Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Most of the riders I share philosophies with ride cruisers are are 20 years older than me. The oldest is a 61 year old guy with a tourer and a CBR1000RR :q:

One day, I hope to be him :fsmug:

nsaP fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jul 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

12 Stebel Nautilii, some relays, resistors and a MIDI controller. Rotary knob selects tune according to which message you want to send. Lane splitting while playing Flight of the Bumblebee at 120 dB is my new goal in life.

Marv Hushman posted:

On the other side of those rattling windows, it isn't Ward Cleaver looking up quizzically from his morning paper. It's somebody putting his fist through a wall, yelling at a kid, running downstairs in boxers to make sure the Taurus isn't getting boosted, etc. What chain of events have you just set in motion in the name of gaining 7 largely imaginary horsepower and prolonging the life of a self-centered human being? In some quarters, dogs are shot for less.

(kowtows) These are the most brilliant comments I've read on SA, possibly the Internet, in years.

Most stupid poo poo I've heard has been covered here but I will throw "total ignorance of motorcycle maintenance" into the heap. One of my sister's ex-boyfriends, who rode a Sportster something-or-other, couldn't have changed his own oil if the drain plug fell out. That would have been fine if he brought the bike into a shop at regular intervals, but he didn't have the money to do so. Instead he just... rode it. I get a phone call one afternoon; he is stuck in the parking lot of a local cinema. Bike won't throttle up. I head over and take a look, turns out he left gas sitting in the bike over the winter for the past 3 years and the varnish caught up with him. Also, his tires were both totally bald, well past the wear bars, and he was running 10 psi on the front and like 16 on the rear :psyboom:.

This was a kid who loved doing 80-90 MPH in the passing lane, skullcap and t-shirt. I have no idea how he's still alive. Thankfully when we couldn't fix the gas issue, he was forced to take it to a shop, which refused to return the bike until it could pass a state safety inspection. $1700 later...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

stizu posted:

Even though he has had the harley for over a year and has said that I can ride it any time I want, I have yet to take him up on it. To be honest, I don't really have any desire to do so, but I should just to have the experience.

Harleys are actually really well balanced and nice to ride in stock form. I ride my dads occasionally and am always pleasantly surprised.

The big difference between the sportbike world and the cruiser (moreover harley) world is that in the sportbike world squids are mostly vilified, whereas in the harley world, the no gear,lpsl, obnoxious bike, seems to be the level everyone looks up to. I realize thats a sweeping generalization, but the two are just viewed differently within their respective groups by a large majority, and by the general public.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Phat_Albert posted:

The big difference between the sportbike world and the cruiser (moreover harley) world is that in the sportbike world squids are mostly vilified, whereas in the harley world, the no gear,lpsl, obnoxious bike, seems to be the level everyone looks up to. I realize thats a sweeping generalization, but the two are just viewed differently within their respective groups by a large majority, and by the general public.

Thinking about this some more: Sportbike guys go really fast; that's the thing. You wipe it wearing nothing at 140, you're fried chicken.

Cruiser guys are out at 30mph on a not-breezy Sunday. They lay 'er down at 25mph into some dirt, and the leather chaps leave awesome scars they can tell their buddies about.

Risk-vs-reward seems to make the cruisers select for idiocy. I still thank no-gear squids for keeping my insurance rates down.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Z3n posted:

They're like 2 sides of an amazing coin. Either way it lands, you win. :allears:

Hmmm...what would such a coin look like....diddloo...diddloo...diddloo...diddloo...

Nice execution, but taking up 3/4 of the coin might be construed as symbolic of American hegemony and resource consumption. Next...

Religion is always nice, but not when it's sponsored by a motorcycle company. Besides, neither one of them qualifies for sainthood. Next...

Hmm...good starting point. Get me a mock-up that completely rips it off. Rock stars do it with classic bebop albums all the time to promote the illusion of seriousness and musical ability...

There, that's got it. Now farm it out to someone with actual talent and get it done up properly...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dang, that's some good stuff...

It's downright... Marv-Olas! :v:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

KozmoNaut posted:

:golfclap:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
This is why I love this forum so much. Sure, the motorcycle chat is great...but so is everything else that comes with it. Never change, CA :allears:

I too enjoy a nice cruise on my buddys Harley when the mood strikes...but last time I rode it it tried to light me on fire for the blasphemy of wearing full leathers. I will do it right next time, I promise!

Z3n fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 10, 2011

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

I'd throw this poo poo in the quote thread if it required a little less backstory.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

gently caress all of you Team Ola people, Team Marv is the only proper choice.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

sirbeefalot posted:

I'd throw this poo poo in the quote thread if it required a little less backstory.

I think a new inside joke is born here every 48 hours, which is why I have no idea what a "baglbeabs" is...

Also:

Fellow Harley riders: know that the parts counter people don't know their arse from a hole in the ground when it comes to correct brake fluid types for a given year/model, even when equipped with a computer and parts database. It isn't entirely their fault--the MoCo has swapped back and forth between 5 and 4 in recent years. The ultimate authority will be your reservoir cover, where it will be plainly written. This goes beyond inconvenience when they sell you the wrong stuff, and they happily will, to the point of disagreeing with you over the correct spec. The issue is that mixing 5 with anything else will promptly turn your brake system into a silicone booger factory. By most accounts, the only solution is to dismantle the entire system and start over, because it doesn't flush.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You mean baglbeabs*.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Marv Hushman posted:

I have no idea what a "baglbeabs" is...

baglbeabs* is the Joker to Ola's Dark Knight.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ReelBigLizard posted:

It seems that perhaps the elusive baglbeabs* has moved his nefarious operations to Copenhagen under a new alias:

(I have no loving idea what it's supposed to say)

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

ReelBigLizard posted:

We all have our personal demons and arch enemies, but their names rarely contain a special character. This must be one...special character.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

KozmoNaut posted:

It seems that perhaps the elusive baglbeabs* has moved his nefarious operations to Copenhagen under a new alias:

(I have no loving idea what it's supposed to say)

No, that's baglbeabs*'s sidekick, WeR*SR6*YR!, keep up old chap.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ReelBigLizard posted:

No, that's baglbeabs*'s sidekick, WeR*SR6*YR!, keep up old chap.

The Yamaha SR6 has a posse.

Also, not quite overheard, but more seen...I was down at the beach yesterday and this guy on a hugely raked out, loud as gently caress Harley pulled a multigear wheelie on it. Which was...impressive, if really stupid, as he nearly wadded it into a car in the process. :bravo:

Z3n fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 11, 2011

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?
I saw a girl on an old Ninja 250 wearing yoga pants and pumps. I have seen her 3 times now and judging from her riding she is a brand new rider. Do I say something to her or do I just hope I never see her crash?

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift
I sent a link to someone selling a Slipknot helmet on CL to a buddy sort of as a joke because he used to be big into them. He responded saying that it was cool, but he can't wear a full face helmet, as he's a Harley rider and has a reputation to uphold. I know he only said it out loud as somewhat tongue-in-cheek because I'm always giving him poo poo about it, but it's clear that he actually believes that.

He also spent $9k on his first bike - a Harley, obviously - and has turned me down for every bike trip I've invited him on. I went on a short ride with him once and let him lead. I kept freaking out thinking my bike died because I couldn't hear a goddamn thing over his pipes. On the bright side, he did take the MSF course.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Was at a tattoo convention a few weeks ago in town, came across one of the guys we went through MSF with. A fat Mexican guy who had never had a bike before, went out and dropped 17k on a Harley, bought a Harley kaiser helmet, a Harley vest, some Harley boots, a Harley belt and Harley gloves. Wore only Harley t-shirts to the MSF (at least he took it right?) was scared to go over 10 mph during the MSF and the instructor kept yelling at him to go faster. Well he was in a chair getting a... yeah you knew what was coming... a big rear end Harley tattoo on his arm.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

SaucyPants posted:

I saw a girl on an old Ninja 250 wearing yoga pants and pumps. I have seen her 3 times now and judging from her riding she is a brand new rider. Do I say something to her or do I just hope I never see her crash?

Say something about getting her out of those yoga pants.

and into some real protective gear

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

sirbeefalot posted:

Say something about getting her out of those yoga pants.

and into some real protective gear

*pulls out condom that's been in his wallet since the Clinton administration*

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

frozenphil posted:

*pulls out condom that's been in his wallet since the Clinton administration*

Is this something you had experience with recently :v:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Pffft, like I wear condoms. What am I, a fag?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

aventari posted:

I agree with this within reason. Mufflers are mandatory, but a Akropovich on a 600 and a throttle blip will get some needed attention.

I also ride around with the high beam on all day long.

That's how I operate my gutted can. Mostly because I am too stupid to hit the horn without failing and turning on the blinker instead, most of the time.

My high beam stays on too because in the sun the low beam doesn't even look on.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

frozenphil posted:

Pffft, like I wear condoms. What am I, a fag?

All you need to do is pull out. Loud girls save lives, brah.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3405527

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Z3n posted:

Is this something you had experience with recently :v:

If she rode a sumo you could show her how to back it in. :smugbird:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

KARMA! posted:

If she rode a sumo you could show her how to back it in. :smugbird:

I backed it in 2 up with a married girl recently. :v:

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

is this an acceptable situation to lay'er down?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Whatever you do, don't just grab a handful of the front.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

SaucyPants posted:

is this an acceptable situation to lay'er down?

Are you wearing protection?

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Be sure to drag your knee :smug:.

EDIT: gently caress, I think I did this wrong.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
When I was a kid I always thought you needed to blip Harleys to keep them running. As I grew older I just assumed the pipes the stereotypical Harley rider sput on messed up the carbs so they had to grab a handful stopped to keep it running. The day after I completed the MSF I realized it was all a load of poo poo.

Am I slow, or are they children? I'd like to think a bit of both.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
What about poo poo we thought was stupid before we started riding?

Marv told me that he feels safer on a bike rather than a car. I thought he was insane because we're totally exposed, easy to kill, etc.

I've been riding for many years but this is the first year where I'm commuting as much as possible on my motorcycle, often in rush hour traffic. I suddenly realized that I feel more comfortable in rush hour traffic on my bike than in my car. I have more avenues of escape. I can dart around traffic and squeeze around something if I need to. In my car I feel trapped.

Once again, Marv, you were right. Unfortunately I will still wear my SPACE RANGER armored poo poo to work.

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?
When I was getting my bike license, I took some lessons with an instructor who came pretty highly recommended. He kept giving me poo poo about how unsafe it was to be riding a black bike with black gear and a black helmet on, that people wouldn't see me and whatever. So, after getting my license and waiting a year until I could move up to a bigger bike, I bought a bright orange Street Triple R. Second time I'd ridden it some idiot woman in a hatchback tried to merge into me, and then acted like she hadn't seen me.

So last month I bought a bright yellow and red RS125, and literally the first time I took it out on the road a car pulled out from a side street in front of me and gave the stupid "oh, I didn't see you there" apology wave as I jammed the brakes on.

Pretty sure people in cars just don't see things and bike/gear colour has nothing to do with it. Plus, the instructor wore fingerless gloves, so what the hell does he know about gear, anyway?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Anyone remember the local bike forum, assfaultjunkies, who didn't respond to well to me telling them to maybe not ride like assholes?

Well one of their own did the same in a thread. There's plenty of laughs to go around as the handbags come out and the weak namecalling starts: http://www.assfaultjunkies.com/showthread.php?13464-To-the-guys-on-the-silver-yammie-and-orange-kawi-on-75-sunday

Here's a little taste:

dark6;324102 posted:

How bout you guys try not acting like toolbags on the highway...Oh guess you dont remember cutting off the silver grand cherokee after the race at mid-o on I75 and I was doing 80!. But you did look really cool with your AFJ t-shirt, gloves, and helmet. Hmm still don't remember? Well I know you will remember the 2009 ZO6 that spanked your rear end as you speed up and got on his rear end to race him, you never thought a 3100lb car would put a hurtin on you....

Put some gear on if you are going to fag it up on the highway( or just dont fag it up) and take off our shirt, and you wonder why cops pick on the AFJ...retards, I will say you looked so cool though.

Shenanigans;324105 posted:

BWAHAHAHAH that was JRicks and BigShizzle!

dark6;324106 posted:

I want to punch them for cutting me off!

jricks31;324111 posted:

Wow....I guess you NEVER had a little fun on the highway before have you? And yeah I did squid it. Yes I did get spanked by the vette, I knew that was coming. If you want to call me a fag, do so when your looking at my face. Not my screen name over the internet. I'm gonna make this short and sweet, you can call me and Shizzle out for squiding, that cool. But if your gonna call me a fag and run your mouth, be a loving man and do it face to face, not like some pussy cyber bully. I've see you a few times before, you seem like a decent dude, not sure why your coming off like an rear end in a top hat now but whatever.

Then they work it out with a "haha seriously tho if you're going to ride like an rear end in a top hat take off the AFJ stuff". Tools.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 12, 2011

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

Mcqueen posted:

When I was a kid I always thought you needed to blip Harleys to keep them running. As I grew older I just assumed the pipes the stereotypical Harley rider sput on messed up the carbs so they had to grab a handful stopped to keep it running. The day after I completed the MSF I realized it was all a load of poo poo.

Am I slow, or are they children? I'd like to think a bit of both.

I had a ZX-7R that had an awful jet kit put in. I pretty much mastered carbs trying to figure out how to get that bike to run right. Anyways to keep it running you had to always rev it above 5000rpm. It was fun riding my new bike without any engine braking and revving it like a tool at stop lights. First bike I had that I spent more time fixing than riding.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I've honestly felt let squiding it up a lot recently. My perf leather and leather lined cortechs are fine if I'm going 30+, but once I slow down or stop somewhere I start sweating like crazy. It heat itself doesn't really kill me, it's that I can't really go anywhere cause I'll get there red-faced and looking like I just finished jogging. I went to get a haircut the other day and the lady was literally giving me water and sponging my face. Then I see every other rider in shorts and shirts and think how much better they must be feeling.
:sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Gnaghi posted:

Then I see every other rider in shorts and shirts and think how much better they must be feeling.
:sigh:

Don't be so sure -
http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/IronButt_1002_62-66_Hot.pdf

Granted, this was written with long distance riding in mind, but the physics of cooking yourself still apply.

• Locked thread