Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
I would endorse that the CrabGuard keep the results of this round of shooting. The Flashman is bareheaded in the rain, but the Gaussback's head has just been lopped off entirely. You came out ahead, if only somewhat.

The Flashman probably won't last much longer. Go down in a blaze of :black101:

Hopefully you can take some ponies down with you. Friendship may be Magic, but Large Lasers are Divine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009
It's a pity the Flashman doesn't have hands, because otherwise when that leg comes flying off it could pick it up and use it as a club.

And then hobble towards the Bane on one leg and proceed to beat it to death in a feat of :black101:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Going by the percentages, I'd say that if we can re-roll just the Clan shots we should do that, but if it's the whole turn, leave it as is.

Frankly, the headless Hunchback is a dream shot that you can't count on getting again. It should be preserved at all costs, even the Flashman's hip. But if we can just get the Clan shots re-rolled alone? I'm willing to take our chances.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Why can't just the rolls of the mech shooting the Flashman be reassigned and rerolled? :confused:

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
Yeah, I'd say if the clan's shooting can be rerolled then that would be nice. People tried to use cover in a tactical way and it feels wrong to ignore it. If the Hunchback getting to roll new shots means that someone else gets headcapped, well then that is what really happened! Right now we just have a weird dream where the clanners shot though the ground!

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Tempest_56 posted:

Great turn guys, and a drat lucky kill on that Gaussback. Okay, my tactical suggestions:

King Crab: Hold position. You are 7 hexes away from F5 - this is your perfect kill zone. You are in range for every single one of your weapons, and in (effective) short range for all but the SSRMs. (Technically you're in medium range with the LPL, but with a -2 tohit, it's effectively short range.) You have 7s on it - you will never have a better shot. Murder the son of a bitch. You are the heaviest firepower here, you should be able to mostly obliterate that mech in one salvo.

Will I have 7s on it? It moved a LOT that turn. I was thinking of just moving up one hex, and firing EVERYTHING at the stationary (and thus easy prey) F2.

This also has the advantage that I'm firing on the much heavier pony with the more dangerous weapons.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
As much as a do-over is fair I say leave it stand.

Why?

Because you need to specify poo poo like "I expect to be out of LoS here" in wargaming, so your opponant doesn't do what PTN just did. Courtesy people, courtesy.

Also: did the Hunchback get hit in the face with a location roll of 10?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Arquinsiel posted:

Also: did the Hunchback get hit in the face with a location roll of 10?

No, that was a copy/paste error.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Just imagine what the dice gods think of do-overs. Now think of your mech's heads. What do you think will happen if you redo things?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

DatonKallandor posted:

Will I have 7s on it? It moved a LOT that turn. I was thinking of just moving up one hex, and firing EVERYTHING at the stationary (and thus easy prey) F2.

This also has the advantage that I'm firing on the much heavier pony with the more dangerous weapons.

I could be wrong - math time!

F5: range 7, jumped 6
To hit is: 2 (base) + 0 (range for most weapons) + 0 (shooter stationary) + 3 (moved 6) + 1 (jumped) + 2 (EM) = 8

F2: range 10, moves 0, in partial cover
To hit is: 2 (base) + 2 (range for most weapons) + 0 (shooter stationary) + 0 (moved 0) + 2 (EM) = 6.

F2 is the easier shot, you're right. But it's also in partial cover, so any shots that would normally hit the legs are going to get absorbed by the hill for no damage.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Right now, we've got two options. I can scrub the turn, and do it over--since it changes who the Clanners will target; or we can keep it, since I misjudged your position (it's the major downside to having to split a map into two parts, it's harder for me to make judgement calls like that).

Why not split the difference and say that the Flashman had only partial cover, not complete cover? Cancel the Left Leg hit but keep the rest of the results. Or make the easy re-target and say that the King Crab IIC fired at the Black Knight instead.

I hate to see players forced to choose between the benefits of good tactics and the benefits of a lucky shot...

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I'm happy to go along with everyone else and keep the current results.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
It already happened, I say keep it (and I am the Flashman pilot). There's a lot of game to go and that is time and energy on PTN's part best spent on next turn.

I'm at distance 5 to their Bane I don't care about moving anymore~

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

The Flashman probably won't last much longer. Go down in a blaze of :black101:

Hopefully you can take some ponies down with you. Friendship may be Magic, but Large Lasers are Divine.

Way ahead of you

UberJew posted:

This turn actually turned out amazingly for the crabguard! (and recall I'm the guy who was just drat near immobilized)

Our lucky headshot was a kill while theirs was just a knockdown, and their lucky TACs didn't actually remove my mech as a threat. The Donars are in good positions to take out this turn and, presuming they don't end up TAG-ing both the King Crab and Black Knight for offmap artillery I think we've got a much better chance of winning now than we had last turn

I just won't be living through the battle to see it :black101:

fyi Everyone who suggests the Flashman move: at speed 2/3 moving at all gives the moving unit a worse penalty than anyone shooting at it. My best ratio is now achieved by standing still rather than moving unless I need to do so to close a range bracket.

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 11, 2011

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Tempest_56 posted:

I could be wrong - math time!

F5: range 7, jumped 6
To hit is: 2 (base) + 0 (range for most weapons) + 0 (shooter stationary) + 3 (moved 6) + 1 (jumped) + 2 (EM) = 8

F2: range 10, moves 0, in partial cover
To hit is: 2 (base) + 2 (range for most weapons) + 0 (shooter stationary) + 0 (moved 0) + 2 (EM) = 6.

F2 is the easier shot, you're right. But it's also in partial cover, so any shots that would normally hit the legs are going to get absorbed by the hill for no damage.

I'm afraid your math is off - TN for F5 is 7, as moving 6 is a +2, not +3. F5 should be your target, as shooting at a Quad in partial cover is a little desperate, and you stand a better chance of doing serious damage to the far lighter F5.

I'd like to remind the relevant players that Quads can't torso twist, either, so getting out of their firing arcs when they lose init is pretty easy. (If you're not the King Crab or the Flashman, obviously)

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 11, 2011

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Is the hit location table for a quad mech the same as for a regular one? I couldn't find one online specifically for quad mechs, and I assumed having extra legs would mean a greater chance to hit them compared to another location.

My math says you have a 25% chance of a leg from the left/right, and a 22% chance from straight on.

F7: With a to-hit of 7 you've got a 58% base chance to hit.

F2: With a to-hit of 6 you've got a 72% base chance to hit. -22%/-25% gets you down to an effective accuracy of 56.8%/54%.

Accuracy wise it's basically a crapshoot.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Nevets posted:

Is the hit location table for a quad mech the same as for a regular one? I couldn't find one online specifically for quad mechs, and I assumed having extra legs would mean a greater chance to hit them compared to another location.

Quads take leg hits when other mechs take arm hits, FYI.

I still think you should take out F5, it's a 40 tonner that only ran 6 right now, your TNs on it are good and even if it's a max armor 40 tonner it isn't that tough.

Versus an assault-weight Quad with partial cover.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Nevets posted:

Quads, not having, yanno, arms just replace all instances of L/R Arm with L/R Front Leg. As such, on the Front table, rolls of 3-5 and 9-11 hit the legs (and would be ignored by a target in partial cover).

Percentages aside, getting 7s to hit on a jumpy lightish Mech like F5 is rare enough in this environment that it just makes sense to take a chunk out of it now.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Despite the damage sustained that turn, I feel like our valiant comguards improved from 90% hosed to about 60% hosed by taking out that gaussback. I suggest you keep the results regardless of the flawed interpretation of some terrain and continue pressing the assault.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

The Merry Marauder posted:

I'm afraid your math is off - TN for F5 is 7, as moving 6 is a +2, not +3. F5 should be your target, as shooting at a Quad in partial cover is a little desperate, and you stand a better chance of doing serious damage to the far lighter F5.

You know, I did that right on my first attempt and managed to botch it up in the second pass. Goes to show you!

And yes, shooting a quad in partial is pretty futile. A hit location roll of 3-5 or 9-11 does nothing - 50% (49.98% to be exact) of your hits will be soaked by the hill for no damage. This is a terrible idea.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Vox Nihili posted:

Despite the damage sustained that turn, I feel like our valiant comguards improved from 90% hosed to about 60% hosed by taking out that gaussback. I suggest you keep the results regardless of the flawed interpretation of some terrain and continue pressing the assault.

Qualitatively would that be a downgrade from "severely-" to "really-" or from "rear end-" to "seriously-"? Because I can go along with the latter, but I think the former presents far too pretty a picture of the CrabGuard's placed on the hosed Up Continuum. Fortunately, the KC has double-give-no-fucks sinks, so it's dissipating all that hosed-up-ness as quickly as PTN can dish it out.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
Random question: If the King Crab hypothetically expends all of its gauss rifle ammo, is it possible to power down the gauss rifles so they do not explode on a weapon hit?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Rick_Hunter posted:

Random question: If the King Crab hypothetically expends all of its gauss rifle ammo, is it possible to power down the gauss rifles so they do not explode on a weapon hit?

rules exist for this, ptn may allow. King crab should stand still fire gauss at F5 and large pulse laser and streaks at V2.

:siren: do not fire the gauss rifles at v2 it is inside your minimum range :siren:

V2 moved 14, which is +4 and vtols have an extra +1 when moving, so base of 7 plus the em field is 9... oh and secondary target is +1 buuuut.

pulse lasers put a -2 on it, so it returns to a 8, and there is NEVER any reason to not fire your streaks, EVER... except maybe heat issues.

Black knight can stand still, since the dervish is apparently fighting in zell against the exterminator (and this was as planned.) and that vtol next to it has no front armor and is delicious when shot with 2 large pulse lasers and 4 medium lasers for neutral heat at point blank range on 6s and 8s respectively.

the starslayer can get up and still run to 2017 and be unshootable to both quads and able to shoot, the lynx can jump to 1916 for the same and rear armor on f2. remember to tell poptarts you end it facing f2.

King crab will be shot by both quads this turn but as an assault mech can tank the hits and give no fucks.

oh and F2 needs to die, it has streak srm 6s which are nasty... oh and those choppers are running for backup... don't let them escape. but don't waste your gauss on the chopper either use it on the quad.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 11, 2011

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Too much loving around, W.T. Fits jump to behind and the left of the dervish on the same level, fire the small laser in your head, and shove the mech over, if you make it fall down you pretty much have it dead from a 3 level fall. and it can't jumpjet that turn.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 11, 2011

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Didn't one of our guys lose an SRM? Does he have another? If not, jettison that ammo.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
You guys have completely glossed over the most important part of this battle. There are two unknown mechs on the field. They need IS Designations. Who is man enough to come up with something superior to the Thunderchild?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

AtomikKrab posted:

Daton if you already have it give it to me as a late birthday present :3:

Happy Birthday!

Daton already has the game and he says you should receive it due to your advice being the impetus behind his lucky hot. Friend me on Steam and I'll gift it to you.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197973030436

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

KnoxZone posted:

You guys have completely glossed over the most important part of this battle. There are two unknown mechs on the field. They need IS Designations. Who is man enough to come up with something superior to the Thunderchild?

How about Sleipnir for the 80 ton quad?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

landcollector posted:

How about Sleipnir for the 80 ton quad?

I knew I liked you. When everyone was making ponymech designs two months ago, my submission was named Sleipnir. I love giving Norse names to all my mechs.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

KnoxZone posted:

How about Bucephalus for the 80-ton quad? I like to think that the Clanners would retain some sense of history over the course of their exile.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I submit "Shadowfax" for one of the two. Just because the Fighting Urak-hai had to die for legal reasons doesn't mean LotR was never written.

Zeroisanumber posted:

How about Bucephalus for the 80-ton quad? I like to think that the Clanners would retain some sense of history over the course of their exile.

We're not establishing what the Clanners' actual names for their machines are. Presumably they are still the Nova, Mad Dog, and so on. What we're doing is deciding on what the IS designations for these designs are, since we don't know what the given name of a chassis is.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Defiance Industries posted:

We're not establishing what the Clanners' actual names for their machines are. Presumably they are still the Nova, Mad Dog, and so on. What we're doing is deciding on what the IS designations for these designs are, since we don't know what the given name of a chassis is.

Ah. Well, I'll still leave it out there for consideration.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Defiance Industries posted:

I submit "Shadowfax" for one of the two. Just because the Fighting Urak-hai had to die for legal reasons doesn't mean LotR was never written.

This is the CrabGuard, they'll either name them "Pegasus" and "Nightmare" or they'll name them "Nilbog" and "Githyanki" depending on whether they have their Fiend Folio handy.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Not saying it's a bad name and it being given by IS powers makes the explanation more likely, not less.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
One of them should be named the Wyld Stallyn.

Yes, it should. If 80s hair can survive to the 31st century, so can 80s culture.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mukaikubo posted:

One of them should be named the Wyld Stallyn.

Yes, it should. If 80s hair can survive to the 31st century, so can 80s culture.

Battletech is the future of the 80's...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Comguard should give the mechs designations intended to troll the gently caress out of the clanners. Let's call them Donkey and rear end.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Comguard should give the mechs designations intended to troll the gently caress out of the clanners. Let's call them Donkey and rear end.

No, call the smaller one of them the rear end and call the larger one King rear end.

E: Or call the larger one the Fat rear end

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Might I suggest Tachash for the assault quad? Wikipedia says it was a creature described by the Talmud as a one horned desert animal with multi-colored coat.

Without any in game description of the 40 ton quad we should hold off on naming it.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

My vote would be for Pegasus (for the 40 tonner) and Sleipnir (for the 80 tonner). Both fit quite well, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Xmas Future posted:

I'll let the rest of the current players decide, since the headshot on the Hunchback was a definite plus, and I'm not dead yet, but the flashman's also hurt.

My usual rule in games is not to redo anything unless absolutely necessary, so I'd say we just roll with what we've got. It was your mech that got smacked though, so if you feel like redoing the turn I'm with you.

EDIT:

Also assuming the turn does stand, I'm going to laser the gently caress out of V1.

Gothsheep fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 11, 2011

• Locked thread