Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SlyFrog posted:

Inexperienced virgin farm boy

Now now, he's nailed wamprats back home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
And the exhaust port is 2 meters wide?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

gohuskies posted:

And the exhaust port is 2 meters wide?

She's a big girl. Tatooine thick they call it.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What the hell is going on in this thread.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

entris posted:

A good thing.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

entris posted:

goddamn am I horny

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Return dignity to the art of loafing.
If any of you are so kind please help a brother out with some advice.

So I am doing a small piece of research comparing and contrasting the ABA Model Rules of Professional Conduct and the New Zealand Rules of Conduct and Client Care. The focus is to be on what extent both systems approach "zealous advocacy" i.e. to the extent one can put their duty to the client as opposed to the duty to the court.

I would appreciate if any of ya'll could help me out by pointing me in particular directions of interest regarding the Model Rules or evidence of American legal culture when it comes to this point/ anecdotal experiences.

Trying not to be like 'do my homework' but just 'indicate where to look'. My first cracks at searching so far have not been fruitful.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
Most of the really interesting ABA rules are in regards to bear law. You could talk about how the lack of bears in New Zealand caused New Zealand law to develop differently from American law. You could also discuss potential new developments in New Zealand law if bears were introduced there.

Obstacle 1
Jan 10, 2008
Any lawyers/students from Australia here? I'm a 4th year Laws/Commerce (finance) student at the University of Queensland with a pretty crappy GPA (like 4.5) and I'm pretty sure I have zero chance at getting any sort of Grad position. All of this is my own fault due to my laziness, I haven't applied for any summer internships or anything (not that I would be looked at due to my GPA) instead travelling and generally doing nothing over my summers.

What do I need to do/can I do with a below average GPA to get a job out of school? I'm not averse to moving interstate or something like that, and eventually I'd like to be a barrister but obviously need contacts/start up money before that becomes realistically.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Lemonus posted:

So I am doing a small piece of research comparing and contrasting the ABA Model Rules of Professional Conduct and the New Zealand Rules of Conduct and Client Care. The focus is to be on what extent both systems approach "zealous advocacy" i.e. to the extent one can put their duty to the client as opposed to the duty to the court.

I would appreciate if any of ya'll could help me out by pointing me in particular directions of interest regarding the Model Rules or evidence of American legal culture when it comes to this point/ anecdotal experiences.

Trying not to be like 'do my homework' but just 'indicate where to look'. My first cracks at searching so far have not been fruitful.

Honestly, that's a pretty wicked avatar/post combo. I don't think it'd be as hard as you profess it is to find what you're looking for. As to '[indicating] where to look,' Google isn't a bad place to start. The ABA's site (and quite possibly other state bar association sites) should have the Model Rules available.

tau fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 11, 2011

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Lemonus posted:

American lawyers have a duty to the court?

You're probably already aware, but the comments on the Model Rules of Professional Conduct are a good first stop. After that I'd try Google Scholar (both for case law and for academic articles).

edit: beaten by tau, so you should assume that this is good advice.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 11, 2011

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

Ersatz posted:

American lawyers have a duty to the court?
As an American lawyer, you really should know this.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

srsly posted:

As an American lawyer, you really should know this.

Note that I linked to the comment on Rule 3.3. I guess humor isn't your thing.

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

Nah clicking on random links, the particular content of which is not apparent from the context, even though it looks that way, is not my thing. Humor I do just fine.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

srsly posted:

Nah clicking on random links, the particular content of which is not apparent from the context, even though it looks that way, is not my thing. Humor I do just fine.
I think you're taking this too srsly.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
srsly. For a guy with a Ph.D, he's wound pretty tight.

It should be noted that "candor toward the court" is a more complex thing when it comes to criminal defense and clients testifying.
I cannot suborn perjury, but I cannot prevent my client from testifying, nor can I reveal that his testimony is untrue.
What exactly I should do depends on the state.
In some states, I direct him as usual, in others I direct him on the non perjurious part just as "is there anything else you want to say" and have him basically narrate the rest. (In those states people aren't supposed to make a narrative objection because everyone kind of knows what this is, but it is unspoken)

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Lemonus posted:

This post will probably cover far more than you need, but hey, why not. The whole zealous advocacy duty has been fairly heavily covered over the past few years, particularly in the context of the torture memos; you can find some light reading in the area in blog posts on the topic, most likely.

Sourcewise, I will pimp my old journal, for one: the Georgetown Journal of Legal Ethics. There's been quite a bit in there on both the actual and theoretical bases of the zealous advocacy duty over the past few years; basically the entirety of Volume 23 Issue 4 focused on lawyer duties to clients from a theoretical perspective, for example. Some writers you might want to look into (more from the theoretical perspective than the practical) include David Luban, Brad Wendel, Alice Woolley, Katherine Kruse, and Mit Regan (who's written fairly extensively about this area w/r/t corporate law - his book Eat What You Kill is a good read). While I don't recall the Journal having any NZ-related articles lately, there've been a few on law firm culture in Australia; check V24-2 for Parker & Aitken's article on the topic.

Beyond that, I'd also point you to the Legal Ethics Forum and the LEF Blog, both of which have a number of posts you may find useful, and are basically an excellent starting point for any American legal ethics related

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

my apologies. the law has ruined me.

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Return dignity to the art of loafing.
Thanks for your help guys !

Kalman posted:

This post will probably cover far more than you need, but hey, why not. The whole zealous advocacy duty has been fairly heavily covered over the past few years, particularly in the context of the torture memos; you can find some light reading in the area in blog posts on the topic, most likely.

Sourcewise, I will pimp my old journal, for one: the Georgetown Journal of Legal Ethics. There's been quite a bit in there on both the actual and theoretical bases of the zealous advocacy duty over the past few years; basically the entirety of Volume 23 Issue 4 focused on lawyer duties to clients from a theoretical perspective, for example. Some writers you might want to look into (more from the theoretical perspective than the practical) include David Luban, Brad Wendel, Alice Woolley, Katherine Kruse, and Mit Regan (who's written fairly extensively about this area w/r/t corporate law - his book Eat What You Kill is a good read). While I don't recall the Journal having any NZ-related articles lately, there've been a few on law firm culture in Australia; check V24-2 for Parker & Aitken's article on the topic.

Beyond that, I'd also point you to the Legal Ethics Forum and the LEF Blog, both of which have a number of posts you may find useful, and are basically an excellent starting point for any American legal ethics related

Thanks especially for this. Some of those Georgetown Articles are right on the money especially one directly on willful ignorance.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Keep this in mind, gentle goons. Even if you do happen to land a law-job the job could still be so outrageously difficult or unenjoyable due to client/adversary troubles that you just want to end up an unemployed drunk anyway.

I'm a public defender and all my bad clients call on the same day, usually Monday.

Both of my legal jobs thus far have been very stressful and not very enjoyable. While a prosecutor I had people bitching at me about traffic tickets or defense attorneys whining at me. Now as a defense attorney I have people who I'm helping even more out for my blood.

After many months of misery I've just about had it. If I quit, I don't think I'd even try to get a job in the legal field.

Maybe somewhere else...anyone know -I haven't checked this thread in a long time- how the taco industry is going these days?.

Torpor fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 12, 2011

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Torpor posted:

Both of my legal jobs thus far have been very stressful and not very enjoyable. While a prosecutor I had people bitching at me about traffic tickets or defense attorneys whining at me.

You should drop by #lawgoons on synirc so I can ask you questions about your experiences as a prosecutor :)

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

prussian advisor posted:

You should drop by #lawgoons on synirc so I can ask you questions about your experiences as a prosecutor :)

It did have an endless supply of some of the most bitchin' pens, though.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Torpor posted:

It did have an endless supply of some of the most bitchin' pens, though.

Seriously, though, you should drop by. I have a ton of questions. What state? And why'd you quit, besides defense attorney whining?

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

prussian advisor posted:

Seriously, though, you should drop by. I have a ton of questions. What state? And why'd you quit, besides defense attorney whining?

My boss lost the election, the new guy fired everyone, I was in the 'everyone' group.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

Torpor posted:

My boss lost the election, the new guy fired everyone, I was in the 'everyone' group.

I've never heard of a new elected DA literally firing the whole office, including the new guys. You'd completely wipe out any institutional skills and identity. Was this a large/urban office or relatively small?

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

Torpor posted:

That's brutal. So American prosecutors don't actually have any job security?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Penguins Like Pies posted:

That's brutal. So American prosecutors don't actually have any job security?
Depends on whether you work in a civil service office.
Most offices in CA are civil service, so that isn't an issue.

San Francisco is the biggest exception for both DAs and PDs. And the PD in San Francisco is elected, so they have the same problem.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
Trying to connect to #lawgoons on my phone. It wants a server as well as a channel. What's the server for lawgoons?

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

SYNIRC.NET

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
When the new DA took over in 2008 he made all the prosecutors take piss tests and a bunch if them subsequently "resigned" lol

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Torpor posted:

I'm a public defender and all my bad clients call on the same day, usually Monday.

Both of my legal jobs thus far have been very stressful and not very enjoyable. While a prosecutor I had people bitching at me about traffic tickets or defense attorneys whining at me. Now as a defense attorney I have people who I'm helping even more out for my blood.

After many months of misery I've just about had it. If I quit, I don't think I'd even try to get a job in the legal field.

Do your clients a favor and quit. The last thing anyone needs when they encounter the U.S. criminal justice system is a checked-out miserable former DA for a lawyer, who thinks that people asserting rights are "whining."

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've been told twice by my future boss that I'm getting an offer, but that they are waiting on the numbers to be signed off by the head of the department. I am moving to a new city to take this job, and my wife and I are looking for apartments in the new city. Unfortunately, we can't get an apartment without proof of employment, so I'm stuck in this weird limbo where I'm hoping the offer letter comes any day (which it might) and I am pushing ahead looking at apartments.

I'm really tempted to email my future boss and just gently nudge him about the numbers to see if I can speed the process up, or at least get an informal letter from him that I could use to secure an apartment, but I also don't want to gently caress up the process by being pushy.

Uggggh. My wife is ready to murder me because we're trying to find an apartment and we aren't even sure how much I'll be making.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

entris posted:

I've been told twice by my future boss that I'm getting an offer, but that they are waiting on the numbers to be signed off by the head of the department.

Same boat. I'm waiting on a phone call "this week". Sure would be a load off my back as I study for the bar or a crushing defeat.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

Same boat. I'm waiting on a phone call "this week". Sure would be a load off my back as I study for the bar or a crushing defeat.

I've been told by so many attorneys to get out of Austin that I'm moving back to Dallas. We can collaborate. :love:

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Solomon Grundy posted:

Or least learn to use it correctly. The most important hiring criterion for me right now is finding someone who can scan, ocr and manipulate .pdf files with very little input from me.

Is this a paying gig? Hrmmmmm. Also add me to the list of people waiting for a call back on a job "this week"

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

HooKars posted:

So I gave my two weeks notice today. I am officially not a practicing attorney anymore and am returning to my pre-law school career of paralegal.

My starting salary is $80,000, there are no billables and the hours are supposedly fairly regular though I guess we will see. I'm pretty content at the moment.

You must feel very relieved. I'm glad to hear your life will be much less stressful, and to me that is worth every penny of the money you're giving up.

quepasa18 fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 12, 2011

cendien
Sep 14, 2008

CaptainScraps posted:

I've been told by so many attorneys to get out of Austin that I'm moving back to Dallas. We can collaborate. :love:

Out of curiosity, is this because the legal market in Austin is next to nonexistent? Or hiring, at least.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

J Miracle posted:

Do your clients a favor and quit. The last thing anyone needs when they encounter the U.S. criminal justice system is a checked-out miserable former DA for a lawyer, who thinks that people asserting rights are "whining."
To be fair a lot of them whine and rarely about their actual rights.
Most PDs, including the most dedicated, will bitch and moan about whiny clients:
"Could I get a better deal if I got a real lawyer?"

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

cendien posted:

Out of curiosity, is this because the legal market in Austin is next to nonexistent? Or hiring, at least.

Austin is a small city in which almost every Texan wishes to live. Small legal market + lots of competition. Our legislature only meets every 2 years so there isn't the normal amount of legal activities in the capital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

nm posted:

To be fair a lot of them whine and rarely about their actual rights.
Most PDs, including the most dedicated, will bitch and moan about whiny clients:
"Could I get a better deal if I got a real lawyer?"

This one bothers me the most. I also love its brother: "I was talking to this partner at a law firm and he said that what the cops did totally violated my rights!"

Sure buddy. Since you didn't pay for your PD, I'm sure you have plenty of money to afford a consult with a partner in a law firm now.