Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Dodgeball posted:

Having Roast Beef not be depressed is like having Garfield not like lasagna.

I don't want him to not be depressed anymore, I just wish he wasn't as depressed as he was when was living with Grandma K.

And anyway, Garfield will always like lasagna because he has to constantly stick to the status quo to keep the strip blandly appealing to all markets. I hope Onstad was aiming for a bit more than that. :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Here's the thing about depression, though: You can't "cure" it. It's like malaria. The fever might come and go but the disease stays. The best you can do is hope to find ways to stave off the worst of it, so you can function like a real live person instead of lying on the floor all day with toast in your mouth. Roast Beef knows this, and relies on routine methods which are vaguely reliable at best. (IF YOU ONLY DO ONE THING TODAY YOU NEED TO EAT SOME GOD DAMNED PEANUT BUTTER)

The only one who is really trying to help Roast Beef is Molly, and I suspect Beef only lets her because making him happy makes her happy and nothing brings a couple together like codependency. But Molly doesn't understand the full measure of Beef's depression. (Phillipe doesn't, either, but he's five and going to the supermarket is super easy for him.) Ideally Molly would love to cure Beef, but there's never going to be a day when the cat wakes up and is magically Not Depressed. poo poo just doesn't happen that way.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Yeah, trust me, I do know how depression works. Like I said, I don't need for him to be "cured" or whatever. It is possible for depressed people to become slightly less depressed.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
I think Beef's in a better state of mind than he was living with Grandma K. There are strips where he isn't all mopey and depressed; he has his days like everyone else.

If Onstad ever starts up again (for reals) I hope he does an arc where Grandma K dies and Beef has to address his mixed emotions on the subject. I also want a robot-centric arc, and I want to see what Little Nephew is up to.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I want more god damned flowcharts.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

rotinaj posted:

There you go:

This is the Future of Achewood flowchart.

It's more depressing than any Roast Beef flowchart could possibly be :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

rotinaj posted:

YES! HI! :3:

Also that Magreaux Dog freaked me out the first time I saw it. Just terrifyingly wrong.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

YES! HI! :3:

That is why I want more Achewood flowcharts.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Dodgeball posted:

Many pages back, we started casting people to play characters. Did we ever get good suggestions for [...] Nice Pete

If CO didn't base Pete's recent look on Nick Cave there's something offkilter with the world :)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It.

It is uncanny.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Zefiel posted:

Someone mentioned it earlier, the cop out of the Williams-Sonoma arc with Cartilage Head, while interesting, was kind of the same thing all over again, down to the picture of 'I proved myself a coward' at the end. I think it does stand on its own, but maybe not against the astringent standards of originality Achewood set in the past (The Lonis Edison arc, for example, I mean, Ray walking back from Mexico)... wait, that arc abused the poo poo out of magical Mexican realism, which already had been abused. (Nephew in Wales).

Lonis Edison was way before Little Nephew in Wales, though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

If CO didn't base Pete's recent look on Nick Cave there's something offkilter with the world :)

Consider that while listening to this song

P.S - I love this song.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

P.S - I love this song.

While considering Nice Pete, I would think the more relvant Cave and the Bad Seeds tune (off the same album no less, I suppose it is called Murder Ballads) is this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nssw909H8xE&fmt=34

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Jerusalem posted:

P.S - I love this song.

heh, I thought of that as soon as I saw the Nick Cave photo. Great song.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
The home page got changed so that it produces a random comic with each refresh. At first I was ultra-excited about seemingly stumbling onto a new update, until I realized. :smith:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Locus posted:

The home page got changed so that it produces a random comic with each refresh. At first I was ultra-excited about seemingly stumbling onto a new update, until I realized. :smith:

I guess looking at the same comic for five months at a time does grate on a fellow but this solution :psyduck:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
You can't browse back to the one he did in... February? Was it February? either. The latest one available is the (ugh) 2011 Predictions one from January.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Proving once again that revisionist history is and always has been the best history

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There is no such thing as Achewood.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

We have always been at war with Pat's Subway.

The Nick Cave/Nice Pete resemblance is absolutely amazing and perfectly fitting, by the way.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
I went to the site to see what random comic had come up and it was the beginning to the Great Outdoor Fight arc. I miss old Achewood. :sigh:

Djolly
May 4, 2011

war. on drugs.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

You can't browse back to the one he did in... February? Was it February? either. The latest one available is the (ugh) 2011 Predictions one from January.

You can still get it through the RSS.

This is a pretty neat idea for inactive webcomics in general, the randomized frontpage thing.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

csammis posted:

Proving once again that revisionist history is and always has been the best history

To be honest, I'd be embarrassed of that strip, too.

The Haggis Line
Apr 10, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Many moons ago when Chris Onstad was hanging out in some thread here answering questions I asked him that exact thing. He said that Nice Pete was indeed based on Nick Cave, among other crazy people. This was back before Achewood jumped the shark.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

The Haggis Line posted:

Many moons ago when Chris Onstad was hanging out in some thread here answering questions I asked him that exact thing. He said that Nice Pete was indeed based on Nick Cave, among other crazy people. This was back before Achewood jumped the shark.

I wouldn't say that Achewood ever jumped any shark. Sure, that last strip was not very good but just because every strip isn't a grand slam it doesn't mean that the strip sucks. Achewood just... stopped.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Ugh, alt-text for the random comic that popped up was "DONATE".

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

csammis posted:

So if shithead actually manages to relaunch Achewood and consistently update it again, I wonder if the quiet return of the shop/merch will follow with no resolution to the paid orders/paid preorders that people lost real money on.

He might get away with it since the last year has been sparse on the Achewood front. Update two or three times a week while bringing back the quality it had in years past, get a new fanbase that doesn't know or care about the baggage of the past and its back to business.

His shameless whoring for donations is fine and well. Him just quietly taking a chunk of cash from a bunch of fans who paid for real products never to be delivered is unforgivable. Stealing is not donating.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Random achewood. Fun little arc. Sigh.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04012008

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

glug posted:

Random achewood. Fun little arc. Sigh.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04012008

Oh my God I had completely forgotten this entire arc, thank you for reminding me of it.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
if you dont use your computer solely for looking up chaps and lads from history then I dont even know

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The following storyline where Ray is unsure if he's on the receiving end of a "friend's arrest" is another neat little storyline I forgot.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I wonder what the hell "while we gird the new generation of Achewood" means. Is he writing a whole bunch of strips? Is he handing the reins to another writer? Speculation, abound!

Also, on a whim, I decided to google "Cartilage Head" for some kind of summary on his character, appearances, et cetera. One of the first results was a page from the Achewood Wiki, but it was full of spam. Checking the history, it was spam for over 500 edits, dating back from 2009. For over two years, random spambots have rewritten Cartilage Head's wiki page with alternating links to brazilian teens, penis growth medicine, and random links such as to "extreme dildo movie" and "milkshake myspace.com". So sad.

H O TAFT
Dec 20, 2007
If you're just joining us, it's 4:47 in the A.M. and you're watching Perspectives.
Achewood: Extreme Dildo Generation: The College Years

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Fren posted:

I wonder what the hell "while we gird the new generation of Achewood" means. Is he writing a whole bunch of strips? Is he handing the reins to another writer? Speculation, abound!

Also, on a whim, I decided to google "Cartilage Head" for some kind of summary on his character, appearances, et cetera. One of the first results was a page from the Achewood Wiki, but it was full of spam. Checking the history, it was spam for over 500 edits, dating back from 2009. For over two years, random spambots have rewritten Cartilage Head's wiki page with alternating links to brazilian teens, penis growth medicine, and random links such as to "extreme dildo movie" and "milkshake myspace.com". So sad.

The Achewood Wiki is still infested with over the top spam? last time I checked it was back in 2009!

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06042002

I miss you Achewood, but you still make me laugh and I'm glad we have a random page now. :(

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Does this remind you guys of anything? http://pzrservices.typepad.com/vintageadvertising/2007/03/vintage_ad_for__3.html

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I got a question about FLAVOR BURGERS.

I'm having trouble getting the cheese to crust properly on the outside of the patty. Should I be cooking on low first, then high? Should I be using a specific type of pan? I'm using a cast iron.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Capsaicin posted:

I'm having trouble getting the cheese to crust properly on the outside of the patty. Should I be cooking on low first, then high? Should I be using a specific type of pan? I'm using a cast iron.

Keep it pretty high, and don't gently caress with it. Leave it to cook on one side, flip it, leave it. If you keep flipping and moving it around it wont get a crust.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Capsaicin posted:

Just made these again, today. Been using non-stick, but I see no reason why cast iron won't work. Cast iron takes a while to heat up, but the trade off is that it stays hot as hell for a long time.

Out of curiosity, and I don't know if it makes a difference, are you using aged cheddar, or the more malleable, softer kind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Anyone have any more recipes they would like to share? I loved the ones already posted, as in they're funny as hell.