Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Carlisle posted:

They don't push guys because they aren't selling merch but the guys don't sell merch because they never get pushed.

iirc When London and Kendrick were tag champs they weren't selling any merch. At least that was the claim in their highspots shoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Trollologist posted:

iirc When London and Kendrick were tag champs they weren't selling any merch. At least that was the claim in their highspots shoot.

I don't even think there was any London and Kendrick merch to be sold.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

TL posted:

I don't even think there was any London and Kendrick merch to be sold.

They eventually got a t-shirt late in the game including their Hooligan saying, "We're here but we're not all there".

Where the WWE goofed is that cheap versions of their Mortal Kombat masks would have sold HUGE to kids and it took Vince a near year to realize they were wearing them and then told them to stop it.

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly
I read something a while back about an incident involving Buff Bagwell getting his arse handed to him in the dressing room one night by a group of guys when he joined the WWE.

I recently watched a shoot interview with him and there was no mention of it but a few times during said interview Bagwell was uncomfortable with certain questions and never answered them, so I'm wondering if anyone else has heard anything about this and who was involved ?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

El Patron posted:

I read something a while back about an incident involving Buff Bagwell getting his arse handed to him in the dressing room one night by a group of guys when he joined the WWE.

I recently watched a shoot interview with him and there was no mention of it but a few times during said interview Bagwell was uncomfortable with certain questions and never answered them, so I'm wondering if anyone else has heard anything about this and who was involved ?

I believe he got into an altercation with Helms at a gym while the other wrestlers he just didn't mesh with at all. He also faked an injury and his mother called WWF offices to tell them it was real, all the while he avoided doctors.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
former title contender Judy Bagwell's integrity is beyond reproach

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly

Lone Rogue posted:

I believe he got into an altercation with Helms at a gym while the other wrestlers he just didn't mesh with at all. He also faked an injury and his mother called WWF offices to tell them it was real, all the while he avoided doctors.

He mentions that in the shoot interview, I'm pretty sure Helms was nursing an injury with a bag of ice or something when they both got into an argument, Bagwell claims he turned away and Helms launched it at him and it split the back of his head open.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
At the time I entirely blamed Bagwell but these days, seeing how those Carolina boys are huge stupid rednecks, I guess I'll blame both.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That why I don't tend to take those sort of stories to heart and use them to form opinions of guys. It usually comes down to you pinning the blame on the guy you like less and think is more of an rear end in a top hat. But as time goes on it just seems clearer than 9 out of 10 guys are just as bad as the next.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

El Patron posted:

He mentions that in the shoot interview, I'm pretty sure Helms was nursing an injury with a bag of ice or something when they both got into an argument, Bagwell claims he turned away and Helms launched it at him and it split the back of his head open.
It was a bottle of frozen water, I think.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Reading a boring Q&A with Diana Hart, this made me laugh

quote:

MaryM: In your younger days, if you could have been involved in women's wrestling as it is today, would you?

Diana Hart: I would have seen myself as a female version of Owen and Bret put together. I think that would still be marketable today.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
What are some stories of Austin Aries being a huge jerk outside of the ring, like to fans.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

KungFu Grip posted:

What are some stories of Austin Aries being a huge jerk outside of the ring, like to fans.

i don't know any specifics but there's stories about people congratulating him after a match if they see him after the show, "great match" that kind of poo poo and he'll be like "how do you know its a great match?" and interrogate the guy about it or something. he's real weird

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
How did certain moves get named? For example Russian leg sweep or german suplex. I know some are named from gimmicks of the wrestlers but those two always make me think.

Also, was Jerry Lynn and RVD the originators of the famed 'indy standoff' spot?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

MisterGBH posted:

=Also, was Jerry Lynn and RVD the originators of the famed 'indy standoff' spot?

It's been in wrestling for a long time. It was never an indie thing, it's just the indies over did it.

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

MisterGBH posted:

How did certain moves get named? For example Russian leg sweep or german suplex. I know some are named from gimmicks of the wrestlers but those two always make me think.

Also, was Jerry Lynn and RVD the originators of the famed 'indy standoff' spot?

The German suplex is related to Karl Gotch in some way, whether he created it or popularised it to the point it became "his" I dunno. Odd what with him being Belgian but I guess a Belgian suplex sounds a bit boring.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Lone Rogue posted:

It's been in wrestling for a long time. It was never an indie thing, it's just the indies over did it.

And then they perfected it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JMeKSjBYQY&feature=related

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

KungFu Grip posted:

I decided to google search it and found TJ Perkins formspring, who says "Im not sure i should touch that one". The boys don't even like him!

I still love him

e: I know he doesn't shake hands with fans

ChampRamp fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 11, 2011

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

KungFu Grip posted:

There was the documentary of an ROH security guard and these two idiot fans were mad at Aries and confronted him after the show. Aries knocked them right the lovin' out.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Moose Bigelow posted:

There was the documentary of an ROH security guard and these two idiot fans were mad at Aries and confronted him after the show. Aries knocked them right the lovin' out.

If by documentary you mean staged, scripted "reality" show for TruTV, sure.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

El Duke posted:

If by documentary you mean staged, scripted "reality" show for TruTV, sure.

Actuality :colbert:

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

One time I was yelling at Austin Aries as he came to the ring, then he stopped, looked at me and kicked the steel railing in front of me. It was alarming. He is a brute :(

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

He kicked the railing because he couldn't see over it and didn't know you were there. He thought the railing was yelling at him.

Also, he is short.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

The Shaman of Cum posted:

i don't know any specifics but there's stories about people congratulating him after a match if they see him after the show, "great match" that kind of poo poo and he'll be like "how do you know its a great match?" and interrogate the guy about it or something. he's real weird

A year or two ago after the Wrestlemania weekend shows, Bryan Alvarez was out at a bar with a lot of the ROH guys. He approached Aries who I think was drunk, telling him how much he enjoyed his match, and Aries starting being a dick to him saying "What makes you think you can judge matches?" and stuff like that.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Perigryn posted:

It was a bottle of frozen water, I think.

Speaking of, why do people hate on the hurricane so much? I just think the gimmick is goofy and spices up an otherwise unremarkable midcarder.

Plus, I dig his theme. It's all just so goofy.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

LordPants posted:

Speaking of, why do people hate on the hurricane so much? I just think the gimmick is goofy and spices up an otherwise unremarkable midcarder.

He used to be fun. Then he came back as gritty 90s reboot Hurricane and was fat and lovely.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Grant DaNasty posted:

A year or two ago after the Wrestlemania weekend shows, Bryan Alvarez was out at a bar with a lot of the ROH guys. He approached Aries who I think was drunk, telling him how much he enjoyed his match, and Aries starting being a dick to him saying "What makes you think you can judge matches?" and stuff like that.
Hilarious considering Alvarez is a worker.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

He used to be fun. Then he came back as gritty 90s reboot Hurricane and was fat and lovely.

That and he kind of ruined himself for everyone when he revealed how much of an rear end in a top hat he is on Twitter.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Hirams Bitch posted:

He kicked the railing because he couldn't see over it and didn't know you were there. He thought the railing was yelling at him.

Also, he is short.

Well in that case, he's a sweetheart and has never wronged me. That railing had it coming.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?
If Aries does that, that's not only rude, but dumb. Guy has to learn to take a compliment and learn that it's possible to critique something intelligently without having to do it professionally.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Satire Forum Mom posted:

If Aries does that, that's not only rude, but dumb. Guy has to learn to take a compliment and learn that it's possible to critique something intelligently without having to do it professionally.

He apparently was completely trashed, for what it's worth.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I like the idea of heels ensuring that fans can't compliment them, but I'm old school like that.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

LordPants posted:

There's also his association with the "Omega"/Hardy tard crew, in addition to the other stuff people have already said.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Also when he wrestles on the indies, much like Matt Hardy, his style becomes very Firepro-ish, busting out every Japanese move he can think of. Helms lacks psychology.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Lone Rogue posted:

I like the idea of heels ensuring that fans can't compliment them, but I'm old school like that.

I'm with you here. And so what if he IS a dick? Some people are, some people aren't. He's awesome at his job, so I don't need to like him in real life. If he really is an rear end in a top hat, he'd be like the reverse John Cena - awesome in the ring, not so much in real life.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

I came across this which is probably just a road photo circa 1996. Who is the guy above Paul Bearer and next to HBK? And who is the guy above Triple H next to Nash?

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

Bearnt! posted:

I came across this which is probably just a road photo circa 1996. Who is the guy above Paul Bearer and next to HBK? And who is the guy above Triple H next to Nash?

Waltman and Henry Godwin I think.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Phenix Rising posted:

I'm with you here. And so what if he IS a dick? Some people are, some people aren't. He's awesome at his job, so I don't need to like him in real life. If he really is an rear end in a top hat, he'd be like the reverse John Cena - awesome in the ring, not so much in real life.

This isn't 1995, so being a complete dick can kill your career mobility.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Bearnt! posted:

I loving love this picture. It's so much fun looking at Paul Bearer apparently getting drunk with Gerald Brisco, Triple H looking a little awkward, and Undertaker being dead-center (heh) in the back looking like a bad-rear end.

I keep forgetting, is that guy next to the Undertaker Jim Neidhart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Grendels Dad posted:

I loving love this picture. It's so much fun looking at Paul Bearer apparently getting drunk with Gerald Brisco, Triple H looking a little awkward, and Undertaker being dead-center (heh) in the back looking like a bad-rear end.

I keep forgetting, is that guy next to the Undertaker Jim Neidhart?
I dunno, I was wondering about that guy myself. Austin and Hall/Nash in the same picture narrows down the time frame at least; it has to be around early '96 or very late '95.