Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
I'm trying doomsday and it's gone very well so far. I'm open to other suggestions however if there are better engines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Cubemario posted:

I'm trying doomsday and it's gone very well so far. I'm open to other suggestions however if there are better engines.

Give my suggestion a try. It may work for you or it may not, but keep in mind that not only is (G)Zdoom is pretty much everything a source port should be (regularly updated, very feature-rich), it has also become the de-facto standard for the modding community. Doomsday (or jDoom, whatever the hell they call it these days) has always been buggy for me as well, if that's worth anything. If your only issue is with the perspective problem shown in your video, going with GZdoom with OpenGL functionality is your best option if you ask me.

And hey, if you don't like it, you can always switch back.

The only thing I like about jDoom over (G)Zdoom is that it comes with a pretty sweet frontend. SavageMessiah's launcher for (G)Zdoom (found in the OP) is a godsend, though.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 11, 2011

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

You might surprise yourself.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Don't see how it could be hard. Just make your textures, put them in your own wad and make sure they have the same name as the texture they are replacing, load it up and voila. At least in theory.

I don't know where to start or what program is easiest :downs:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Quirk posted:

I don't know where to start or what program is easiest :downs:
SLADE is the best WAD editor/browser today. It also handles a bunch of other formats like Duke 3D GRPs to varying extents.

Technically you should be able to export all the Patches and Flats to PNGs, edit them as you will, save them as 256-colour PNG files, and put them in a zip file in appropriately named folders ("Flats" and "Patches"), then you should be able to run the zip as a WAD ingame and see your changes.

Don't worry too much about pallete, either - if you use a 256-colour PNG for your textures, ZDoom will be smart and convert it to Doom's pallete on the fly while GZDoom will display it as intended.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

The Kins posted:

SLADE is the best WAD editor/browser today. It also handles a bunch of other formats like Duke 3D GRPs to varying extents.

Technically you should be able to export all the Patches and Flats to PNGs, edit them as you will, save them as 256-colour PNG files, and put them in a zip file in appropriately named folders ("Flats" and "Patches"), then you should be able to run the zip as a WAD ingame and see your changes.

Don't worry too much about pallete, either - if you use a 256-colour PNG for your textures, ZDoom will be smart and convert it to Doom's pallete on the fly while GZDoom will display it as intended.

SLADE is pretty rad. It has some quirks that I don't like, mainly the fact that it doesn't resize the text editing pane properly so the program can only be used in fullscreen/almost fullscreen, but it covers pretty much everything you need to make a mod in one program.

As for paletes, you can convert everything you select at once so that's really easy. Just highlight all the textures, right click and go to GFX -> Convert to... and it'll have all the settings you need and even show you before/after views.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Mak0rz posted:

Use GZdoom and enable the OpenGL render. It renders levels in 3D and fixes that perspective problem. Or you can really go classic like I do and disable the Y-axis altogether :v:
'sup, disabled Y-axis bro.:hfive: In my recent playthough I'm going for a mix of streamlined enhancement and authenticity. Widescreen, dynamic lighting, enhanced HUD, but with "raw" graphics and no Y-axis. Loving it so far!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Minidust posted:

'sup, disabled Y-axis bro.:hfive: In my recent playthough I'm going for a mix of streamlined enhancement and authenticity. Widescreen, dynamic lighting, enhanced HUD, but with "raw" graphics and no Y-axis. Loving it so far!

:hfive: I like my enhancements. I never play classic WADs without ReDoom, I like the OpenGL effects (though right now I'm running on software because my laptop is a piece of poo poo) and the overlay automap and the 1600x900 display...

But I'll be god damned if there's looking up and down in my Doom. :colbert:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I've got an old laptop that can barely handle Quake III, and on it GZDoom actually runs considerably better than software rendering. With texture filtering and fancy lighting disabled, it's around twice the speed of plain ZDoom.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Mr_Person posted:

I've got an old laptop that can barely handle Quake III, and on it GZDoom actually runs considerably better than software rendering. With texture filtering and fancy lighting disabled, it's around twice the speed of plain ZDoom.

Hardware acceleration is faster than software. That's the point of it.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Mug posted:

Hardware acceleration is faster than software. That's the point of it.

I know that's the point of it. That's what I'm saying.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Mr_Person posted:

I know that's the point of it. That's what I'm saying.

Oh, haha. I thought you were pointing out the weirdness of your PC's behavior or something.

Reminds me of having to take out my TNT2 and put in the Banshee whenever we wanted to play Diablo 2 because it ran a fuckload better in Glide than it did in Direct3D.

Everything written for Glide ran like a dream if you had a Voodoo card.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mr_Person posted:

My laptop:
CPU: dual-threaded, dual-core Intel i3 2.27GHz
GPU: Intel HD chipset, notorious for not being able to play anything remotely recent.

GZdoom (with OpenGL) on 1600x900 stutters like mad and becomes unplayable during some busy scenes. Software rendering (same resolution) doesn't experience any slowdown at all. I can play Quake III and the like just fine, it just seems to have a problem with newer rendering methods/calls or something.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Playing through plutonia with brutal doom right now, on ultra-violence.
So much blood, so much ownage.
I'm getting my rear end kicked though. :(

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

My laptop:
CPU: dual-threaded, dual-core Intel i3 2.27GHz
GPU: Intel HD chipset, notorious for not being able to play anything remotely recent.

GZdoom (with OpenGL) on 1600x900 stutters like mad and becomes unplayable during some busy scenes. Software rendering (same resolution) doesn't experience any slowdown at all. I can play Quake III and the like just fine, it just seems to have a problem with newer rendering methods/calls or something.

The one exception to hardware acceleration running faster than software acceleration is with integrated Intel chipsets. Sorry :( I had to deal with gaming on a GMA 950 for a while and some of the tricks you have to pull to get games working were hilariously arcane.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Brutal Doom + the 10x mod + E2M8 =

:stare:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Is there any chance on putting SLADE and other editors in the OP?

I know its been said but how is that extra doom 2 (XBLA version) episode called? I'm aware that is :filez: for PC, im not asking for a link.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

Guillermus posted:

I know its been said but how is that extra doom 2 (XBLA version) episode called? I'm aware that is :filez: for PC, im not asking for a link.

It's called No Rest for the Living, and it's one of the hardest things I've ever played. Difficult, but fair. Will give you a run for your Doom money.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

co199 posted:

It's called No Rest for the Living, and it's one of the hardest things I've ever played. Difficult, but fair. Will give you a run for your Doom money.

I don't know, I thought the complete mess of Imps and their Cyberdemon friend on the last map were a little unfair. :(

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

tooooooo bad posted:

I don't know, I thought the complete mess of Imps and their Cyberdemon friend on the last map were a little unfair. :(

I IDKFA'd and tried just emptying infinite BFG ammo into that swarm. I still died about a dozen times.

Give me Deus Vult 2 any day of the week.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Dominic White posted:

I IDKFA'd and tried just emptying infinite BFG ammo into that swarm. I still died about a dozen times.

Give me Deus Vult 2 any day of the week.

I was playing with Brutal Doom and ended up spamming the special berserk kills, during which you're invincible, and somehow managed to survive in that fashion until the Cyberdemon had splattered nearly the lot of them. Thinking back on it now it probably would've been best to run off the elevator over their heads and fight them in the maze rather than getting mobbed in the corner.

Either way it's still a really great set of levels. That "Vivisection" map that builds outward from a central circular room was really cool. Also I guess that I just really like good hell-themed maps.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

So I started using Skulltag yesterday and I'm already in love with online deathmatch. Is the Doom Friday still a thing? Is there an IRC channel knocking about? I'd love to find out if there are any good goon servers/nights to jump on.

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

You might surprise yourself.
E4M2, Brutal Doom, Ultraviolence, Fast Monsters, Pistol Start... It can be done godammit. :negative:

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
I've been playing around with the Doom64EX deal (http://doom64ex.sourceforge.net/), but I can't for the life of me get its generated IWAD to play with Skulltag (so my brother and I can play together) or gzdoom. For Skulltag, it's not showing up in the list of IWADS to select.

What the heck am I doing wrong?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

BaronVanAwesome posted:

I've been playing around with the Doom64EX deal (http://doom64ex.sourceforge.net/), but I can't for the life of me get its generated IWAD to play with Skulltag (so my brother and I can play together) or gzdoom. For Skulltag, it's not showing up in the list of IWADS to select.

What the heck am I doing wrong?
Doom 64 EX's IWAD is literally the WAD data from the N64 ROM, without any real conversion to PC formats. Only Doom 64 EX can run it, since its been modified to do so.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

The Kins posted:

Doom 64 EX's IWAD is literally the WAD data from the N64 ROM, without any real conversion to PC formats. Only Doom 64 EX can run it, since its been modified to do so.

Well, I guess that solves that, then. Thanks for the help!

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Doom 64 EX seems to have some type of multiplayer functionality built in, but a friend and I couldn't get it to work whatsoever over hamachi. Anybody else have luck with it?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm using Skulltag for multiplayer purposes and I can't seem to tell it to disable forward/backward mouse movement. How do I do this? Turning the slider all the way down doesn't help.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

Mak0rz posted:

I'm using Skulltag for multiplayer purposes and I can't seem to tell it to disable forward/backward mouse movement. How do I do this? Turning the slider all the way down doesn't help.

IIRC there's an "always mouselook" toggle somewhere in the options. Turn that on.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
If you don't want mouse look, you could try raising or lowering your sensitivity in game to such a degree that all effects of mouse movement are negated. Just an idea.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Brutal Doom is one of the best things ever.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

moms pubis posted:

IIRC there's an "always mouselook" toggle somewhere in the options. Turn that on.

I also don't want vertical looking though. I only want the mouse to control looking horizontally.

treat posted:

If you don't want mouse look, you could try raising or lowering your sensitivity in game to such a degree that all effects of mouse movement are negated. Just an idea.

I have already said that this didn't work. It does for newer versions of Zdoom, but moving the slider all the way down in whichever version Skulltag is based on doesn't actually zero it.

I tried searching the .ini for it but couldn't find anything. Finding it and setting it to zero is really all that has to be done. Anyone know the command?

EDIT:
While you're at it, could someone tell me how I can play a two-player co-op Doom 2 campaign with my friend? I can't seem to figure it out. Shouldn't we be able to connect to each other's IPs or something?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 13, 2011

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

EDIT:
While you're at it, could someone tell me how I can play a two-player co-op Doom 2 campaign with my friend? I can't seem to figure it out. Shouldn't we be able to connect to each other's IPs or something?

There's probably an even easier way but for playing with friends I always set up a server using the server browser client that comes with Skulltag. It has a nice GUI so it's extremely quick and easy to do.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

tooooooo bad posted:

There's probably an even easier way but for playing with friends I always set up a server using the server browser client that comes with Skulltag. It has a nice GUI so it's extremely quick and easy to do.

I got that far, but I didn't really know what to do with it.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Yeah, if you toss up a server you can simply type the IP in console to connect.
code:
connect ###.###.#.#
Actually getting a server to appear on the master list can be a chore because it requires DMZ, firewall access, and if you're ISP blocks the port you're SOL.

With that, just got a new monitor and OpenGL problems are solved. Stronghold server should be going back up this evening.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3364121

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

I got that far, but I didn't really know what to do with it.

Load up Doomseeker, go to the File menu and hit Create Server.

Pick your iwad and add any additional wads below that. Keep in mind that people connecting will need those wads to join, but if they connect through Doomseeker it will attempt to automatically find and download those wads for them.

Set your difficulty level and lives in the Rules tab, you can put in a server password on the Misc. tab, and you can set all of your extra flags with the other tabs (fast monsters, jumping, crouching, whether or not you respawn with equipment in coop, etc.) When you're done hit Start Server at the bottom.

With your server running you can either type console commands into the text field at the bottom or use the menus at the top to change the map and so on. Go to the File menu and hit Join Server to do exactly that.

To get your friend to connect either have him find the server with the Doomseeker server browser (he'll need to hit the big red arrow to Get Servers before it'll show up there) or have him start Skulltag as he would normally (with all of the appropriate wads) and type "connect YOUR EXTERNAL IP" to join.

If you want to control your server in-game, set an RCon password on the Misc. tab. In-game open the console with tilde (~) and type "send_password YOURPASSWORD" to give yourself control. You should then be able to use commands like "rcon changelevel map01" to make things happen.

Hope this all makes sense. It's pretty easy to figure out if you experiment a bit, even for complete networking dunces like myself.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 13, 2011

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

treat posted:

Yeah, if you toss up a server you can simply type the IP in console to connect.
code:
connect ###.###.#.#
Actually getting a server to appear on the master list can be a chore because it requires DMZ, firewall access, and if you're ISP blocks the port you're SOL.

With that, just got a new monitor and OpenGL problems are solved. Stronghold server should be going back up this evening.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3364121

Stronghold owns, what's your server IP?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
97.121.31.119:10666

You'll also need the fix from the OP of the stronghold thread. All the info regarding the server is on the last page.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Ok I'm hosting REAL GOONS HARDCORE and Stronghold GOONS on my linux box now, find them through Doomseeker. If anyone knows linux and can tell me how to run the servers like a startup process I'd like to do that because I think running them in a console window risks having them timeout from screensaver or accidentally closed.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

tooooooo bad posted:

Doomseeker 101

This helped! Played some maps tonight and had a blast. Thanks! :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
So, I finally got a chance to download Unreal Gold today along with a bunch of other games I got during Steam's Summer Camp sale, (Deus Ex: GOTY and iD Super Pack included) and I'm really enjoying revisiting it. However, I noticed something odd. Earlier in the thread, somebody mentioned this, a DirectX 10 renderer for Unreal Gold and Deus Ex. The problem is that it apparently only works with Vista or higher. Being on XP, is there any imaginable way to get this to work? As it is, it doesn't crash as it says it should but instead seems to launch into software mode instead.

The renderer source code is available, so if nothing else, would it be possible to compile a version to run in XP?