Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

AltronHGX posted:

I'm pretty sure it had a lot more to do with his father and him realizing he's outlived him.

That sounds like something that could be worked out in therapy though.

And way much more so than an attempt on your own life, psychologically speaking.

And I'm no psycholologist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Artie was never going to therapy.

Statistically, the biggest motivator for drug addicts to try to make major changes in their lives and try to get clean, it's hitting rock bottom and having a near death experience- which Artie definitely did. He looks and sounds a million times better so who knows, he probably is trying now :unsmith:

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
As a former heroin addict myself I can say that you guys are completely wrong.

I know exactly what place here was in when it happened. The junk is the worst poo poo ever to kick. You would honestly rather die that go through the withdrawals. It is seriously like your body is dying while you are still alive. I have gone through it a couple of times in my life and I have seriously considered stabbing myself to death just to end the torment.

After a certain point you don't want to be on it anymore but for various reasons you just can't. I am sure that was were Artie was. Couple that with his family issues, work and you have a bad place to be in.

It sounds like the help he is getting is doing the trick. Hopefully it sticks and he slowly reemerges in showbiz. Last thing he needs is to go back on the road and get back into that lifestyle. And as much as I love the show it is seriously not the place for someone like Artie anymore.

RoughDraft2.0
Mar 8, 2007

We really like your car, Mrs. LaRusso.
The show contributed heavily to Artie's rock bottom plunge, and Howard knows it.

His behavior was glorified and encouraged, which only gave Artie positive enforcement. After 30 years of exploitation, this is the one time Howard actually feels guilty about it. That's why he hasn't been back, and that's why Howard will probably never feel comfortable putting him back in the chair.

This doesn't even address the dangers of taking an addict and putting him in a position where he has to get up at 4 a.m. every morning. It doesn't fit.

Artie sounded happy and healthy on the Fox show. I think an afternoon slot talking sports would be perfect for him. Let him do the guest spot on Stern to close that book, but speaking as a huge fan, I hope he never, ever permanently returns to the show. It's poison.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

RoughDraft2.0 posted:

This doesn't even address the dangers of taking an addict and putting him in a position where he has to get up at 4 a.m. every morning. It doesn't fit.

But don't you see? Fans expect the show the be on for morning drive because the only time people can listen is while in their car.

Cutting the show back to 3 days out of 7 just makes more sense.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Djarum posted:

As a former heroin addict myself I can say that you guys are completely wrong.

Artie attempted suicide once, years before he ever started heroin. Drugs were just one aspect of his fifty problems. He managed to work for a long time on cocaine and heroin, plus he was taking subutex to help with withdrawals. I'm guessing he was let go from Sirius at the end of 2009, or at least given a leave of absence to get his poo poo together, and that had a lot to do with his state of mind.

But no one really knows but Artie. The story should sell a lot of books.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Vakal posted:

But don't you see? Fans expect the show the be on for morning drive because the only time people can listen is while in their car.

Cutting the show back to 3 days out of 7 just makes more sense.

I never really understood once Howard moved to Satellite why he didn't change the shows start time to like 8. The show replays all day anyway. Make everyone's lives more enjoyable. It can not be that fun waking up at 4AM everyday. I don't care if you are use to it or not.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Just a reminder but Artie looked like this on his last few days of the show.

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008
Jimmy Kimmel: Eric, haven't you ever thought about coming and seeing New York and visiting the studio?

Howard: We've offered it to him.

Kimmel: Uh-huh. And you say no, Eric?

Eric the Midget: I'm--not that--not exactly, no. You know, I--I would do it, you know, if the right opportunity came...

Artie: Haven't you ever wanted to come to New York and see the bottom 20 inches of every building?

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Is this going to be a two week vacation?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Sour Shoes show Monday at 7 pm.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Burden posted:

I never really understood once Howard moved to Satellite why he didn't change the shows start time to like 8. The show replays all day anyway. Make everyone's lives more enjoyable. It can not be that fun waking up at 4AM everyday. I don't care if you are use to it or not.
I don't understand it either. I would listen to the west coast feed starting at 9 (est) so I could listen over the internet at work. I didn't even listen to it in my car, I would listen to music or one of the other channels for my drive. I do remember during the Artie missing a ton of shows era I would get in my car at 6am to go to the gym and flip it on and my day would be ruined when I found out Artie wasn't in. I would start cursing in my car like Ziggy did when he shot that guy in the Wire I was so mad.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

To the guy who keeps recommending the Joe Rogan podcast: I religiously listen to the Fitzsimmons and Adam Carolla podcasts and can't bring myself to listen to Rogan because of his idiotic "we never landed on the moon" drugged out conspiracy theory horseshit. Mind you, I skip Carolla when he starts gets into his political rants. I don't need millionaires living in rich first world countries telling me "how it is".

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

lynch_69 posted:

To the guy who keeps recommending the Joe Rogan podcast: I religiously listen to the Fitzsimmons and Adam Carolla podcasts and can't bring myself to listen to Rogan because of his idiotic "we never landed on the moon" drugged out conspiracy theory horseshit. Mind you, I skip Carolla when he starts gets into his political rants. I don't need millionaires living in rich first world countries telling me "how it is".

His wife's podcast is even more off base. "How to raise two kids with no job, several million in the bank, and a nanny."

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

lynch_69 posted:

Do podcasts pay that much? Are those two millionaires? drat...

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008

lynch_69 posted:

can't bring myself to listen to Rogan because of his idiotic "we never landed on the moon" drugged out conspiracy theory horseshit.

Wasn't it someone on Bubba who said of Brent "There's nothing worse than a stoner who reads"?

I say this as someone who mostly knows Bubba from these threads. I may be misremembering, misquoting, or misattributing.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

AxeManiac posted:

Do podcasts pay that much? Are those two millionaires? drat...

Are you joking or really don't know? Carolla had Loveline and The Man Show while Rogan does UFC commentary, Fear Factor, standup and other stuff. I wouldn't say either is exorbitantly rich but they're definitely well off and I have no doubt their net worth is at least 7 figures.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Crotch Bat posted:

Are you joking or really don't know? Carolla had Loveline and The Man Show while Rogan does UFC commentary, Fear Factor, standup and other stuff. I wouldn't say either is exorbitantly rich but they're definitely well off and I have no doubt their net worth is at least 7 figures.

I'd imagine they are still pretty low on the pay scale, they are doing pod casts after all. There is some money in it, but poo poo, they say on their own sites they get paid poo poo.

Loveline couldn't have paid poo poo, it was radio, Carolla talked about it constantly that they paid him and Drew nothing. The Man show was a basic cable show on a network known for low balling people, I figured they are both rich, sure, but not really like rich enough to make fun of them for it.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

AxeManiac posted:

I'd imagine they are still pretty low on the pay scale, they are doing pod casts after all. There is some money in it, but poo poo, they say on their own sites they get paid poo poo.

Loveline couldn't have paid poo poo, it was radio, Carolla talked about it constantly that they paid him and Drew nothing. The Man show was a basic cable show on a network known for low balling people, I figured they are both rich, sure, but not really like rich enough to make fun of them for it.

Rogan had two very lucrative network gigs, one of them ending up in syndication, plus he's a name so I'm sure he's getting some good bank for stand-up.

Carolla had a very good radio contract with his own show (he was supposed to be the west coast replacement for Stern after all), not that it lasted very long. The lifestyle he enjoys does seem to be a bit above his pay grade though.

Not Hollywood royalty, but wealthy nonetheless.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Carolla has a massive multi-storey custom built garage filled with rare and expensive sports cars - Ferraris, Lamborghinis and all that poo poo. He brags about it all the time. He's not Howard Stern or Jay Leno wealthy, but he's easily a millionaire. Not that there's anything wrong with being wealthy, but he comes off as a disingenuous shitheel when he starts ranting about bootstraps and Mexicans.

When Howard does it it's funny to laugh at how out of touch Old Man Stern is. When Carolla does it I just get angry. But other than that I love his podcast, he is a great interviewer and consistently makes me laugh.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Crotch Bat posted:

Keep in mind though the fact that Rogan lit his career on fire and crashed it into Carlos Mencia's living room a while back. That put a pretty big dent in his earnings for a while.

(Although, Fear Factor is coming back, either this fall or as a summer replacement. They're casting now.)

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

AxeManiac posted:

I'd imagine they are still pretty low on the pay scale, they are doing pod casts after all. There is some money in it, but poo poo, they say on their own sites they get paid poo poo

Joe mostly views his podcast as a way of not doing morning radio shows at gigs around the country. He also routinely does 2-3 hour podcasts 2-3 times a week. Homeboy loves to talk, so I'm sure that plays into it as well.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Rogan is also a huge Stern fan. But his podcast is very entertaining, especially if you enjoy crazy discussions. Rogan also isn't like a conspiracy nut, but views "both sides" or whatever. I see what he means about the moon landing, and he doesn't subscribe to it entirely. He may not be for a lot of people, but his podcast is probably my favorite.

Also don't know how he would be hard up for cash considering his UFC gig (along with reusing his voice for reruns and such) has probably netted him as much money as his other TV gigs.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Yeah, I really doubt sometimes if we landed on the Moon, because I like to look at both sides.

Sometimes I look at creationism and feel the same way.

Need Buzz Aldrin to punch him in the face.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002
"I invented moon landings and conspiracies revolving around man not actually landing on the moon"

-Howard Stern

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

-Atom- posted:

Joe mostly views his podcast as a way of not doing morning radio shows at gigs around the country. He also routinely does 2-3 hour podcasts 2-3 times a week. Homeboy loves to talk, so I'm sure that plays into it as well.

Yup. To whoever was asking if podcasts pay good money, Joe Rogan literally started his podcasts for fun, it wasn't for 4-5 months down the line he got a sponsorship from Fleshflight. I don't know how Carolla's works but it sounds more "legit"- as in someone might be paying him (please correct me if I'm wrong), whereas Rogan's is absolutely 100% self produced. He bought all his equipment, he books all his guests, and his sidekick manpanion (that he's known for like 15 years) does all the technical stuff and behind the scenes stuff to get it recorded, online, etc.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002
listening to the Eric the Midget clips where he blames Natalie Maines for those whores not loving him.

Good poo poo, here's the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_nZnxT0kLg&NR=1

this is actually the second part, I'm listening to it now and feeling too lazy to link to the first.

Great Midget poo poo though.

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP

chiz posted:

listening to the Eric the Midget clips where he blames Natalie Maines for those whores not loving him.

Good poo poo, here's the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_nZnxT0kLg&NR=1

this is actually the second part, I'm listening to it now and feeling too lazy to link to the first.

Great Midget poo poo though.

I started listening there and I'm to the point where Eric says he's going to butt gently caress Natalie Maines if she doesn't apologize.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH7S8jmpgSU

I've laughed more from these handful of clips than a week of the current show :(

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

JOHNNY FRATTO IS A SVENGALI, HE'S A MASTER MANIPULATOR

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
Sour Shoes is on 101

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Streebs posted:

I started listening there and I'm to the point where Eric says he's going to butt gently caress Natalie Maines if she doesn't apologize.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH7S8jmpgSU

I've laughed more from these handful of clips than a week of the current show :(

I like to think that, in his darker moments, Eric the Midget tries to call Natalie up to 'apologize' so he can 'forgive her' and only get one hit single.

geera
May 20, 2003

sedative posted:

Sour Shoes is on 101
I started to listen to this but felt like I was stroking out 10 minutes in to it. Sour Shoes is awesome, but his show last night made my head hurt.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

There was some show on Sunday afternoon on 101 that I've never heard of. Kagan? Nagan? Does anyone know?

AndIRanSoFarAway
Mar 31, 2011
drat Beth has so much space in between her implants. Sure Howie, they've never been touched by a surgeon.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.

FogHelmut posted:

There was some show on Sunday afternoon on 101 that I've never heard of. Kagan? Nagan? Does anyone know?

Abe Kanan or something like that. It's been on for a while now with no mention from anyone. I have no idea who he is.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
What is that terrible music that Fred plays sometimes when Robin is talking? Sounds like a New Orleans funeral brass band or something.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

an adult beverage posted:

What is that terrible music that Fred plays sometimes when Robin is talking? Sounds like a New Orleans funeral brass band or something.

It's from the Easter procession/parade in Guatemala. It's a really big deal there.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

FogHelmut posted:

It's from the Easter procession/parade in Guatemala. It's a really big deal there.

No but there's a new one, isn't it some other wacked-out Robin thing from her last Ayahuasca-filled adventure

musclecoder posted:

Abe Kanan or something like that. It's been on for a while now with no mention from anyone. I have no idea who he is.
Because it's horrible.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski
So I'm guessing they're still on vacation this week, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, the mid-summer and late-December breaks are always two weeks long.