Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The 4G is still a very solid phone today, but I expect it to be showing its age pretty well in two years (or less) when dual core phones like the 3D are common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

IOwnCalculus posted:

The 4G is still a very solid phone today, but I expect it to be showing its age pretty well in two years (or less) when dual core phones like the 3D are common.

The extra $100 is well worth going with the 3D. I had a Nexus One (very similar hardware spec-wise) for a year and a half and I'm blown away at how fast the 3D is.

*edit* Plus a qHD is pretty amazing.

big mean giraffe fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 10, 2011

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

mophomanners posted:

These are spectrum protection sites there are about a thousand of them Madison is not being "built" just a tower or two.
Where did you find this info?

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Has anyone here picked up the Seidio Active for their Evo 3d?

While the otterbox defender provides some excellent protection the Seidio Active reminds me a lot of the case I have on my ipod touch from switcheasy that I really like. I think it just released though so I can't find very many pictures or reviews of it yet.

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

falz posted:

Where did you find this info?

I do work for clearwire:airquote:.......

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
My boyfriend and I both use that case and we love it.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

Protip posted:

While the otterbox defender provides some excellent protection the Seidio Active reminds me a lot of the case I have on my ipod touch from switcheasy that I really like. I think it just released though so I can't find very many pictures or reviews of it yet.

I haven't myself but reviews on XDA are very positive and I plan to pick one up soon. Or the official HTC kickstand one. Not sure yet.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Personally I don't think a screen protector is worth hedging the risk of a scratch. I'd rather invest in a case/pouch you can keep your phone in to keep the screen protected while not in use, as that eliminates almost all the chance for a screen to get scratched--it's not going to while you're actually using it.

I've been looking for a sleeve like the Nexus 1 came with, has anyone found just a neoprene sleeve for the Evo 4G/3D? I don't want leather, zippers, clips, drawstrings, or anything else, just a slip cover.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

mophomanners posted:

I do work for clearwire:airquote:.......
Ah, thanks. Any data on where exactly these placeholder towers are located and if they are on permanently?

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

falz posted:

Ah, thanks. Any data on where exactly these placeholder towers are located and if they are on permanently?

yes they are on permanently and you can find them here http://www.clear.com/coverage

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

900ftjesus posted:

I've been looking for a sleeve like the Nexus 1 came with, has anyone found just a neoprene sleeve for the Evo 4G/3D? I don't want leather, zippers, clips, drawstrings, or anything else, just a slip cover.

This is going to sound ghetto as crap, but I used a flattened beer cozy as a sleeve for mine. They're thick, they're neoprene, and you probably have a few unused ones lying around anyway. Mine started out as a "just until I find a case that I like" and I ended up using it for a year and a half.

It'll at least get you through until you find something you like better.

EDIT: Might as well take the opportunity to ask if anyone has tried any DOS emulators on their phone. I've got a lot of old Sierra games I'd like to play, and I found two supposed DOSBox ports on appbrain:
aDosBox http://www.appbrain.com/app/adosbox/org.hystudio.android.dosbox
and
AnDoxBox http://www.appbrain.com/app/andosbox/com.locnet.dosbox

Or would this be better to ask in the Android thread?

Mnemosyne fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 10, 2011

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I'm ready to upgrade to the Evo 3D (currently on a Verizon dumbphone). I have a 25% discount through work, does it make more sense to use this, or should I apply for the EPRP mentioned in the OP?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

blargle posted:

I'm ready to upgrade to the Evo 3D (currently on a Verizon dumbphone). I have a 25% discount through work, does it make more sense to use this, or should I apply for the EPRP mentioned in the OP?

With $10 a month fee:
$69.99 eprp
$63.99 Ish regular

Note: discount doesn't apply towards $10 fee, $8 insurance, or any add ons.

Go with the 25% would be my recommendation.

mtr
May 15, 2008

Protip posted:

I have this for the Evo 4G and I highly recommend it. The case for the 3D looks to be made the exact same way as the 4G case. The only problem I've had with it is that if you drop it directly on one of the plastic corners, there's a good chance that the plastic corner snaps off. All four of my plastic corners are gone, but the plastic backing can still attach using the middle two "hooks".

It feels good in your hand, the plastic backing offers a good surface for the phone to sit on, and I have no physical damage to the phone even when I've dropped it from 3 or 4 feet onto the ground.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150305151453084

Evo 3D unlock in August.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

900ftjesus posted:

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150305151453084

Evo 3D unlock in August.

Hell yeah, I never lost faith HTC :patriot:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
People are hilarious. "gently caress YOU HTC YOU SHOULD HAVE NEVER LOCKED THE PHONE IN THE FIRST PLACE" and "This does nothing to prevent me from returning my phone tomorrow" and a hundred other retarded babies sounding off.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Just wondering, I've looked through the last few pages and didn't see anyone talking about it, but I was looking for a new phone and thought that the Motorola Photon sounded cool. I actually went into a Sprint store and the clerk there recommended that I wait rather than just getting the 3d (which I'd planned to do). How do they compare? The Photon (according to specs) will have more internal memory and I know the tegra 2 chipset is really nice, but the lack of discussion here (or in a few other places I checked online) makes me wonder if I'm missing something. Is it worth waiting, or is the 3d likely gonna be better? I'm not all that interested in 3d pics/vids (and tbh I really don't like the camera setup on the back) but if it's otherwise a better phone I'd just grab that. Using it overseas might also be an issue (since I might need to take it to Japan) and I'm not exactly sure about how cell signals and sim cards work over different nations.

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

alansmithee posted:

:words:

It's Motorola prepare to get your hopes up only to be disappointed by under performance

mophomanners fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 11, 2011

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

mtr posted:

I have this for the Evo 4G and I highly recommend it. The case for the 3D looks to be made the exact same way as the 4G case. The only problem I've had with it is that if you drop it directly on one of the plastic corners, there's a good chance that the plastic corner snaps off. All four of my plastic corners are gone, but the plastic backing can still attach using the middle two "hooks".

It feels good in your hand, the plastic backing offers a good surface for the phone to sit on, and I have no physical damage to the phone even when I've dropped it from 3 or 4 feet onto the ground.

Thanks for the recommendation. I ordered the Active for the Evo 3d and a Active for the Evo as my fiance and I are upgrading on Saturday and we wanted to have cases ready for the phones to go into.

You don't by any chance have a full body skin on your Evo 4G as well, do you? I like having that extra layer of protection but sometimes that extra millimeter of thickness can mess up how cases fit over the phone. Probably overkill, but it worked well for me with my Hero.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

alansmithee posted:

Motorola Photon
It's Sprint first high-end Motorola device, so aside from folks who've recently come over from Verizon, folks here have little experience with their high-end stuff. The two big issues are that, historically Motorola devices have been less hackable than HTC, which makes them less favorable to folks here interested in custom ROMs; and other recent Motorola high-end offerings (Atrix, X2?) appear to be hampered by sluggish software despite running on top-notch hardware.

That said, Motorola has promised to unlock their "late 2011" devices, although we have no confirmation if whether the Photon is included in this. But given what folks are doing with the Atrix since the unlocked bootloader leaked out, it could be a device that ends up with some amount of interest in the end, assuming it's not overshadowed by the Evo 3D's release lead.

Anyways, aside from world-phone capability, I don't think the Photon is a significant improvement over the Evo 3D for many folks here to consider waiting for it. It has a slower clock CPU, but more internal memory, and an 8 MP camera vs 5 MP. Tegra 2 is nice, but some folks are unhappy with the whole Tegra exclusive bullshit and so aren't purposefully playing into it.

If you're interested in world phone (GSM/UMTS) capability, it's certainly worth waiting a few weeks (late July release?) to see how it shapes up in reviews.

vwman18
Jul 30, 2005

bah weep graaagnah wheep ni ni bong
I'm looking to upgrade my Pre in the very near future. I'm really interested in the Arrive right now. Does Sprint tack on the $10 premium data fee onto my SERO premium for this phone?

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That said, Motorola has promised to unlock their "late 2011" devices, although we have no confirmation if whether the Photon is included in this. But given what folks are doing with the Atrix since the unlocked bootloader leaked out, it could be a device that ends up with some amount of interest in the end, assuming it's not overshadowed by the Evo 3D's release lead.

They've already confirmed the Photon would be locked.
http://androidandme.com/2011/06/news/bad-moto-motorola-photon-4g-has-a-locked-bootloader/

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

vwman18 posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my Pre in the very near future. I'm really interested in the Arrive right now. Does Sprint tack on the $10 premium data fee onto my SERO premium for this phone?
No, the arrive doesn't have 4g.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

a shameful boehner posted:

here's a picture of the (clear) silicone case I got for my evo:

I like it.

Where did you get that if you don't mind me asking?

I like hexagons.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Anyone else getting problems with their 3d with the camera? If I try to take a lot of photos rapidly, the camera app locks up.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

TLG James posted:

Anyone else getting problems with their 3d with the camera? If I try to take a lot of photos rapidly, the camera app locks up.

It's probably SD-card related. The guy at Sprint told me it needs to be at least class 6 (or 4?) (I can't remember which) for 3D to work properly but 4/6 aren't that particularly fast to begin with, especially with rapid-fire photos.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

TheBlackMallard posted:

They've already confirmed the Photon would be locked.
Oh, crud, I missed that.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

Where did you get that if you don't mind me asking?

I like hexagons.

I just bought it from a Sprint kiosk at a mall near me. They had a range of colors, green and red as well.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

traveling midget posted:

It's probably SD-card related. The guy at Sprint told me it needs to be at least class 6 (or 4?) (I can't remember which) for 3D to work properly but 4/6 aren't that particularly fast to begin with, especially with rapid-fire photos.

Sure, saving large photos to a slow card will slow things down, but if the app allows that to cause lock-ups/FCs, that app is hosed up. I'd bet you could replicate the same issue with a class 10 if you went nuts with it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I just bought it from a Sprint kiosk at a mall near me. They had a range of colors, green and red as well.

I carry those cases, they are standard "Slider Skins" that any Sprint retailer can order from Technocell (most sprint accessories are Technocell). Just make sure you don't pay too much, sometimes I sell them for $20, sometimes $25, and most sprint dealers will give them for free with phone purchased if pushed. Sprint stores get them for $5, if people wanted to know the actual COGS.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

I carry those cases, they are standard "Slider Skins" that any Sprint retailer can order from Technocell (most sprint accessories are Technocell). Just make sure you don't pay too much, sometimes I sell them for $20, sometimes $25, and most sprint dealers will give them for free with phone purchased if pushed. Sprint stores get them for $5, if people wanted to know the actual COGS.

drat. I got mine for $20, I thought it was worth it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

drat. I got mine for $20, I thought it was worth it.

Honestly, it is. That's accessory markups everywhere, its even higher markups at Best Buy. I've paid that and more for cases and chargers myself, if its a good case its a good case. Note that you didn't pay $25 :)

No release date on the Photon yet, but it is going to be a big push. Sprint is now releasing Home Phone service for $19.99 a month for anyone who cares.

Also, mail-in rebates are back :( but not completely. $50 mail-in rebate via in store or online for any phone that has a net price of under $149.99. So basically, the Evo 3D is $199 instant, the Evo will be $149.99 with a $50 rebate, net price of $99. Port Credits are extended past July 24th, so the $125 a line credit for switching to Sprint is going for another month or two.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Duckman2008 posted:

No release date on the Photon yet, but it is going to be a big push. Sprint is now releasing Home Phone service for $19.99 a month for anyone who cares.

What kind of home phone service? Is it VoIP like Vonage? If so, I figured this was coming because the manual for my Airave talked about home phone service and I had never heard of such a thing from Sprint.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

letsgoflyers81 posted:

What kind of home phone service? Is it VoIP like Vonage? If so, I figured this was coming because the manual for my Airave talked about home phone service and I had never heard of such a thing from Sprint.

It goes via CDMA, so I would assume cell service technically.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
How would this work? Cellular home phone sounds a bit contradictory.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

letsgoflyers81 posted:

A box with a CDMA radio, big honkin' battery, and ties into your copper pair I presume.

fagalicious
Jan 15, 2004

WHAT FAG

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Its probably like what verizon already offers: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/homephoneconnect.jsp

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Is there an SMS outage today? Getting error 2128 whenever I try to send a text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Stevie Lee posted:

Is there an SMS outage today? Getting error 2128 whenever I try to send a text.

Yeah I was getting that too. Looks like a nationwide outage.