Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

aendarasi posted:

For someone with your health issues that also enjoys kung fu stuff, I'd recommend starting with Tai Chi. It's very likely that one of these schools in your area offers it, and they'll probably recommend it as soon as you mention the arthritis. It's still Chinese martial arts, very low impact and really good physical and mental exercise. It looks easy even though in fact it's hard as hell; you'll need to work to get those smooth transitions between stances and the flowing movements. I tried taking a few classes and was totally humbled by 70-year-old ladies. Going slow is so difficult!

Some videos:
Monk performing a short form
Girl performing in a different style
My school's Taiji promo

That looks perfect! Thank you Goons! My doctor admitted she doesn't know much about martial arts. I looked around and couldn't actually find any places in my area that did not look particularly sketchy. I did watch some more advanced Kung Fu on youtube and WINCED at some of the stuff they were doing.

Tai Chi may be the better answer. 1. I need to work on my patience anyway, 2. A lot of the pains I'm getting, according to my doc, are from me stubbornly pushing myself too hard. 3. if I get very good at it I can cosplay as Katara at Otakon in a few years.

Now I just need to find a decent dojo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Jenner posted:

if I get very good at it I can cosplay as Katara at Otakon in a few years.
That is a great motivation for sure! :waycool:

AlteredAtronach
Jul 13, 2009

niethan posted:

That is a great motivation for sure! :waycool:

For most people it's so they can do more poo poo outside but that's cool too

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Note to fightgoons:

Having martial arts experience makes getting a bouncer job really easy. This doesn't mean it's a good idea to actually do it.

Sure the pay can be pretty nice but drunk people are weeeeeeiiiirrrddddd

edit: Also learn to wrestle. It's p. useful.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
So according to a bunch of people on Facebook, all martial arts competitions other than Wrestling, Judo, and Taekwondo are now essentially banned in Illinois.

https://www.subcultureusa.com/news/il-house-passes-bill-1490

I read through the full bill (included below the synopsis), and it seems like the author is correct. Other than Olympic sports (Freestyle/Greco, Judo, TKD) and schools sponsored competitions (Folkstyle wrestling), any full contact MA competition requires the full gamut of physicals, doctors on hand, sanctions, and so on. Which is the same as banning everything other than those sports and Boxing/MMA. NAGA has already moved all their stuff over to Indiana, and other BJJ tournaments are either canceling or moving out of state.

I understand the Illinois legislature wanting to regulate amateur MMA bar fights. But I can't believe how far reaching they made this bill. I sincerely hope that it does not get signed into law.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

A few things:

1. I have been wondering about the employment thing recently. I need a full-time job to tide me over for 6 or 12 months until my folio is good enough to get me some work with my animation degree. I have been wondering what sort of jobs are easy to get with martial arts experience: I don't really want to work in anything genuinely dangerous, and I'd hate to work nights, so gently caress security. I was thinking maybe bottle shops or somewhere that gets robbed often, but again, mostly nights, which would interfere with my training. Any ideas?

2. Is there a universally loved book, like Jiu-Jitsu University is, but for Judo? I'm starting in a week or two, and I know I would've learned BJJ a lot faster if I'd had a reference that good when I started. Or even a particularly good DVD set or something, I just want a reference to look at between classes.

3. Ryan Hall's DVDs have been completely kicking my rear end this week. They're so good. I'm not messing with "50/50 Guard" or "Deep Half Guard" yet because I'd rather work on my basics than tricksy upper level stuff right now, but "The Triangle" and "Back Attacks" have blown my mind. I don't know quite how good he is in the wider scheme of things, but he is amazingly good at explaining subtleties. My back and triangle games improved dramatically without even drilling anything from either DVD yet, just by looking at it once and picking up some concepts I'd been missing out on.

Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Thoguh posted:

So according to a bunch of people on Facebook, all martial arts competitions other than Wrestling, Judo, and Taekwondo are now essentially banned in Illinois.

https://www.subcultureusa.com/news/il-house-passes-bill-1490

I read through the full bill (included below the synopsis), and it seems like the author is correct. Other than Olympic sports (Freestyle/Greco, Judo, TKD) and schools sponsored competitions (Folkstyle wrestling), any full contact MA competition requires the full gamut of physicals, doctors on hand, sanctions, and so on. Which is the same as banning everything other than those sports and Boxing/MMA. NAGA has already moved all their stuff over to Indiana, and other BJJ tournaments are either canceling or moving out of state.

I understand the Illinois legislature wanting to regulate amateur MMA bar fights. But I can't believe how far reaching they made this bill. I sincerely hope that it does not get signed into law.
Wisconsin tried something similar, though I don't think it was quite as extreme when we were going through regulation processes. Basically the people in charge most likely don't know a loving thing about most of MMA, let alone all the individual subdisciplines so just try and paint with the widest brush they can. It's really on the combat sports community to lobby and annoy the poo poo out of the regulatory committee; after a whole big shitshow about what sports could hold events and what disciplines could and could not go on a card and who could fight who and so on, it's essentially business as usual except that fighters need to get physicals and some of the sketchier promotions folded because they couldn't just get some random idiot that trains in his backyard to come in on two days notice and get squashed by whatever Duke Roufus guy they threw on the card.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Hey guys, I just kettlebelled for the first time this morning (and some thanks for that goes to certain guys in this thread). It was a... a... revelation. What are these muscles I've never felt before?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Ligur posted:

Hey guys, I just kettlebelled for the first time this morning (and some thanks for that goes to certain guys in this thread). It was a... a... revelation. What are these muscles I've never felt before?

They are muscles you have never needed before. That is why you have never felt them. :science:

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Dickhead!

Anyway the idea is that with a sport like gay french kickboxing, 10% of the muscles you use are located in the legs, 5% are in the hands and shoulders, what matters is your core and all the small deep muscles people never really utilize to any extent.

By kettlebelling all day long, I will become the kick machine I've never managed to be before!

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ligur posted:

Dickhead!

Anyway the idea is that with a sport like gay french kickboxing, 10% of the muscles you use are located in the legs, 5% are in the hands and shoulders, what matters is your core and all the small deep muscles people never really utilize to any extent.

By kettlebelling all day long, I will become the kick machine I've never managed to be before!

whatever you do - don't become kettlebell guy. That one guy who hates on all over forms of exercise besides pushups and kettlebells

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Haha I won't, I think all forms of exercise are awesome. If someone exercises and likes it, that's good.

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
I bought kettlebells and a jumprope this week as well. There are so many exercises you can do with kettlebells, it's awesome. I'm living up to my Eastern European heritage.

zalmoxes fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 10, 2011

widunder
May 2, 2002

Fontoyn posted:

whatever you do - don't become kettlebell guy. That one guy who hates on all over forms of exercise besides pushups and kettlebells
Add chin ups to that regiment and you're pretty much covered :cool:

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

A few things:

1. There are no easy to get jobs period. Most places/jobs are not going to care about your martial arts experience. If you don't want to work someplace dangerous why would you ever want to work at a place that gets robbed often?

Post college life deals with having lovely work schedules and locations where you can't do what you want to do, your hobbies.

2. Personally I really like "BEST JUDO" by Isao Inokuma and Nobyuaki Sato. Although not strictly Judo, "Guerilla Jiu-Jitsu" by Dave Camarilo and Erich Krauss isn't bad either.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 10, 2011

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

But the other guy said getting a bouncer job is easy with MA experience! Out of curiosity I searched for bouncer in my area on indeed.com and found nothing. I wonder where one goes to get these jobs? I'm employed but I'm curious because I often feel like my grip on employment is tenuous.

Speaking of grips, I just purchased "Grips" by Neil Adams on hatashita sports online. I hope it helps me. A really light guy was frustrating me something serious with a left handed high collar grip. I simply have no idea what to do against it other than learn seoi nage lefty.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

nemoulette posted:

Add chin ups to that regiment and you're pretty much covered :cool:

kippers?

Hellblazer187 posted:

But the other guy said getting a bouncer job is easy with MA experience! Out of curiosity I searched for bouncer in my area on indeed.com and found nothing. I wonder where one goes to get these jobs? I'm employed but I'm curious because I often feel like my grip on employment is tenuous.

Speaking of grips, I just purchased "Grips" by Neil Adams on hatashita sports online. I hope it helps me. A really light guy was frustrating me something serious with a left handed high collar grip. I simply have no idea what to do against it other than learn seoi nage lefty.

Have you seen the adds for those fat gripz forearm builders? They're pretty goddamn cool and do a lot to work your grip through conventional weight training.

Helped me because I was already too pressed for time to throw dead hangs/farmers walks into my normal routine.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Senor P. posted:

1. There are no easy to get jobs period. Most places/jobs are not going to care about your martial arts experience. If you don't want to work someplace dangerous why would you ever want to work at a place that gets robbed often?

Post college life deals with having lovely work schedules and locations where you can't do what you want to do, your hobbies.

I probably sound like a petulant bitch, huh. You're right.

Senor P. posted:

2. Personally I really like "BEST JUDO" by Isao Inokuma and Nobyuaki Sato. Although not strictly Judo, "Guerilla Jiu-Jitsu" by Dave Camarilo and Erich Krauss isn't bad either.

Ordering both of these. Thanks.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
A little late, but for Judo as a sport I'd recommend 'Best Judo', for Judo as an art I'd recommend 'Kodokan Judo'. Or just spend some time on judoinfo.com for free.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Hellblazer187 posted:

You get bouncer jobs through friends, not ads. A friend has a friend who works the door and needs someone to cover a few shifts, or you are on talking terms with a local barkeep and it comes up he needs someone on the door next Saturday but the regular guy left town or is in in jail/hospital or something.

So at that point you tell them about being a boxer or shootfighter or something and that's when the easy comes.

Most bouncers and doormen (no matter what part of the world you live in) seem to be in a semi-criminal mob fraternity of sorts anyway and those in any area know each other, so the best way to get work on a door is to know one of them...

Ligur fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jul 11, 2011

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Ligur posted:

You get bouncer jobs through friends, not ads. A friend has a friend who works the door and needs someone to cover a few shifts, or you are on talking terms with a local barkeep and it comes up he needs someone on the door next Saturday but the regular guy left town or is in in jail/hospital or something.

So at that point you tell them about being a boxer or shootfighter or something and that's when the easy comes.

Most bouncers and doormen (no matter what part of the world you live in) seem to be in a semi-criminal mob fraternity of sorts anyway and those in any area know each other, so the best way to get work on a door is to know one of them...

This is how it works from my experience. The owner will ask his other bouncers etc who knows a guy who can fill in because Jack can't come in tonight then if you know them you talk to them, and generally it doesn't matter poo poo what MA you know, they will just take the guy everyone is friends with and is biggest. Then, next time someone is sick, and they like you, they call you again and again until someone ragequits/causes too many fights/fucks the owners current GF/etc and you have the spot.

Easy $60-100 bucks a night if you're willing to put up with all the bar drama as well as hating night life, fighting stupid kids who will try to fight everyone, and generally that. You do get bar skanks though, if you're willing to accept STD's

Pres
Dec 20, 2005

ever since I could remember I been poppin' mah collar
I got my first coloured belt in Jiu Jitsu the other week, on my way to black!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Pres posted:

I got my first coloured belt in Jiu Jitsu the other week, on my way to black!

Do they keep the coloured belts separate from the white belts?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Do they keep the coloured belts separate from the white belts?

We must secure the existence of our techniques and a future for White Belts.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

kimbo305 posted:

You sure you're not mixing him up with Huo Yuanjia, as loosely told about in Fist of Legend and Fearless?

One guy who went around China and did the leitai challenge thing was a wrestling master. I'm inclined to believe this story only because of the skillset advantage he had over strikers and the mundane way he is said to have won (thrown people or clinched them).
Actually, I think I am confusing the two. I thought Fearless was a version of the Yip man story.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I speak Chinese, if you can find any of those articles and post them I'd actually be really interested to see them. Partly because it sounds really unusual for a newspaper to cover two guys sparring somewhere.

After reading about Huo Yuanjia, I went back and checked and the newspaper articles were actually about him and his Chinese martial arts association stuff.

So in summary: Yip Man was an opium addicted charlatan and Wing Chun is just above ninjitsu in the "total bullshit" rankings.

Huo Yuanjia, however, seems like a pretty legitimate fighter and it's too bad Bruce lee wasn't a chinese wrestler.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

Huo Yuanjia, however, seems like a pretty legitimate fighter

I don't think there's really any evidence that he fought a bunch of dudes, either. Hell, his Wikipedia page cites a review of the Jet Li movie as one of its sources, and also basically says that the two fights he was famous for (against a Russian wrestler and British boxer) didn't actually take place.

I guess he did help found a pretty big CMA organization that basically just does Wushu now. Though, Wushu has almost nothing to do with fighting.

A lot of Chinese martial arts guys have huge inflated reputations with absolutely no evidence (see: Wong Fei-hong), I think because Chinese people, in my experience, are really credulous when it comes to martial arts -- partly because it's such a big part of their cultural mythology, and also because they put a lot of stock in word of mouth and do not tend to question authoritative-sounding claims. Seriously, I can't tell you how many times I was told "I heard there was a guy in [province] who [impossible ridiculous thing]" when I lived in China, and when challenged it would always be defended -- "no, it's true, my friend said it was in the newspaper!".

Anecdote: I took a Chinese friend of mine to an Art of War (the biggest Chinese MMA org) show in Beijing, and the following week she bought us tickets to a Shaolin stage show because she wanted to show me "the real martial arts." :smith:

Xguard86 posted:

Wing Chun is just above ninjitsu in the "total bullshit" rankings.
I wouldn't say that, a lot of Wing Chun schools actually do full-contact sparring, which puts it waaaay ahead of a lot of other TMA's.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 11, 2011

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
Does the phrase for "martial arts" in china have the same parts meaning "Art of fighting?" If so what she said could be accurate in the capital A art sense.

Also I would watch both of those shows happily.

Office Sheep fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 11, 2011

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Office Sheep posted:

Does the phrase for "martial arts" in china have the same parts meaning "Art of fighting?" If so what she said could be accurate in the capital A art sense.

Well, the Chinese phrase for martial arts is gongfu, as in...Kung Fu. I'm sure you've heard it. But no, her intention was to show me guys who really know how to fight. As opposed to, you know, professional MMA fighters. "Zhen zhan" (real warfare) as opposed to "didao zhongguo gongfu" (authentic Chinese martial arts). Because dudes flipping around on a stage with staves is real fighting. I mean, it was cool and all, but she also argued passionately that the only reason the Shaolin monks weren't competing in MMA was because they would kill the other fighter or were only allowed only fight in self-defense.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Ligur posted:

This is p. much how it usually works.

Also there are companies that usually organize security for festivals and the better class of night clubs, might be worth checking up if there's any of those around. I got in this way and the pay is pretty good too.

By the way did you know it's pretty hard to put pants on a man who doesn't want to wear pants. At least i think there's no move for that in BJJ.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Illegal Username posted:

By the way did you know it's pretty hard to put pants on a man who doesn't want to wear pants. At least i think there's no move for that in BJJ.

BJ, J

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Illegal Username posted:

Bjj is more concerned with getting the pants off of men.

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?
Did really well in open mat today, getting a choke and a bunch of points on a two stripe white and working on my defense with a purple, but it was probably a bad idea.. The outside of my left shoulder has been hurting, especially when I try to rotate the arm 360 or raise it above my head. Didn't feel anything once I started rolling because of the adrenaline, but its even worse now. Gonna try some ice/heat and rest and hope it gets better.. It's gonna be hard to keep myself from rolling again tomorrow, and even harder to go to a doctor if necessary.. no insurance :(

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

All this CMA talk has motivated me to make a post about my favorite Chinese martial art, and one of the oldest martial arts in existence: shuaijiao!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXsoFaavr0I

What is shuaijiao, you ask? Well, literally translated from mandarin it just means "wrestling", but it also refers to a specific sport and martial art that's thousands of years old. It originates in the folk wrestling traditions of northern China, especially Mongolia, and shares elements of technique, scoring, and uniform with Mongolian folk wrestling. The shuaijiao vest actually allows for similar similar grip work, near the upper arm, as the sleeves worn in Mongolian wrestling. If you ever wondered where the epaulets on sambo kurtka are from, it's this!

The rules of shuaijiao are very simple, since there is no groundwork or pinning: score points by forcing your opponent to touch the ground with any part of their body other than their feet, while remaining standing. Scoring differs by region and competition, but generally speaking you get more points for making your opponent touch the ground with multiple points (both knees, for example) or their torso, and additional points are won with throws that rotate the opponent -- so, a big hip throw would be worth more than a foot sweep.

Because you must remain on your feet for a throw to count, there are no sacrifice throws or shots, while there's an emphasis on foot sweeps and hip throws. Reaping throws are used, but not as much as in judo, due to the decreased balance of throwing off of one foot. The grip work is also unique, as competitors wear a short-sleeved vest, which makes wrist control more difficult but allows multiple grips on the upper torso.

Technique-wise, you probably won't find anything you wouldn't also see in sambo, judo, or western wrestling styles. But, it's a really fun set of rules to compete in, and I thought I'd bring it to the attention of the thread since it's virtually unknown outside of China and Taiwan. I had the pleasure of training a bit at a shuaijiao gym in Beijing about two years ago, and had a blast.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 11, 2011

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008

Ligur posted:

I would say it depends more on the specific place and type of establishment. More high end establishments specifically stray away from those types of people for bouncers.

If you are really interested in getting a bouncing gig, just ask or call and see if they are looking for anyone even as a temporary worker. Martial arts will go a long way as will wrestling, basically anything that involves controlling someone without injuring them. If you can try the higher end places first, adult clubs especially. Bars and dance clubs will have a lot more action though.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The rules of shuaijiao are very simple, since there is no groundwork or pinning: score points by forcing your opponent to touch the ground with any part of their body other than their feet, while remaining standing. Scoring differs by region and competition, but generally speaking you get more points for making your opponent touch the ground with multiple points (both knees, for example) or their torso, and additional points are won with throws that rotate the opponent -- so, a big hip throw would be worth more than a foot sweep.

This sounds pretty entertaining. Does anyone ever do a sacrifice throw with the intent of scoring more points on their opponent than themselves? Like you give up 2 points to score 4?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

This sounds pretty entertaining. Does anyone ever do a sacrifice throw with the intent of scoring more points on their opponent than themselves? Like you give up 2 points to score 4?

It doesn't work that way -- if you touch the ground with anything other than your feet during the throw, or don't finish the throw on your feet, it just doesn't score for either person. What you do see, sometimes, is someone briefly take a knee a get a leg position, like as an entrance so that they can stand back up and transition to a leg sweep or reaping throw. This is risky, though, since all the other person has to do is kind of shove you and it'll count as them "forcing" you to take a knee, and score them a point. Generally speaking good shuaijiao wrestlers will stay on their feet.

Just for reference, the scoring I use when I spar for fun with shuaijiao rules is:
1 point for a 1-point touchdown (hand or knee) while staying on your feet
2 points for a 2-point touchdown or if their back, butt, chest, head etc touch the mat
An extra point on a throw for a 180 degree rotation

As far as I know this is pretty standard.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 11, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Well, the Chinese phrase for martial arts is gongfu, as in...Kung Fu. I'm sure you've heard it.

There's also the terms wushu, which means martial skills or even martial arts.
As well as wudao, the principles or philosophy of fighting. Which is the same as Budo in Japanese. But the definitional distinction doesn't mean that plenty of Chinese people are just as gullible about super deadly skills as the general public elsewhere.

Xguard86 posted:

Sanshou grappling is done under the same rules. Two tactics I'll mention --
- if you're fighting with ringout rules (so if you're on a leitai or on a wrestling mat with a circle boundary), you might try a desperation throw to get your opponent out. Even if you're more likely to stumble and get points docked for self-throwing, if the opponent goes out, you either score huge or automatically win, depending on the ruleset. I believe if you fall before the opponent goes out, the ringout doesn't count.
- if both wrestlers fall (non-foot contact) at the same time, as ruled by the ref, then no points are won or lost. So if your opponent is about to do a really good throw to you, you can try to fight it and foul up the throw so that he lands with you and it gets turned into a draw.

I'm pretty sure the wrestling master I mentioned above was from Shandong and founded a respected lineage of shuaijiao in his time.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

There's also the terms wushu, which means martial skills or even martial arts.
As well as wudao, the principles or philosophy of fighting. Which is the same as Budo in Japanese. But the definitional distinction doesn't mean that plenty of Chinese people are just as gullible about super deadly skills as the general public elsewhere.

Literally it does mean that, but if you were to say "I practice wushu" (wo lianxi wushu) it would not really mean "martial arts" in general, people would think you do the silk pajama dancing kind of wushu. "Gongfu" is kind of China-specific, the best term for martial arts/combat sports in general would probably be "quan ji", which is basically "boxing" but refers to any non-traditional striking martial art. Likewise, "shuaijiao" works for any kind of grappling. Whenever people asked what sambo was I would just say "ruguo shuaijiao" (Russian wrestling) and that got the point across.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Oh, I forgot to mention that you can score by throwing the person out of bounds or by throwing them and landing directly on top of their torso, but these are both only 1 point. They're both so rare I forgot about them, since it's a big risk to do a huge sacrifice throw that when successful only gets you one point, and if you just wind up on your back you give up 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Literally it does mean that, but if you were to say "I practice wushu" (wo lianxi wushu) it would not really mean "martial arts" in general, people would think you do the silk pajama dancing kind of wushu.

Right, to more clearly answer Office Sheep's question, there is certainly a concrete notion that Wushu is a performance art. However, I think it was also clear in that lady's mind that the wushu performance was actually deadly, as opposed to just acrobatics. It was not the case that the lady was trying to show Mechafunkzilla a better example of a Chinese Art.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Oh, I forgot to mention that you can score by throwing the person out of bounds or by throwing them and landing directly on top of their torso, but these are both only 1 point. They're both so rare I forgot about them, since it's a big risk to do a huge sacrifice throw that when successful only gets you one point, and if you just wind up on your back you give up 2.

Hunh, the ringout is a big scorer in sanshou, following leitai tradition. Does it only score 1 in shuaijiao? Oh also, the literal meaning of shuaijiao is to take a fall, which is fairly accurate in describing the action in the sport.

• Locked thread