Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tulip Candy
Jan 23, 2007

I love tuna fish and field mouse pudding.
Thank you ladies for giving me reassurance that I was not in the wrong! I was completely baffled when she became so opinionated and angry at me, usually the women at the clinic are very nice. At least this will be the last time I have to set my foot into this place since I'll finally be insured through my future husband! A regular gyno to go to? What luxury!
Also, the boy is very excited about me becoming more fertile. He wants kids RIGHT NOW.

Oh dear god, I just realized I scheduled this appointment after a random third-shift night I got assigned. Maybe I'll fall asleep and won't feel a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Hope things work out for you, Tulip! I agree that lady was way out of line.

Anyway, I got my Implanon put in yesterday. Just took off the gauze wrap so I could take a bath, and I see I have some lovely bruises.

The insertion itself was relatively painless, little pinch for the local, and it stung like a bitch when she was injecting me. I also felt a little pinch as she was shoving the Implanon in there. I guess it got beyond the reach of the local? Anyway, no problem.

It just took a long time. I had my husband come with me since I wasn't feeling well and didn't want to drive, plus moral support and blah blah. First, they were trying to solve some issues with my insurance, so we waited for an hour plus, then, the actual procedure took over an hour! I thought it would be a lot quicker than that... my husband was rather miffed, because he was bored. And I don't blame him either.

Ah well. At least it's in now, and he doesn't seem to be pissed off anymore.

Peggy Lee
Nov 17, 2005

You give me fever.

evelynevvie posted:

What bomb said. Also, the standard questions apply. Are you using anti-bacterial soap (dial, lever 2000, etc)? Do you wear Nylon underwear or nylon pantyhose a lot? Do you wear really tight jeans or pants? There's lots of things that can cause yeast infections, even mild ones, with anti-bacterial soap being the cheif culprit.
I went through a period a couple years back where I pretty much always had a drat yeaast infection, for a couple years. I tried everything. I went to the doctor and the gyno several times. I totally feel your pain here.

As far as I know, I'm doing everything 'right': cotton underpants, no skinny jeans, no soap or douching (just water and sometimes Dove unscented soap on the outside), using condoms, eating yogurt. I did pick up some chewable acidophilus tablets on a whim, figuring at worst they'd be a waste of $8, and they seem to have done a good job staving off a yeast infection from the antibiotics I'm now taking for a UTI. Maybe they'll help calm things down.

I am a hot loving mess right now. :(

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Peggy Lee posted:

As far as I know, I'm doing everything 'right': cotton underpants, no skinny jeans, no soap or douching (just water and sometimes Dove unscented soap on the outside), using condoms, eating yogurt. I did pick up some chewable acidophilus tablets on a whim, figuring at worst they'd be a waste of $8, and they seem to have done a good job staving off a yeast infection from the antibiotics I'm now taking for a UTI. Maybe they'll help calm things down.

Oof. Yeastcrap AND a UTI? Rough. We all feel for you. I hope you can nail down whatever is going wrong.

I'm up for my yearly gynocology appt soon. I'm thinking of getting a blood test done to check my hormone levels or something. TMI for the internet I suppose, but about 2 months ago I got this tender mystery lump/cysty thing under the side of my nipple and it left as mysteriously as it came after 3 days. It really irked me and it doesn't feel right to dismiss it as nothing.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Silver Falcon posted:

the actual procedure took over an hour!
:aaa: What were they doing for all that time? I've had two put in, and they took less than five minutes -- combined.

Peggy Lee posted:

Stupid question, but do the condoms have glycerin-based lube?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Anne Whateley posted:

:aaa: What were they doing for all that time? I've had two put in, and they took less than five minutes -- combined.

I mean I spent an hour from when they called me into the back to when I went out to pay my bill. The insertion itself... I can't say how long it took because I wasn't looking at the clock. She did do a lot of futzing around though. She dismissed the nurse for some reason, even though I think she could have used the help. She wasted a lot of time unwrapping things. Plus, they called two people in the room to ask me questions they'd already asked me at my consultation, and in between I was sitting there waiting for a good 10 minutes I'd say. I guess they were just really disorganized. This was PP, by the way. It's the first less-than-stellar experience I've ever had going to them, so I dunno what was going on.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Hectic day maybe would be my guess. v:shobon:v

Peggy Lee
Nov 17, 2005

You give me fever.

Kerfuffle posted:

Oof. Yeastcrap AND a UTI? Rough. We all feel for you. I hope you can nail down whatever is going wrong.

Round 2 of antibiotics, too, since the first course didn't knock it out. poo poo was getting up in my kidneys, urgh. It's enough to make me promise to be celibate if that'll keep it from happening again.

Good luck with your boob problem - here's to healthy, functioning bodies!

Anne Whateley posted:

Stupid question, but do the condoms have glycerin-based lube?

You know, I never even though about that. I'll check the box next time, and I guess it's glycerine-free Astroglide for me.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Is it worth it to use a condom with hormonal birth control, combined?

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Will it spoil me posted:

Is it worth it to use a condom with hormonal birth control, combined?

Committed relationship, new partner or one-night stand?

The condom won't do much to reduce the risk of pregnancy further unless you (her?) are inconsistent with taking the pill, but it will help prevent the spread of STIs if one of you hasn't been tested in a while.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
It's seems like it's BC roulette for me. I was on generic OthoCept and it caused me to be a raging bitch and I had the most horrifying bleeding experience ever. So my Dr. yanked me off of that and put me on NuvaRing. Apparently, that had too much estrogen in it as well since I was still having crazy mood swings. Last Friday, my doctor installed a Mirena in my uterus. And OMG, the pain is insane.

So when exactly is the pain supposed to start to abate? I'm one week in and I feel dizzy, nauseated, and I'm having contractions. I really want this one to work because we're running out of options to treat my endometriosis in a non-invasive way. The pain isn't going to kill me, I've felt worse from the endometriosis, but it's extremely tiring to have this every day, relentless pain. And since I got it installed at the very end of my period, I've been in pretty extreme pain for about 2 weeks now.

And I just got back from a check up with my doctor. She felt around, then pried me open and took a good look. She says the Mirena is still in place and everything looks fine. She's going to send me for an ultrasound just to make sure. So at least I know I'm not expelling it or anything terrifying.

Just looking for a general range of time from IUD insertion to a generally more tolerable pain level. I'm not picky, anything but agony is fine with me.

spoonfulofwhoopass
Feb 11, 2010
Okay, I just got prescribed Depo (purely for BC) today and I am terrified about it, to the point where I don't even want to pick it up from the pharmacy. I can't take any birth control containing estrogen because there are blood clots in my family history, so that's out. The doctor told me I won't get my period anymore, etc. but that the weight gain was "about six pounds in a year."

This sounds false to me, given that some of you other gals are experiencing/have experienced big weight gains. I'm already a curvy girl, I am not interested in gaining any more weight at all, under any circumstances. Will diet and exercise counteract it? I understand that the weight gain is due to appetite increase so if I eat well, will I still become Shamu? Also, I don't know how I feel about not getting my period every month. I'm very used to my body's cycle since it's 100% regular. I don't get painful periods except for very rarely. For the most part everything functions smoothly.

My main concern is the mood swings. I'm starting a new major in school and potentially getting a very important job and I can't afford to be a weepy pain in the rear end. How soon after I get the injection will I know if I'm Sybil?

Is the only way to know for sure just to try it and see? Can anyone reassure me that everything is gonna be okay? :ohdear:

But seriously, thank you to all you ladies, this thread has terrified/informed/made me laugh and I appreciate it.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

spoonfulofwhoopass posted:

Okay, I just got prescribed Depo (purely for BC) today and I am terrified about it, to the point where I don't even want to pick it up from the pharmacy. I can't take any birth control containing estrogen because there are blood clots in my family history, so that's out. The doctor told me I won't get my period anymore, etc. but that the weight gain was "about six pounds in a year."

This sounds false to me, given that some of you other gals are experiencing/have experienced big weight gains. I'm already a curvy girl, I am not interested in gaining any more weight at all, under any circumstances. Will diet and exercise counteract it? I understand that the weight gain is due to appetite increase so if I eat well, will I still become Shamu? Also, I don't know how I feel about not getting my period every month. I'm very used to my body's cycle since it's 100% regular. I don't get painful periods except for very rarely. For the most part everything functions smoothly.

My main concern is the mood swings. I'm starting a new major in school and potentially getting a very important job and I can't afford to be a weepy pain in the rear end. How soon after I get the injection will I know if I'm Sybil?

Is the only way to know for sure just to try it and see? Can anyone reassure me that everything is gonna be okay? :ohdear:

But seriously, thank you to all you ladies, this thread has terrified/informed/made me laugh and I appreciate it.

Pick it up, you can self inject depo? (I've never used it, so this is news to me) But anyway, I'm not entirely sure why your doc would specifically say that. Depo does have risk of weight gain, but it's not a guarantee. And no, weight gained by hormones really can't be gotten rid of by conventional means as far as I know. So extra dieting/exercising won't do much good. Appetite increase is at least something you can take note of and control on your own though.

If you have friendly periods have you maybe thought about a copper IUD? There are also birth control pills that don't have estrogen either. So if Depo doesn't work for you, there are other options, so don't fret.

Just remember that no side effects are guaranteed. Good luck!

spoonfulofwhoopass
Feb 11, 2010

Kerfuffle posted:

Pick it up, you can self inject depo? (I've never used it, so this is news to me) But anyway, I'm not entirely sure why your doc would specifically say that. Depo does have risk of weight gain, but it's not a guarantee. And no, weight gained by hormones really can't be gotten rid of by conventional means as far as I know. So extra dieting/exercising won't do much good. Appetite increase is at least something you can take note of and control on your own though.

If you have friendly periods have you maybe thought about a copper IUD? There are also birth control pills that don't have estrogen either. So if Depo doesn't work for you, there are other options, so don't fret.

Just remember that no side effects are guaranteed. Good luck!

No, you can't self-inject it (although I think I read that one of the ladies in here is :black101: and did it herself because she's a nurse) but you do have to buy it and bring it to the office to have it administered.

My GYN says her usual practice is to reserve IUDs for older patients who have had a baby. Seems a lot of us have been given that reason. My mother got her first IUD at 18, so I don't know why I shouldn't be able to get one.

Thanks for you answer, Kerfuffle! I feel much better now.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
My girlfriend quit her pills two months ago or something like that and her first period was normal but now her second one has lasted fifteen days and counting. To me that's like really not good but she says that her GYN said it wasn't dangerous and did happen sometimes when going off the pill.

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

Is your social worker inside that horse?

My GYN says her usual practice is to reserve IUDs for older patients who have had a baby. Seems a lot of us have been given that reason. My mother got her first IUD at 18, so I don't know why I shouldn't be able to get one.

Tell your GYN that that's bullshit, and plenty of younger women without children have them now - like most of the ladies who post in this thread! Yes, it hurts more to get it inserted if you haven't popped out a kid or two, and there's a higher (yet still quite tiny) chance of perforation/rejection, but I think that if you're aware of that and willing to accept the risk, there's no reason you should be denied it if you want it. It took me three years of asking to get mine, so this annoys me a lot :argh:

Regarding the depo, everyone has different reactions to it. I had zero periods and no mood swings, but I did gain some weight and I totally lost my sex drive. I think the important thing with the weight is to make an effort not to gain it - I didn't really notice the weight gain because it was slow, but once it was there it was impossible to get rid of. (So then I switched to Mirena because I'm vain)

Maybe when you go to get your shot, you can talk to the doctor about an IUD if you don't like the Depo? The shot lasts for 3 months, but if you don't like it, it's not like she can force you to get another one. Good luck!

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Fanky, those are all good points, but the highest risk factor for perforation is the experience of the provider... If her gyno doesn't often do them for childless women, maybe it'd be better to go to PP or similar.

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009
I have a tentative appointment set for an IUD but the lady at the clinic was not happy about that at all. Not one bit. She told me to wait and see if one more month on Cerazette will even things out a bit, and perhaps I'll change my mind and that's okay no worries you can still change your mind! Here is our number if you change your mind!

Someone hugged me last night and it felt like I'd been smacked in the tits with a two-by-four. This has gone on since March when I started Cerazette. Going up a cup size was pretty neat but this really blows. They recommended evening primrose oil, which I've been taking, but that can take months to be effective and it strikes me as being homeopathic woo-woo at times.

Walter Reuthless
Oct 26, 2006

Problems on Purpose
Hi guys, I'm having a kind of weird problem. I was on POPs for about four months because I don't do well with estrogen birth control (it makes me gain a lot of weight and get sick), but I've had to switch to a super low dose estrogen pill (Lo Loestrin) because POPs made me have my period constantly because my uterine lining didn't have enough support (so sayeth the gyno, gross I know). Now I've been on Lo Loestrin for about two weeks, had my period the first week and a half, and now I just had sex with my boyfriend and I'm bleeding again.
We're both STD free and I just got tested again recently by my doctor just in case the bleeding had to do with that.

Has anyone else had this problem? How can I convince my ladyparts to stop this nonsense? I'm just really tired of having my period all the loving time.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Grushenka posted:

I have a tentative appointment set for an IUD but the lady at the clinic was not happy about that at all. Not one bit. She told me to wait and see if one more month on Cerazette will even things out a bit, and perhaps I'll change my mind and that's okay no worries you can still change your mind! Here is our number if you change your mind!

Someone hugged me last night and it felt like I'd been smacked in the tits with a two-by-four. This has gone on since March when I started Cerazette. Going up a cup size was pretty neat but this really blows. They recommended evening primrose oil, which I've been taking, but that can take months to be effective and it strikes me as being homeopathic woo-woo at times.

Push through it. I'm off hormones via the IUD for the first time in almost 10 years and it is wonderful. It's more than 6 months in for me and my periods are back to normal, i'm losing weight easily with diet, i'm not depressed or having crazy mood swings and my tits don't hurt and I actually like sex now.

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Fanky, those are all good points, but the highest risk factor for perforation is the experience of the provider... If her gyno doesn't often do them for childless women, maybe it'd be better to go to PP or similar.

You're right, I didn't consider that factor. However, if that's the reason her GYN doesn't want to do it, then she should be up front about it and give her the option of getting referred to another GYN who does have the required experience rather than fobbing her off with excuses that we all know are flimsy at best.

spoonfulofwhoopass
Feb 11, 2010

Fanky Malloons posted:

You're right, I didn't consider that factor. However, if that's the reason her GYN doesn't want to do it, then she should be up front about it and give her the option of getting referred to another GYN who does have the required experience rather than fobbing her off with excuses that we all know are flimsy at best.

Agreed wholeheartedly! I don't think it's lack of experience on my doctor's part (she's awesome and I really like her), I think it's just a bad standard excuse. I'm going to get the depo shot when I can afford it (it's fuckin' 47 dollars a pop for me, thanks GHI :argh:) and give it a try but if I hate it and I gain weight it's never gonna happen again.

EDIT: What is it with the crazy women at the clinics that are giving you girls poo poo for your IUDs? What business is it of theirs?

twee_fangs
Mar 25, 2005

Normalcy is coursing through my veins.

EDIT: What is it with the crazy women at the clinics that are giving you girls poo poo for your IUDs? What business is it of theirs?

Yes. Just read through this thread the past few weeks and decided to get the Paragard. I was so excited and relieved when my CRNP was very enthusiastic about it. (I'm 28, on ortho/tri-sprintec for 10 years, no pregnancies). I've only had the pre-insertion exam; they are ordering the IUD now, and she said she'll have to measure my uterus to make sure it's at least 6 cm or she won't try to insert it. Just wondering how common a problem this might be... Has anyone here had a too-small uterus?

Innovative Salad
Jun 18, 2003

That's President Tandi to you.

twee_fangs posted:

I've only had the pre-insertion exam; they are ordering the IUD now, and she said she'll have to measure my uterus to make sure it's at least 6 cm or she won't try to insert it. Just wondering how common a problem this might be... Has anyone here had a too-small uterus?
I think this is really, really uncommon in grown women. I'm not sure I've ever read of anyone who couldn't get it for that reason. Obviously it can happen or they wouldn't bother checking, but I wouldn't worry about it terribly.

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009

Tigntink posted:

Push through it. I'm off hormones via the IUD for the first time in almost 10 years and it is wonderful. It's more than 6 months in for me and my periods are back to normal, i'm losing weight easily with diet, i'm not depressed or having crazy mood swings and my tits don't hurt and I actually like sex now.

I'm going to definitely push for it. I know there are risks involved and that they had to discuss them with me (and I know to go to the doctor if something goes wrong), but the lady made it sound as if as soon as they put one in then my uterus would implode and I would instantly get a pelvic infection and all my bits would fall off or something.

Thankfully my sex drive is fine right now, but all the other stuff kind of sucks.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Just wanted to update on the birth control pill issue I posted last week. I was the one whose doctor prescribed testosterone for sex drive rather than trying me on a new pill. I decided that I was sick of trying different GYN's so I just went to Planned Parenthood. After a 4.5 hour wait in the waiting room (not joking), I got to go back and talk to an NP for roughly 1 minute. She didn't even sit down and talk to me just stepped in and said she was going to try me on Levora. I was concerned because I believe this is the same progesterone as Aviane, which is what I was on for 6 years and had the same side effects as the Lo Loestrin. I told her about the Aviane, but she said she thought that since Levora had a higher dose of estrogen then things would somehow work out. I'm finishing my current pack of Lo Loestrin and then will start the Levora. It will probably be awhile before I know how it's going to affect me, but hopefully I will have good news. Thanks for your help, ladies! So glad you all convinced me not to do the testosterone.

Olphij
May 30, 2006
What's it all about?

twee_fangs posted:

Yes. Just read through this thread the past few weeks and decided to get the Paragard. I was so excited and relieved when my CRNP was very enthusiastic about it. (I'm 28, on ortho/tri-sprintec for 10 years, no pregnancies). I've only had the pre-insertion exam; they are ordering the IUD now, and she said she'll have to measure my uterus to make sure it's at least 6 cm or she won't try to insert it. Just wondering how common a problem this might be... Has anyone here had a too-small uterus?

I got my ParaGuard when I was 22 years old and none of the doctors I visited (several, because all but one refused to insert IUDs into a nulliparous woman) mentioned anything about measuring the uterus. About a year afterwards, I did have to have ultrasounds or sonograms (whatever they're called) conducted to make sure that the IUD was still in place though.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

twee_fangs posted:

I've only had the pre-insertion exam; they are ordering the IUD now, and she said she'll have to measure my uterus to make sure it's at least 6 cm or she won't try to insert it. Just wondering how common a problem this might be... Has anyone here had a too-small uterus?

No... I was 23 when mine was inserted and I made an appointment with my GYN's "IUD Specialist" for when I was on my period, walked in, discussed some things to make sure I wanted paragard and not mirina and then she dilated me with some rods and shoved that fucker in. Did a 6 week check up and now all I ever need to do is have them check it when I get my yearly pelvic exams.

Cracker Jack
May 8, 2007

twee_fangs posted:

They measured by uterus right before they put in my IUD. This was at PP. They have to measure it or else they don't know how long to make the IUD insertion tube lest they perforate your uterus or don't put it in far enough. I'm 5'6" and had no problems, but I know women far shorter who have had one put it too.

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

Cracker Jack posted:

They measured by uterus right before they put in my IUD.

Yeah, my Mirena was packaged with a long tube/stick with measurement lines on it which I assumed was for sounding the uterus to make sure the IUD would fit - so, I assume, the OB measured it during the process of inserting the IUD.

I guess if that's the case though, it must be a pain in the rear end if your uterus turns out to be too short, since the doc will already have opened the IUD and its accoutrements, thus wasting all the money you spent on it?

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"

Fanky Malloons posted:

Yeah, my Mirena was packaged with a long tube/stick with measurement lines on it which I assumed was for sounding the uterus to make sure the IUD would fit - so, I assume, the OB measured it during the process of inserting the IUD.

I guess if that's the case though, it must be a pain in the rear end if your uterus turns out to be too short, since the doc will already have opened the IUD and its accoutrements, thus wasting all the money you spent on it?
Nah, you measure the uterus with a reusable, sterilizable sound that's separate from the IUD package.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

twee_fangs posted:

Has anyone here had a too-small uterus?

5'1" midget chiming in here. Even I didn't have an issue with having Mirena inserted so I wouldn't worry too much. I even distinctly remember the doctor telling me "Wow, your cervix is RIGHT here!" :colbert: I have a small vagina, so what Doc.

I'd suggest taking some aspirin before having it put in though. It's not at all comfortable. I think my being scared made it worse. Haha, I even took a percocet before going in, since I had some left over from getting my wisdom teeth removed.

Also, since I don't think I've gotten any responses...are diaphragms just really out dated? Has no one used one?

JibbaJabberwocky fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 11, 2011

Typerighter
Mar 6, 2011
I haven't used a diaphragm, nor do I have an IUD, but I'm wondering if Instead Soft Cups might do the trick? They're a soft flexible disc shaped thing that is meant to collect menstrual blood and fit over your cervix.
Googling IUDS and softcups makes it sound like a controversial choice, though. There appears to be some concern that wearing mentrual cups (or rather, taking them out) might pull on the IUD. However, some women use them regardless. Check it out and maybe ask your doctor what he/she thinks about it.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

Also, since I don't think I've gotten any responses...are diaphragms just really out dated? Has no one used one?

They're not really effective and they have to be used with spermicide, which irritates many ladies' vaginas. There are just better options out there. You're looking for something to use to protect your guys penis from your IUD strings right? In that case, you might be able to use one without spermicide, but diaphragms need to be fitted by a gyn, so you're better off talking to your doctor about it anyway.

Die Schafe
Jul 4, 2007
Yup.

Typerighter posted:

I haven't used a diaphragm, nor do I have an IUD, but I'm wondering if Instead Soft Cups might do the trick? They're a soft flexible disc shaped thing that is meant to collect menstrual blood and fit over your cervix.
Googling IUDS and softcups makes it sound like a controversial choice, though. There appears to be some concern that wearing mentrual cups (or rather, taking them out) might pull on the IUD. However, some women use them regardless. Check it out and maybe ask your doctor what he/she thinks about it.

Insteads aren't contraceptive, in the first place, and don't pull on IUD strings in the second place because they don't work like other menstrual cups. Also, lots of women use IUDs and cups...I think I've lost the original question somewhere. If it's just to keep the strings from poking a boy, go for it, but don't try to use them as BC by themselves, and don't worry about your IUD if that's the question.

Die Schafe fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 12, 2011

Closet Nerd
Feb 21, 2011
I went off the pill October 2010 because I moved to another state and hadn't found a new gyno and just let the prescription run out. Well my fiance and I are getting married in November and I want to be back on birth control by then. How far in advanced should I get back on the birth control, a month? Fiance is abroad for work so haven't had the need for BC.

I had no problems transitioning to the pill in the first place, I used Kariva which had minimal hormones in it. I transitioned off it pretty well, everything has stayed the same it seems.

This is purely for non-baby making purposes.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Die Schafe posted:

Insteads aren't contraceptive, in the first place, and don't pull on IUD strings in the second place because they don't work like other menstrual cups. Also, lots of women use IUDs and cups...I think I've lost the original question somewhere. If it's just to keep the strings from poking a boy, go for it, but don't try to use them as BC by themselves, and don't worry about your IUD if that's the question.

Yeah, my IUD is firmly in place and keeping me safe on the pregnancy front. I just hate the gently caress out of those strings.

I was hoping to hear from a guy maybe. I'd love to know how the cups feel against a dick.

^Edit: Closet Nerd, my doctor always told me to wait one month. So I'd suggest starting it at least a month before he comes back and you expect to be getting busy.

Die Schafe
Jul 4, 2007
Yup.
Jibba, you might try asking in the menstrual cup thread--I know there are some ladies in that thread who have tried Insteads, and they might be able to give you a better answer about sex with an Instead in.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

I'm a little late to the uterus-size discussion, but I thought I'd chime in. Height isn't always directly related to uterus size. I'm 5'11" and when I had my Mirena inserted my Gyn told me that I have a tiny uterus v:shobon:v. It still fit fine though and she mentioned that she's never had anyone with a uterus too small for an IUD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

click click
Aug 9, 2006

Eggplant Wizard posted:

A 9% perfect use failure rate is too high for me. What's wrong with condoms?
You can't feel poo poo? They can break? They interrupt the act? They fit too tight? They taste nasty? They can slip off?

Sorry to be so picky, but there is WAY too much anecdotal bullshit in circulation about the sponge + pulling out. Since the conception rate with typical use over a year for sponges is 16% (Wikipedia) and conception rate for coitus interruptus is let's say 20% (15-28%) multiplying the two should give us a 3.2% conception rate if these are independent events, right? Additional spermicide could be used to cut this down even more. So, for typical use, we could be looking at 3.2% for sponges + pulling out + extra spermicide versus 10-18% for condoms. This is why I'm willing to call bullshit on anyone that says "condoms are better."

I'm concerned that these aren't independent events, though. This is why I'm searching high and low for an academic source to ease my mind and bolster my argument!

EDIT: Actually, I think I sperged too hard. Any info at all about the sponge + pulling out would be appreciated.

click click fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 12, 2011

• Locked thread