Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Captain Walker posted:

I'm no expert on copyright law but that says to me that mods made with the GECK are technically Bethesda's IP, so the guy who made Two Bears High Fiving couldn't sue because of its reference in Honest Hearts, for instance. To use models created in any program in New Vegas, I assume you have to use the GECK to define an item that uses the new models, so adding DRM is pretty flagrantly in violation. This isn't buried in the middle, btw. This is in the first clause of the document, and if you read nothing else from a EULA, you should ALWAYS read the first clause or two.
You're talking about a community that bans people for using paid stock models where the licensee owns the result of whatever they do with it. They do not comprehend copyright law at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

You're talking about a community that bans people for using paid stock models where the licensee owns the result of whatever they do with it. They do not comprehend copyright law at all.

Sorry, I'm posting from an alternate reality where people adhere to common sense and shun those who don't. It's a much better internet except for Something Awful, which is exactly the same.

Speaking of which, can you guys access the Nexus in your dimension? Here I'm getting a message that the servers have been wiped and Fallout Underground will be the place to get Fallout mods in the future.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Naky posted:

Let's just say these people view it as a sort of DRM, but what they're really doing is loving poo poo up bigger than they realize.
Reminds me of the anti-decompiling "features" people would put in goldsrc/source maps to prevent anyone from "stealing" their geometry. I don't actually know if that trend died out or not, I don't decompile maps all that often.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
The Underground is where all this poo poo is originating from, sadly, so I sure as poo poo hope not.

The only thing that's good about this thing is that this second form of DRM thing they're using hasn't spread beyond the original guy who started all this poo poo at this point. He's being secretive of what he's doing so people don't figure it out, probably. Too late, but like I said he already feels it's irreversible and yet also claims he has two more tricks he can use up his sleeve. The damage being done from this last one though ranges from minor to severe so I'm terrified to see him move on to those other ones if forced to.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Naky posted:

The Underground is where all this poo poo is originating from, sadly, so I sure as poo poo hope not.

I was hoping to deflect the magnitude of the issue with humor. Now it seems there is truly no safe place on the internet :smith:

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Naky posted:

If you mean from scratch, you need a 3D app like Blender which happens to be free. Several of us in the thread have licenses to use commercial ones like Lightwave, 3D Max, Maya, etc but that's due to our professions or in my case ex-profession from over a decade ago...

It's worth noting that Autodesk (Maya, 3DS Max, Mudbox ect) offers generous student licenses that allow you free access to most of their software for 12 months at a time. If you're in school check students.autodesk.com and odds are you can get a key.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
EDIT: Nevermind. A page and a half appeared out of nowhere between my opening the tab and hitting reply. Shows what I get for not refreshing before replying! :downs:

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 10, 2011

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

I don't know what you guys are whining, I for one greatly miss slof's contributions to fallout modding, how will I play a post-apocolypic man whore now :(

:q:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Well I'm off to a "great" start. Talk to Sunny Smiles and she doesn't even move, causing the very first quest to not even work. What in the world could cause this to happen?

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Rirse posted:

Well I'm off to a "great" start. Talk to Sunny Smiles and she doesn't even move, causing the very first quest to not even work. What in the world could cause this to happen?

I had a similar problem with NPCs in Honest Hearts (mainly Joshua Graham). It was either a corrupt install or a bad mod install screwing with the scripting. I never did find out, because I went nuclear and did a full re-install.

If you're using FOOK or PNV, you may want to disable those and try again.

acidreflux
Oct 11, 2010
Hey,

so I've played through FNV the month it came out with just MTUI. I'd like to go all out now and combed through NVNexus a few times now, but I get pretty OCD about orchestrating the "one" perfect playthrough.

So I got a question, mainly, but I'll put a link to my load order at the end, maybe someone wants to chime in about anything obvious I missed, and if not, that's alright as well - not the reason for this post.

The question would be whether I could start the game with New Vegas Bounties I, and once I've finished its content, should I take that one out of my load order and just plug New Vegas Bounties II in? I'm not the type to start a new game immediately after this one and would probably forget about it. :D

And here's the load order, if any kind soul wants to have a look at it and recommend some mad awesome mods (Got the UI+Texture+enbseries bits covered). Generally, my preferences are lore-friendly (big on FO1+FO2 as well), detailed (I download re-skins for single unusable items I might never find in the game) and challenging (But not to the point where I'd have to min/max my combat stuff).

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Project Nevada doesn't have anything that would mess with Sunny Smiles or any of her scripts.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Ace Oliveira posted:

Thanks. It hasn't been updated for the last patch though, right?

That's correct--we're still waiting on some sort of update to make it compatible with the latest patch.

Rirse posted:

When she stops moving after talking to her, open up the console, click on her model (her name should pop up at the top of the screen) and type "disable" and then "enable." That seems to jump start characters when they fail to do something.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Real question this time: In New Vegas Bounties II, the Mongol Kid is supposed to show up and ambush you when you enter the little trap he has set up, but there's nothing there in my game now. Anybody know how to spawn his finger into inventory so I can finish this dumb quest?

slev
Apr 6, 2009

e: wrong thread

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

Naky posted:

If you mean from scratch, you need a 3D app like Blender which happens to be free. Several of us in the thread have licenses to use commercial ones like Lightwave, 3D Max, Maya, etc but that's due to our professions or in my case ex-profession from over a decade ago...

And for textures, photoshop or gimp if you're desperate. If you need tips me and safetyhammer can give a hand on our IRC channel. We're both modellers and he can actually draw up a texture unlike me.

Is there anything better than 3D Max? I can't buy the license, obviously.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Ace Oliveira posted:

Is there anything better than 3D Max? I can't buy the license, obviously.

Well... better is probably subjective to each artist. For someone learning, Blender is not a bad tool to start with and there are plenty of community resources for it.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

So with the update, I unchecked NS from the fomm. I'm still getting 2-3 freezes in game. Any idea what could be causing this?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I finally managed to find an M14 after installing The Armory...and it has a scope :negative:

Welp, hopefully the unique version of it doesn't come with it pre-installed. I'm loving the Armory by the way, even though it doesn't add much it makes New Vegas feel New again. :shobon:

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

Naky posted:

Well... better is probably subjective to each artist. For someone learning, Blender is not a bad tool to start with and there are plenty of community resources for it.

Yeah, I checked Blender. It actually seems very good. I'll use it. Thanks, Naky.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Rirse posted:

I've spent all damned day trying to make her work, disabling and re-enabling every damned mod, and just now my 14GB data folder backup just finished copying between drives because I'm that frustrated. All because of this issue, and I'm afraid there're going to be more problems down the line :(

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Chronojam posted:

I've spent all damned day trying to make her work, disabling and re-enabling every damned mod, and just now my 14GB data folder backup just finished copying between drives because I'm that frustrated. All because of this issue, and I'm afraid there're going to be more problems down the line :(

That sucks :( Sunny moves and talks for me, but the game lags with pauses for like 3 seconds, constantly. I can't even play it like this!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

fennesz posted:

I finally managed to find an M14 after installing The Armory...and it has a scope :negative:

Welp, hopefully the unique version of it doesn't come with it pre-installed. I'm loving the Armory by the way, even though it doesn't add much it makes New Vegas feel New again. :shobon:

Tubby's Pride doesn't come with a scope IIRC.

It's also semi-auto.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Tubby's Pride doesn't come with a scope IIRC.

It's also semi-auto.

gently caress yeah bro. As stupid as it is, this alone will get me to play NV more - just because I want to find that sonofabitch.

e: I noticed a few ironsights were off and I figured out any easy way to see how they were aligned. If you're spectating in third person, aim down the sight and switch back to first person. You should see the ironsights along with the in-game crosshair telling you exactly where your bullets will be fired within it. For example the Gewehr 43 fires just slightly to the right of the post.

I figured it might come in handy to those (like myself) that find themselves trying out a lot of different weapons to get a feel for them. Oh and this works for determining where the weapon recoils to as well.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 11, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

fennesz posted:

gently caress yeah bro. As stupid as it is, this alone will get me to play NV more - just because I want to find that sonofabitch.
Please note that a lot of uniques I never got around to placing in the world and they're originally rejected variants that didn't make it to the leveled lists for a variety of reasons

I think it might still be in Gun Runner's inventory though since I forgot to touch the vast majority of that

Smuggins
Mar 14, 2008

Blasphemy! Blasphoryou! Blasphoreveryone!
Fun Shoe
I get convinced to play again with Honest Hearts and Old World Blues coming up plus understanding the awesomeness of Project Nevada.

Am I alone in having the newest version of NVSE failing because of the newest patch? I have the newest NVSE as of this morning.

*And I mean the game will not run until it's updated*

Smuggins fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 11, 2011

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Please note that a lot of uniques I never got around to placing in the world and they're originally rejected variants that didn't make it to the leveled lists for a variety of reasons

I think it might still be in Gun Runner's inventory though since I forgot to touch the vast majority of that

Maybe I'll just place it on the Legendary Deathclaw with the GECK. I've gotta earn that poo poo.

I'm still pretty low on this playthrough though, I'm level 12 and haven't seen it there but it's possible it'll appear when I'm 16 or 18.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

fennesz posted:

e: I noticed a few ironsights were off and I figured out any easy way to see how they were aligned. If you're spectating in third person, aim down the sight and switch back to first person. You should see the ironsights along with the in-game crosshair telling you exactly where your bullets will be fired within it. For example the Gewehr 43 fires just slightly to the right of the post.

I figured it might come in handy to those (like myself) that find themselves trying out a lot of different weapons to get a feel for them. Oh and this works for determining where the weapon recoils to as well.

Which ones are off? They all should have been fixed, but I could have forgotten to copy over the fixed ones. Not the first time this would have happened...

Oh and 2.5 will have a completely re-animated and re-done G43.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
When ever I go in an area added by the World of Pain mod the game starts stuttering. Anyone else get this, and is there a way to fix this?

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Danith posted:

When ever I go in an area added by the World of Pain mod the game starts stuttering. Anyone else get this, and is there a way to fix this?

edit: A uninstall and reinstall fixed it for me!

Deep Thoreau fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 11, 2011

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
Does anyone know any way to resolve the conflict between either The Armory and FOOK or The Armory and PN? I've got it down to these two possibilities, since my game was running fine with only the other two (was able to play for 2+ hours without a crash) but when I added just The Armory it did the usual crash leaving a building into the desert after an hour of play.

Here's my trimmed load order (disregard the companion mod, that's new and I couldn't disable it through FOMM because it kept reenabling for some reason, great program). I tried doing a merge patch (automatically made) through FNVEdit since I've still got very little idea what I'm supposed to be doing manually, but the only conflicts I saw (and that I think would make sense) seemed to be with the leveled lists esp. Do I just have to disable that and put up with the guns from The Armory only being available from vendors?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The Armory's leveled lists do not play nice with FOOK at all.

To fix the weapon lists from the esm just make a merged patch in FNVEdit.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The Armory's leveled lists do not play nice with FOOK at all.

To fix the weapon lists from the esm just make a merged patch in FNVEdit.

So then just turn off that esp, then? I already have the patch made, or well I guess I'll have to remake it, but as long as nothing more complicated than clicking the "make patch" button, that's easy enough. Cheers.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
I'm looking to tos some new weapons into the game, but worried about making it 'easy mode' or whatever. Is the armory going to work with that or are the guns all willy nilly? What's out there for my discerning tastes?

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

PNV + The Armory is working fine for me. I've even got other weapon related stuff in there like WME. Of those, The Armory is at the very bottom of the load list. Everything seems to work fine.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

That's correct--we're still waiting on some sort of update to make it compatible with the latest patch.

When she stops moving after talking to her, open up the console, click on her model (her name should pop up at the top of the screen) and type "disable" and then "enable." That seems to jump start characters when they fail to do something.

Tried this and she still stuck.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Naky posted:

Which ones are off? They all should have been fixed, but I could have forgotten to copy over the fixed ones. Not the first time this would have happened...

Oh and 2.5 will have a completely re-animated and re-done G43.

A few of the automatics recoil up into portions of their posts and it can be a little difficult to aim. It's really only the ones with intrusive irons. The 416 I remember was only accurate when fully automatic if you used the very top of the back post instead of the front post you see through the peep sight.

I would guess that's how you wanted recoil to function with automatics though, having laser accurate weapons that are firing at 1000 rpm would be a little ridiculous. I should have been more specific, all of the irons for semi-automatics (except the Gewehr 43) are pretty much spot on. I picked up the 1873 Carbine early on and used it as a sniper rifle for the first 11 of my levels.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 11, 2011

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Found out it was having the content of the Fallout 3 DLC enabled causing this. Was I suppose to load them before Dead Money/Honest Hearts (with the Fallout 3 to New Vegas mod on of course)?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Phuzzy posted:

I'm looking to tos some new weapons into the game, but worried about making it 'easy mode' or whatever. Is the armory going to work with that or are the guns all willy nilly? What's out there for my discerning tastes?

The Armory guns using the non-realism patches are balanced pretty well with the vanilla guns at their various tier levels. You won't find too many 'god' guns in the pack.

Honestly I just roll with the same 5 or 6 guns pretty much all the time despite spending all this time fixing, porting, and creating new weapons for the pack. I have my favorites regardless of how good they actually are and they're basically what I use the entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice
Can anyone help me figure out why the Darker Nights part of Electro-City is so freaking inconsistent for me? Sometimes is works, and sometimes it just shuts down (IE returns to vanilla nights, which look awful). It even happens while it's already night - like a light switch going off in the sky.

I don't get it. I have it in the right load order (at least according to the readme that came with the mod). Seems to happen a lot once I approach the central part of the map.