Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

People are trying to play Deus Ex 1 with controllers.

Can I slap people through the internet now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

I'm playing shifter mod, and I'm wondering if electrostatic discharge is any good, will I be able to beat the crap out of robots later with a stick or is it not worth it over strength?

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

^You know, I think I never tried it out. That was actually my favorite thing in DX:IW, bringing hard justice to anything via the baton fist (and flipping out then reloading if I got irritated). My DX folder is a mess or I'd try it out; if you find out (via cheats or whatever), please tell me how well it works.

Okay, this is pretty much OT, but if you haven't heard Harvey Smith (Lead Designer of Deus Ex) is working as co-creative director on a new game which was announced earlier today called Dishonored developed by Arkane Studios and published by Bethesda. Interesting quote:

Game Informer via RockPaperShotgun posted:

“It’s a game about assassination where you don’t have to kill anyone. It’s a game about infiltration where you can set up traps and slaughter the entire garrison of an aristocrat’s mansion rather than sneak in. It’s a game about brutal violence where you can slip in and out of a fortified barracks with nobody ever knowing you were there. It’s a game about morality and player choice where the world you create is based on your actions, not navigating conversation trees.”

It sounds like Thief and Hitman and Deus Ex and STALKER and none of them. It looks like Half-Life 2 (quite a lot, in fact) and BioShock and 1984 and none of them.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Doom Goon posted:

Interesting quote:

That's vague as hell. You can use that to describe Hitman/Death to Spies/Deus Ex and it would fit like a glove. And "It looks like this, but then it doesn't. It plays like this, but then it doesn't" is such crappy writing.

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
I thought I had seen all conversation branches in this game, but I found this while randomly browsing Youtube. Anyone knows how to get it in the game?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

epitaph posted:

I thought I had seen all conversation branches in this game, but I found this while randomly browsing Youtube. Anyone knows how to get it in the game?

It says it in the description. This is from a flag that isn't used in the game, but was left in the code.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Why haven't I posted in this thread yet?

Anyway, I've been working on a hi-resolution UI mod. At the moment when running at 1280x960 or higher it doubles the the size of all of the UI elements. You can patch the exe to not scale it, but then you have to deal with tiny buttons and text which can be a strain to read.

Using the DirectX 10 renderer you can replace artwork on the fly with Hi-Res alternatives and I decided to use that approach. I'm not just lazily scaling up the existing artwork and adding some crappy filter or filling in pixels, I'm essentially recreating the original artwork in vector using Inkscape and exporting it as bitmaps with alpha channels.

It's nowhere near complete, but I have a screenshot of the latest font and some updated UI elements running at 1080p:

Obviously you'll have to maximise that. You'll notice it doesn't look radically different, which is kind of the point. Instead it looks cleaner and less jagged.

So far I've done 2 fonts, some UI backgrounds like the news terminal and email, the cursors and the augmentation, notes and mission HUD backgrounds.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

SwissCM posted:

Anyway, I've been working on a hi-resolution UI mod.

Will it be compatible with Biomod? AFAIK there's one out there already, but it modifies the same files and so is not. :(

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It should work with anything, though if the mod modifies the art files the hi-res ones take priority so it might look a bit messed up. If the changes aren't that extensive it would be as easy as deleting whatever hi-res artwork that is incompatible.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

SwissCM posted:

I don't have a hi-res setup but that l:stare:

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003
Eleven years later, why have we not seen a mod that covers what may have happened if you had stayed loyal to UNATCO? I'd play the hell out of that. :sigh:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

NecroBob posted:

Eleven years later, why have we not seen a mod that covers what may have happened if you had stayed loyal to UNATCO? I'd play the hell out of that. :sigh:

To keep the game on track, there'd probably be a bit where Simons tells everyone at UNATCO to kill you anyway because you're asking too many questions or whatever, though I can imagine a few scenarios that might have you going to the same locations still.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'd imagine that you end up flying to Hong Kong where you get turned, and the game proceeds from there.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

NecroBob posted:

It took The Nameless Mod seven years to get a release so the odds of something like that ever actually coming out are next to zero, but yes, agreed. :smith:

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes
If you speak Russian - Project 2027 has been released. It looks like eventually they plan to release an English language version.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

epitaph posted:

Get the information about UNATCO from their base in NYC, but don't use the dish. Return to Paul and that conversations results - apparently it's not meant to happen though, so what the gently caress. :psyduck:

It blew my goddamn mind when I did. I genuinely thought I could stay with UNATCO, but alas.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It took The Nameless Mod seven years to get a release so the odds of something like that ever actually coming out are next to zero, but yes, agreed. :smith:

The Nameless Mod has more content in it than a lot of retail games. Especially when you consider the two really different storylines. The fact that it only took seven years considering it's just a mod is amazing. And yet still no Half-Life Source?

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I'd imagine that you end up flying to Hong Kong where you get turned, and the game proceeds from there.
I'd rather it stick to being with UNATCO and mirror the game as it has been. You go to Hong Kong to assassinate Tracer Tong, have to thwart Everett and the French terrorists, stop the Savages from sabotaging the Ocean Lab. I think the end could be broadly the same; Bob Page could try to take you out and you have to replace/kill him.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme
I received this spam on my work email inbox:

susanholford@gmx.com posted:

Hello ,

Greetings to you,

Please have no fear over the receipt of this email as i must keep a low
profile concerning this important issue i want to discuss with you.

There is a Financial Portfolio in the firm i work with which i would
really love to discuss with you about and i believe this account has very
close ties to you because it is believed to have belonged to a late
distant relative of yours, Mr. W. S

Please respond back to me via email so that i can give you a
comprehensive detailed explanation into this project.

Regards,
Ms>Susan Holford

I created an email account jc.denton and replied. Let's see if the scammer takes the bait..

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
Poor uncle Wally. Maybe you'll inherit his implants.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Underflow posted:

Poor uncle Wally Walton Simons.

What a shame.

butt baby
Nov 4, 2009
Is there a way to change the difficulty of a savegame? I just realized medium is becoming way too easy

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

There's no easy way. I think you could just be able to cheat and set the flags which determine the "difficulty" (I want to say there are at least 3), but I'm not familiar with that at all and had no luck researching. You'd also have to know the levels Deus Ex (and whichever mods) set it to per difficulty, and if the flags "travel". Maybe someone who is familiar with Deus Ex editing would know; it does suck there seems to be no big resource. Sorry!

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Type "set deusexplayer combatdifficulty x" into the console where x is 1.0 for easy, 1.5 for medium, 2.0 for hard, 4.0 for realistic, or any other number if you feel like experimenting. In vanilla this number is used to multiply damage to the player and that's it, but with Shifter and Biomod if you set it to 4.1 or above it'll activate "unrealistic" mode with all of the wackiness that entails.

Edit: The easiest way to get to the console is to press 't' to talk, then press backspace a few times to get rid of the "Say ", and then you can enter your command.

Lork fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 26, 2011

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes
Decided to reinstall (for the millionth time) and am trying Biomod for the first time. I'm confused about the pickpocketing though - does it work on all enemies or just enemies with keys? I haven't been able to pickpocket anyone so far.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Stump Truck posted:

Decided to reinstall (for the millionth time) and am trying Biomod for the first time. I'm confused about the pickpocketing though - does it work on all enemies or just enemies with keys? I haven't been able to pickpocket anyone so far.
You can only pickpocket keys, so only enemies with keys can be pickpocketed, simple as that.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's not strictly Deus Ex but I would like to remind everyone that Bloodlines is on sale until tomorrow: http://store.steampowered.com/app/2600/

:siren: Activision has discounted a game, these are the end times. :siren:

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes

Lork posted:

You can only pickpocket keys, so only enemies with keys can be pickpocketed, simple as that.

Also - does Biomod have the unrealistic difficulty or do you need vanilla shifter for that? I saw that Biomod was shifter + other changes so I'm a little confused.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Stump Truck posted:

Also - does Biomod have the unrealistic difficulty or do you need vanilla shifter for that? I saw that Biomod was shifter + other changes so I'm a little confused.
It does. You right click on "Realistic" to enable it, just like in Shifter.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's not strictly Deus Ex but I would like to remind everyone that Bloodlines is on sale until tomorrow: http://store.steampowered.com/app/2600/

:siren: Activision has discounted a game, these are the end times. :siren:

Seriously, this is probably the most Deus Ex-ish game to not actually be Deus Ex; you have vampiric powers instead of augs and there are pre-set classes, but otherwise it's Deus Ex in modern-day Santa Monica. Don't be scared off by the vampire setting, it's really fun and well-written and I have a ridiculously low tolerance for fantasy in general.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Yeah, if you like what people are calling the Immersive Sim style of game, of which Deus Ex is probably the highest-profile example, Bloodlines is mandatory.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I too agree that Bloodlines is the closest thing to Deus Ex until DX3 comes out. It is awesome.

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes

Grand Fromage posted:

I too agree that Bloodlines is the closest thing to Deus Ex until DX3 comes out. It is awesome.

Bloodlines is pretty good - just make sure you have all the unofficial patches installed to get the best experience.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Stump Truck posted:

Bloodlines is pretty good - just make sure you have all the unofficial patches installed to get the best experience.

Is there more than one? I thought there was only one.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Comic posted:

Is there more than one? I thought there was only one.

There's only one now, wesp's (which includes the option to install restored content and balance fixes as well as bugfixes or just the bugfixes - pick the content/balance option so you get everything, it's all high quality). There's also a couple of mods like the Camarilla or Clan Quest mods which are discussed in the Bloodlines thread.

Also Human Revolution is going to be so loving good.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

butt baby posted:

Is there a way to change the difficulty of a savegame? I just realized medium is becoming way too easy

You should play on Realistic, I loved it. You can still feel like an augmented murdering bad motherfucker but you feel skilled when you pull poo poo off. Ended up quicksaving a lot though.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

TehGherkin posted:

You should play on Realistic, I loved it. You can still feel like an augmented murdering bad motherfucker but you feel skilled when you pull poo poo off. Ended up quicksaving a lot though.
I agree. It's not super-difficult like "Serious" in Serious Sam, "Impossible" in Witcher etc. I think playing on high difficulty in games like this improves the experience by forcing you to use everything in your toolkit.

TinKelp
Jan 9, 2007
:dukedog:
Buglord

NecroBob posted:

Wasn't this the big thing about Hotel Carone? I never got the chance to get far in it but the first thing you do is tell Manderley if you want to stay with UNATCO or leave.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

TinKelp posted:

Wasn't this the big thing about Hotel Carone? I never got the chance to get far in it but the first thing you do is tell Manderley if you want to stay with UNATCO or leave.
There was also UNATCO Born, personally I was looking forward to that one for a long, long time.

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Oh, yeah - I've still got two copies of Deus Ex GOTY kicking around from when I did the giveaway during the summer sale (two people didn't bother claiming their copy). Obviously pretty much everyone in here has it already, but in case someone is reading this thread and has never played Deus Ex, let me know if you want a copy (it's free, I'm not expecting anything in return).

All gone!

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 2, 2011