Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Getting my first ever Design credit in a video game :smug:

I know it's kinda petty and meaningless over where your name shows up, but it's still pretty cool to see your name up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndm
Aug 31, 2001

:dukedog:
Any Las Vegas industry goons here? I've been searching for something out here but don't know anyone on the inside of the few companies that are here.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Finished my first freelance gig for ~the games industry~, so I'm official a game artist right? I'm also looking for a full time gig here around the LA area, hoping I find something soon :)

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011
Edit:

Okay yeah, I'm a huge moron and I didn't read the entire OP. Sorry about that, forgive my stupidity.

VVVVVVVV

Jetpack Postman fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 10, 2011

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Did you read the OP at all?

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

MustardFacial posted:

I know it's kinda petty and meaningless over where your name shows up, but it's still pretty cool to see your name up there.

Hey, you know what, cherish it, man. Seeing someone play a game you've made, or even better recognizing you from one of your games, creates a joyful buzz in your heart that rivals amphetamines.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

GetWellGamers posted:

Hey, you know what, cherish it, man. Seeing someone play a game you've made, or even better recognizing you from one of your games, creates a joyful buzz in your heart that rivals amphetamines.

I dunno dude, amphetamines are pretty great...:v:

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jul 10, 2011

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

MustardFacial posted:

I dunno dude, amphetamines are pretty great...:v:

I do know amphetamines are great, but the game one is still better. :haw:

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

MustardFacial posted:

It's not petty at all. Enjoy it, and I hope it is on a project you're proud of!

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

MustardFacial posted:

you gonna tell us what game it is or are you gonna be all secretive?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Solus posted:

you gonna tell us what game it is or are you gonna be all secretive?

I'll post the credits screenshot with my name when the game comes out

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Superrodan posted:

I hope it is on a project you're proud of!

Haha, yeah, this. :) One of the first games I worked on.

quote:

Virtually every technical and stylistic aspect of the game is either shoddily handled, or feels somehow incomplete.
:argh::hf::saddowns::hf::smithicide:

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
The Games Industry where 9/10 of us make 5/10 games :unsmith:

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Yeah I have a design credit on APB. :smith:

In my defence I just wrote/implemented missions.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Eh, I don't know. Had one on LEGO Universe. It squeaked by with a 7/10 on Metacritic because it's a kids game, so we got a lot of "well not for me but for kids..." sort of reviews.

... but there's still a lot there I can be proud of. Even with APB, stuff like the character customization system was amazing.

EDIT: VV Also check GameFaqs / Metacritic - they're rapidly becoming the new standard of where credits are listed.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 11, 2011

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Dragon Warrior VII, the first professional localization project I was ever involved in, featured me misspelling the word "it" in in-game dialogue.

I think that might be part of the reason I didn't make it into the credits on that one.

I forget at this point what my first actual credit was. It might've been Guilty Gear X on the GBA. I probably should've kept better tabs.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Check Giant Bomb or MobyGames.

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe

GetWellGamers posted:

I've watched the Gears 3 credits a good 30,000 times already to watch my name scroll by, and will likely watch them 30,000 times more. I knew that this would happen, but I was ill-prepared for the metric fuckload of joy that would accompany it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Funnily enough I implemented the credits in a game today. We're a bit fuzzy with job titles here so I didn't really know what to give myself. Went with Lead Programmer. Felt right.

Edit: Oh! And Aliginge finished the first day of his trial with us today. He is good with the drawings! And also having a name similar to Superman.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

typhus posted:

I've watched the Gears 3 credits a good 30,000 times already to watch my name scroll by, and will likely watch them 30,000 times more. I knew that this would happen, but I was ill-prepared for the metric fuckload of joy that would accompany it.

Our Artist credits end with me - I'm the only Weapon Artist on Red Faction Guerrilla and Armageddon, and so I'm on a line by myself, and nothing comes alphabetically after Weapon Artist :D I've done other stuff in addition to weapons (vehicles, walkers/exosuits, and some environment props) but I've done all the weapons on them (except for Mr. Toots the Unicorn, because I felt the character artists would do a better job since I was never a fan of the RFG Ostrich I did).

(what did you do on Gears? I am a huge Epic fanboy)

Seeing your name in the credits or seeing the game in a store is absolutely amazing. I don't know if it is like that for everyone, but for the really passionate folks that I know that's always been the payoff.

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 11, 2011

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Sigma-X posted:

Seeing your name in the credits or seeing the game in a store is absolutely amazing. I don't know if it is like that for everyone, but for the really passionate folks that I know that's always been the payoff.
It's one of the reasons I'm going to miss physical products. This, right here. You walk down to some massive brick and mortar store, your game is there sitting on the shelf, you buy it, rip it open, check the manual, and... there, right there, is your name :3:

XBLA/PSN/Steam is cool, but it just isn't the same, credits-wise. You never have a thing you can hold and give to relatives, etc.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Shalinor posted:

It's one of the reasons I'm going to miss physical products. This, right here. You walk down to some massive brick and mortar store, your game is there sitting on the shelf, you buy it, rip it open, check the manual, and... there, right there, is your name :3:

XBLA/PSN/Steam is cool, but it just isn't the same, credits-wise. You never have a thing you can hold and give to relatives, etc.

Sure there is. Just get some 5x5's printed and hand those out :v:

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
Yeah, in-game credits never did anything for me. The manual was where it was at. You couldn't patch the manual to add/remove people and it remained a physical testament to the blood and sweat that went into the game. The in-game ones just feel faker somehow, buried down in an options menu or some other tucked out of way place.

There's actually a minor tempest in a teacup brewing over the lack of credits in FB/social games. The younger developers are worried that their lack of credits will affect their future job prospects, and you have to soothe them by showing them your linkedin inbox full of recruiter spam looking to pick you up because you worked there (Not so stealth brag).

devilmouse fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 11, 2011

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Akuma posted:

Edit: Oh! And Aliginge finished the first day of his trial with us today. He is good with the drawings! And also having a name similar to Superman.

:suicide:

It was bloody weird doing a job that wasn't part time manual labour. It felt like I was skiving, jobs are supposed to suck. Then it turned 5:30 and I was like where did my day just go? :v:

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

Shalinor posted:

Make all your games for ipad.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Aliginge posted:

:suicide:

It was bloody weird doing a job that wasn't part time manual labour. It felt like I was skiving, jobs are supposed to suck. Then it turned 5:30 and I was like where did my day just go? :v:
Massive props dude. Glad you finally landed a position. Your art has improved substantially over the year or two you've hung around in here, and I imagine it'll only improve further from here.

Demitri Omni posted:

Make all your games for ipad.
Someday, maybe. In about a year, when there's (likely) a premium iPad exlusive marketplace? That might be cool, at least for some games.

EDIT: VV It's still progress to land even a trial position. Even if this doesn't go through for whatever reason, you'll get it eventually.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 11, 2011

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Shalinor posted:

Massive props dude. Glad you finally landed a position. Your art has improved substantially over the year or two you've hung around in here, and I imagine it'll only improve further from here.

Not counting chickens yet, still very much a trial for the rest of this week.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
So, while I'm waiting on getting into a proper college to learn stuff, is XNA a good thing to learn? I got a simple book about basic game programming in XNA, and it seems pretty good, but the book doesn't go past 2d games. If you'd recommend it, are there any good books I could use to learn some 3d design in XNA (and possibly some good 3d modeling books/tutorials as well, I really want to learn modeling but I have so far not been able to wrap my head around any 3d modeling program UIs)?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Aliginge posted:

Not counting chickens yet, still very much a trial for the rest of this week.

Good luck to you still, it'll be nice to hear that one of us grads made it. :toot:
(Also success stories are very inspiring!)

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Anyone from Toronto here? The local IGDA just announced a new event called Fund in the Sun which looks to be pretty neat! Good opportunity to get a better idea of how to deal with the OMDC IDM fund and what kind of competition candidates are up against. And then beer.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Shalinor posted:

Someday, maybe. In about a year, when there's (likely) a premium iPad exlusive marketplace? That might be cool, at least for some games.

This will never happen.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

eeenmachine posted:

This will never happen.
Care to put some money on that? ;)

Average premium title pricing is going up, not down. I realize your company is heavily invested in F2P on iOS (and that it's doing quite well for you), and I am not suggesting that market will go anywhere. I am also not suggesting that the premium market will be anywhere near as lucrative, just like I'd never say that any core-focused market would out-perform a more casual/social market.

EDIT: ... and if it wasn't clear, I am in no way suggesting some kind of new AppStore just for iPad or anything, by "marketplace" I meant target market. Unfortunate phrasing.

EDIT: VV Ah, no. I think it'd be a good thing, but I can't see it happening. I just mean a market tier emerging of $10-$15 core games with depth comparable to offerings on Steam, XBLA/PSN, etc.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 12, 2011

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Shalinor posted:

Care to put some money on that? ;)

Average premium title pricing is going up, not down. I realize your company is heavily invested in F2P on iOS (and that it's doing quite well for you), and I am not suggesting that market will go anywhere. I am also not suggesting that the premium market will be anywhere near as lucrative, just like I'd never say that any core-focused market would out-perform a more casual/social market.

EDIT: ... and if it wasn't clear, I am in no way suggesting some kind of new AppStore just for iPad or anything, by "marketplace" I meant target market. Unfortunate phrasing.
I thought you meant a roped off "premium section" of the app store with higher prices and more curated content like so many people have claimed is coming for the last few years.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Re: credits - the feeling of seeing yourself in credits is pretty much second only to signing a box for someone who is just THAT loving EXCITED that they got to meet you and get your signature. Holy poo poo, it took like a week to come down off that ego trip. And then you read the forums and it brings you back to earth with a nice solid thump.

I'd also recommend that if your company gives you an opportunity to do front-line CS you take it. I spent my day doing that today (first half with ingame support and second half manning the phones with account services). It was very enlightening because it's simply a very different set of pain points than you'd expect and exist in different lines of work. I did support in college on computers and the difference in both the quality of service rendered and what was expected on the customer end was night and day. Definitely enlightening and worth the time.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

wodin posted:

Re: credits - the feeling of seeing yourself in credits is pretty much second only to signing a box for someone who is just THAT loving EXCITED that they got to meet you and get your signature.

I've never had an autograph asked of me, but I remember being on vacation in Utah, wearing my Blizzard hoodie and playing Metal Slug in a bar while I waited for our food to get put up, when I hear from a few tables away "Dude, do you really work for Blizzard?"
"Yeah."
"...You mind if I wear your skin and assume your identity?"
I just laughed, but in an odd way I was flattered.

Actually, that bring up a question for you guys- what do you think about wearing company gear around in public? For me, so many crazy-nerd fans wear stuff with games emblazoned on them that I kind of don't want to be lumped in with them. At work, sure, I always like to fly my colors :whatup: but on the weekends and stuff I usually leave them in the closet. The only reason I was wearing my hoodie on vacation is because it gets nasty cold up in the mountains and the hoodies we got from the company store are really, really nice and they've got those huge stomach-pockets I really love. (Speaking of which, any Blizz peeps in the thread, mine finally disintegrated and I'd pay nice to get another one.)

I mean, I'm proud of the work I do and all, but does anyone else feel odd about wearing industry clothes to non-industry places?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

GetWellGamers posted:

For me, so many crazy-nerd fans wear stuff with games emblazoned on them that I kind of don't want to be lumped in with them ... The only reason I was wearing my hoodie on vacation is because it gets nasty cold up in the mountains and the hoodies we got from the company store are really, really nice and they've got those huge stomach-pockets I really love.
I wear my LEGO Universe jacket around in the winters because it's a really, really nice jacket. Super comfy, really warm, just all around nice. Similarly, my LU shirts are in my regular t-shirt rotation just because they don't scream LEGO on the front with nothing else - there's some nice art on them, the only actual logo/name is smallish on the top back.

... but for the shirts (like Blizzard, Insomniac, most studios without a strong logo / whose logo is just their name) that just have the name across the front or back? Yeah, screw that, I feel like a super nerd.

It is fun to get the occasional question, though.

:confused: "Where does someone get a LEGO jacket?"
:j: "You work for them"
:aaa: "..."

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 12, 2011

Archetype
Feb 4, 2003

The once gutter trash Dark Hero has risen, like a freakish garbage phoenix, to capture our hearts again.

wodin posted:

Re: credits - the feeling of seeing yourself in credits is pretty much second only to signing a box for someone who is just THAT loving EXCITED that they got to meet you and get your signature. Holy poo poo, it took like a week to come down off that ego trip.

I got to attend my studio's PAX East party and mingle with the fans who were invited or won tickets. Some of them asked me to sign their swag. I'd say, "You sure? I'm just QA..." and they'd be all "OMG! PLEASE!" It was quite endearing. :shobon:

Gear-wise, I keep my logo sweatshirt at the office because my room is usually cold. It's an awesome symbol since only the people who have worked there at least a year get them.

Robotic Accolade
Jul 23, 2007

EDF! EDF! EDF!

Demitri Omni posted:

So, while I'm waiting on getting into a proper college to learn stuff, is XNA a good thing to learn? I got a simple book about basic game programming in XNA, and it seems pretty good, but the book doesn't go past 2d games. If you'd recommend it, are there any good books I could use to learn some 3d design in XNA (and possibly some good 3d modeling books/tutorials as well, I really want to learn modeling but I have so far not been able to wrap my head around any 3d modeling program UIs)?

For what it's worth XNA got me a programming job, and from what I've seen so far you can learn quite a bit once you dig into it. It still holds your hand a lot of the time but a lot of core concepts about what you're doing and why look pretty similar to DirectX/OpenGL. As for books there's plenty out there but I actually learned a lot going through the tutorials here: http://www.riemers.net/

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

zacpol posted:

A kid from my high school went to the University of Advanced Technology, and wanted to get a job making video games. He was also the kind of kid who played WoW in class and made horrible photoshops of flaming swords. Can someone tell me how this school is? I can't imagine all that legit if they offer a class on how to lead a guild.

Horror stories preferred, please.
Speaking as a graduate, it's a school that gives you exactly what you put into it. They provide great facilities, opportunities to engage with people in the industry, flexibility with classes, and plenty of chances to organize your own projects. If you can find a group of dedicated people to hang out with and learn from while there, they will do everything in their power to help get your connections. For instance, I got into a UT mod while there (COR Project), and the school got us contacts, printed off material, and even flew us to GDC so that we could have a presence there and even talk with Epic. It was amazing. I think a good 90% of the students on that project (including myself) now work full time in the industry.

But that kinda drives home my point that you get out of the school exactly what you put into it. With such a game-friendly atmosphere, the school definitely does attract its fair share of nerds, basement dwellers, and unmotivated slugs that simply want to waste their parents' money by playing CS in the commons. Most of those guys are the ones who will end up right back at home. But if you're a dedicated student who really, really wants to make something of yourself, the staff there will stop at nothing to help prepare and get you in the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Shalinor posted:

You know, even as a major Steam proponent, I can level with this. For my folks, I think my success felt a little ethereal and "unreal" to them, because I couldn't hand them a box and tell them "this is what I worked on". It wasn't until I was able to point at a bank statement and show them Recettear's insane initial harvest of boondollars that it really sank in for them.

While I love DD, there are a few aspect of physical publishing that do make me a little wistful. Being able to point at an object and say "mine" has a certain, basic appeal to it.