Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Z3n posted:

I agree the 05 that you think is the best buy is probably your best option.

I've seen those huskys have quite a few issues. Mostly revolving around the cam chain stretching early. It will be more powerful, have nicer components, etc., but for reliability and pure getting you to work, Id go DRZ. Learn from my mistakes, resist the temptation to mod, and save that money to sell the drz and buy a 690 if you decide to stick with the sumo style.

Cool cool. If I do go for the DRZ I'd just fit some handguards (seriously, what's with no one fitting them?), do the 3x3 mod and maybe a re-jet for the exhuast and then leave it alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Cool cool. If I do go for the DRZ I'd just fit some handguards (seriously, what's with no one fitting them?), do the 3x3 mod and maybe a re-jet for the exhuast and then leave it alone.

How strong is the AUD vs the USD right now? The only mod I would consider is doing the FCR, if you can get a deal on it. Might be able to get a deal here in the states if prices are inflated there.

Handguards should be a given on a sumo.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Z3n posted:

How strong is the AUD vs the USD right now? The only mod I would consider is doing the FCR, if you can get a deal on it. Might be able to get a deal here in the states if prices are inflated there.

Handguards should be a given on a sumo.

1.00 AUD = 1.07685 USD :smug::hf::australia: How much do they go for? Are they a bolt-on swap for the standard carb? Or do you need to mod the intakes?

EDIT: Ben Spies' motard is pretty awesome.

http://www.rolandsands.com/wp/2010/12/15/ben-spies-build/

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jul 8, 2011

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I like the Porsche behind it more :D

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

1.00 AUD = 1.07685 USD :smug::hf::australia: How much do they go for? Are they a bolt-on swap for the standard carb? Or do you need to mod the intakes?

EDIT: Ben Spies' motard is pretty awesome.

http://www.rolandsands.com/wp/2010/12/15/ben-spies-build/

They're around $250-300 used on a good deal, ready to swap with all the parts you need. It was the standard carb on the DRZ400E, which was the offroad only model, so there's factory intake boots for them.

They really make the engine more responsive and crisp, as well as adding a nice bit of power. When paired with a pipe they make the bike revy over torquey, but it really wakes the bike up and is a good mod period.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Now that the Gixxer is running nice again, I've been thinking of selling it :v: I haven't really been doing any decent rides lately so the idea of getting a 'tard for hacking around town is getting serious. Looking at DRZs and 640s mostly. Any opinions on these? (Note: I use my bike as my sole transport, so it'll need to start everyday to get to work)

If you're buying a supermoto as your sole transportation, then there really is no other option than the DRZ

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Can't forget about the WRX while Motomind is riding all over Washington. It's surprising how capable that little thing seems to be.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, WRX is definitely in that category as well.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

Yeah, WRX is definitely in that category as well.

KTM 690 SMC is in that catagory as well. :colbert:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If any KTM is, its the 690, but time will tell

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Phat_Albert posted:

If any KTM is, its the 690, but time will tell

There was a 12 month period where I had two forms of transportation: A DRZ and a 690 SMC. I used bikes for everything, commuting, groceries, long trips, weekend fun, track days, all of it. Guess which one I used?

If you said: DRZ, you've never ridden a 690.

The first time you do a 50+ mile trip on the freeway on a DRZ after you have a SM with a 6th gear that can cruise just fine you'll never want to go back, that alone is enough to let the DRZ collect dust.

I love me some DRZs, but the only thing stopping the KTM from being the undeniably better choice 100% of the time is that it's not a good starter bike and it's more expensive.

Supermoto's you could absolutely use everyday include the 690 SMC, Husky 610/630 and DRZs, as well as the Yammie 250's.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I like the KTM but holy gently caress I have a hard time controlling myself on it. Better to take the DRZ, play it safe, and leave the KTM for when I can ride like a hooligan without worrying about things.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

I like the KTM but holy gently caress I have a hard time controlling myself on it. Better to take the DRZ, play it safe, and leave the KTM for when I can ride like a hooligan without worrying about things.

In Santa Barbra, born and raised
On the race track is where I spent, most of my days
Crashin' out, gassin', passin' all cool
And all doin' some burnouts outside of the school
When a couple of cops, saw I was up to no good
Bitched at me for making trouble in the neighborhood
I got one little warning, and my rear end got scared
And said "I'm riding my bike to work because I lost my pair"

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 8, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

In Santa Barbra, born and raised
On the race track is where I spent, most of my days
Crashin' out, gassin', passin' all cool
And all doin' some burnouts outside of the school
When a couple of cops, saw I was up to no good
Bitched at me for making trouble in the neighborhood
I got one little warning, and my rear end got scared
And said "I'm riding my bike to work because I lost my pair"

loving :laffo:

Fair enough, buddy. Fair enough. I'll pull some 2 up wheelies on the KTM this weekend to try and redeem myself.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Spiffness posted:

Supermoto's you could absolutely use everyday include the 690 SMC, Husky 610/630 and DRZs, as well as the Yammie 250's.

I would go a 690 but they're quite expensive (usually going around the $10k mark) and there's never any for sale (the only ones listed at the moment are 12+hrs away). As for the 610, what's the go with this cam chain stretching? Do they just need regular replacing? A manual CCT? Or do they just let go because it feels the valves and piston need to be friends?

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 9, 2011

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
Is the FCR worth it without replacing the pipe the DRZ? I'm trying to not spend to much money on the bike so that I have more to spend on a KTM later, but a bit more power would be awesome.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Nyyen posted:

Is the FCR worth it without replacing the pipe the DRZ? I'm trying to not spend to much money on the bike so that I have more to spend on a KTM later, but a bit more power would be awesome.

You'll need the pipe to be a bit more open than the stock SM pipe in order to see gains. I had a Leo Vance pipe on my DRZ and it was nice and quiet while still giving me a boost from the FCR. Alternatively, you can punch a bit of the baffle out of the stock pipe.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nyyen posted:

I ran an FCR on a stock exhaust bike, it made it really strong through the midrange but the bike didn't breathe too well at the top end. If you can dig up an E model exhaust that keeps it pretty quiet but lets it breathe better.

Keep the stock stuff around so you can swap it back before you sell the bike and sell the parts independently.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Well gents I ended up with a DRZ. All kinds of new parts on the way. Here's to some wheelies and an eventual 690!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Looks awesome, enjoy :D

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OEGTQXEEjE
Those frenchies can slide.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I switched out my half falling off oem tail light for LED edge rear and LED blinkers. Looks great...

Only thing is, since I don't have an LED flasher unit it makes my lights blink really fast.

I actually prefer this as it seems like it'd get peoples attention better. Is this going to break stuff?

I guess when I replace the front light/blinkers I can get the correct flasher unit at that point.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx

Z3n posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OEGTQXEEjE
Those frenchies can slide.

Every time I see a race video I am surprised at how large the fields are. There are a ton of people on the track at once.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Yeah I'm always amazed that they don't all crash into one another. A lot of the time they get clooosse.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Like this? (It should start at the right time. If not, 37:10 ish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV7OfwT9ROY&t=2228s

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gnaghi posted:

Yeah I'm always amazed that they don't all crash into one another. A lot of the time they get clooosse.

I'm 2 for 3 on the serious collision with another rider per race day scale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w79a4M_-lN0

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is there even any penalty for contact if it doesn't cause a crash? Just by its half-dirtbike nature it seems like it would be kind of a grey area.

Edit: ^^It's been way too long since I laughed at the supermoto scooter guy.

Gnaghi fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 10, 2011

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So are you healthy and racing again? Let me know when the next race is, I still wanna get some video of dudes backing it in.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx

Slim Pickens posted:

So are you healthy and racing again? Let me know when the next race is, I still wanna get some video of dudes backing it in.

Supermoto USA round 3 is at pgp aug 9-11 i think. I know its there early august but not sure exact dates. Would be a fun meetup to do.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Slim Pickens posted:

Racing... no, but I should be walking again in 2-3 weeks.

Yautja
Aug 16, 2010
you bastards going on about 690s.. i've kept myself away from that temptation for 3 loving years since they were released, and still held onto the DRZ to keep the pocket not empty.

Every time i own a KTM i can't resist modding the hell out of it then selling it and buying another to start the process over. Im pretty sure thats the definition of insanity!

But on the other hand, something keeps me from modding the DRZ since i know its a cheap solid motorcycle that just works, nothing too exciting, but i think for dollar per smiles value, its way up there.

I actually used to have the MRD/SSW exhaust on it and went back to the stock S and loving the stealth :)

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Stealth is really the way to go with non-track supermotos. When you're busting wheelies in a neighbor hood and looking for curbs to launch off of, being inconspicuous is key.

In SuperMoto: Quiet pipes save arrest record

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

http://www.newson6.com/story/15059775/heat-buckled-highway-blamed-for-pawnee-county-crash

Why couldn't that have happened to me while I was on the 690 :(

Yautja posted:

you bastards going on about 690s.. i've kept myself away from that temptation for 3 loving years since they were released, and still held onto the DRZ to keep the pocket not empty.

Every time i own a KTM i can't resist modding the hell out of it then selling it and buying another to start the process over. Im pretty sure thats the definition of insanity!

I have the opposite problem: I buy lovely bikes and mod them until they're awesome and then sell/part them out. My KTM is stock and I love it that way.

Gom Jabbar
Oct 3, 2005
The high-handed enemy

Z3n posted:

http://www.newson6.com/story/15059775/heat-buckled-highway-blamed-for-pawnee-county-crash

Why couldn't that have happened to me while I was on the 690 :(

I wonder how fast he was going to clear 150 feet. It would make my commute on the DRZ more enjoyable compared to the mostly straight roads I have to ride on.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Gom Jabbar posted:

I wonder how fast he was going to clear 150 feet. It would make my commute on the DRZ more enjoyable compared to the mostly straight roads I have to ride on.

Funny, z3n and I had a lengthy discussion about this yesterday. We came up with the idea that moving about 70 miles an hour, he would have hit the ramp and traveled up approximately 2 feet, leaving the falling distance at roughly 4 feet.

Figure that the upward momentum followed by the fall took about 1.5-2 seconds @ 88 feet/sec traveling at 60MPH. So somewhere between 60-80MPH sounds about right for 150 feet given the assumption that he had 1.5-2 seconds of air time.

:science:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Screw highway bumps. There are railroad crossings here in town that are basically launch ramps to space provided no traffic is around. It's ludicrous.

Reminds me of one of my favorite DRZ vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYu7DQn5vAI

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

JP Money posted:

Screw highway bumps. There are railroad crossings here in town that are basically launch ramps to space provided no traffic is around. It's ludicrous.

Reminds me of one of my favorite DRZ vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYu7DQn5vAI

A link to that video should be the first part of any written text about supermotos on the internet.

toolshed
Sep 1, 2001

Phat_Albert posted:

A link to that video should be the first part of any written text about supermotos on the internet.

Just in case anyone is wondering (because this has driven me crazy for ages) I finally found the intersection this is filmed in:

Broderick & Pacific

I can't even express how much time I've wasted, both on my bike and on google maps, looking for this spot. Two minutes ago, I watched the video for the millionth time, and with a "eh, why not?", loaded up my topo map and then went and plopped the little street view guy right down on that intersection.

Now, who wants to meet up there this weekend? :coal:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Without even clicking the link, I feel quite sure I can just say "Hahaha, dude are you loving serious."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009
Just put a fresh pair of distanzias on the DRZ :20bux:

Should I be wary of them before I start flogging it again? I have heard so many mixed messages concerning the break in of tires. Are they likely to provide compromised traction in the initial phase of wear?

I dig the look, either way.

• Locked thread