Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004

Cheekio posted:

Alright, I'm confused. I rooted so I could suck more energy out of my HTC Incredible's unlimited data plan (I'll get my 30 bucks worth a month, assholes!) using tethering and my laptop. But that's it. I don't have some desire to gently caress with roms yet, I just want to more efficiently use my internet.

So... what the gently caress? Wifi tethering seems to have all the documentation, but that requires custom roms. I really don't have the energy to figure out what that entails right now, is there some way to enable USB tethering on a rooted Incredible?

Use PDANet or EasyTether (Amazon). I think VZW has blocked PDANet but I know EasyTether still works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Cheekio posted:

is there some way to enable USB tethering on a rooted Incredible?
Use Wired Tether for USB tethering. WiFi Tether should support a rooted Incredible, I don't think it needs a custom kernel.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
In case anyone else here was looking: AlphaRev have finally released a beta for the Incredible 2.

People on XDA are saying the install program doesn't always work on Windows, so get those Ubuntu CDs handy.

I'm going to wait for a few days, but it looks pretty drat promising from where I am.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
[PYF Awful Themes]

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1146442

He thought it was so cool, he even made a thread to showcase all of the variations of it :smithicide:

george soros irl
Nov 12, 2005

make friends and then buy & sell money always
I just went to the new MIUI for the Evo, and I have to say that this is by far the best ROM I've had by far, and I've tried them all, including MIUI back a few months ago. If you're bored with cyanogen then try out MIUI because it's great now. Definitely now my default ROM.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

bbcisdabomb posted:

In case anyone else here was looking: AlphaRev have finally released a beta for the Incredible 2.

People on XDA are saying the install program doesn't always work on Windows, so get those Ubuntu CDs handy.

I'm going to wait for a few days, but it looks pretty drat promising from where I am.

oh baby oh baby. gently caress I'm out of blank CD's fuuuuuuuck

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

metachronos posted:

oh baby oh baby. gently caress I'm out of blank CD's fuuuuuuuck

Might you be able to use a USB stick?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Use a USB stick. Ubuntu has its own LiveUSB creation tool, or there's one that works with any LiveCD at pendrivelinux.com.

For anyone wanting to use the DInc 2 root, the Windows version was just pulled and you will need to boot into Linux. Use either a LiveCD or Live USB. Don't bother using Virtualbox or anything unless you already have it installed- it'll take twice as long. Trust me :(

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

AppleCobbler posted:

He thought it was so cool, he even made a thread to showcase all of the variations of it :smithicide:
Negativity will not be tolerated here. The next person to post anything less than positive will be banned forever.

XxXhugeCOCxxX23 posted:

donlwdn

10 char

- sent from my BIG GUNS lol

Nokia 9100 !!!
This is more like it.

Thanks,

xda mods

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

tehfox0r posted:

I just went to the new MIUI for the Evo, and I have to say that this is by far the best ROM I've had by far, and I've tried them all, including MIUI back a few months ago. If you're bored with cyanogen then try out MIUI because it's great now. Definitely now my default ROM.

Agreed 100%. The new lockscreen mods are amazing (best lockscreen period).

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Does MIUI on the EVO still have that weird "text is all greyed out" thing on certain apps and stuff? Like in the market it's all light and grey which bothers me.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Alright, the official OTA radio update is out for the Thunderbolt, and I'm planning on flashing a ROM (BAMF Remix 1.8.6) that can take advantage of it. I'm currently running BAMF Remix 1.6.3, and it's stable as gently caress, but I do get the radio reboots and the GPS is kinda lovely.

I know that I have to flash the radio in HBOOT by renaming it, etc. I also know that I can flash the new ROM through Clockwork Recovery, after wiping data, cache, and dalvik cache. My question is a.) is there a guide out there for flashing new ROMs so that I don't gently caress it up b.) Do I flash the ROM or the radio first? I'm assuming the ROM, but I'm not sure.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If I were to switch over and try MIUI from CM7 would I have to wipe the regular cache and data from my phone? Because I don't feel like having to back up all my apps and poo poo before I do it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

TheJoker138 posted:

If I were to switch over and try MIUI from CM7 would I have to wipe the regular cache and data from my phone? Because I don't feel like having to back up all my apps and poo poo before I do it.

Yes, going from CM to MIUI definitely requires a full wipe.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Anyone with an Inspire looking for an AOSP ROM to try, I highly suggest the newest TPGB-Ninja7061. Gingerbeast is a close second but I feel like this one is a little bit snappier and the dev is no longer supporting it. Also if you haven't done the 2nd APN fix, try it - went from 1 mbps max download to 3-5.5mbps.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 10, 2011

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
My only problem with MIUI over Cyanogen on the incredible is the battery life is complete dogshit compared to how it was running with the incredikernel.

I had to go back because of it.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

DigitalMocking posted:

My only problem with MIUI over Cyanogen on the incredible is the battery life is complete dogshit compared to how it was running with the incredikernel.

I had to go back because of it.

I haven't checked but aren't there compatible versions of cm7 and incredikernel?

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I haven't checked but aren't there compatible versions of cm7 and incredikernel?

MIUI and CM7 are both AOSP mods, incredikernel/tiamat/etc should work fine on both.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

SLOSifl posted:

Negativity will not be tolerated here. The next person to post anything less than positive will be banned forever.
This is more like it.
[img=fatguy.jpg]
Thanks,

xda mods

I've gotten verbal warnings and "offending materials" removed from threads on XDA because my criticism of a developer's awful skinning. I've also had posts edited for making fun of people who can't spend 15 minutes doing basic research after I've answered their question in detail. Other threads that I've posted when attempting to examine the shortcomings of android as a platform have been gassed without explanation.

XDA is a cesspool but without it and their terrible admins (TheRomMistress I'm looking at you), we would have no real central repository for information on such a large swathe of devices. As mentioned before, it is a necessary evil.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

For some reason MIUI wouldn't boot with the 6/19 incredikernel so I switched it back to CM7. Its actually the wife's phone now, and she prefers CM over MIUI anyway. I'm just waiting for the CM7 builds to mature a bit for the thunderbolt still.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

LastInLine posted:

Very thorough and detailed explanation on how to set up DarkTremor A2SD

Just a question for you or anybody else out here: Ever played with S2E? Appears to be replacement to DarkTremor.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

Just a question for you or anybody else out here: Ever played with S2E? Appears to be replacement to DarkTremor.
I've heard of this but couldn't find any in-depth information as to how it works like I could with DTa2sd. I mean, I found the thread on it but it seems to raise more questions than it answers.

In the end I found more complete documentation for how DT works and what could go wrong than I could for s2e and I didn't see anything s2e could do that DT couldn't (although I was hoping DT would fix the currently broken "beta 4").

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

tehfox0r posted:

Does everything work? 4G, GPS, Wifi, Sync etc? Any apps force-close for no reason? I'm loving my MikG Sense 3.0 lockscreen, is the MIUI lockscreen better?

george soros irl
Nov 12, 2005

Mark Larson posted:

Does everything work? 4G, GPS, Wifi, Sync etc? Any apps force-close for no reason? I'm loving my MikG Sense 3.0 lockscreen, is the MIUI lockscreen better?

I don't have 4G in my area so I can't speak on that, however everything else works perfectly. I was still having GPS issues on CM7 as well even after the Sense fix, but MIUI gets an instant lock every time and KEEPS IT! for me.

Other than a 30 minute playtime with a Sense 3.0 virus ROM that was a bit buggy for me, I haven't really played with the new HTC lock-screens, however the new MIUI one really is beautiful and a pleasure to use. I'll take a few captures and upload them to my dropbox to share if you're interested.

Battery life is on par with that of CM7 in my experience thus far, I get around 12 hours with pretty heavy usage and around 18 on a work day when I only use it for texts and the occasional call. If you're thinking about it I'd definitely do a backup and flash it just to play with it for a few hours, for just the experience alone if nothing else. :)

Edit: I took a few screenshots!

Home screen: http://db.tt/4hyaprC
http://db.tt/ZIbc2ja
http://db.tt/To66BaH

Lock screen: http://db.tt/BmXuRHX
http://db.tt/gYpUEDe
http://db.tt/8qomyhh

Music! http://db.tt/4u3c0Io

Very pretty and sleek.

george soros irl fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 10, 2011

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
MIUI supports lockscreen theming now so there are plenty of Sense 3.0 knockoffs if that's your thing.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Had my first battery pull on my Thunderbolt with CM7 RC1.2. Went to go wake my phone up and nothing happened. I thought maybe my battery had died since I had left 4G on but when I tried plugging it in, nothing again, no charging light, nothing. Ended up pulling the battery and putting in back in. Phone booted up with 41% battery left.

Not quite sure what caused it and this is the first time it's happened. I'm using MR2 with the stock kernal.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
So after a few hours last night I finally got CM7 on my DInc2 only to find it isn't very stable. I guess I'll try MIUI.

metachronos fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 11, 2011

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

teamdest posted:

MIUI and CM7 are both AOSP mods, incredikernel/tiamat/etc should work fine on both.

Not necessarily. Both are heavily customized AOSP. It might work on both, but no guarantees.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Mark Larson posted:

MIUI doesn't have 4G working on it, and good chance it never will either. Also I am not a big fan of MIUI's launcher because I got to have a app drawer. That said use ADW or LPP it is not a issue at all.

Lockscreen? Here is a thread with some of the mods for the MIUI lockscreen.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1134657

If there is a lockscreen better someone will just make it into a lockscreen mod for MIUI. If you like options MIUI is the way to go.

That said if you can't live without 4G stay away.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

nate fisher posted:

Lockscreen? Here is a thread with some of the mods for the MIUI lockscreen.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1134657

Holy gently caress! MIUI was definitely not this good when I used it last. This is mind boggling awesome.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Holy gently caress! MIUI was definitely not this good when I used it last. This is mind boggling awesome.

Wow that is sick. I was going to ask if they've cloned the Sense 3.0 lockscreen and it's not surprising they have. Very nice.

e: so I guess I'll try MIUI again. I don't recall it easily synchronizing my contacts/apps via my Google account, so what would be the recommended way to transition from CM7? TB?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

air- posted:

Wow that is sick. I was going to ask if they've cloned the Sense 3.0 lockscreen and it's not surprising they have. Very nice.

e: so I guess I'll try MIUI again. I don't recall it easily synchronizing my contacts/apps via my Google account, so what would be the recommended way to transition from CM7? TB?

I never had that issue, but I only been on MIUI for a couple of months. Just make sure all yours contact are backed up to your Google account. Still I think you can use TB also (?).

Only thing I suggest with MIUI is if you hate the iphone like launcher + no app drawer like I did use ADW or LPP, and all is good. Also for some new themes check here:

http://forums.miui.us/forumdisplay.php?56-Development

Edit: The first 2 times I installed MIUI I reflashed back to my previous ROM before the day was up. Just felt off to me because it is so different than any other ROM. The last time I flashed MIUI I told myself to tough it out for a week and truly play with it. Well I never went back after that week. I guess what I am saying it is a ROM that you have to spend time with before truly judging.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 11, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

nate fisher posted:

I never had that issue, but I only been on MIUI for a couple of months. Just make sure all yours contact are backed up to your Google account. Still I think you can use TB also (?).

Only thing I suggest with MIUI is if you hate the iphone like launcher + no app drawer like I did use ADW or LPP, and all is good. Also for some new themes check here:

http://forums.miui.us/forumdisplay.php?56-Development

Edit: The first 2 times I installed MIUI I reflashed back to my previous ROM before the day was up. Just felt off to me because it is so different than any other ROM. The last time I flashed MIUI I told myself to tough it out for a week and truly play with it. Well I never went back after that week. I guess what I am saying it is a ROM that you have to spend time with before truly judging.

Thanks for the little write up. I've often wondered why people liked MIUI so much because I had done exactly like you, installed it then promptly uninstalled it while mumbling something about if you want an iphone buy an iphone. I think I might check out the status of MIUI on the Fascinate and I also know that MIUI is being ported to the Nook Color too. Thanks again.

george soros irl
Nov 12, 2005

Seriously, after using MIUI with its beautiful T9 dialer, in-call screen and lock screen I could never go back to Cyanogen. There's just a certain level of polish that you can't find with market app replacements that MIUI has.

george soros irl fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 11, 2011

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

tehfox0r posted:

Seriously, after using MIUI with it's beautiful T9 dialer, in-call screen and lock screen I could never go back to Cyanogen. There's just a certain level of polish that you can't find with market app replacements that MIUI has.

That's one of the reasons I plan on sticking with sense even once the EVO 3D is rooted. I loved cm7 but it was kinda ugly.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'd love to stick with MIUI on a permanent level but the fact that all the fonts are greyed out on certain things bugs me. A lot of it is tough to see.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Is it still impossible to use Swype with MIUI? I'm also waiting for a version for the Droid X, if that ever happens.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Gyshall posted:

Is it still impossible to use Swype with MIUI? I'm also waiting for a version for the Droid X, if that ever happens.

I am using Swype on my EVO running MIUI.

george soros irl
Nov 12, 2005

nate fisher posted:

I am using Swype on my EVO running MIUI.

I am as well. I installed it from the Swype installer, then restored my settings from Titanium Backup, and viola, Swype :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Is there a way to pull the swype apk from my stock Evo3D so when alternate roms come out for it I could just reinstall swype without dealing with their crazy beta system or :filez:?

Edit: ^^^ would TB work?

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 11, 2011