Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Is Minecraft actually fun in anything beyond a Gary's Mod style of play? Are there servers where you can play it like a Rougelike too? If it's anything beyond a "building machines out of pistons" right off the bat, if you need to add that functionality by going on certain servers/installing certain mods, or if it's only just the building of machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Lord Jigger posted:

So on Tuesday I sent a friend $200 through PayPal for some goods, but for some dumb reason I marked it as a gift. Two days later PayPal limited his access to his account, and took the $200 away from him. Is there any hope to get my money back? If so, I'm not sure exactly how to proceed. I can't dispute it with the "Item dispute" option, since I marked it as a gift.

You will get it back, it just takes time. Paypal doesnt keep money, just holds onto it for a while like assholes.

Lord Jigger
May 8, 2008

Bojanglesworth posted:

You will get it back, it just takes time. Paypal doesnt keep money, just holds onto it for a while like assholes.

Well that sounds great, but how exactly do I start to go about getting the money back? I cant file a Item Dispute, and I doubt that they'll buy a Unauthorized Transaction dispute, since I've sent money to him in the past.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

feedmyleg posted:

Is Minecraft actually fun in anything beyond a Gary's Mod style of play? Are there servers where you can play it like a Rougelike too? If it's anything beyond a "building machines out of pistons" right off the bat, if you need to add that functionality by going on certain servers/installing certain mods, or if it's only just the building of machines.

I'd like to know this, too. I've thought about checking it out, but I'm honestly too boring of a person to actually come up with stuff to build; I need some kind of goal or something.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Lord Jigger posted:

Well that sounds great, but how exactly do I start to go about getting the money back? I cant file a Item Dispute, and I doubt that they'll buy a Unauthorized Transaction dispute, since I've sent money to him in the past.

Patience. If they limited his account they will just give you your money back. If you are impatient you can call the customer support number and talk to someone that may be able to make things go faster.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

feedmyleg posted:

No. Any type of PVP style game is terrible because the net code is so poor. I know there are/were free for all servers like Goonimati but that's basically "Garys' Mod Style of play only people blow your stuff up".

Lord Jigger posted:

It's not your money to get back. If it's really your "friend" he owes you whatever you bought from him. It's his problem.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 10, 2011

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Schweinhund posted:

No. Any type of PVP style game is terrible because the net code is so poor. I know there are/were free for all servers like Goonimati but that's basically "Garys' Mod Style of play only people blow your stuff up".

It's not your money to get back. If it's really your "friend" he owes you whatever you bought from him. It's his problem.

drat, I like the look of it and some of its ideas so much I was hoping. Maybe I'll try Dwarf Fortress with one of its fancy graphical or 3D mods.

I guess I basically just want 3D Dot Heroes but don't want to buy a PS3 :(

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 10, 2011

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Schweinhund posted:

You don't have many friends, do you?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I recently spilled some laundry detergent on my hardwood floors and didn't notice until it was dry. The stain turned out medium-brown and the area is fairly small -4 inches in circumfrance but oddly shaped and not filling the whole area. Over the past few days I've tried various home remedies over the past couple of days (vinegar, cider vinegar, baking soda, Murphy soap oil) but nothing's really worked, or it's worked so little I haven't been able to tell the difference. I have continuous hardwood floors throughout the apartment and want to know if there's any way I can do this without sanding the entire room/apartment as the Home Depot guy suggested.

Even if I could rent a small hand sander and only sand the area then go over it with polyurethane that would be great - though keep in mind I have no experience with anything like this. I heard maybe getting mineral spirits could work? I'm willing to try pretty much anything at this point.

Is there a way I can take care of this myself and not lose my (significant) deposit? I'd totally be up for calling in a professional, especially if they were here for a short enough time for the landlord not to get wind of it. Or would no legitimate professional work without the landlord's explicit permission?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Besesoth posted:

I continue to be flatly astonished that a bank charging a non-customer a fee for cashing a check drawn on that bank doesn't violate some kind of usury law

Apparently you have no clue what the word usury means then!

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

hooah posted:

I'd like to know this, too. I've thought about checking it out, but I'm honestly too boring of a person to actually come up with stuff to build; I need some kind of goal or something.

The YogBox mod compilation includes a mod that adds NPC villages with villagers that you can trade with and help build new buildings. It also adds a bunch of other fun crap like airships and an insane kung-fu skeleton that murders you during lightning storms until you become so paranoid you hide in a bunker every time it rains.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Does anybody recognize this brand logo? It's on the side of a leather sofa/lounge suite. Australia, if it matters, but could easily be a foreign brand.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

Wagonburner posted:

edit: river city ransom avatar. nice.

Shmorky made it for me for $5. He's got a thread in SA Mart where you can request avatars, but I'm not sure if he's still making them.

He's made hundreds of the drat things.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

MyRyyVY4CqgspopVHeeV
Qp3r8BXt5Gpi368A50an
u9evnY2FQxzh0T40WNVn
11WIyiPTui3PXDUdMdlM
DFj68g48Hqcqpcrnxgst
yl574zBlE4iEc1naktpP
LgLqArdeACJEna07KD7t
BWlqEAWXM0Be6RAvCppk
xzSAwbDL8Rr6o5gpyxZ1
JyYoEFXP0XKp8gwFSEuO

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 28, 2023

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Lord Jigger posted:

Cause he linked me to this screencap

He showed me another that showing a message that said "Your PayPal account is connected by one or more personal pieces of information to another account that has a negative balance."

It sounds to me like your friend has two paypal accounts, one of which had a hefty negative balance associated with it, and PayPal took the money you gifted him in order to pay off his debt. Am I reading this wrong?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zero Gravitas posted:

Plus, does anyone know of a site that randomly generates maths problems? I'm out of practice with calculus and need some practice.

Have you tried skimming homework help sites for problems first? Tons of kids posting calculus problems online expecting people to do their math homework for them.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

How does pay and banking and stuff work in the US anyway? I'm from Denmark where checks are pretty much exclusively a novelty and everyone has a bank account. When I get hired I just tell my employer my Social Security Number and my full name and with that they can find my bank account and set up a direct transfer of pay to my account. I can also access my account from the Internet and pay bills and make transfers to friends, without any fees. Also I get a credit card tied to the bank account for no cost except overdraft fees.

How much of this is commonplace in the US, and what are the alternatives you use? And why are checks still something you have to deal with?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

feedmyleg posted:

drat, I like the look of it and some of its ideas so much I was hoping. Maybe I'll try Dwarf Fortress with one of its fancy graphical or 3D mods.

I guess I basically just want 3D Dot Heroes but don't want to buy a PS3 :(

Play on the lost shard (look at the private game servers forum too), we have castable magic/a skill and economy system/pvp stuff.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

feedmyleg posted:

hooah posted:

I'm not much of a gamer and I enjoy Minecraft. I'm not creative enough to build stuff most of the time, but I really like exploring and trying to gather resources. Getting stuff seems to satisfy some sad little collector part of my brain. Even though the stuff I build isn't very interesting, it's still kind of neat to finish it and feel like an awesome architect. I should go outside more :( (I also have "mobs" turned off so I don't have to worry about getting killed except when I fall into lava)

You can play the web based one for free, so you might as well try it. Tip: when you spawn for the first time, punch down a tree & collect the wood. Then make a pickax (check out minecraftwiki.net for recipes) and go in search of coal. Then you can make torches & dig other stuff up. I didn't know that at first so I just dug the dirt a bit and said WELP THAT'S BORING and stopped.

BonHair posted:

How does pay and banking and stuff work in the US anyway? I'm from Denmark where checks are pretty much exclusively a novelty and everyone has a bank account. When I get hired I just tell my employer my Social Security Number and my full name and with that they can find my bank account and set up a direct transfer of pay to my account. I can also access my account from the Internet and pay bills and make transfers to friends, without any fees. Also I get a credit card tied to the bank account for no cost except overdraft fees.

How much of this is commonplace in the US, and what are the alternatives you use? And why are checks still something you have to deal with?

An awful lot of people don't have a bank account. Paychecks can be deposited directly into people's accounts if they fill out a direct deposit form with the bank name, account numbers, SSN and all that. Paying bills online and making transfers sometimes means fees; it depends on the bank & your account level. Credit cards are so hosed up here that I'm not really sure how they compare. Often you can get a debit card that draws directly from your account though. Checks are still used for people who don't have bank accounts, for transactions between people like rent, bill payment (though this is increasingly possible online), etc. They're discouraged for things like restaurants & shopping purchases and a lot of places refuse them. That's mainly because they might bounce, though, and not so much because they're a hassle.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

tractor fanatic posted:

What is the origin of the term "inscrutable Japanese"

I feel like this could be traced to The Chrysanthemum and the Sword, one of the first anthropology books to be written about the Japanese. A lot of it is crap, but a lot of popular conceptions about the Japanese can be traced back to it as well.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
What's the name of that old cartoon where a present day family falls in a time warp and ends up living with cavemen and fighting dinosaurs? I'm pretty sure it was a Hannah-Barbera cartoon.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

tractor fanatic posted:

What is the origin of the term "inscrutable Japanese"

From The things they say behind your back: stereotypes and the myths behind them by William B. Helmreich (1984)

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
How far is it to yesterday?

kapalama fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 10, 2011

Lord Jigger
May 8, 2008

Gravity Pike posted:

It sounds to me like your friend has two paypal accounts, one of which had a hefty negative balance associated with it, and PayPal took the money you gifted him in order to pay off his debt. Am I reading this wrong?

I think that is pretty much it. Is there any hope?

Lord Jigger fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 10, 2011

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kapalama posted:

It will also work if you simply hold a cable near the plug on the back of your TV set without touching. How do you explain that?

Because neither the center "conductor" nor the external "Shielding" are carrying a signal. The "Insulator" is where the broadcast signal is traveling. Or, more correctly, the space where you see insulator.

If you put the cable somewhere near the back of your TV set, the signal will (as RF signals do) travel through air (or other "Insulators" as the case may be.)

You mean an "insulator" like air, through which we all recieved RF signals daily?

Electromagnetic waves are only a little bit like electricity, and little of what insulates for one, insulates for another. An electrified Faraday Cage is a perfect example.

Because signal leaks out, man. Actually on my TV set that doesn't work anymore because they shut off analog signal, but if I do the same thing to my digital cable box I'll be lucky to get any channels at all on it since the signal will be far too weak and with a decent bit of interference, and if I try that with the cable modem I'd completely lose connection.

No that's actually completely false.

Again, this is because some signal will leak out but it's coming from the core of the cable. And air is actually a rather poor insulator for electromagnetic waves, mate. Like if air was a good insulator against electromagnetic radiation, it'd be practically impossible to broadcast anything. Are you getting confused with how keeping an air gap insulates against electrical current, a different thing?

Again, not an insulator against electromagnetic waves, well, not the ones we use for broadcasting at least.

Yeah, uh, I think you've really misunderstood some physics lecture at some point.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Zero Gravitas posted:

Plus, does anyone know of a site that randomly generates maths problems? I'm out of practice with calculus and need some practice.

Randomly? Maybe not. But if you want tons of problems/quizzes and lecture refreshers etc., I suggest you check out the SAP Online Resource Thread over in Science, Academics and Philosophy, specifically the multidisciplinary resource list and the mathematics resource list; there are many different sites that might be able to help you.

In case you weren't aware, SAP also has a thread for asking math questions and a thread for finding free goon tutoring if you need.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

kapalama posted:

How far is it to yesterday?

an hour and fifty one minutes over here

(edit - contrary to what the time stamp on the post says)

Question: Can anyone tell me what's happening here? Tineye's got nothing.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 10, 2011

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Bojanglesworth posted:

Yeah, because I am going to pay a fee just so some whiny baby doesn't cry about their job later. First off, it isn't your money so who the gently caress cares, second the fee is bullshit to begin with. Not to mention that saying, 'do you mind waiving the fee for me?' is all it takes, its not like I am showing up with a dozen roses.

Right, but the teller doesn't control the bank. The teller can get in trouble, however, for waiving every fee for every oh so polite customer who comes to the counter. Not every bank charges for this kind of thing. As for those that do: just open up a bank account of your own somewhere and you can have all the free checks cashed you want! Simple!

Besesoth posted:

I continue to be flatly astonished that a bank charging a non-customer a fee for cashing a check drawn on that bank doesn't violate some kind of usury law.

"Free Checking!" (because we're going to charge the people you write checks to fees instead!)

Not every bank does that. The banks who do may have huge account goals to meet or something. If you open an account with them, they'll deposit that check with no fee. It sucks, but so do account goals.

SnowblindFatal posted:

Yeah, from my experience, all bank fees are pretty much bullshit. They make their profits from actually holding the money, and everything besides that is just unnecessary milking. The big customers don't have to pay a cent for services, you can count on that.

You're right, most of the fees are gigantic bullshit and it's a shame. I'm just saying it doesn't mean you should hassle a teller to make your day easier. As a teller, I'd love to waive more fees but I need a source of income.

I don't get why people just don't open their own bank accounts somewhere so they don't have to worry about originating banks and bullshit like that.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Huntersoninski posted:

I don't get why people just don't open their own bank accounts somewhere so they don't have to worry about originating banks and bullshit like that.

I have several bank accounts at two different banks. The point of cashing a check on the bank it was written on is so you can either have cash, or in my case can deposit cash into my own bank. I have direct deposit for both of my jobs so the only case where I am going into a different bank to cash a check is when it is for freelance work.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Yeah there's good credit unions almost everywhere which you should join if you don't have any account. You usually get almost no fees and such.

Banks will charge a fee to cash checks without an account because if you have an account with them and the check ends up not clearing (even if it's from the same bank), they could take the money they gave you right from your account to make up the shortfall. If you have no account of your own, they have little recourse to take the money from you if you knowingly passed a bad check or you unknowingly gave them a check that was written from an account who can't cover, so they'll charge the fee to cover their rear end.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

fishmech posted:

Yeah there's good credit unions almost everywhere which you should join if you don't have any account. You usually get almost no fees and such.

Do you have any examples? I checked with a couple of credit unions and their fees were pretty much the same as the banks.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Bojanglesworth posted:

I have several bank accounts at two different banks. The point of cashing a check on the bank it was written on is so you can either have cash, or in my case can deposit cash into my own bank. I have direct deposit for both of my jobs so the only case where I am going into a different bank to cash a check is when it is for freelance work.

Your bank won't let you cash checks there :confused: That sucks!

Also: fishmech has it right on the money (ha).

A QUESTION: I'm looking for some decent yoga instructional videos. There are so many tons of them out there: which one would be good for a beginner looking to get into yoga? My parents swear by the P90X yoga and have offered to lend it to me, but I'm not terribly flexible due to an injury and P90X seems to be all about kicking your rear end all the time.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Huntersoninski posted:

Your bank won't let you cash checks there :confused: That sucks!

Also: fishmech has it right on the money (ha).

A QUESTION: I'm looking for some decent yoga instructional videos. There are so many tons of them out there: which one would be good for a beginner looking to get into yoga? My parents swear by the P90X yoga and have offered to lend it to me, but I'm not terribly flexible due to an injury and P90X seems to be all about kicking your rear end all the time.

It all depends on how much the check is, I am not talking about a $25 check from my grandma for my birthday.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

Huntersoninski posted:

Rodney Yee's A.M. and P.M. Yoga are very good for beginners. They're 20 minutes though, so look into his other longer ones if that's too short. He guides you through stuff pretty clearly and he doesn't throw too much of that corny yoga talk into it like other people sometimes do. ("just feel your soul opening up with every movement")

e: Oh, and I personally think the P90 yoga is crap.

Jeffrey Colon fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 10, 2011

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
edit: ^^^ Thanks! I'll check them out!

Bojanglesworth posted:

It all depends on how much the check is, I am not talking about a $25 check from my grandma for my birthday.

Ok, i get it, you have a lot of bank accounts and you make a lot of money. I'm sorry you have to pay fees to carry the cash you want it totally sucks.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Huntersoninski posted:

edit: ^^^ Thanks! I'll check them out!

Ok, i get it, you have a lot of bank accounts and you make a lot of money. I'm sorry you have to pay fees to carry the cash you want it totally sucks.

I don't make a lot of money, you are jumping to retarded conclusions. I also don't carry any cash, I already clearly pointed out that I cash checks at the bank its written on so I can deposit cash into my bank account. If I get charged $5 so be it, I was just saying it is retarded.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bojanglesworth posted:

I don't make a lot of money, you are jumping to retarded conclusions. I also don't carry any cash, I already clearly pointed out that I cash checks at the bank its written on so I can deposit cash into my bank account. If I get charged $5 so be it, I was just saying it is retarded.

Wait, I don't get it, why aren't you just depositing the checks to your account?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Spermando posted:

What's the name of that old cartoon where a present day family falls in a time warp and ends up living with cavemen and fighting dinosaurs? I'm pretty sure it was a Hannah-Barbera cartoon.
Sounds like Land of the Lost but that wasn't animated. Did it have Marshall, Will, Holly, Chaka, and sleestacks?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

fishmech posted:

Apparently you have no clue what the word usury means then!

Wikipedia posted:

Originally, when the charging of interest was still banned by Christian churches, usury simply meant the charging of interest at any rate (as well as charging a fee for the use of money, such as at a bureau de change).

Apparently my use of the term was obsolete. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Lord Jigger posted:

I think that is pretty much it. Is there any hope?

Oh, you're just trying to get your money back? I thought that the idea was your friend thought that PayPal made a mistake, and you were trying to get the money to him.

Honestly, I don't know if you're going to be able to convince PayPal to refund a gift. However, I'm with the other goon who got called out for being anti-social. You paid him the money in the format that he asked for. It really ought to be his responsibility to either deliver on the goods or provide you a refund. It is 100% not your fault that his "bank" took money deposited into one of his accounts in order to pay off an overdrawn balance. It's his, for having the overdrawn account in the first place.

Am I further misunderstanding, and this "friend" is just kinda shady, and isn't playing ball?