Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

hollylolly posted:

I guess not. Still, nerd girls like hot guys too, don't they? Ah well.

I thought Ronan was a great character, and the whole SGA away team was great (with the exception of Teyla). McKay/Shepherd/Ronan banter for the win. :)

Oh of course they do, but in general the average nerd girls are more awkward than the average nerd guys. Probably has something to do with the non-stop attention of being the only female in every one of their classes. :v:

But more importantly, most people in general would rather someone who can say something more than "yeah" for a long term relationship. I wouldn't have blamed her for hooking up with Ronin for a fling though! :)

Anyway, I liked Ronin, I thought he was a great character. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Effingham posted:

Note: "-us" is a Latin name ending. "-os" is a Greek name ending.

Demetrius is a Latin name. Demitrios is a Greek name.

-ous (combining the two above) is an English adjectival ending denoting a quality (like ambitious, anxious, curious, fictiious, laborious, etc.) It is NOT a name ending.

Lucius is a name. Lucious is a misspelling of luscious -- and while Lucius may be luscious, that isn't guaranteed.

Sorry, but I see that -ious misspelling in names a lot, and it's one of my buttons.

I just thought of something. We know nothing of the evolution of spelling in the Pegasus Galaxy so it's quite possible my spelling is correct. Hell for all we know they're alphabet is upside down.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
For all we know, they use the contraction of "they" and "are" to imply ownership!

Okay sorry I'm done.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

MisterFusion posted:

According to stargate wiki, Sheppard's team is: First Atlantis Reconnaissance Team.... FART?

That's why they didn't let McKay name things later on. :(

MisterFusion
Mar 8, 2010
Welp, I've reached the Teyla singing episode. It was the most awkward pause in an intense moment in an episode I've ever seen. This is just so out of place. I'm watching it as I type this and I'm just in awe that they thought this was a good idea. Did she blackmail someone? Atlantis is 10 minutes from exploding and Teyla is loving singing in at a funeral. what. the. gently caress.

Malaleb
Dec 1, 2008
I'll be honest. I actually liked that episode when I first watched it. Don't get me wrong, I realize that Teyla singing wasn't actually good, but it was weird and bad enough to make the episode really interesting.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

MisterFusion posted:

According to stargate wiki, Sheppard's team is: First Atlantis Reconnaissance Team.... FART?

Ford probably named it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2011/07/devlin-still-talking-stargate-movie-sequels/

Right dude.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Hi, I'm Dean Devlin's rear end. He does all his talking exclusively through me.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I really wish he'd shut up about this... he's been talking about forever.

Also, from the comments of that article:

quote:

If it does well enough. Maybe they will give us a conclusion to Stargate Universe too.

:psyduck:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I'm up to the episode where Ronon comes back to Atlantis.

Whoever said that Teal'c is quiet because he's thoughtful and Ronon is quiet because there's nothing going on up there was dead on :gonk:

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Fun fact: Chris Judge's girlfriend is apparently a stripper. He also really likes The Voice.

T'ealc da man.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

drcru posted:

T'ealc da man.

Indeeeeeeeeeeeed.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

drcru posted:

Fun fact: Chris Judge's girlfriend is apparently a stripper. He also really likes The Voice.

That explains "I have read of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jell-O"

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
48 Hours is on Syfy right now, is this the first McKay episode? His scenes with Carter are golden.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

bango skank posted:

48 Hours is on Syfy right now, is this the first McKay episode? His scenes with Carter are golden.

Yes, and so are most of O'Neill's scenes with Maybourne. You rat bastard! I'm so gonna kick your rear end!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

bango skank posted:

Firing this up on Netflix! I like this episode because it's basically a technobabble hour but it actually shows them trying out different things. On Star Trek Janeway would just suggest they try something and Tuvok will press a few buttons and save the day.

On another note did they acknowledge 9/11 on Stargate?

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yes, and so are most of O'Neill's scenes with Maybourne. You rat bastard! I'm so gonna kick your rear end!
I didn't watch SG1 regularly so most stuff is new to me, and post-NID Maybourne is awesome.

Mu Zeta posted:

Firing this up on Netflix! I like this episode because it's basically a technobabble hour but it actually shows them trying out different things. On Star Trek Janeway would just suggest they try something and Tuvok will press a few buttons and save the day.

The episode basically amounted to Teal'c getting stuck in the pattern buffer. I wonder if the wormhole bounced off some anti-protons and now there's a identical Teal'c stuck back on that planet.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

I'm on Season 10 of SG-1 now. Not as good as the others, but decent enough to keep me entertained. Season 9 was decent as well. I liked 8 and all the previous seasons a lot more. It's all a big blur, so I can't really say which season(s) I like the most. After I finish season 10 I'll move over to Atlantis. I guess I should watch the movies as well, though I'm sure I'm out of proper viewing order already.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Minimaul posted:

I'm on Season 10 of SG-1 now. Not as good as the others, but decent enough to keep me entertained. Season 9 was decent as well. I liked 8 and all the previous seasons a lot more. It's all a big blur, so I can't really say which season(s) I like the most. After I finish season 10 I'll move over to Atlantis. I guess I should watch the movies as well, though I'm sure I'm out of proper viewing order already.

What you're doing is fine. Watch the SG1 movies when you're done with SG1 and then you can move to Atlantis.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

GreenNight posted:

What you're doing is fine. Watch the SG1 movies when you're done with SG1 and then you can move to Atlantis.

Good to know. Think I'm about 1/3rd of the way through season 10. Shouldn't be long now...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Minimaul posted:

Good to know. Think I'm about 1/3rd of the way through season 10. Shouldn't be long now...

Have you already watched the crossover episode yet? Also you can watch Ark of Truth immediately after the season 10 finale and Continuum takes place between during season 5 of Atlantis

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 6, 2011

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Have you already watched the crossover episode yet? Also you can watch Ark of Truth immediately after the season 10 finale and Continuum takes place between during season 5 of Atlantis

Yes, I saw "The Pegasus Project" episode (#3) already. I'm half-way through "Uninvited", so I guess I'm technically 1/4 of the way through the season. From a quick glance at the wiki (didn't want to spoil anything) it looks like AoT finishes up the Ori arc. So that'll be nice. Seriously, gently caress the Ori.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
The Ori arc wasn't nearly as bad as people say it is. As you say, it was still good enough for entertainment. I didn't really like AoT, but Continuum was pretty awesome.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Oh, I don't think the arc is bad. I just really hate those fuckers (and the Priors too).

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Minimaul posted:

Oh, I don't think the arc is bad. I just really hate those fuckers (and the Priors too).

I got your meaning via your previous posts, I was supporting you in saying that it's actually perfectly fine. I actually like it more than much of the Showtime era of SG1.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Oh, my bad, I misinterpreted your post. My reading comprehension sucks. heh.

Yeah, I liked the earlier stuff, but it was pretty much wacky adventures going through the gate each time. Which, is to be expected. Every time they found something cool and useful I was sitting there waiting for 'the catch'. I still enjoyed it all and they tied things together nicely. The last few seasons you can feel them shifting away from pure gate/new world/issues with the arcs. although still doing gate adventures now and then. I was expecting a big down slide in quality of the story and with Mitchell being introduced, but I've found it still enjoyable and peppy as usual. I don't really see Mitchell as that different from O'Neill. It's definitely been entertaining with some minor lulls here and there but I'm still way more impressed with it than I thought I would be. it's been a pleasant ride.

Oh and gently caress the Rand and Caledonians. Those fuckers got what they deserved (from each other).

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
If anyone got what they deserved it was the Tollan.

:smug: Heh, we're so awesome, look at all you ple... oh gently caress, a Goa'uld out smarted us using 4000 year old tactics.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

JetsGuy posted:

If anyone got what they deserved it was the Tollan.

:smug: Heh, we're so awesome, look at all you ple... oh gently caress, a Goa'uld out smarted us using 4000 year old tactics.

You would think that they might change their tactics after they were almost destroyed and only saved due to T'ealc and the Nox. But no, they still had their heads up their asses and got destroyed for it.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Yeah, see what happens when you're pretentious and don't share? haha.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Minimaul posted:

Well, there were those two nice, innocent people who were burned alive. The fact that they were just "meh, not our folk" really creeped me out about that episode.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

If they're not Origin follows then they are evil and deserved to die! There was nothing innocent about them. The Ori, Prior, the followers, it all just makes me hate religion (even more).

Slavik
May 10, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't believe they ever outright mention it but it’s written into the franchise as occurring seeing as they have had both Mitchell and Shepard reliving fighting in Afghanistan through flashbacks and a hallucination respectively.

Bit of trivia concerning 9/11 and Stargate though, on that day was when the main unit was beginning shooting of Menace from Season 5. Chris Judge (Tealc) asked to be kept out of shot during the scene where they discover Reece (the replicator making/controlling girl) as he was very distraught. If you watch it you notice he stays by the door in the room they find her in.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
The last episode of Stargate: Universe is up on Hulu and the SGU thread is closed. Anyone interesting in reading posts from when it was first broadcast on TV can start here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3345808&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=81

There seemed like a big plot hole in the final episode to me. They couldn't go off the path set by the seed ships because there were 300 billion stars in that galaxy and there would be no realistic chance of finding viable planets for resupplying. But the main problem was the power needed to reach the destination. Why couldn't they have just put most of the people in stasis and then made a 2 week jump with a skeleton crew to a viable sun well off the beaten path on the edge of the galaxy? They could have refueled and the power would no longer have been an issue. With power no longer an issue, they could have kept up life support in a small section of the ship and kept a small crew out of stasis on a rotating basis. They had enough food/water for 30 days for the whole crew. That should have been enough to keep 5 people alive for three years.

My alternative ending is they made the journey and woke up to find themselves in a galaxy inhabited by reavers from Firefly. They were raped to death, had their flesh eaten, and their skin was used as clothing, but not in that order.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

NotWearingPants posted:

The last episode of Stargate: Universe is up on Hulu and the SGU thread is closed. Anyone interesting in reading posts from when it was first broadcast on TV can start here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3345808&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=81

There seemed like a big plot hole in the final episode to me. They couldn't go off the path set by the seed ships because there were 300 billion stars in that galaxy and there would be no realistic chance of finding viable planets for resupplying. But the main problem was the power needed to reach the destination. Why couldn't they have just put most of the people in stasis and then made a 2 week jump with a skeleton crew to a viable sun well off the beaten path on the edge of the galaxy? They could have refueled and the power would no longer have been an issue. With power no longer an issue, they could have kept up life support in a small section of the ship and kept a small crew out of stasis on a rotating basis. They had enough food/water for 30 days for the whole crew. That should have been enough to keep 5 people alive for three years.

My alternative ending is they made the journey and woke up to find themselves in a galaxy inhabited by reavers from Firefly. They were raped to death, had their flesh eaten, and their skin was used as clothing, but not in that order.

From what I recall they couldn't be exactly certain which stars in the galaxy had drones guarding them, so there was still a chance they would drop out and find themselves next to a star they could not use for refueling, with not enough energy to go on.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

I finished SG-1 over the weekend and watched both movies. The movies were OK, basically feature length episodes, but decent over all. I really dug the series itself a lot more than I thought, as I said before. I started Atlantis and I'm just about half-way through season 1. It's average so far, but still early in the show so I'll keep on trucking. I'm not expecting anything super spectacular but I'm sure it'll hold my interest if it's anything similar to SG-1.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Minimaul posted:

I finished SG-1 over the weekend and watched both movies. The movies were OK, basically feature length episodes, but decent over all. I really dug the series itself a lot more than I thought, as I said before. I started Atlantis and I'm just about half-way through season 1. It's average so far, but still early in the show so I'll keep on trucking. I'm not expecting anything super spectacular but I'm sure it'll hold my interest if it's anything similar to SG-1.

The Storm pt. 1 & 2 is awesome, if you haven't seen it yet get your popcorn out.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Yeah, that was a good two-parter. The last episode I watched was "Before I sleep", looks like it's episode 15. McKay is starting to grow on me. I'm sure he stays the same, he was an insufferable prick on SG-1 (which I'm sure was the point in the episodes he was in), so looks like he'll find his quirky little niche in Atlantis.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Minimaul posted:

Yeah, that was a good two-parter. The last episode I watched was "Before I sleep", looks like it's episode 15. McKay is starting to grow on me. I'm sure he stays the same, he was an insufferable prick on SG-1 (which I'm sure was the point in the episodes he was in), so looks like he'll find his quirky little niche in Atlantis.

The banter between Sheppard and McKay is some of the best stuff the Stargate franchise has produced, in terms of character chemistry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Yeah there's been some good stuff between them so far and I'm sure it gets better as roles go on. I liked McKay calling out Sheppard in Sanctuary with the whole 1967 Cpt. Kirk thing. I had a good laugh about that and it was well done.