Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

A week or two ago I sent some of my images to SPIN to see if I had, from a technical standpoint, anything they would be interested in. Well, I got an email back today and they invited me to submit as much as I can to Soundcheck. I am so unbelievably happy about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hot Cops posted:

They're a great band to shoot - I fall in love with the singer every time and the lightbulb thingy they do is pretty cool, too.
Hahaha I saw them in Nijmegen a lil'while back. They're very fun indeed.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

Abnegatus posted:

A week or two ago I sent some of my images to SPIN to see if I had, from a technical standpoint, anything they would be interested in. Well, I got an email back today and they invited me to submit as much as I can to Soundcheck. I am so unbelievably happy about that.

Congratulations dude! Is soundcheck like some kind of stock archive sort of thing where that they pay you if they use it or what?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

psylent posted:

Managed to fix it (mostly) with some editing in Lightroom on the individual portraits - they're still works in progress though:

So who are these guys? Is this how they dress when they perform or is this a concept just for the photo shoot?

I went to a small hip hop show. It was cool.

0:30 Video of a dude rapping if you care to watch such a thing. http://youtu.be/k2aMhOh8oK4

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
I have another show at the House of Blues (Chicago) tonight, I loving love shoot at that venue. Here's hoping the security aren't a dick to me like they were the first time I shot there. After that I'll have my first hip hop show July 18 in some pub's basement, should be interesting!

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Going to try my hand at shooting Bloody Phoenix tonight with a few other bands in Fullerton.

Just finished these up:

I know most people aren't fond of dead centered shots, but I rather liked this:

IMG_1002 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

IMG_1234 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

MrOpus
Mar 21, 2004

Shot a local cover band on Thursday. Got a couple good ones out of the batch.

Half Empty 7/7/2011 by Chad Larson Photography, on Flickr

Outdoor concerts are SO much easier to shoot.

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

So who are these guys? Is this how they dress when they perform or is this a concept just for the photo shoot?

I went to a small hip hop show. It was cool.

0:30 Video of a dude rapping if you care to watch such a thing. http://youtu.be/k2aMhOh8oK4

Did they let you set up a couple flashes or did you place them regardless? Either way they look great.

What's the deal with the guy in the background of this photo? This could looks amazing if you highlighted the background guy and reduced the brightness of him a bit, just for balance y'know.

I'm not into rap music but the dude in't video has got skills.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Fun show:

Untitled by Myotomy, on Flickr

I wish using wireless mics boosted an artist's cool factor because mic stands are unfair. :(

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

They're a bunch of dudes who are in other bands, but have this "Hotcakes" band as a side project where they get to live out their rock n roll fantasy by slipping into character as a wildly successful rock stars on the tail end of their career.

And while they're taking the piss, they're actually pretty loving good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10WlA7e7_gI

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

AtomicManiac posted:

Congratulations dude! Is soundcheck like some kind of stock archive sort of thing where that they pay you if they use it or what?

It's a section in the magazine of live band shots, they use stuff that is non-commissioned.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

mysticp posted:

It's a section in the magazine of live band shots, they use stuff that is non-commissioned.

Pretty much. I also just got published in a Danish Metal mag, so I'm coming on up lol.

Here's some photo's from Bloody Phoenix from their 07-09-2011 show:

Bloody Phoenix 206 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Bloody Phoenix 268 ii by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Bloody Phoenix 219 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Bloody Phoenix 344 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand
Spoonfed Tribe. These guys are a blast.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

MrOpus posted:

A chain link mic stand? Really?

Tincans posted:

Did they let you set up a couple flashes or did you place them regardless? Either way they look great.

What's the deal with the guy in the background of this photo? This could looks amazing if you highlighted the background guy and reduced the brightness of him a bit, just for balance y'know.

I'm not into rap music but the dude in't video has got skills.

There were no stage lights, it was a fully lit boring bar. So I asked the guys if I could put up some lights with no problem at all. I had never been to this bar before, and had a feeling the light would be lovely so I packed up some lights into the car. I used 2 sb600s, bare bulb, triggered with CLS (I love CLS).

The guy in the background is Drew Skills, he's another rapper. He does seem a little out of place, but there's lots of white dudes rapping these days.

dreggory posted:

Wow, flute explosion. I like it man.

toppro
Jun 19, 2006
Went to see the Riverboat Gamblers.

http://500px.com/kwillingham

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Ufomammut, Neopan 1600

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

I just finished catching up on this thread from May. I forgot how much great stuff comes out of it, everyone in here does such a good job. Also I think it's awesome to see more of you guys show up in magazines and stuff! :)

I shot the Montana Folk Festival last weekend, it was nice getting to shoot in mostly natural light, especially because I was shooting with my new Tamron 70-200/2.8 and I'm fairly new to shooting with telephoto at all. A lot of cool bands, I'm excited for next year already.

Kotchenga Dance Company

Boukman Eksperyans

Boukman Eksperyans

Kermit Ruffins & The BBQ Swingers

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

Went to some music thing:

_MG_2644 by Stealthdozer, on Flickr

_MG_2550 by Stealthdozer, on Flickr

_MG_2257 by Stealthdozer, on Flickr
Hating myself for chopping up the guitar on this one

_MG_2055 by Stealthdozer, on Flickr

_MG_2027 by Stealthdozer, on Flickr

_MG_1956 by Stealthdozer, on Flickr

_MG_1985 by Stealthdozer, on Flickr
Fantastic douchebags were in attendance :jerkbag:

Ragtime All The Time fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 16, 2011

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I am the rankest amateur at concert photos, but I like taking them more than just about anything else you can point a camera at. Here are some I've been fond of lately. I'm going to see Cults tomorrow too - hype to get some photos of them if I can.

Gord Downie 3 by strangeretina, on Flickr

Becky Black - The Pack A.D. by strangeretina, on Flickr

IMG_0153.jpg by strangeretina, on Flickr

Gord Downie BW 2 by strangeretina, on Flickr

Dave Konopka - Battles by strangeretina, on Flickr

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 21, 2011

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I like shooting metal bands with really high ISO B&W film.

YOB @ King's Barcade 07/18/11 by iantuten, on Flickr

Dark Castle @ King's Barcade 07/18/11 by iantuten, on Flickr

US Christmas @ King's Barcade 07/18/11 by iantuten, on Flickr

MrOpus
Mar 21, 2004

Shot a band on Thursday. Accordions!

Copper Box 7/21/2011 by Chad Larson Photography, on Flickr

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I've been looking through a lot of old punk concert photos from the late 70s to the early 90s and it strikes me that almost every single one of them were taken with a flash which is kind of funny given how stuffy some concert photographers today get about using flash. I mean I know the technical reasons why they used to use flash all the time, I find it interesting how we've moved away from that particular look and how major artists are so against it now when their predecessors had it all the time.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

HPL posted:

I've been looking through a lot of old punk concert photos from the late 70s to the early 90s and it strikes me that almost every single one of them were taken with a flash which is kind of funny given how stuffy some concert photographers today get about using flash. I mean I know the technical reasons why they used to use flash all the time, I find it interesting how we've moved away from that particular look and how major artists are so against it now when their predecessors had it all the time.

Photography was also a lot more difficult and there were greater barriers to entry. Back then you'd have to pay a photographer who could probably do whatever the hell he wanted, these days you'll get 5 "photographers" who will pay the cover, shoot for free and give you all of their photos just for credit.

Add to that the Digital vs. Film era; where a photog might only shoot a roll or two of film in the past, the Snap happy digital photogs may take 300-400 photos per set.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

AtomicManiac posted:

Photography was also a lot more difficult and there were greater barriers to entry. Back then you'd have to pay a photographer who could probably do whatever the hell he wanted, these days you'll get 5 "photographers" who will pay the cover, shoot for free and give you all of their photos just for credit.

Add to that the Digital vs. Film era; where a photog might only shoot a roll or two of film in the past, the Snap happy digital photogs may take 300-400 photos per set.

I think artistically the bar was a lot lower back then too. There were far fewer "epic" shots than there are nowadays, probably because back then all they had was a 50mm, a 28mm and maaaaybe a 90mm or 135mm so you could get those crazy perspective shots like you get with an ultra-wide. That plus manual focus slowing things down. It was more of a "this happened and here's proof of it" documentary kind of thing as opposed to more of an artistic venture. Not to mention that wireless flash was barely even a dream back then.

Using full-on flash does turn it into more of the old "f8 and be there" Weegee kind of thing as I've found out from shooting medium format.

diehlr
Apr 17, 2003
Remember not to use restricted post tags next time.

HPL posted:

I think artistically the bar was a lot lower back then too. There were far fewer "epic" shots than there are nowadays, probably because back then all they had was a 50mm, a 28mm and maaaaybe a 90mm or 135mm so you could get those crazy perspective shots like you get with an ultra-wide. That plus manual focus slowing things down. It was more of a "this happened and here's proof of it" documentary kind of thing as opposed to more of an artistic venture. Not to mention that wireless flash was barely even a dream back then.

Using full-on flash does turn it into more of the old "f8 and be there" Weegee kind of thing as I've found out from shooting medium format.

Not to mention half of photography these days is in post processing and whatever trend / style people think looks good in post processed images.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
Couple of shots from the Slayer/Rob Zombie concert this weekend in Pittsburgh. Standard photo rules applied - shoot for the first 3 songs, no flash allowed, then GTFO. Used my 50mm 1.8.

Tom Araya of Slayer

Kerry King. :argh: Fog Machines!!!

Zombie

:zombie:

Rock Motherfucker

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
How does Rob Zombie always look so cool? He's wearing some loving armor!

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
That dude can put on a loving show. I have tons more if anyone's interested. He came out of a giant flaming robot!

Fingers crossed that we can get passes to the Alice Cooper show in a couple weeks, it's looking good!!!

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Just got back from Warped. Got a ton of shots that only 5% of which will be good.

On a side note if you get a chance to shoot Enter Shikari you should do it. They are insane live

Rou Reynolds goes swinging by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

He is hanging by his mic cord, he jumped on top of a speaker and rappelled down

*edit* bonus jumping shot of We Came As Romans

We Came As Romans by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 27, 2011

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Anyone else entering the NME Photo Awards this year? They're open if anyone is contemplating it: http://www.nme.com/ratemy/218222/nme-amateur-music-photography-awards-2011

Also, drumming up votes is always good fun:

http://www.nme.com/ratemy/218222/nme-amateur-music-photography-awards-2011/item/225967

http://www.nme.com/ratemy/218222/nme-amateur-music-photography-awards-2011/item/225966

http://www.nme.com/ratemy/218222/nme-amateur-music-photography-awards-2011/item/225965

http://www.nme.com/ratemy/218222/nme-amateur-music-photography-awards-2011/item/225964

http://www.nme.com/ratemy/218222/nme-amateur-music-photography-awards-2011/item/225963

Got three into the top twenty yesterday, but they've dropped off somehow; guess people gathering friends and downvoting the top lists? I dunno. Not asking ~~HaY GuYz PLZPLPLZ VOTE MY STUFF TENS~~thaaaaaaaaaaanx but it'd be nice to have some votes on them :)

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I'll vote for you.

Additionally, I'm shooting pretty much my favourite band in the world tonight: Pulp. gently caress YEAH.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

psylent posted:

I'll vote for you.

Additionally, I'm shooting pretty much my favourite band in the world tonight: Pulp. gently caress YEAH.

A true bro right here. Also envious of Pulp; I wanted so bad to go to Splendour just for them, but the amount of clashes on the other bands I want to see mean that without a press pass, there's no way I'm paying $420 for it. At least I get to go and chill with Danananakroyd while touring with DZ in August :D

If you end up shooting Children Collide at the Sydney show on the 12th, let me know and I'll pass out beer and popcorn. Maybe not popcorn.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

So. Good. Massive nostalgia trip for me. Will post photos from the pit later.

Wasn't planning on doing Children Collide but will keep an eye out for passes, they're an awesome live band :)

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

That is a very nice wide shot of the stage.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Warped Tour was fun (and hot). I think I need to photoshop the guitar out on the right

Veara-33 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

More at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehansenphoto/collections/72157627298586704/ and a writeup on my website tonight

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Avenged Sevenfold are the boredest looking band I've ever shot. Pyro, huge drum risers, playing in an stadium setting (which couldn't have had more than 400-600 people in GA, and about a quarter of the seats filled) and they just looked so bored. gently caress bands like them.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
^^^
They've been like that for year. I shot them maybe 6 years ago when they were getting their start and they were a hell of a lot better.

pr0digal posted:

Warped Tour was fun (and hot). I think I need to photoshop the guitar out on the right

Veara-33 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

More at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehansenphoto/collections/72157627298586704/ and a writeup on my website tonight

Nice shot. I'm out on all the FL dates right now with D.R.U.G.S. I've spent way more time hanging out than I have shooting sadly. I've really only shot three bands the past two days. I'm hoping to shoot more tomorrow.

Here's my fave from today.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

EELS

Eels by markosaar, on Flickr

They were so so so so so so sooooooooo good.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AckvdGbk4w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I can't make any sense of that ... except I guess that's the same gothy guy from The IT Crowd haha.