Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.
Brutal Doom is hilariously fun in Skulltag coop. It sucks when you die and respawn at the beginning of a sprawling level, but that's just an issue with 90's wads. Does Skulltag support checkpoint spawns for map makers like Sven Coop did?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I'm thinking of setting up a QuakeWorld server for goons, since it's most likely not very bandwidth-intensive. Any maps or mods that I should throw in?

(I'm tempted to put Killer Quake Pack on, but that's kind of hilariously broken, so I won't do it without goon approval.)

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

You might surprise yourself.

Zenith Nadir posted:

Motherfucker, with the Brutal Doom wad my weapons are my paintbrush and demon guts are my palette. This is the coolest beans since the first time I played AEoD. Best of all, it makes the default pistol actually worth using after you find a chaingun. I love it!! Is it supposed to kill my ingame music though or am I missing something? (edit: i figured out what was wrong with the sound, nevermind it's fine now)

Right, that does it. I want to combine these levels, this gore/rebalance wad, and your music because these things separately wreck my poo poo and will def. wreck my poo poo 20x more if combined. What I am saying is, is there a way to get hold of the music in that Youtube in a GZDoom-friendly fashion. This is a request. tia

Last page of this thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3420594&pagenumber=1 I'm going to post a song with lyrics soon I'm making a CD thats almost done. I just got a budget to get CDs made and I wanna include a .wad made specifically for my music I can't make maps but I can do awesome textures and music, if I sent them to you could you make a wad that replaces the textures and junk? I'm trying to get oblige to make me a decently generated episode called Mockery Defeats Posterity.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Cybermage Darklight Awakening. Has anyone mentioned that yet? All I've got is a half remembered fever dream of a big blue fist punching something

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

RentACop posted:

Cybermage Darklight Awakening. Has anyone mentioned that yet? All I've got is a half remembered fever dream of a big blue fist punching something

I brought it up in the classic games thread, still have my CD sitting in a box somewhere.

Also, Call of Doom. :stare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV0-Ik-vyOo&hd=1

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Huh. They seemed to have changed the default automap colors in the newer versions of Zdoom. I managed to change them back to green and white like I'm used to, but the game shows undiscovered parts of the map as well and I would rather turn that off somehow.

Any idea how to do this? There isn't a "transparent" option in the automap colors, so I don't know what else to do.

EDIT: Nevermind. I made this post completely forgetting that I picked up the map computer in the level. There's nothing wrong with my automap :doh:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 10, 2011

ddraigcymraeg
Nov 22, 2003
nought

sniperchance posted:

Brutal Doom is hilariously fun in Skulltag coop. It sucks when you die and respawn at the beginning of a sprawling level, but that's just an issue with 90's wads. Does Skulltag support checkpoint spawns for map makers like Sven Coop did?

There should be a co-op dmflags setting 'spawn where died', that should cover what you need.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Lemon King posted:

I brought it up in the classic games thread, still have my CD sitting in a box somewhere.

Also, Call of Doom. :stare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV0-Ik-vyOo&hd=1

Looks like Real Guns Hardcore. I'm up for playing it coop any time!

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Man, I really wish zDoom would implement the netcode that Skulltag has. It's really getting on my nerves that Skulltag is based on such an old version and refuses to implement any of the significant changes in the code.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's less that they refuse to, more that they aren't allowed to. Their fault really, they could be completely open source if they wanted but they're not confident enough with the security of their netcode.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

SwissCM posted:

It's less that they refuse to, more that they aren't allowed to. Their fault really, they could be completely open source if they wanted but they're not confident enough with the security of their netcode.

They released the source to one version of Skulltag but good luck finding it since every link to it is broken.

They're slowly porting features from zDoom into the Skulltag alphas but it seems like even the most minor ones have to be scrutinized and debated over. I mean, the expanded A_SeekerMissile functionality is something like 6 lines of code!

Vita
Nov 7, 2009
How do I use 10x.wad and brutaldoom.pk3 with Skulltag co-op? I can host a server just fine, with IWAD DOOM.wad and additional wads/files set as 10x and brutal doom, but it doesn't seem to be working.
edit: nevermind, had to use the latest SVN revisions of Skulltag but 10x and Brutal Doom work great, even if 10x makes the last level of Knee Deep unfinishable.

Vita fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jul 10, 2011

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Vita posted:

How do I use 10x.wad and brutaldoom.pk3 with Skulltag co-op? I can host a server just fine, with IWAD DOOM.wad and additional wads/files set as 10x and brutal doom, but it doesn't seem to be working.

In what way is it not working? What is it doing? Any error messages?

Just marathoned No Rest for the Living, absolutely great set of levels. Most fun I've had with Doom in a while.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Is there a way to get Steam to track my playtime with Doom or Doom 2 without having to play the basic .exe files? I want to use the launcher from this (or the last) thread, but I feel I might have to add it as a "non-steam" game, in which case I don't think it'll track my time. Ideas?

Also, I think it would be cool if I could find a list of goals for Doom (like achievements); sort of a "Doom 101". "Complete E1M5 (or whatever) with a pistol start." Beginner, intermediate, and advanced goals.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Chinook posted:

Also, I think it would be cool if I could find a list of goals for Doom (like achievements); sort of a "Doom 101". "Complete E1M5 (or whatever) with a pistol start." Beginner, intermediate, and advanced goals.

Use the acheivements from the Xbox 360 Arcade version~!

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/doom/achievements/
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/doom-ii/achievements/

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I already did those, haha. :) I mean a list of PC goals, using a certain mod perhaps, or a given famous fan-made map, and so on. I know it doesn't exist, but I wonder what it might consist of. I bet a lot of players would have a few 'achievements' that they are proud of. It'd be fun to see if I had any chance of repeating some of those.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Chinook posted:

Is there a way to get Steam to track my playtime with Doom or Doom 2 without having to play the basic .exe files?

Don't think so. I believe that even if you use the Steam-standard versions it won't track your time. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1282769

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

a̸ ̕s̡cŗeam͟i͠ng͞ ͘sk͏u̢l̨l i̡s y͝o͡ųr o͡n͟l͞y ͢comp̛ani̡o͞n͝

Quirk posted:

Last page of this thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3420594&pagenumber=1 I'm going to post a song with lyrics soon I'm making a CD thats almost done. I just got a budget to get CDs made and I wanna include a .wad made specifically for my music I can't make maps but I can do awesome textures and music, if I sent them to you could you make a wad that replaces the textures and junk? I'm trying to get oblige to make me a decently generated episode called Mockery Defeats Posterity.

Thanks for the links for those mp3s, but I just meant I wanted the music files. I don't actually have any talent but I know what I like.

I'll see if I can't make a file to auto-play these under GZDoom anyway (I hope that's OK with you). If not, it'll have to be ingame sound off + Foobar.

update: I got it working ingame with Brutal Doom + NRFTL, that was some of the best Doom I've had in a while. I recommend it. If anyone else wants to do what I did all you need to do is put the mp3s in a zip file inside a /music folder, rename it to a pk3 (optional) and load it up in GZDoom or Skulltag or whatever

sharts fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 10, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Man, I had forgotten how much unfun bullshit there is in the Q2 expansion packs. Getting to play around with the Phalanx Gun is not worth this.

What do I need to try out Brutal Doom? Doom + Brutal Doom pk3 + gzDoom?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Holy poo poo I had no idea about Brutal Doom until this thread, by god it's a lot of fun. Seeing all my old Doom monster friends eviscerated in such over the top ways followed with a smug gently caress YOURSELF is unbelievably satisfying.

Shame it doesn't want to play ball with 10x Doom, I wanted to gib hordes of the fuckers.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

Man, I had forgotten how much unfun bullshit there is in the Q2 expansion packs. Getting to play around with the Phalanx Gun is not worth this.
You're talking about the reskinned Gladiators and Tanks with shields so strong that they take several BFG blasts to kill, and are only difficult in the sense that they chew up all your loving ammunition right? Because yeah, those guys suck and are why I always remember why I don't replay The Reckoning pack more often. Ground Zero isn't as bad since at least all the new enemies look cool, but those loving turrets are almost as bad.

...now talking about those add-on packs has made me sad though since we'll never receive anything like them again, just DLC that only has about a quarter of the cool stuff.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Songbearer posted:

Holy poo poo I had no idea about Brutal Doom until this thread, by god it's a lot of fun. Seeing all my old Doom monster friends eviscerated in such over the top ways followed with a smug gently caress YOURSELF is unbelievably satisfying.

Shame it doesn't want to play ball with 10x Doom, I wanted to gib hordes of the fuckers.

I haven't had any trouble using it with 10x. You might shift around your load order.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

tooooooo bad posted:

I haven't had any trouble using it with 10x. You might shift around your load order.

The enemies leave blood effects and the hit effects are the same, but all the cool kill animations (Headshots, guts leaking out etc) are replaced with the default animations. I'll keep playing around with it, this could be my next stressbuster game.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Jblade posted:

You're talking about the reskinned Gladiators and Tanks with shields so strong that they take several BFG blasts to kill, and are only difficult in the sense that they chew up all your loving ammunition right? Because yeah, those guys suck and are why I always remember why I don't replay The Reckoning pack more often. Ground Zero isn't as bad since at least all the new enemies look cool, but those loving turrets are almost as bad.

Pretty much. I think I had a lot more patience for this poo poo back when I was playing Q2 for the first time (my first FPS, in fact).

quote:

...now talking about those add-on packs has made me sad though since we'll never receive anything like them again, just DLC that only has about a quarter of the cool stuff.

You know what I really miss? All the crazy weapons. Quake 4 is the last FPS I remember playing with ridiculous over the top weapons. Even Singularity mostly just had generic bulletary weapons.

I miss the railgun and BFG from Q2, and the spreadfire and fusion cannons from Descent, and the snarks and shockroach and acid spitting shoulder fish from Half-Life and Op4, and the Devastator and shrink beam from Duke3d, and the plasma rifle from System Shock...

Hell, even interesting weapons seem to be thin on the ground these days. Duke3d had "mundane" weapons that could still be used in interesting ways, like the pipebombs and laser tripmines, but these days everything just seems to be "you point it at the enemy and damage comes out" with minor variations on accuracy and rate of fire.

gently caress, now I need a cane and a lawn and some drat kids to yell at.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Songbearer posted:

The enemies leave blood effects and the hit effects are the same, but all the cool kill animations (Headshots, guts leaking out etc) are replaced with the default animations. I'll keep playing around with it, this could be my next stressbuster game.

Oh you're right, I hadn't even noticed. 10x.wad itself isn't terribly complicated but I'm not anywhere near confident enough in my knowledge of this stuff to try and merge its actor spawn code into Brutal Doom.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Is 10x supposed to make it so imp fireballs pass right through imps in their way? That's kind of annoying.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

fishmech posted:

Is 10x supposed to make it so imp fireballs pass right through imps in their way? That's kind of annoying.
Yeah, it reduces clipping and hit detection, so you can even run straight through the extra monsters. Plus they can now climb stairs and jump off ledges to pursue you. Also, they're immune to crushing ceilings.

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

You might surprise yourself.
How hard is it to make a texture replacement wad? I've never modded Doom before and I want to re-imagine the textures in a way that can be applied to any wad.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
What happens if you load up Brutal Doom with Heretic? Does it work at all?

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Nah it just gets a script error and dies.

Shooting Monsters With Guns works in Heretic though.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Chinook posted:

I already did those, haha. :) I mean a list of PC goals, using a certain mod perhaps, or a given famous fan-made map, and so on. I know it doesn't exist, but I wonder what it might consist of. I bet a lot of players would have a few 'achievements' that they are proud of. It'd be fun to see if I had any chance of repeating some of those.

It's not exactly the same, but you could make some up on achiev.es and share them in this thread.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

Hell, even interesting weapons seem to be thin on the ground these days. Duke3d had "mundane" weapons that could still be used in interesting ways, like the pipebombs and laser tripmines, but these days everything just seems to be "you point it at the enemy and damage comes out" with minor variations on accuracy and rate of fire.
That's a good point, I miss having BFG-style guns in games. Nowadays the closest equivilent is probably a rocket-launcher with about 2 rockets for it. That's another problem with the loadout system that every game has nowadays though; every gun has to be balanced so that there's no clear advantage. That's fine in theory, but part of the fun of having the awesome guns just floating in air in the level was that it also figured into the flow of the level. It gave DM levels some more depth beyond just beating your opponents since it was just as much about area denial as it was pure skill.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I've been playing airquake and horrorquake with friends recently, but one thing bugs me.

The font of the menus and hud in Darkplaces is a gritty, washed out mess, and I can't find a way to edit it through options, documentation or google. I'd like to be able to change the colors and textures, and maybe even the font. It's incredibly difficult to read.

Any help with this?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Quirk posted:

How hard is it to make a texture replacement wad? I've never modded Doom before and I want to re-imagine the textures in a way that can be applied to any wad.

Don't see how it could be hard. Just make your textures, put them in your own wad and make sure they have the same name as the texture they are replacing, load it up and voila. At least in theory.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
So I'm showing appreciation for the classics but I have a screen warping/fisheye problem and changing the FOV or aspect ratio does not seem to solve it. I am playing ultimate doom and using zdoom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZIwaweAdsA

It's very disorienting and makes this game not enjoyable, please help.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cubemario posted:

So I'm showing appreciation for the classics but I have a screen warping/fisheye problem and changing the FOV or aspect ratio does not seem to solve it. I am playing ultimate doom and using zdoom.

Doom wasn't designed for you to look up/down, the core rendering engine can only handle it through hacks. Some source ports completely rewrite it to have proper looking tho.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cubemario posted:

That's just what happens with vertical mouse movement in a 2.5D engine. if it bothers you that much, turn off vertical movement or play in like Doomsday or some source port that has a proper 3D engine.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Thanks for the lightning fast responses! I'll try and get used to it then - but do source ports work with mods? Anything I should know about them?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Any source port can play level .wad files that are compatible with the base Doom game, I think. Many mods are made specifically for certain source ports, though, and ZDoom does seem to be the most popular source port to mod for.

In any case, in the idgames level archive, they should say which source port any given level was made for (anything Doom or Boom-compatible should be fine with any source port, except, like, Chocolate Doom or something)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Cubemario posted:

Use GZdoom and enable the OpenGL render. It renders levels in 3D and fixes that perspective problem. Or you can really go classic like I do and disable the Y-axis altogether :v: