Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Well, it looks like you nailed focus and exposure, now it is just a matter of getting the subject in the right place. :)

Ordered some gear this week from wildlifewatchingsupplies.co.uk -- they have a huge selection of interesting and useful stuff. Picked up a neoprene coat for the 500L as well as a "bag hide" you toss over yourself and your gear to blend in. Figured that the bag hide will help find some good opportunities, and if I find an area where there is lots of activity I will put up a more permanent version.

Also, fun little story: every spring a little Parus Major (no clue what they are called in America, sorry) spends a huge amount of time tidying up this birdhouse we have on the wall of the shed. Every year, a very angry and aggressive Ficedula hypoleuca shows up and boots him out once the cleaning is done. Then we have to listen to the neverending chatter from the babies once hatched. He is pretty quick but I snagged a snapshot of him the other day with the 500 and 1.4x:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Parus major = Great Tit (related to chickadees and titmice in North America)

Ficedula hypoleuca = Pied Flycatcher

Great Tits are one of the model species of field behavioral ecology, so it's really hard not to snigger when you have to teach students about them...

The photo is great- you could probably post that in the Critterquest thread and someone could ID the butterfly for you.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Well, I just googled "great tits" and it delivered in every way imaginable.

Thanks for the translation help. :)

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Bird ID? And 200mm is definitely too short. Gonna take my 2x teleconverter next time, and accept the loss of sharpness.

What kind of bird by torgeaux, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

torgeaux posted:

Bird ID? And 200mm is definitely too short. Gonna take my 2x teleconverter next time, and accept the loss of sharpness.

Smooth-billed Ani- very cool birds. They are in the cuckoo family, but are super social. Multiple pairs share a nest.

edit- possibly groove-billed.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Groove-billed ani?

edit: well, I was close. :)

MrOpus
Mar 21, 2004

torgeaux posted:

I'd toss this photo into the Critterquest thread in GBS. They're drat good at identifying pretty much anything if the photo is sharp.

Edit: nm, you guys are good too. :)

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Was it taken in the U.S.? That might help.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Was it taken in the U.S.? That might help.

Cuba.

Always two together when I saw them.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
wikipedia says only smooth-billed in Cuba, but i'm not sure I'd take wikipedia as the last word in bird distributions

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006

P7136412 by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

P7136462 by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

P7136557 by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
Found this duck at Sea World. I just love the colors.

That water is gross as hell.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

IMG_0764 by bernsai, on Flickr

IMG_0767 by bernsai, on Flickr

I saw some birds! I have no idea what any birds are. I tried to do some searching, but I didn't see anything helpful, or I'm retarded. I imagine these are fairly common. If anyone has any idea, I'm pretty curious now after all this looking. They're in southern Alberta if that helps.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010

Common sparrow. I'm a pretty casual bird shooter, but I'm pretty happy with how this one turned out. :)

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CarrotFlowers posted:

IMG_0764 by bernsai, on Flickr

IMG_0767 by bernsai, on Flickr

I saw some birds! I have no idea what any birds are. I tried to do some searching, but I didn't see anything helpful, or I'm retarded. I imagine these are fairly common. If anyone has any idea, I'm pretty curious now after all this looking. They're in southern Alberta if that helps.

Look like female Red-winged Blackbirds. Nice pics!

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Look like female Red-winged Blackbirds. Nice pics!

Ah, that totally makes sense as there were male red-winged blackbirds hanging around too. :downs:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Spent all week having the wrong lens on my camera when birds were within range, but finally found an Anna's Hummingbird that kept eating while I switched.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Didn't get any good shots of the hummingbirds at my grandma's house, or the woodpeckers, or the gold finches, or anything since it was so drat humid that I had to spent 20 minutes outside just to let the lenses defog, and by the time I had a chance to just sit out there to get pictures it was dark enough that I really needed a tripod, which was 700 miles away. Oh well.

Installed a bird feeder in my backyard today though, maybe I'll get something more interesting than this guy hanging out in my yard.

DSC_0452.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Birds are poo sometimes. And by sometimes, I mean always. :argh: :argh: :argh:

But then they make it all worth it...

Swed
Sep 25, 2003
the voices sayeth
This is the best I've got.

Guess I can include this too.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
After shooting macro on my last couple of trips, I wanted to shoot some birds now. I didn't come across many, probably because the weather got really bad once I stepped outside. I'd love to get some feedback on those shots though:

Untitled on Flickr

Peanuts on Flickr

Untitled on Flickr

MrOpus
Mar 21, 2004

FLX posted:

After shooting macro on my last couple of trips, I wanted to shoot some birds now. I didn't come across many, probably because the weather got really bad once I stepped outside. I'd love to get some feedback on those shots though:

Peanuts on Flickr

This is fantastic.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

FLX posted:

Peanuts on Flickr
Haha this owns birds are awesome.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Bird feeders are awesome for the lazy goon photographer.

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

IMG_2414 by like okay cool dude, on Flickr

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

sensy v2.0 posted:

IMG_2414 by like okay cool dude, on Flickr

Looks like a great tit. Nice. :)

Eurasian coot, juvenile:

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

A few bird shots:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Rated PG-34 posted:

Amazing.
What lens/body?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

sharkytm posted:

Amazing.
What lens/body?

Alas, for telephoto, all I had with me was my Canon G9 :(

Edit: another one,

Rated PG-34 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 28, 2011

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Nice work with the G9, goes to show it's the person behind the camera that matters the most.

"I know kung fu"

Some swan

Tern

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

House Finch by The original David L, on Flickr

Swed
Sep 25, 2003
the voices sayeth

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

A few recent photos of what I believe are Goldfinches. These were shot using a Sony a850 and the Sony 70-400mm f/4-5.6 lens. I changed the third one to black and white as I've always felt like fast motion looks more interesting without color. That, and the bird had a strange red spot under its wing - I assume it's just a spot that's bare of feathers, and you're never going to see it unless you're really lucky with a photo like this one.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I finally had the money and time to get my 50-500's autofocus motor fixed, so here's one of the first shots with it after I got it back. I love this lens so much. I need to get better at finding shots that aren't just "bird sitting on branch" though.

Lediur
Jul 16, 2007
The alternative to anything is nothing.
When I was in China I found this guy just sitting on the sidewalk:

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Bob Socko posted:

A few recent photos of what I believe are Goldfinches. These were shot using a Sony a850 and the Sony 70-400mm f/4-5.6 lens. I changed the third one to black and white as I've always felt like fast motion looks more interesting without color. That, and the bird had a strange red spot under its wing - I assume it's just a spot that's bare of feathers, and you're never going to see it unless you're really lucky with a photo like this one.

First two are indeed Gold Finches. Third one looks more like a house finch or purple finch though.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

This bird is the coolest bird. Don't have a clue what it is but it let me get to around 4 feet from him no problem as he sat on the beach like this. I probably could have gotten close but didn't want to scare him away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

This bird is the coolest bird. Don't have a clue what it is but it let me get to around 4 feet from him no problem as he sat on the beach like this. I probably could have gotten close but didn't want to scare him away.

Some kind of Cormorant/Shag, but it's definitely not North American so I don't have a clue.