Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Team BoJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Rebuilt my exhaust with sheet aluminum and a bunch of rivets since the carbon fiber was crushed. Works well, has a few small leaks, oh well. Still haven't got to the other stuff but I did adjust my clutch cable with the new lever in and tightened the chain since it some how was all messed up after getting clipped by my friend.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Replaced the 105/107.5 mains with the correct 110/112.5, removed the 2 shims from under each needle, and reset the pilot screws to 2 turns out (they were at 3-1/2).

gently caress you, PO.

e: Also a sync, because I could see with my naked eye how far apart they were.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 10, 2011

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Replaced coils and wires on my 77 Honda CB750K. Coils were easy. Wires were a pain the rear end cause I had make em myself. I'm not real confident that the ends that connect to the coil will stay put. Still, it is running much better and it so longer missing!! Maybe tomorrow I'll electrical tape the piss out of them.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Changed out my turn signals with lower profile jobs to make clearance for the saddle bags I need to mount up before my trip to Yellowstone.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Crayvex posted:

Wires were a pain the rear end cause I had make em myself. I'm not real confident that the ends that connect to the coil will stay put. Still, it is running much better and it so longer missing!! Maybe tomorrow I'll electrical tape the piss out of them.

Next time, try these.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

^^^

Yeah, I knew those existed but a goon gave me a great deal on a set of dyna coils.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Fair enough.

anchorite
Sep 22, 2009
I took it to a track day for the first time and successfully got rid of the last bit of my chicken strips and started wearing down my knee pucks. I can see how track days can very easily turn into an addiction, I have a list of things to work on for next time. There's only two more local track days this season, but I'm definitely going to try to make both.

The ride home felt weird, the world was too upright.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
The ST got new Bridgestone BT-023 tires and new rear flange bearings. There were 9951 miles on the set of BT-023's that was pulled off. The actual wheel bearings front and rear were OK, but the ones in the flange drive were toast. Replacement was pretty easy, for the bearings at least.

I also tried my hand at manually demounting the tires by hand with some spoons. Never a-loving-gain. I managed to get the bead broken, but I couldn't get the tire to drop down enough into the rim to get the bars in, and the few times I did get them in, I couldn't manage to lever the sidewall over the edge of the rim. After fighting with it for a while, I gave up and took the wheels and new tires to a local rider's house, where his Cycle Hill changer made short work of it all.

Raven457 fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 11, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Did you break both the beads? You have to break the beads all the way around and then force them into the drop center to have enough slack to get them over the lip. You lift the bottom bead up into the drop center and then force it over the lip with the iron.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
Yeah, I had both beads broken. I think a combination of being on the garage floor, trying to hold the tire up, the rim down, and the bars all at the same time really made it suck rear end.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ordered reflective rim tape today. Always wanted to add some to my previous bikes but never got around to doing it. I just know I'm going to butcher the install.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

kylej posted:

Ordered reflective rim tape today. Always wanted to add some to my previous bikes but never got around to doing it. I just know I'm going to butcher the install.

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=75278

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

Mine came with an applicator that made it almost impossible to gently caress up. Had a guide on it to keep it even and such.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
I applied mine by hand and eye and although if you measured it it wouldn't be perfect it looks great. Don't sweat it. Just lightly tack it down as you go, that way you an reposition if needed. At the end you give it all a good firm press to really stick it.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Ugh, where to begin. Another lesson in the perils of multi-bike ownership. If today doesn't earn me a ticket straight back to noob school, I don't know what does.

Saturday, I visit the boys at Batteries Plus to get their Mongo X2 unit for the Nighthawk, which has even better specs than the Big Crank recommended by most longtime DOHC riders. Early DOHCs spit out run of the mill batteries like a baby eating strained peas. I install it. It rocks. The bike is pure joy--impeccable manners in town, fire and forget through turns, a really forgiving gearbox, and just a hint of audible race DNA when you grab a handful, even if it is too pudgy to get out of its own way. It responded so well to the transplant that I rode it a good part of the weekend.

Today I opt out of lunch and figure I'll do a vehicle swap and supply run instead, given the surprise storms that hit southeast MI today. The rain is light and tolerable at takeoff. Something is amiss though, and it doesn't seem to want to rev up fully. I put it down to an abbreviated warm-up and proceed to roll out, figuring I'll just finesse it up to operating temp. Still wonky. I go down the road about a quarter mile and two things happen--the skies unload and the bike goes dead. I'm thinking electrical all the way, maybe waterlogged wires, munched battery, whatever. I am literally dead in the water and reviewing my options, and they all suck. It's hard to be lucid and methodical when you're getting hit with a firehose.

Then I come around to the left, and there it is...my formerly automatic, nowadays manual fuel valve sitting in the off position. DAAAAAAAAAAR DEEE DOIIIIHHH DAAARRRRRRRRRRRR DURRRR.

Bring on the Picard forehead slaps, I have it coming.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That happens. In fact, just last week (wednesday or so) I hopped on my Enfield to go to the gym, and just three or four blocks downhill the bike sputters and dies. Now, I did have my fuel tap on for this first death, it was simply a fouled spark plug (my Enfield eats spark plugs like your DOHC eats oem batteries, fact of life). I run back up to my house, because for whatever reason I don't have a spare plug on the bike. Run back down the four blocks, change the plug out, and decide to head straight back to the house to grab something.

Turn the corner in the driveway and the bike dies, again. FFFFUUUUCCCCKKK. Remove the new plug, check it for fouling, try to kick the bike over for 10 minutes, then realize I turned the fuel tap off when I change the plug out. Only after a severe self-dopeslap do I head back out to the gym.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Marv Hushman posted:

DAAAAAAAAAAR DEEE DOIIIIHHH DAAARRRRRRRRRRRR DURRRR.

The mystery of why Marv returned from lunch in a brand new outfit is now explained! I, on the other hand, managed to ride home without a drop of rain on me. Should have waited for the storm to pass!

As for me, I rode my old Honda in today. It rides so much better with the new(er) shocks.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Geirskogul posted:

my Enfield eats spark plugs like your DOHC eats oem batteries, fact of life...

Turn the corner in the driveway and the bike dies, again.

I really wouldn't mind making dumb moves now and again if they didn't breed so quickly...

Also, my Sportster hereby challenges your Enfield to a plug eating contest. Marquess of Queensbury rules.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Put a new Shinko 244 on the rear, jesus, that's a tough one to get on.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've done the fuel petcock thing during motocross races. At first it's like "Wow, my bike's running fast! "And then it's "Why the gently caress won't my bike start?!" followed soon after by a facepalm.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Marv Hushman posted:

DAAAAAAAAAAR DEEE DOIIIIHHH DAAARRRRRRRRRRRR DURRRR.

GO TEAM OLA!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Crayvex posted:

Replaced coils and wires on my 77 Honda CB750K. Coils were easy. Wires were a pain the rear end cause I had make em myself. I'm not real confident that the ends that connect to the coil will stay put. Still, it is running much better and it so longer missing!! Maybe tomorrow I'll electrical tape the piss out of them.

so you got the coils?
awesome.

you shouldn't need electrical tape.
did you put new wires on or the ones I sent?
you can use the boots off the old wires to help hold new wires on

glad to hear those shocks are working out alright.
I have to confess I pulled them apart and doublechecked (and sodablasted) everything before I sent them just to be 100% sure they were as good as I promised.
Shiny aren't they?

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 13, 2011

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

you shouldn't need electrical tape. Yeah, I was being paranoid. I finished putting on the new wires I made at 10:00 PM. I was loopy.
did you put new wires on or the ones I sent? I tested with yours and then bought a new V8 performance set..without resistor caps.
you can use the boots off the old wires to help hold new wires on That's exactly what I ended up doing. They just didn't feel as solid as my old KZ1000P wire/coil connection

glad to hear those shocks are working out alright.
I have to confess I pulled them apart and doublechecked (and sodablasted) everything before I sent them just to be 100% sure they were as good as I promised.
Shiny aren't they?

Hell yeah they are! Although they are squeaky. It sounds like its from the spring rubbing against the caps.

The old one is on top. The lovely phone pic doesn't show how rotten the old one looked. It really handles much much better!

More info here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3218554&pagenumber=11#post393427324

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Crayvex posted:

Hell yeah they are! Although they are squeaky. It sounds like its from the spring rubbing against the caps.

yea all my bell springs do that too. i think it's the tip of the spring rubbing inside the bell housing

...OH GOD IS THAT A CHUNK OF THE BELLHOUSING MISSING ON YOUR PREVIOUS SHOCK??? :gonk:

I'm really stoked that everything worked out for you.
Keep an eye on your points and charging system though. Those coils are much lower resistance than stock ones, and even with stock ones some people use resistor caps.

If you have points I recommend getting one of Hondaman's Transistorized Ignitions. If you're running an electronic ignition then you should probably put resistor caps on to keep the unit from overheating.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

yea all my bell springs do that too. i think it's the tip of the spring rubbing inside the bell housing

...OH GOD IS THAT A CHUNK OF THE BELLHOUSING MISSING ON YOUR PREVIOUS SHOCK??? :gonk:

I'm really stoked that everything worked out for you.
Keep an eye on your points and charging system though. Those coils are much lower resistance than stock ones, and even with stock ones some people use resistor caps.

If you have points I recommend getting one of Hondaman's Transistorized Ignitions. If you're running an electronic ignition then you should probably put resistor caps on to keep the unit from overheating.

Yes, that is a chunk of the bell housing missing. Great huh?

As far as the ignition system, really? I really don't know anything beyond POINTS -> Coils -> Wire ->Plug -> Explosion = :) What do I need to do again?

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Crayvex posted:

Yes, that is a chunk of the bell housing missing. Great huh?

You installed a car transmission on the 750? That IS neat.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I gave my 650 a bath. it's nice not to have year old rainspots on it anymore.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Marv Hushman posted:

You installed a car transmission on the 750? That IS neat.

har har. I meant bell cover.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Flushed the old brake fluid today. Pretty gnarly.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Went out in the morning, expecting to ride into work on a beautiful day, and started checking tire pressures.

Front: a psi or two low, no biggie.
Back: uh...nothing? That's can't be right.

Come back with the pump, put in about 40 psi, and pull off the pump: Pssssssss.

Goddamnit. :(

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Swapped in NGK Iridium plugs... I broke one early this week by over-torquing it. Had to get the threads out by hammering a torx socket into it then unscrewing. Got the tank and airbox back on as well. Have to put the other set of fairings back on still then maybe I can ride Sunday but I'll probably be too busy fixing the AC in the Buick and doing my friend's rear brakes on his Infiniti.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Chris Knight posted:

Went out in the morning, expecting to ride into work on a beautiful day, and started checking tire pressures.

Front: a psi or two low, no biggie.
Back: uh...nothing? That's can't be right.

Come back with the pump, put in about 40 psi, and pull off the pump: Pssssssss.

Goddamnit. :(

I had the back register zero once...Indiana corn country in the wet, and I knew something was amiss because I had to fight it to keep it from walking out to the center stripe. TCLOCS, people.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Added Road King Classic bags to the ol' vstar today. Had to run a support brace across the rear between em under the fender to stiffen things up, should be a perfect mount for wicked huge red running lights.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Bah ! got stopped by law enforcement for the 2nd time in a month, I guess I better lay back an be content doing under the speed limit behind some cages for a while :(

both times let off with a warning.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Today I overslept a bit so walking 30 mins to work would've made me show up 20 mins late. Rode the bike instead, a bit squiddish without pants or boots. Weather forecast for when I leave work says it will piss down. That'll teach me.

Also: I moved from A to B at opposite sides of the city center recently. A and B are equally distant from C, my workplace, which is in the middle. The first day I walked to work we were called in to a meeting. "Guys, we need a bigger and better place, we're moving to point A". So the distance to work instantly doubled. Oh well, only from 2.8 to 5 km. And due to my spergy cost analysis earlier, I know the bike will be 5 times cheaper than the bus.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Ola posted:

Today I overslept a bit so walking 30 mins to work would've made me show up 20 mins late. Rode the bike instead, a bit squiddish without pants or boots. Weather forecast for when I leave work says it will piss down. That'll teach me.

Did you wear underpants at least? :ohdear:

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

infraboy posted:

Bah ! got stopped by law enforcement for the 2nd time in a month, I guess I better lay back an be content doing under the speed limit behind some cages for a while :(

both times let off with a warning.

God help you when you buy a literbike :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts
Cleaned behind my front sprocket cover. I was having stuff drip from the cover and my kickstand was nice and black from it, so I knew that was quite the buildup behind it. It wasn't has bad as I thought it would be, messy, but not too bad. Then I washed her and lubed the chain.