24, five text messages were sent to co-workers between 3:51 a.m. and 3:58 a.m. using both Chris Benoit's and Nancy Benoit's cell phones. Four of them were the Benoit's address and the fifth said that the family's dogs were in the enclosed pool area also noting a garage side door was left open.

It is also known that during this time, Benoit called and left a voicemail for an unknown friend. Benoit later called WWE's talent relations office stating that his son was vomiting and that he and Nancy were at the hospital with him. He also stated that he would be taking a later flight into Houston, but would not make the live event in Beaumont.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
The thing that made me know it was fake was the Saturn bit. He didn't stay in touch with his closest friends, but this guy/family, he did? Come now.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ChampRamp posted:

The thing that made me know it was fake was the Saturn bit. He didn't stay in touch with his closest friends, but this guy/family, he did? Come now.

He did not even go to his mentors funeral. Also he was friends with Chavo and Chavo had Pepe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
It's not "stupid" but something fun I like to look at from time to time (especially when doing EWR scenarios or talking about how much better WCW was at one point compared to the WWF)

Here are the old school rosters for the WWF and WCW/NWA from 1986 to 1998.