Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PopetasticPerson
Jun 18, 2006

marxismftw posted:

I played through vanilla at launch and enjoyed myself immensely, I'm thinking it's time for another trip into the wasteland, this time, modded, and I'm wondering what the likelyhood that I'll be able to get PN and A World of Pain working together? Anyone had any problems with it?

In my experience they work fine compatibility wise, except that the changes PN makes to damage and DT make it almost impossibly difficult to do any of the dungeons after the first 2 quests. I may be too low level, but I'm at 27 with full power armor and get 1-2 shot by the lakelurks in the first Underground place you are told to go. I could very well be doing something wrong though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

fennesz posted:

Is there a New Vegas equivalent of this? It always bothers me to see so many buildings strewn throughout the wastes that are boarded up.

Yes, there is. Sort of. Eventually. I'd been following the FO3 DCInterior author's thread on Bethesda Forums back when he was planning a release in December. Then Dead Money came out and some jackass convinced him to finish everything before he released his mod. The release date has been "soon" for the last seven months or so.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

PopetasticPerson posted:

In my experience they work fine compatibility wise, except that the changes PN makes to damage and DT make it almost impossibly difficult to do any of the dungeons after the first 2 quests. I may be too low level, but I'm at 27 with full power armor and get 1-2 shot by the lakelurks in the first Underground place you are told to go. I could very well be doing something wrong though.

Could always turn level-based HPs back on. PN defaults the multiplier to 0 (vanilla is 5...I think), so you'll have the same hitpoints at level 45 as you had at level 1. Might help with getting near instagibbed, despite wearing as much armour plating as a tank.

Turn the DT bleedthrough to 1% as well. I think that's actually pretty fair when using power armour; makes it feel much more realistic when confronted with small arms fire.

Squiggly Beast fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 9, 2011

PopetasticPerson
Jun 18, 2006
I'm still thinking about what to do with that. I definitely have to make some changes to the way DT works, because it's kind of weird that I'm getting torn apart by random fiend patrols shooting at me with laser pistols and 9mm guns in power armor. I don't want to unbalance the game either, though. If I lower the DT bleed through, I'll still have a harder time from enemies with real guns right?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

PopetasticPerson posted:

I'm still thinking about what to do with that. I definitely have to make some changes to the way DT works, because it's kind of weird that I'm getting torn apart by random fiend patrols shooting at me with laser pistols and 9mm guns in power armor. I don't want to unbalance the game either, though. If I lower the DT bleed through, I'll still have a harder time from enemies with real guns right?

Keep in mind that by default, PN is set so that weapon skill influences damage only 20% (vanilla is 50%). This means that guns are more dangerous in anybody's hands--even a low level Fiend with 35 or 40 in Energy Weapons. I've rolled this back to 50%, because otherwise there is very little incentive to continue putting points into weapon skills.

If by "real guns" you mean stuff like AMRs, Trail Carbines, and Hunting Revolvers, then yes, Bleedthrough isn't going to have a huge effect. This is because there isn't a single piece of armor that provides enough DT to defeat those weapons. For example, PN Power Armor has a DT of ~25, but even in unskilled hands, high-tier weapons are doing 55-90 DMG. In this situation, Bleedthrough--be it 1% or 25%--isn't going to save you.

On the other hand, if you set Bleedthrough to 1% and walk around in 25 DT Power Armor, you're pretty much invulnerable to some scrub wielding a .22 or a kitchen knife. That's because 25 DT > 6 DMG, and only 1% of that 6 DMG is going to harm you regardless of the armor you're wearing.

There's a part of me that really wished they brought back DR and made armor a complicated beast again.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

There's a part of me that really wished they brought back DR and made armor a complicated beast again.

The Armoury has a module called Alternate Armor System, it brings back DR and rebalances things in a way I don't completely understand.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

AAS only works properly with PNV if you set bleedthrough to 1% (PNV doesn't allow setting to 0, which is the setting AAS works under.)

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

fennesz posted:

Is there a New Vegas equivalent of this? It always bothers me to see so many buildings strewn throughout the wastes that are boarded up.

New Vegas Interiors

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Anyone who's played the World of Pain mod, do you have any idea how to get the last audiodisc for Roach's Quest? I killed all the Tech Raiders and now there's a Mini-Vault Shelter that the map tells me I have to get into, but it requires a key and I have no idea where it is.

Ugh nevermind, I had the wrong mini-vault.

Mons Hubris fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 9, 2011

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Does anyone know what the command "GetVATSValue 6,15 ->0,00" means? I usually save via the console, and sometimes this shows up. I don't know what it means.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."
Is the Stutter Remover any good? I've been experiencing some increased stutter after the last patch, and I'm trying to fix it. Would Stutter Remover help?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What was the mod that stops New Vegas from displaying the "program has stopped working" error every time you exit the game?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Keep in mind that by default, PN is set so that weapon skill influences damage only 20% (vanilla is 50%). This means that guns are more dangerous in anybody's hands--even a low level Fiend with 35 or 40 in Energy Weapons. I've rolled this back to 50%, because otherwise there is very little incentive to continue putting points into weapon skills.

How do you roll back parts of PN like that?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

vandalism posted:

Does anyone know what the command "GetVATSValue 6,15 ->0,00" means? I usually save via the console, and sometimes this shows up. I don't know what it means.
It's a debug command and apparently the cause of the VATS delay since it showed up after the very first patch of Fallout 3.

It's nothing to worry about, it's not a cause of any outstanding crashes or performance issues.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Alright, so last year I wanted a playable Ghoul mod. I checked Nexus, and it had one, but it had a horrible bug (bright pink hands, because they just checked the "playable?" checkbox and didn't actually mess around with anything).

I decided to try making a new one, and I really liked the results. I basically copied the human male body and replaced it's textures with the ghoul ones - the good thing is that it looks really awesome, allows all the hair and beards, and the hands actually match in color.

Unfortunately, there wasn't a sharp texture for ghoul hands in first person mode, so when you pull out a gun it looks like this:

Which I'm kinda alright with, but I'd really like to get my hands on some decent textures for the ghoul hand to fix it. I managed to find a high-def ghoul skin pack, but it went with some weird blood-everywhere red red red custom texture and it doesn't match the original at all.

Does anyone know where I could find a better looking update for the original ghoul hands / contact someone who has one?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Ignore this post; I answered my own question.

T-man fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 9, 2011

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I finally got 4 gigs of RAM, and got the 4g exe for the game. It runs great, but is there any way to fix the lip-syncing issue? It's not that big of a deal, but still pretty annoying.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Is there any UI mod that is compatible with Project Nevada? I can't stand that huge interface, but the other stuff is neat. I especially like the damage effects if you're wearing damaged headgear.

Also, I'm wondering if there's some sort of leveling system mod where your skills go up based on how much you use the specific skill?

edit: Is Unified HUD project what I need to get DarnUI working? Looks like it does, installed DarnUI and let it overwrite the files, then installed the unified HUD package and let it overwrite. Now that that's out of the way, what is a good replacement for the realistic repair mod?

Danith fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 10, 2011

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

If I have 4gb of RAM and won't use any mods, is the 4gb fix still a must?

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

VisAbsoluta posted:

It's adds stability, so yes.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Cubemario posted:

It's adds stability, so yes.

:what:

It pretty much does the opposite.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Ace Oliveira posted:

Is the Stutter Remover any good? I've been experiencing some increased stutter after the last patch, and I'm trying to fix it. Would Stutter Remover help?

I've used the Stutter Remover on and off since it was released, and can say that it works--if you configure it properly. When you first install the .dll and start up the game, the program will generate a configurable .ini file that caps your FPS at a max of 30. For many people, this can create an even more annoying stutter. Go into this file and tweak the min and max FPS to something a little more desirable--I generally found a minimum of 15 and a maximum of 40 or 45 to produce some pretty good results.

pokie posted:

How do you roll back parts of PN like that?

The latest version of PN needs MCM to work properly, so make sure you've got that installed. If you have both mods installed correctly, start up your game and select "Mod Configuration Menu" from the main menu. You can go through PN's various settings and change the bleedthrough to your liking.

Danith posted:

Is there any UI mod that is compatible with Project Nevada? I can't stand that huge interface, but the other stuff is neat. I especially like the damage effects if you're wearing damaged headgear.

Also, I'm wondering if there's some sort of leveling system mod where your skills go up based on how much you use the specific skill?

edit: Is Unified HUD project what I need to get DarnUI working? Looks like it does, installed DarnUI and let it overwrite the files, then installed the unified HUD package and let it overwrite. Now that that's out of the way, what is a good replacement for the realistic repair mod?

1. Unified HUD isn't necessary to get PN working with DarnUI--I personally use the two together without Unified HUD. If you've figured out how to get them working together, good--some people seem to have problems unique to their personal setups.

2. As far as TES-style "use to improve" skill systems are concerned, I am currently unaware of any mods for New Vegas. If I remember correctly, there was something similar released for Fallout 3, so it isn't completely out of the question for something similar to eventually be brought over.

3. If you want to try out a realistic repair mod and you're already using Project Nevada, give the built-in Alternative Repair system a try. It's off by default.

Mr E posted:

I finally got 4 gigs of RAM, and got the 4g exe for the game. It runs great, but is there any way to fix the lip-syncing issue? It's not that big of a deal, but still pretty annoying.

I don't think so. Does it come and go on your system? I've noticed that the lip-syncing isn't always broken...for example, I never had an issue with it when I was playing Dead Money. :iiam:

VisAbsoluta posted:

Nope. Like Jan said, it's not going to help you at all. The only reason you'd need to use a LAA mod is if you were playing the game with custom textures that were a higher resolution than the default ones (2048 x 2048, 4096 x 4096, etc.) OR a whole huge mess of mods that ran custom scripts and added extra poo poo to the worldspace.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The latest version of PN needs MCM to work properly, so make sure you've got that installed. If you have both mods installed correctly, start up your game and select "Mod Configuration Menu" from the main menu. You can go through PN's various settings and change the bleedthrough to your liking.

The latest version of PN (2.1) includes MCM functionality in the base install. You need to install MCM seperately if you want to use it for other mods, but the PN configuration is now built in.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

The latest version of PN (2.1) includes MCM functionality in the base install. You need to install MCM seperately if you want to use it for other mods, but the PN configuration is now built in.

Oh okay, I was under the impression that it was required (but I had already installed MCM for something else, so didn't realize it wasn't absolutely necessary.) Thanks for the heads up.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I don't think so. Does it come and go on your system? I've noticed that the lip-syncing isn't always broken...for example, I never had an issue with it when I was playing Dead Money. :iiam:

Ya, I'm currently doing Honest Hearts and it's not broken at all, it's very strange.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A warning about New Vegas Restored - it soft-breaks some main quest events. When I entered the Strip Victor didn't come up to me to tell me to talk to Mr. House, and when I left the Tops Vulpes Inculcata got stuck in a wall (I managed to find and talk to him though).

It does look pretty though.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

Ace Oliveira posted:

Stutter Remover might help, the problem now is that it needs to be updated to work with the patch or else it doesn't do diddly dick.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What's the bext power armor mod these days? Powered Power Armour looks cool, but apparently it's no longer updated and has all kinds of weird bugs with the latest exes.

Chuck Finley
Oct 27, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

A warning about New Vegas Restored - it soft-breaks some main quest events. When I entered the Strip Victor didn't come up to me to tell me to talk to Mr. House, and when I left the Tops Vulpes Inculcata got stuck in a wall (I managed to find and talk to him though).

It does look pretty though.

Dammit, I wanted to try this but don't really want to go noclipping around for main NPC's to finish a quest if it fucks up the entire strip (Also I'm pretty sure the guy who made this is planning on making a Freeside Restored mod).

The only real reason I fret is because I wanted to try this FilePlanet pack, which looks to be a bunch of well done mods in a single pack. Although I was interested if it's a single install of that pack, or you have to install individually. If you end up installing them individually I don't see the pack as worth it, but now I really don't see it worth it if there is a NPC breaking mod stored inside this little sucker.

On a completely different note, is Nevada Skies still the top Weather mod, or is there an alternative one to throw in with Project Nevada that someone can recommend, also does it still work? I see it hasn't been updated since around October (NV just released a new patch, heard some stuff broke).

Chuck Finley fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jul 10, 2011

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
Nevada Skies is still pretty much the king of the hill when it comes to weather mods. It definitely has the nicest looking weather effects (and the performance hit that comes with that) and it's heavily configurable, which is always a plus. It's also the most up to date - the main data file doesn't get updated at all, instead the author just puts updates under the optional file section. The most recent ones are only a few weeks old.

Western Skies is an alright alternative. There's no in-game configuration tool and clouds aren't animated, but sunsets/sunrises are gorgeous. I think the color palette in general is much nicer, but missing all the bells and whistles of NS really hurts it.

F3NV Weather is the newest weather mod, about a month old. New to NV anyway, it's apparently just a straight port of an FO3 weather mod. Haven't tried it out personally, but just from looking at the author's screenshots it doesn't seem to look right for this game. While its bleak and washed out color palette feels like a perfect fit for the capitol wasteland IMO, it doesn't work so well for the Mojave.

Chuck Finley
Oct 27, 2010

Horns posted:

Nevada Skies is still pretty much the king of the hill when it comes to weather mods. It definitely has the nicest looking weather effects (and the performance hit that comes with that) and it's heavily configurable, which is always a plus. It's also the most up to date - the main data file doesn't get updated at all, instead the author just puts updates under the optional file section. The most recent ones are only a few weeks old.

Didn't see the optional files, thanks for pointing that out.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

kudos goes to dazzFAGGOTerFAGGOTfong who takes 40000 polygons to render a loving weapon model

and spends 246 on a trigger. what a guy

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've used the Stutter Remover on and off since it was released, and can say that it works--if you configure it properly. When you first install the .dll and start up the game, the program will generate a configurable .ini file that caps your FPS at a max of 30. For many people, this can create an even more annoying stutter. Go into this file and tweak the min and max FPS to something a little more desirable--I generally found a minimum of 15 and a maximum of 40 or 45 to produce some pretty good results.

Thanks. It hasn't been updated for the last patch though, right?

Also, I think I'm gonna try to make some weapons. Are there any good programs besides NifSkope for making textures and poo poo like that? Are there any good tutorials, too?

Arthur D Wolfe
Sep 26, 2007

"Holy shit you are a
loathsome jerk, Arthur.
"

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

kudos goes to dazzFAGGOTerFAGGOTfong who takes 40000 polygons to render a loving weapon model

and spends 246 on a trigger. what a guy
holy poo poo what

I really must express my admiration and appreciation for you taking it on yourself to work your way through stuff like that.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Ace Oliveira posted:

Thanks. It hasn't been updated for the last patch though, right?

Also, I think I'm gonna try to make some weapons. Are there any good programs besides NifSkope for making textures and poo poo like that? Are there any good tutorials, too?

If you mean from scratch, you need a 3D app like Blender which happens to be free. Several of us in the thread have licenses to use commercial ones like Lightwave, 3D Max, Maya, etc but that's due to our professions or in my case ex-profession from over a decade ago...

And for textures, photoshop or gimp if you're desperate. If you need tips me and safetyhammer can give a hand on our IRC channel. We're both modellers and he can actually draw up a texture unlike me.

Arthur D Wolfe posted:

holy poo poo what

I really must express my admiration and appreciation for you taking it on yourself to work your way through stuff like that.

We hesitate to discuss it publicly because we're scared of the ramifications of it, but it goes well beyond disgustingly high polycounts. There are... things... being done to the files that could be extremely bad for the modding community and we've already seen that the engine does not handle it well. We've kind of figured out a way to reverse it, but as I said, we hesitate to discuss it.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I'll be pleased to say that no egregious memory leaks are a direct result of the weapons in the Armory to say the very least

That's the kind of quality you'd expect from a modeller who takes 40k polygons from his autocad export to make a weapon model

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Naky posted:

There are... things... being done to the files that could be extremely bad for the modding community

I assume you're talking about legal stuff but my first thought was terrible gay furry hentai being included in the archive for no other reason than Nexus.

That...that isn't it, is it? :ohdear:

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Captain Walker posted:

I assume you're talking about legal stuff but my first thought was terrible gay furry hentai being included in the archive for no other reason than Nexus.

That...that isn't it, is it? :ohdear:

Let's just say these people view it as a sort of DRM, but what they're really doing is loving poo poo up bigger than they realize.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Naky posted:

Let's just say these people view it as a sort of DRM, but what they're really doing is loving poo poo up bigger than they realize.

Well...

GECK EULA posted:

If You distribute or otherwise make available New Materials, You automatically grant to Bethesda Softworks the irrevocable, perpetual, royalty free, sublicensable right and license under all applicable copyrights and intellectual property rights laws to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, perform, display, distribute and otherwise exploit and/or dispose of the New Materials (or any part of the New Materials) in any way Bethesda Softworks, or its respective designee(s), sees fit. You also waive and agree never to assert against Bethesda Softworks or its affiliates, distributors or licensors any moral rights or similar rights, however designated, that You may have in or to any of the New Materials.

I'm no expert on copyright law but that says to me that mods made with the GECK are technically Bethesda's IP, so the guy who made Two Bears High Fiving couldn't sue because of its reference in Honest Hearts, for instance. To use models created in any program in New Vegas, I assume you have to use the GECK to define an item that uses the new models, so adding DRM is pretty flagrantly in violation. This isn't buried in the middle, btw. This is in the first clause of the document, and if you read nothing else from a EULA, you should ALWAYS read the first clause or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Hey, I'm not disagreeing with you and that's why we've been keeping some big tabs on this development on the down low and figuring out what they've been doing. The first thing they did was discovered pretty easily but this new thing they've done since then is a lot tougher. We've figured out how to reverse it (they think it's irreversible) but if it gets much more complex with their fuckery due to their finding out that we can reverse the damage it could get even worse. At that point, we'd probably have to try to get some other people with more technical knowledge of the formats on board.