Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Is there a demo or anything where I can check how it might run on my PC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

DrVenkman posted:

It's reasons like this that I wish I had a PC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSNDGLNqe3U

It's San Andreas recreated in GTA IV...and it looks really good.

If this came out, and then someone were somehow able to port the goon SZR server script over to this... I don't think I'd need to buy any other game for a decade. I mean, the OJ minigame with these physics! Rooftop races. Oh I want it so much.

One question I'd have though is will people be required to have ballad of gay tony for the parachutes or can they port parachutes back into GTAIV vanilla?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Zedd posted:

You need: High End Dual core
Nvidia 8800gt or better card
4gigs ram

I'm not sure what counts as "high-end", but I have the other two and GTA IV has never run better than maybe 30-40 FPS at medium settings. I gave up after a few times trying to play it, uninstalled it and put the disc away. I mean, I still have the 360 version (with a scratched-to-hell disc, thanks GameStop!) but it'd be nice to be able to use all the little mods for the PC version.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

What should I play first, Gay tony or TLATD

Splash Damage
May 23, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Play TLAD first as to not spoil it for yourself by the superior TBOGT

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

It's reasons like this that I wish I had a PC.

It's San Andreas recreated in GTA IV...and it looks really good.
I want to have the time to do this with GTA2's cities :allears:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Tewratomeh posted:

I'm not sure what counts as "high-end", but I have the other two and GTA IV has never run better than maybe 30-40 FPS at medium settings. I gave up after a few times trying to play it, uninstalled it and put the disc away. I mean, I still have the 360 version (with a scratched-to-hell disc, thanks GameStop!) but it'd be nice to be able to use all the little mods for the PC version.

30fps is perfectly fine though; hell that is a great framerate for dualcores due to the way the game is designed for 3+ cores.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Zedd posted:

30fps is perfectly fine though; hell that is a great framerate for dualcores due to the way the game is designed for 3+ cores.

I guess that's true, but it intermittently drops down to 20-25. It just feels choppy, like it'll run smooth for a bit and then start hiccuping and slowing down for a while. I may give it another shot now that I've upgraded my graphics card and tweaked my computer a bit.

edit: I tried the game again, and after the auto-update from GFWL the game now runs really smooth even with the default setting of medium/high. I'm getting no slowdown or hiccuping, it's actually playable. It's still not a fun game, but it's playable!

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 20, 2011

iCaPpY
Sep 18, 2007

WHERE'S
MY
CHIPPY??

Tewratomeh posted:

It's still not a fun game, but it's playable!

Wrong. Its a great game.

Im sure whatever they do with GTAV will be great, if they only improve on the current engine and have a new location I'd be happy.

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

ok so Racistman3D hasn't made a new video in a while and YCS is dead so let's make some more. I'll get the ball rolling(?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R2RgtB4tRg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3r0ONyScK4

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
If anyone's interested, San Andreas is today's daily deal on Steam. It's currently priced at $3.75 USD, though the sale is ending in about 3 1/2 hours.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/12120/

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Is there some trick to doing the barrel roll in the driving school at San Andreas? I've been trying all day and I'm about to go insane.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There is, it's called keep doing it until you get it right. The driving school is just plain retarded.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

If you're on PC, try turning the frame rate limiter off (or on if it's already off). It sounds retarded but it does actually make a difference.

nnnnghhhhgnnngh
Apr 6, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

There is, it's called keep doing it until you get it right. The driving school is just plain retarded.
Agreed, but it's nothing compared to the flying school. Also had some annoying components, just to unlock a flying mission that was ten times easier. I'm not seeing much logic to that.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Angry Boat posted:

ok so Racistman3D hasn't made a new video in a while and YCS is dead so let's make some more. I'll get the ball rolling(?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3r0ONyScK4

Well this is awesome good times.

Cray
Dec 3, 2010

Bioshuffle posted:

Is there some trick to doing the barrel roll in the driving school at San Andreas? I've been trying all day and I'm about to go insane.

webmeister posted:

If you're on PC, try turning the frame rate limiter off (or on if it's already off). It sounds retarded but it does actually make a difference.

Actually, you have to turn the frame limiter on for this one. There's a bug where at least some forms of movement are not entirely framerate-independent. In this case, the more FPS you have, the slower your car rotates in midair. When I was playing SA on a fast PC the barrel roll test was absolutely impossible until I turned the limiter on. After that I passed it on my first try.

On the other hand, the mission where you have to drive a bike inside a plane during takeoff becomes easier as your FPS increase, so turn the frame limiter off for that one.

Rascar
May 3, 2005
DICK

nnnnghhhhgnnngh posted:

Agreed, but it's nothing compared to the flying school. Also had some annoying components, just to unlock a flying mission that was ten times easier. I'm not seeing much logic to that.

Flying school was some bullshit, but it sure as hell didn't compare to the utter bullshit that is the final driving school mission. The one where you have to drive from one end of San Fierro to the other without stopping or hitting something. So terrible....

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Bronze in all school is really easy, with m+kb or a pad working fine for both.

City Slicking gold, flying fish gold can eat a disk though.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Cray posted:

Actually, you have to turn the frame limiter on for this one. There's a bug where at least some forms of movement are not entirely framerate-independent. In this case, the more FPS you have, the slower your car rotates in midair. When I was playing SA on a fast PC the barrel roll test was absolutely impossible until I turned the limiter on. After that I passed it on my first try.

That's loving bizarre my friend :wth: I've never personally had a problem with having the frame limiter off, haven't noticed a thing wrong

Cray
Dec 3, 2010

Lurchibles posted:

That's loving bizarre my friend :wth: I've never personally had a problem with having the frame limiter off, haven't noticed a thing wrong

Well, that was the only instance of high FPS breaking the game I encountered, plus it might have been fixed in a patch, plus vsync might also fix it. But at 200+ frames per second the car was rotating so slowly for me I would always land upside down. The plane form the Stowaway mission was also slowed down, making that mission much easier.

It's normal that when a game applies movement every frame it needs to take into account how much time has passed since the last frame, so that the movement speed remains consistent as the framerate changes. The implementation in SA is clearly hosed and it only becomes noticeable in the PC version.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
GTA classics (everything except IV) in the Steam Sale today, hooray!

On that note, are there any mods that make San Andreas look nicer?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

http://enbdev.com/download_en.htm does some stuff to it but I'm not a fan of it.

Game will never be truly pretty but once you get immersed you don't notice anyway.
Pure fun that game.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Lurchibles posted:

In VC, with the frame limiter off I couldn't reverse in a car or drive on sand.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

bort posted:

In VC, with the frame limiter off I couldn't reverse in a car or drive on sand.
And the loading times are horrendous.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Danger - Octopus! posted:

GTA classics (everything except IV) in the Steam Sale today, hooray!

On that note, are there any mods that make San Andreas look nicer?

I'm eagerly awaiting on the release of San Andreas with the IV engine:

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

Paradox Personified posted:

I'm eagerly awaiting on the release of San Andreas with the IV engine:

It does look exceptionally good. I really really hope we see Vice City remade in GTA IV. It's not as big as San Andreas so it shouldn't take as long *is hopeful*.

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

Made a few more videos. I have to say, I very much like the editor for how intuitive it is. I pretty much knew what to expect coming in, and it isn't very hard to adjust for certain difficulties like camera placement when the PC is moving out of range.

MEAN STREETS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MhnTbPLg5Y

I had a second one but the audio's been blocked for now.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

Anyone else seen this graphical GTA IV Mod? It looks loving fantastic!!! :haw:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I've encountered disappearing sounds in TLAD, like I'll be on a rampage and suddenly won't have gunfire or explosions. Anybody know what might be causing this? I didn't have that problem with GTAIV. Running an Audigy2 with most recent drivers if it matters.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
New GTASA with IV graphics vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVIlAsTjr1E&feature=player_embedded

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

If Rockstar just released that as their next game instead of a new GTA title, I'd be perfectly okay with that.

Seriously, I'd probably play it forever. As it is, I played San Andreas for like 2 solid years after it came out.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Himuro posted:

New GTASA with IV graphics vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVIlAsTjr1E&feature=player_embedded

Still looks amazing, but this video makes me realize how much you need pedestrians and traffic to make these environments feel like real places. I'd get bored pretty quickly just roaming around by myself with no one to blow up or run over. But gosh if they could port the goon san andreas server over to that I'd play another two years.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

If Rockstar just released that as their next game instead of a new GTA title, I'd be perfectly okay with that.

Seriously, I'd probably play it forever. As it is, I played San Andreas for like 2 solid years after it came out.

I dunno, I bought SA in the Steam sale a few weeks ago and I've slowly played my way through it. As great as the game still is, it's infuriating compared to modern iterations like Red Dead Redemption, Ballad of Gay Tony or even LA Noire. It really does feel like a 7 year old game at this point.

It still has save points, a health/armor bar, lose everything when you die, no cover system etc. Last night I did a 20-minute mission (Saint Mark's Bistro), most of which is just boring flying over water. After surviving the gun battle with a sliver of health and landing my plane back in Las Venturas, I decided to fly over to the save point. Knowing better than to land a plane on a road, I just flew over the save point and bailed out. Of course, as soon as I bailed out my phone rang, meaning that I couldn't pull the parachute until the "answer the phone" animation had finished playing, at which point I was a smear on the pavement. I nearly put my fist through the screen after that.

So yeah, the story is still awesome and the game was brilliant at the time, but it would need a lot of work to bring it up to a modern standard. Don't forget that awesome mission where you need to spend 20 minutes grinding up your underwater breathing skills!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

webmeister posted:

So yeah, the story is still awesome and the game was brilliant at the time, but it would need a lot of work to bring it up to a modern standard. Don't forget that awesome mission where you need to spend 20 minutes grinding up your underwater breathing skills!

That was the worst part of the entire game, I'm with you there (well, that and "All you had to do was follow the drat train, CJ!"). But the rest of the stuff you listed, I'm okay with all that. The last time I played through it was when I bought it on XBOX Live at like the end of '09. I was still just as in love with it then as I was when it came out. It was still a hell of a lot of fun for me to replay, which I can't say is true for GTA IV.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I actually prefer the no-cover style of the older gta games.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Zedd posted:

I actually prefer the no-cover style of the older gta games.

It was still available in IV. You just had to not get in cover, but for me it was all about the badass slide animations. Also, holding down the left trigger halfway to get precise but not auto-aiming aiming was loving boss. Dropping foots like blat-blat :bustem: never got old. Unlike SA, where headshots weren't always headshots iirc. Or like the head would explode. I don't recall precisely, but it's much more satisfying in IV, undeniably so with how fluid it was.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
If I had my way GTA5 won't have a stupid cover system.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Jefferoo posted:

It was still available in IV. You just had to not get in cover, but for me it was all about the badass slide animations. Also, holding down the left trigger halfway to get precise but not auto-aiming aiming was loving boss. Dropping foots like blat-blat :bustem: never got old. Unlike SA, where headshots weren't always headshots iirc. Or like the head would explode. I don't recall precisely, but it's much more satisfying in IV, undeniably so with how fluid it was.

Oh yes. I really love the stand-offs in IV and its extensions; I mean any situation where you're on foot and you can take your time finding out new ways of dealing with a large number of coppers/gangsters.

I'd have gladly accepted TBoGT as the main game and the Bellics' story an add-on. Great weaponry, especially the silenced MP. Easier on the ears when you're playing with headphones turned up (I like to hear the sound of the tyres on the road).

I heard there's some sort of steering wheel + gas pedal controller rig for the Wii. I wouldn't mind something like that, plus a really big screen for Xbox if the next GTA can take advantage of higher resolutions.

That day, my wife will finally lose any respect she has for me. A grown man slumped in a bucketseat ripped out of an old sportscar with a fake steering wheel and gas pedal, only letting go now and then to fire a H&K replica at the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
For my money, TBoGT's explosive automatic shotgun (a.k.a. the Carmelter) is the most fun weapon of the whole series. Once I unlocked it at my apartment I didn't use anything else for the rest of the game; it can decimate just about anything with alarming efficiency.

• Locked thread