Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

spixxor posted:

I'm re-reading Deathly Hallows right now and something is bugging me.

Why the hell does Voldemort fly everywhere? He could have caught Harry like 6 fuckin' times if he would just apparate, did I miss something somewhere that explains why he feels the need to fly instead? To be spooky, or what?

It's to be spooky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Paragon8 posted:

It's to be spooky.

He would need to know exactly where he was and he could not break certain protection spells.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

spixxor posted:

did I miss something somewhere that explains why he feels the need to fly instead? To be spooky, or what?

I'd like to think that's his reasoning.

"I gotta be a goddamn Scooby-Doo villian!"

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Paragon8 posted:

It's to be spooky.

*The Monarch voice* It's like villain 101!

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

ImpAtom posted:

It's a comic book series but it got really, really, really bad beyond a certain point. It started out as a kind of "Fantasy characters living in New York" thing and eventually descended into this total mess that went on long beyond when it should have ended.

Is Fables the one where the Big Bad Wolf is a good guy detective and the first comic involves a murder mystery? If so, that poo poo was mad good and I had wanted to read more but never got around to it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Epi Lepi posted:

Is Fables the one where the Big Bad Wolf is a good guy detective and the first comic involves a murder mystery? If so, that poo poo was mad good and I had wanted to read more but never got around to it.

Yes and then there is this

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

Yeah, that's the one. The big bad wolf goes from being a detective to being a minor godling superbeing who is the best at everything and all the characters fawn over him while he spouts the author's viewpoints. It's pretty bad.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

bobkatt013 posted:

Wow, that is just absolutely terrible. Are there any other good issues after the first before this poo poo kicks in?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Epi Lepi posted:

Wow, that is just absolutely terrible. Are there any other good issues after the first before this poo poo kicks in?

Its pretty good up to that point and then after he beats the Adversary it all goes downhill.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
I don't know the harry potter world seems so innocent where the worst spell ever is just a painless killing spell. I'm pretty sure muggles with guns would wipe the floor with a wizard in a quick draw battle however the whole point is that would never happen because wizards don't need to fight wars to enslave the entire world all they need to do is mind control all the prime ministers / presidents and have them do what ever they want with their armies for them. Which is why each of those leaders probably have wizards defending them. They are two separate world you solve wizard problems with wizards and muggle problems with muggles.

Also the excuses that wizards can teleport dose not really hold water in a gun battle since they couldn't even dodge a knife that killed dobby let alone a bullet and if their shield charms worked so great the probably would never be jinxed either.

bobkatt013 posted:

He would need to know exactly where he was and he could not break certain protection spells.

I believe he was flying until he got close enough to apperiate. The way they described it was the further you had to go the more dangerous it is to do it and voldemort feared death more then anything so I'm sure he wouldn't do it across two countries if he knew there was even a 1% chance of it going wrong. He also probably believed that Harry was just lucky and he would eventually get him no rush.

Vire fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 7, 2011

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Vire posted:

I believe he was flying until he got close enough to apperiate. The way they described it was the further you had to go the more dangerous it is to do it and voldemort feared death more then anything so I'm sure he wouldn't do it across two countries if he knew there was even a 1% chance of it going wrong. He also probably believed that Harry was just lucky and he would eventually get him no rush.

But hes basically a lich! He can't even die, thats the whole definition of the Horcrux business.

I personally figure teleporting can be detected and warded against. After all, one thing about Hogwarts was the defensive spells that amongst other things, block teleporting.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

Vire posted:

There doesn't seem to be any cooldown to apparition, though, so why didn't he just do it in jumps? Teleport as far as possible then just teleport again and keep hopping along like a Sorceress in Diablo 2.

The answer is either JK didn't think of it or simply a plot device because then Harry would have been caught and killed, which is a bit bad.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

There's the whole thing where Nagani sees the Potter crew in Godrics Hollow but Voldemort doesn't go there instantly but just flits there like a bat.

Of course having a competent villain would just ruin the series as Harry is barely a competent hero.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Voldemort tends to put what little faith he has on Potter's incredible luck running dry. He also trusts his idiot accomplices to finish simple tasks that really are beyond their abilities.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

HelixFox posted:

There doesn't seem to be any cooldown to apparition, though, so why didn't he just do it in jumps? Teleport as far as possible then just teleport again and keep hopping along like a Sorceress in Diablo 2.

The answer is either JK didn't think of it or simply a plot device because then Harry would have been caught and killed, which is a bit bad.

Ah good point. Yeah I have no idea then.

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!

bobkatt013 posted:

Its pretty good up to that point and then after he beats the Adversary it all goes downhill.

What volumes would you reccomend before it does downhill?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

THE HORSES rear end posted:

What volumes would you reccomend before it does downhill?

Up to War and Pieces. However that includes the Israel Analogy, and once aware of his politics its obvious in other things. I say just read Grant Morrison.

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!

bobkatt013 posted:

Up to War and Pieces. However that includes the Israel Analogy, and once aware of his politics its obvious in other things. I say just read Grant Morrison.

Would you say that the series was ruined because of his politics or because it lost whatever qualities made it good up until then. I tedn to not really care about the politics of a work. A pro-Nazi, antisemitic film can still be decent in spite of its message.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Would you say that the series was ruined because of his politics or because it lost whatever qualities made it good up until then. I tedn to not really care about the politics of a work. A pro-Nazi, antisemitic film can still be decent in spite of its message.

Because the main plot was over. It started out as fable town v the adversary. In the trade I mentioned they beat the adversary so they needed a new enemy. However, the author was not able to find a good enemy to use which is amazing since he had all of the public domain to use. The politics is just the topping on the poo poo sandwich fables became.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It loses the qualities that made it good in addition to that. The politics just really start seeping in heavily right about the point it starts losing the 'good parts.'

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bobkatt013 posted:

Wasn't this the same comic where abortion was a plot by witches to get away with sacrificing babies?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Farbtoner posted:

Wasn't this the same comic where abortion was a plot by witches to get away with sacrificing babies?

Yep

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

AlphaDog posted:

Is it ever established how Apparition works? Do you need to have been to a place to apparate to it without a portkey?

They say this in Methods of Rationality but I think that was just a reference to The Witling.

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

AlphaDog posted:

Is it ever established how Apparition works? Do you need to have been to a place to apparate to it without a portkey? If not, then yeah, wizards win as they take out all the opposition leaders in the first 5 minutes (using the first 3 minutes to scry them out, I guess).

In HBP when they're doing their Apparition training, the instructions are to focus on the place they want to go and to desire to be there more than anything or something like that. So I guess that's easier if you know the place you're going, but I guess it is possible to go to a place you don't know if you concentrate really hard (like Dumbledore going to the locket cave in HBP or Harry and Hermione going to Godric's Hollow in the last book, although I suppose Harry has technically been there before).

So I would say most people wouldn't apparate somewhere they hadn't been due to risk of Splinching, but that it is possible if you know enough detail and concentrate hard enough (because the plot requires it)...

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

They apparate to tons of random forest clearings in the last book as well, most of which they presumably haven't been to before (notable exception being the Forest of Dean, which Hermione says she went to with her parents)

Could you apparate into space? I don't see why not.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Why was Crouch Jr. / Moody sympathetic to Neville in Goblet of Fire? Just keeping the act going?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Delicious irony? Being kind to him while knowing that he helped torture his parent into madness? Maybe he was planning to complete the set if everything had gone to plan.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The Machine posted:

Why was Crouch Jr. / Moody sympathetic to Neville in Goblet of Fire? Just keeping the act going?

He gave him the book with the info about Gillyweed and other herbs in it, but Harry never thinks to ask Neville for help. It was all part of his plan to get Harry to the cup first, I'd wager there were more than a few things that could have made the tasks easier.

That was actually one of the nicer parts of that book, in retrospect Crouch was leaving hints and help for Harry everywhere and Harry still nearly completely hosed it up because he never asked for help.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Zore posted:

He gave him the book with the info about Gillyweed and other herbs in it, but Harry never thinks to ask Neville for help. It was all part of his plan to get Harry to the cup first, I'd wager there were more than a few things that could have made the tasks easier.

That was actually one of the nicer parts of that book, in retrospect Crouch was leaving hints and help for Harry everywhere and Harry still nearly completely hosed it up because he never asked for help.

How much difficulty and horror could have been avoided if Harry simply asked an adult for help? The Chamber of Secrets wouldn't have ever become a big deal for instance.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How much difficulty and horror could have been avoided if Harry simply asked an adult for help? The Chamber of Secrets wouldn't have ever become a big deal for instance.

To be fair, he did ask an adult for help in The Chamber of Secrets and that adult tried to brainwash him and leave Ginny for dead.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
On Barty Crouch Jr I never quite got how he was such a scared as poo poo kid in over his head during the trial with the Lestranges in front of his dad and was such a fanatical devoted supporter of Voldemort after that. I mean the Lestranges were completely unrepentant during the trial but Crouch Jr was Dracoing it up on the stand but after he gets outta Azkaban he's so devoted to Voldemort's cause that dad has to keep him under wraps?

Dr I am a Doctor
Mar 3, 2011

by T. Finn

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair, he did ask an adult for help in The Chamber of Secrets and that adult tried to brainwash him and leave Ginny for dead.

But he could ask anybody who wasn't useless and retarded.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

JesusSinfulHands posted:

On Barty Crouch Jr I never quite got how he was such a scared as poo poo kid in over his head during the trial with the Lestranges in front of his dad and was such a fanatical devoted supporter of Voldemort after that. I mean the Lestranges were completely unrepentant during the trial but Crouch Jr was Dracoing it up on the stand but after he gets outta Azkaban he's so devoted to Voldemort's cause that dad has to keep him under wraps?
I think he might've been acting to try to stay out of Azkaban. It worked, too--everyone thought of Crouch as horrible for condemning his son, but look what happened in the end.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Ben Davis posted:

I think he might've been acting to try to stay out of Azkaban. It worked, too--everyone thought of Crouch as horrible for condemning his son, but look what happened in the end.

What's more weird is he also spent almost a full year teaching Harry et al quite a lot of wizarding knowledge, including how to defend against the Imperius curse. All for the greater 'good' of reviving Voldemort.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Dr I am a Doctor posted:

But he could ask anybody who wasn't useless and retarded.

Well, to be fair most of the teachers are either hostile to him, seen as completely useless, airheaded, unlikable, too strict, won't listen or just batshit insane...when they aren't working for Voldemort to begin with. And he has this...thing about the school rules.

He was pretty much down to Lupin and Dumbledore.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

veekie posted:

Well, to be fair most of the teachers are either hostile to him, seen as completely useless, airheaded, unlikable, too strict, won't listen or just batshit insane...when they aren't working for Voldemort to begin with. And he has this...thing about the school rules.

He was pretty much down to Lupin and Dumbledore.

Lupin wasn't around in book 2, but Dumbledore does literally sit Harry down and ask him if there's anything he knows. Harry thinks about the various things he's seen/heard/suspects that would probably clue Dumbledore in enough to figure the whole thing out, but ultimately decides to say nothing.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah the reason they don't go to the adults is because that would make a lovely story. Flitwick, McGonagall and Sprout could probably have sorted most of the problems out with a decent supply of that truth potion and Harry telling them what's up.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

HelixFox posted:

What's more weird is he also spent almost a full year teaching Harry et al quite a lot of wizarding knowledge, including how to defend against the Imperius curse. All for the greater 'good' of reviving Voldemort.

Dumbledore - worst or best headmaster ever.

Hires a dark wizard impersonating his friend.

Dark wizard ends up being one of the best defence against the dark arts teachers in recent hogwarts history.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah the reason they don't go to the adults is because that would make a lovely story. Flitwick, McGonagall and Sprout could probably have sorted most of the problems out with a decent supply of that truth potion and Harry telling them what's up.

Veritaserum is the worst plot device in the whole series in my opinion. Even moreso than the time travel devices.

Think of how many innocent people are imprisoned, wrongly accused or killed throughout the series, and how many guilty/evil people fool everyone and cause trouble. Or how often Harry is branded as a liar because the Ministry or other authorities think he's lying. Barty Crouch Jr. as Mad Eye had a line in the book about how the Ministry had no idea who was really a Death Eater because so many of them claimed they were forced into it by the Imperius Curse... seems like a pretty easy problem to resolve if you can give someone a potion and know with absolute certainty what the truth is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Suprfli6 posted:

Veritaserum is the worst plot device in the whole series in my opinion. Even moreso than the time travel devices.

Think of how many innocent people are imprisoned, wrongly accused or killed throughout the series, and how many guilty/evil people fool everyone and cause trouble. Or how often Harry is branded as a liar because the Ministry or other authorities think he's lying. Barty Crouch Jr. as Mad Eye had a line in the book about how the Ministry had no idea who was really a Death Eater because so many of them claimed they were forced into it by the Imperius Curse... seems like a pretty easy problem to resolve if you can give someone a potion and know with absolute certainty what the truth is.

quote:

Despite being the most powerful truth serum in existence, it can still be resisted through different methods, including the taking its antidote and through Occlumency.[2] For the same reasons Muggles use polygraph tests, Veritaserum is no more reliable than its Muggle counterpart. Since some wizards and witches can resist its effects while others cannot, Veritaserum is "unfair and unreliable to use at a trial" and cannot be used as definite proof of guilt or innocence.
Another weakness is that the victim only states what they believe to be true, so the victim's sanity and perception of reality also factors in during interrogations. This is the main reason why Barty Crouch Jr.'s testimony was not credible, as he was clearly insane.[3]

Well then that doesn't seem so great does it. I personally think Apparition is the worse plot device.

• Locked thread