Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Jigger
May 8, 2008

Gravity Pike posted:

Oh, you're just trying to get your money back? I thought that the idea was your friend thought that PayPal made a mistake, and you were trying to get the money to him.

Honestly, I don't know if you're going to be able to convince PayPal to refund a gift. However, I'm with the other goon who got called out for being anti-social. You paid him the money in the format that he asked for. It really ought to be his responsibility to either deliver on the goods or provide you a refund. It is 100% not your fault that his "bank" took money deposited into one of his accounts in order to pay off an overdrawn balance. It's his, for having the overdrawn account in the first place.

Am I further misunderstanding, and this "friend" is just kinda shady, and isn't playing ball?

I don't think he's being shady. He apparently told me to not send him that money via PayPal because he thought this might happen, but I honestly don't remember that conversation; I'm not sure that I'm entitled to demand that he give me what I gave him that money for. I guess Im just gonna call PayPal on Monday and hope for the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Spermando posted:

What's the name of that old cartoon where a present day family falls in a time warp and ends up living with cavemen and fighting dinosaurs? I'm pretty sure it was a Hannah-Barbera cartoon.

Land of the Lost? It was live action rather the a cartoon but it more or less fits the plot

Either way it's always worthwhile to watch the intro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCpScBIm0lk

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What language is this?

http://www.scribd.com/doc/17708999/Samvadangalude-Velichem-01

"Samvadangalude Velichem"

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Can you screenshot that page? For some reason whatever script that is written in is showing up as random letters on my computer.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I think it's Malayalam, but that's just a guess.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Xandu posted:

Good guess http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Malayalam-Islamic-Class/message/1893

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Xandu posted:

Thanks, for some reason when you GIS "earrjg" a bunch of pages like that show up.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

fishmech posted:

Because signal leaks out, man.
Again, this is because some signal will leak out but it's coming from the core of the cable. And air is actually a rather poor insulator for electromagnetic waves, mate. Like if air was a good insulator against electromagnetic radiation, it'd be practically impossible to broadcast anything. Are you getting confused with how keeping an air gap insulates against electrical current, a different thing?

Again, not an insulator against electromagnetic waves, well, not the ones we use for broadcasting at least.

Yeah, uh, I think you've really misunderstood some physics lecture at some point.

I'm trying to understand the anti-kapalama (sorry, that seems really loaded) explanation. Can someone review these points of that explanation? --

- from reading Wikipedia, the inner conductor and outer conductor transmit paired AC current, and the outer conductor is connected to ground. The effect is that the shielding enables higher frequency signaling and minimizes signal attenuation. The metal does function as a waveguide, but it also carries an electrical signal
-

kapalama posted:

For physical construction reasons the 'insulator' is there to protect the spacing and distance, but it is the only thing carrying signal.
Even though, in an ideal coax cable, the only E/M field associated with the signal is within the outer conductor, that does not mean the E/M field is the primary phenomenon. In fact, it is the byproduct of the currents in the inner and outer conductors.
-

kapalama posted:

The thing that usually causes problems is breaks in either of the wave guide materials. Which is why splitters cause signal loss, because anything that screws together will not make perfect electrical contact.
The reason splitters or other attaching components cause signal loss is imperfect impedance matching, not imperfect electrical contact (unless kapalama is implying that imperfect contact is some specific unexpected capacitance).

Does this summarize the differences between kapalama and everyone else? I'm just trying to learn the truth here.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

kimbo305 posted:

Does this summarize the differences between kapalama and everyone else? I'm just trying to learn the truth here.

Yes, that's exactly correct.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Spermando posted:

What's the name of that old cartoon where a present day family falls in a time warp and ends up living with cavemen and fighting dinosaurs? I'm pretty sure it was a Hannah-Barbera cartoon.

I remember this too. It had a similar name to Land of the Lost, but it was a separate thing. I remember watching it as a kid in the 80s, but it was most definitely animated. Pretty sure it was part of the USA Cartoon Express lineup.

e: Found it, it was called Valley of the Dinosaurs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-8TPrEU3nU

stubblyhead fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 11, 2011

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

I'm travelling to the US pretty soon and seeing as I didn't have a credit card yet - they aren't very common in my country - I got a combined Visa credit/debit card. My question is, are those very common in the US and how do they work over there?

Over here the cashier for example in a grocery store will either ask you whether you want to use credit or debit, or they'll have a chip reader and you'll push a button to choose which one to use, and then input your four digit code. Same with ATMs.

I've gotten the impression that in the US credit cards are the norm and some places or some ATMs might not recognize a debit card. Thus I'm worried that if my card just defaults to credit I'll reach my rather low credit limit soon, and hilariously be unable to pay for anything though I have money on my bank account.

edit: VVVVVV ok, thanks!

TURTLE SLUT fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 11, 2011

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I think ATMs almost only work with debit cards, so there's no issue there. Plenty of people use debit cards for day to day stuff, though credit cards are quite common too. Most stores in the US operate exactly like you described they do in your country, they'll ask if you want to use credit or debit. I wouldn't worry about it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What's the best way to ship 12 DVDs in slimline cases? Looking at the stack, it doesn't look like any of the USPS's flat-rate boxes are going to be very close to the right shape, and I don't know much about FedEx or UPS's boxes.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

kimbo305 posted:

I'm trying to understand the anti-kapalama (sorry, that seems really loaded) explanation. Can someone review these points of that explanation? --
:science: :words:
Excellent summary.

Cukel posted:

I'm travelling to the US pretty soon and seeing as I didn't have a credit card yet - they aren't very common in my country - I got a combined Visa credit/debit card. My question is, are those very common in the US and how do they work over there?

Over here the cashier for example in a grocery store will either ask you whether you want to use credit or debit, or they'll have a chip reader and you'll push a button to choose which one to use, and then input your four digit code. Same with ATMs.

I've gotten the impression that in the US credit cards are the norm and some places or some ATMs might not recognize a debit card. Thus I'm worried that if my card just defaults to credit I'll reach my rather low credit limit soon, and hilariously be unable to pay for anything though I have money on my bank account.
That's pretty much the same as in the US. I don't use a debit card, but I think my ATM card technically is one, and I often get asked "debit or credit" at grocery stores and even automated gas station pumps.

Xandu posted:

I think ATMs almost only work with debit cards, so there's no issue there.
Every ATM I've ever seen will take a credit card and cash advance you money on it. But you'll get raped with fees and higher-than-normal interest so it's a bad idea if you have any alternative at all.

hooah posted:

What's the best way to ship 12 DVDs in slimline cases? Looking at the stack, it doesn't look like any of the USPS's flat-rate boxes are going to be very close to the right shape, and I don't know much about FedEx or UPS's boxes.
Just wrap it up with shipping (heavy) paper as a stack? If you're paranoid, maybe one layer of thin small bubble-wrap of foam paper first. Or find a suitably-sized cardboard box. Or make one by cutting up a larger box and folding it.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
A debit card with a Visa or Mastercard logo can absolutely be used as a credit card at any point of sale that accepts Visa and Mastercard. It works differently in some ways on the back end, but in terms of paying for goods and services, don't even waste the merchant's time explaining that it's a debit card. If they ask you, "debit or credit," they are asking if you want to punch your pin number in (debit) to authorize the payment or sign a receipt (credit). The guy selling you a pack of smokes does not give one single gently caress if the funds come straight from your checking account, or if you get billed at the end of the month.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hooah posted:

Get a regular cardboard box and ship Media Mail. It'll be cheaper than priority, although slower.

Also, I guarantee there's a flat rate box that can fit 12 DVDs. Some guy just shipped me 4 laptops via flat rate.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

FCKGW posted:

Get a regular cardboard box and ship Media Mail. It'll be cheaper than priority, although slower.

Also, I guarantee there's a flat rate box that can fit 12 DVDs. Some guy just shipped me 4 laptops via flat rate.

I know there are boxes big enough; I was more concerned about extra space. I'll poke around at work and see if we have any reasonably-sized boxes. If not, I'll go with randyest's suggestion.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If I were to buy 60s vintage glasses on, say, eBay, would I be able to get decently priced new lenses to put in them, or are glasses shapes standardized now so that it would be very expensive?

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
It would be exactly the same. Lenses come as round blanks. They have a machine that figures out the shape of the frames and cuts the lenses to fit.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Why do processed foods have so much saturated fat? I can understand sodium, but saturated fats I have no idea.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Zero Gravitas posted:

Cruelty to bears.

EDIT:

Plus, does anyone know of a site that randomly generates maths problems? I'm out of practice with calculus and need some practice.

http://www.thatquiz.org/

It seems like it randomly generates stuff! Some of the options looked a bit unobvious, but I haven't played with it much. The nice thing about is that there are other than maths quizzes, too! You can either do some word defintion excercises in a few languages (please don't do it in your own, it's too easy) and name countries on a map. Also included are some weird "name parts of a cell" and other goofy stuff. Everyone go take a look at least!

SnowblindFatal fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 11, 2011

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

b0nes posted:

Why do processed foods have so much saturated fat? I can understand sodium, but saturated fats I have no idea.

What kind of processed foods do you mean? Processed meats or something else? Saturated fat isn't harmful to human health, so it's not anything to worry about.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

Sizzlechest posted:

What kind of processed foods do you mean? Processed meats or something else? Saturated fat isn't harmful to human health, so it's not anything to worry about.

What? Are you sure you're not thinking of mono and poly-unsaturated fats? Even if you were, those still should be consumed in moderation. Saturated fat is really not good for you and should be avoided when possible.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Jeffrey Colon posted:

What? Are you sure you're not thinking of mono and poly-unsaturated fats? Even if you were, those still should be consumed in moderation. Saturated fat is really not good for you and should be avoided when possible.

No, saturated is fine. It was once thought to be associated with heart disease, but there's never been any convincing evidence that it's harmful. The general recommendation nowadays is to substitute saturated fat with unsaturated fat since saturated fat raises LDL cholesterol. However, even this advice is poor since the type of LDL cholesterol saturated fat raises is the safe kind, and it lowers the bad LDL.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Hm, interesting stuff. I'm going to eat a block of cheese in celebration today.

Still though, saturated fat is mostly in high calorie junk food, so you should still try and avoid it for the most part.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Still though, saturated fat is mostly in high calorie junk food, so you should still try and avoid it for the most part.

Well, you should avoid junk food, but not because of the fat or calories. Steak and eggs has saturated fat, but they're good for you.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

stubblyhead posted:

I remember this too. It had a similar name to Land of the Lost, but it was a separate thing. I remember watching it as a kid in the 80s, but it was most definitely animated. Pretty sure it was part of the USA Cartoon Express lineup.

e: Found it, it was called Valley of the Dinosaurs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-8TPrEU3nU

That´s the one, thank you! For a moment I thought I was confusing Land of the Lost with Jonny Quest or some other Hannah Barbera cartoon.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
I have a bunch of anime stuff that I've been hanging on to since I was in my early teens. I'm moving again so it's time to try to get rid of it... again. What are some good websites/forums/whatever to post it on?

I have a couple of framed cels, an art book that has seen better days, a framed autographed sketch, and some misc collectibles, stickers and nonsense. Most are related to the anime/manga Fushigi Yuugi. At this point I would give them away for cost of shipping; it just seems a shame to put them in the garbage, since they cost me my parents hundreds of dollars. I've tried SA mart and got rid of some. Any ideas?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I have a bunch of anime stuff that I've been hanging on to since I was in my early teens. I'm moving again so it's time to try to get rid of it... again. What are some good websites/forums/whatever to post it on?

I have a couple of framed cels, an art book that has seen better days, a framed autographed sketch, and some misc collectibles, stickers and nonsense. Most are related to the anime/manga Fushigi Yuugi. At this point I would give them away for cost of shipping; it just seems a shame to put them in the garbage, since they cost me my parents hundreds of dollars. I've tried SA mart and got rid of some. Any ideas?

If you're in a major metro, I've had good luck with local subreddits over on Reddit.

(i.e. http://www.reddit.com/r/nyc for New York)

"Free if you show up and actually take it" works pretty well usually.

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.
http://www.pennypostcards.com/pepperoni/pc64.jpg.html

Could somebody translate this please? Looks like an eastern European language.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

isoprenaline posted:

http://www.pennypostcards.com/pepperoni/pc64.jpg.html

Could somebody translate this please? Looks like an eastern European language.

It reads "DRUDGE REPORT" for me.

I suspect your link is just broken though.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
isoprenaline, don't image leech. Also, they meant to post the following (I do not know the language):

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

helopticor posted:

isoprenaline, don't image leech. Also, they meant to post the following (I do not know the language):

googling some words brings up a bunch of czech websites, so that might be the language at least.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

What's the protocol for shaking hands with someone who's got their right arm missing? I would rule out not shaking hands because that seems unfriendly, but would you extend your right to their left, or your left to their left? I'm leaning towards left to left.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Pweller posted:

googling some words brings up a bunch of czech websites, so that might be the language at least.

Google translate provides the following:

The weeping, wailing, you're great!
Daily cedíš bucket of tears;
therefore to keep your memory,
Your faithful kontrfej here!

e: Kontrfej appears to mean something like 'portrait.' I am guessing that it means your reflection in the bucket of tears.

stubblyhead fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 12, 2011

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Anjow posted:

What's the protocol for shaking hands with someone who's got their right arm missing? I would rule out not shaking hands because that seems unfriendly, but would you extend your right to their left, or your left to their left? I'm leaning towards left to left.

Extending your left hand seems like a respectable plan, but I'm sure the guy realizes it's confusing for people, so smiling + whatever = all good.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

Lord Jigger posted:

I don't think he's being shady. He apparently told me to not send him that money via PayPal because he thought this might happen, but I honestly don't remember that conversation; I'm not sure that I'm entitled to demand that he give me what I gave him that money for. I guess Im just gonna call PayPal on Monday and hope for the best.

I'm a little late to the game, but you're definitely entitled to what you gave him money for. PayPal isn't going to help you. It's his problem. He knew he had a negative balance, and you gave him money which was used to pay off his debt. That is his money now that he spent. He needs to hold up his end of the deal.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Anjow posted:

Wait for them to make a move. They are more used to this situation than you are, and will make it obvious what your appropriate response is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Anjow posted:

My dad has MS and can't really move his right arm, he always extends his left. If it ends up being a lefty to a righty it's ok. I'm sure it's more awkward to the able-armed person as it's a rare occurence, but it's so common the other way around it doesn't make a difference.