Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

fear not failure, fear only the limitations of our dreams

My friend has a problem with using the latest redsn0w to jailbreak (with the ipad baseband hack) his iphone 3g, 5.15 baseband. Unfortunately it gets all the way, but once it reboots and hits the apple loading screen, it freezes and doesn't move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

LuckySevens posted:

My friend has a problem with using the latest redsn0w to jailbreak (with the ipad baseband hack) his iphone 3g, 5.15 baseband. Unfortunately it gets all the way, but once it reboots and hits the apple loading screen, it freezes and doesn't move.
I would imagine it's because he has the iPad baseband on his iPhone.

That was why people were warned not to do that.

Edit- or are you saying an update to redsn0w broke a previously JB'd version? If so, then I dunno. Maybe redsn0w no longer supports that?

Diafthora
Sep 22, 2003

All I wanted to do was introduce him to Mr. Axe

Arrowsmith posted:

When you try to open the folder, does the icon slightly animate? This sometimes happens when I'm rearranging icons, and what has always worked for me is double-tapping the folder.

No, I can't even click on it. Also when I press and hold other icons/folders, they all shake whereas the problem folder won't do anything.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I'm trying to restore my iPhone but I'm getting a "couldn't restore iphone error 1645" message. Do I need to restore in recovery mode?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

theblackw0lf posted:

I'm trying to restore my iPhone but I'm getting a "couldn't restore iphone error 1645" message. Do I need to restore in recovery mode?
Couldn't hurt. Delete any gs.apple.com entries in your host file too. Were you jailbroken before? If you were and had wi-fi sync, get rid of that too.

FiTreDawG
Oct 7, 2006
We Are... Marshall
I think the new Ipad2 JB broke iBooks again. The fix in cydia didn't seem to help. Any advice?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

FiTreDawG posted:

I think the new Ipad2 JB broke iBooks again. The fix in cydia didn't seem to help. Any advice?

My iBooks works fine. Ipad2, jailbreakme.com

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008

randyest posted:

Same

plumpy
Dec 5, 2005
Ugh, I've been stuck in jailbreak-restore mode-dfu-whatever limbo for hours now. Every time I try to update, either using a snowbreeze generated 4.3.3 or the stock apple 4.3.3 I get an error (1000 something?) in iTunes, and cant seem to get the phone to a state that doesn't have the 'connect to iTunes' stuff going on. Any advice here on how to get to 4.3.3 with the old modem firmware? I'm currently back to 4.1 with the old (1.59.00) modem firmware that I'd like to keep, if thats possible.

Hermi On Me
Dec 30, 2002

That's totally barbaric!

plumpy posted:

Ugh, I've been stuck in jailbreak-restore mode-dfu-whatever limbo for hours now. Every time I try to update, either using a snowbreeze generated 4.3.3 or the stock apple 4.3.3 I get an error (1000 something?) in iTunes, and cant seem to get the phone to a state that doesn't have the 'connect to iTunes' stuff going on. Any advice here on how to get to 4.3.3 with the old modem firmware? I'm currently back to 4.1 with the old (1.59.00) modem firmware that I'd like to keep, if thats possible.
Just did this yesterday to preserve my iPhone 4 baseband, but I used Pwnagetool. Once I got the connect to itunes stuff on my phone, I held the power button and the home button together for 10 secs, then released the power button (the top button) and held the home button for another 10 secs. The screen should look like its off. Then Pwnagetool finished it up for me.

I'm on 4.3.3 now with the 1.59.00 baseband, with Ultrasnow installed to fix signal bar issue, but now I can't send or receive any MMS texts, and occasionally my phone doesn't ring when I get a call. I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to fix this, short of updating my baseband or just uninstalling Ultrasnow, but I'd like to keep my unlock if possible.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

randyest posted:

Works fine? Is this just iBooks opening, opening a PDF, opening an un-protected book, or opening a DRM-protected book?

I love how sloppy and hosed documentation is on this. Where would one go for real information on this? Is there some official wiki?

What I know:

iOS 4.1:
iBooks DRM is partially hosed. It sometimes tells you to re-download the program.
Fix: ???
Closing and re-opening sometimes worked.

iOS 4.2.x:
limera1n: iBooks DRM is broke.
greenpois0n: iBooks DRM is broke.
redsn0w: iBooks DRM works (includes the "hunnypot" fix).
sn0wbreeze: iBooks DRM works (includes the "hunnypot" fix).
(I don't recommend using limera1n or greenpois0n.)

iOS 4.3.x:
iBooks DRM is hosed.
i0n1c confirms the kernel patches in his jailbreak will not allow iBooks DRM to function. There is *no* fix to get iBooks fully working with his jailbreak.

The new JailbreakMe "3.0" is an all-new style of jailbreak, but I've seen multiple people say it still breaks iBooks.

Others say iBooks does not work:
http://jailbreakqa.com/questions/47835/ipad-2-64gb-3g-jbme-ibooks-problem
http://jailbreakqa.com/questions/46318/ipad-2-433-jbme-ibooks-crashing
http://jailbreakqa.com/questions/47095/hunnypot-30

So when people say it works/doesn't work, is that for DRM, or something else?

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Hermi On Me posted:

Just did this yesterday to preserve my iPhone 4 baseband, but I used Pwnagetool. Once I got the connect to itunes stuff on my phone, I held the power button and the home button together for 10 secs, then released the power button (the top button) and held the home button for another 10 secs. The screen should look like its off. Then Pwnagetool finished it up for me.

I'm on 4.3.3 now with the 1.59.00 baseband, with Ultrasnow installed to fix signal bar issue, but now I can't send or receive any MMS texts, and occasionally my phone doesn't ring when I get a call. I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to fix this, short of updating my baseband or just uninstalling Ultrasnow, but I'd like to keep my unlock if possible.

I am on 1.59.00 on 4.3.3 and I just deal with the signal bar issue. Ultrasnow breaks the phone, so I just deal with it.

I am this close to just updating the baseband though, because I have the old one for resale purposes only...

Hermi On Me
Dec 30, 2002

That's totally barbaric!

dutchbstrd posted:

I am on 1.59.00 on 4.3.3 and I just deal with the signal bar issue. Ultrasnow breaks the phone, so I just deal with it.

I am this close to just updating the baseband though, because I have the old one for resale purposes only...

I'm in the same boat, but the only big thing stopping me right now is that it takes so long to get everything reinstalled. The procedure in the OP didn't work for me, using SSH and apt-get, and I ended up reinstalling everything manually, and of course waiting for my music and apps to get copied over again.

Uninstalled ultrasnow, so at least MMS and phone are back on track. Signal bar is annoying me, but maybe I can hold out until the next firmware jailbreak.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I'm having sort of a weird issue.

My phone only has software 4.1 and so I ran limera1n to jailbreak, and that went ok, then I tried to install Cydia and it got an error and wouldn't ever install, it just has a white box for an icon and when I click the cydia white box it does nothing. I thought "ok I'll just try again" but as it turns out, if you run limera1n again, it doesn't actually attempt to put the limerain program on there again, it just says you're jailbroken and that's all it does.

Can I manually put Cydia on here somehow? I assume there's some program for just transferring it on there over USB. My phone is already jailbroken I guess I just don't have Cydia on here.

Also what would happen if I just used itunes to upgrade to 4.3.3, would I gently caress up my phone if I didn't restore first? I thought I had a backup on my laptop here but I don't, and I'm out of town for a week, so I'd prefer to avoid restoring to factory if possible.

Edit: Nevermind, I tried again for a third time and mysteriously everything worked.

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 10, 2011

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Jaysus posted:

Weird, never had that issue and everything was perfect for me. Sorry you had a bad experience, but don't let it end the best thing that ever happened to your iDevice.

I stuck with it and its going well on my ipad2 now, but i dont really know what else to do with a jailbreak. the device does pretty much everything I want right now so i dont mind.

I tried a theme on both ip4 and ipad2 but it just seemed janky - the clock would display the time from the last time the lock screen was viewed and then update in front of you, and I couldnt set my own wall paper easily (slanted lock theme) so i gave up on that.

So far all JBing has done is made my poo poo more like android, and i dislike android for all the weird, non-slick poo poo it does.

I mean sure people use heaps of cool stuff on this, but i just dont need it or see the point .

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I also hate themes -- all of them -- but Retinapad and datadeposit are reason enough to jailbreak. Here are the apps I use on ipad2 that require a JB:

Fullforce - make text based iPhone apps use full screen instead of needing 2x mode
Retina pad - use iphone app retina assets on iPad so 2x mode looks way better
DataDeposit - back up save games and app data to dropbox!
MyWi OnDemand - automatic tethering on/off as needed
ManualCorrect - spell check without autocorrect, or reversed autocorrect, or custom dictionary
navigate from maps - add a link from any pin in the maps app to navigon or tom-tom
StayOpened - app store stays open when you install something
IgotYa - email a pic of anyone trying and failing to enter the passcode
Iconoclasm - choose any number of row/column of icons
Folderenhancer - unlimited icons in folders, faster folders, custom folders
shrink - set dock and springboard icon sizes
Gridlock - put icons anywhere without them snapping together

dox
Mar 4, 2006

plumpy posted:

Use iREB on Windows... should fix your problems with the restore issues... at least it did with me trying to unlock a 3G. Worth a shot!

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
I have just jailbroken my ipad 2 running 4.3.3 and it seems to have slowed things down a bit, mainly when I try to open a folder it has to think about it for a bit, or if I double tap the home button. Is this normal or has something gone a bit wrong? I installed winterboard briefly but figured it may have been causing the problem and removed it again but its still quite slow.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Something has gone a bit wrong. I don't see any difference in folder or recents opening speed. Did you use snowbreeze or jailbreakme.com? What JB apps did you install? Which version of installous did you install, if any?

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

randyest posted:

Something has gone a bit wrong. I don't see any difference in folder or recents opening speed. Did you use snowbreeze or jailbreakme.com? What JB apps did you install? Which version of installous did you install, if any?

I used jailbreak me, strangely it's gotten a bit faster again, still not perfect though. I have a feeling it was winter board, it mentioned that it was supported by iPhone and iPod touch but not iPad so wonder if that ballsed something up. I'll leave it for a bit but if it doesn't go away I'll have to restore and re jailbreak. I have to say though retina pad is amazing.

Edit, it seems to get worse again if i reset springboard.

Solly fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 11, 2011

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
:siren:!Warning!:siren:

If you jailbreak iOS 5 beta 3 it will break all apps from the App Store.

Someone should put that in the OP ASAP.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Why would someone jailbreak a beta intended only for developers?

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Why would someone jailbreak a beta intended only for developers?

Because maybe they develop jailbreak apps and want to test them against iOS 5?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

HorseDickSandwich posted:

Because maybe they develop jailbreak apps and want to test them against iOS 5?

Correct!

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Hmm, I guess you're right. Better get on putting that in the OP ASAP. We've got a ton of jailbreak app developers that frequent this thread so that information needs to be put out there as soon as possible.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

comex posted:

looks like my update messed up verizon iphones
9 minutes ago from web

Comex released a kernel update on Cydia for his jailbreak and it's apparently doing something funky with Verizon phones.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

-edit - Ok on a whim deleted the last gs.apple line from the host file. I tried like 3x before but this time it worked. Not sure if it was a collaboration of efforts or what. Thank god.

Ok, can I get some help please?

I have a Iphone 4g 4.2.1 tethered (big mistake). I want to upgrade to 4.3.3.

I get error 3194. I open my host file and delete all the gs.apple lines. Still get the error.

I used ireb and redsnow to put into dfu recovery mode. When I used rednsnow I tried to restore to my original 4.2.1 firmware but got the 1013 error. Then I went and deleted whatever line it told me in google and I still get the 3194 error.

I can still boot tethered. In Tiny Umbrella I have the box "set hosts to cydia on exit (if you need a clean restore from apple)" checked which seems to do nothing.

Ugh, this is so aggravating. Any help please?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 12, 2011

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

BiteSMS now apparently works on jailbreakme.com, according to the biteSMS team.

I installed it about an hour ago, but haven't received any texts so I can't confirm yet.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

I want to revert back to un jailbroken so I can re jailbreak and hopefully fix this folders issue. Thing is I made a backup before jailbreaking, if I click restore in itunes and then make backup I assume it overwrites the old backup. Would I be better off clicking don't make a backup and trying to restore the previous pre jailbreak backup or will backing up a jailbroken device not leave any trace of the jailbreak behind?

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

So I went with just creating a new backup and then restoring but I get this error message before the restore starts. Is this just referring to the jailbroken apps. I dont particularly want to wipe all of my purchases off my ipad. I would have thought they were tied to your apple account anyway?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....

Solly posted:

So I went with just creating a new backup and then restoring but I get this error message before the restore starts. Is this just referring to the jailbroken apps. I dont particularly want to wipe all of my purchases off my ipad. I would have thought they were tied to your apple account anyway?

Right-click your device in itunes and select "transfer purchases".

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

m0isty posted:

Right-click your device in itunes and select "transfer purchases".

Thanks, turned out to be a few crappy podcasts id forgotten about. I restored it and re jailbroke it, works a treat now. Just have to wait the rest of the day while it transfers 20gig of crap back onto it.

Edit: after restoring all my apps to the thing the folders are slow to open again, I have no idea why it's doing this but it doesn't look like there's much I can do to fix it. Currently the only jail break thing I have installed is Cydia so it's not a third party thing causing the problem.

Edit again: I think the system just needed time to settle after installing everything again, it works fine now, in fact it's faster than normal since I installed folder enhancer. It's a real wonder why they never included it as stock, I've cut down what was six screens on springboard and made them into two. And arranging them all with multi icon select was quick and easy, jail breaking is awesome, I finally love my iPad.

Just a couple of things I was wondering about though, is there anything that stops the iPad from resizing images on the web all the time, I'd like to be able to see them in their original resolution if that's possible. And I've seen frash mentioned a couple of times is it any good or is it just a hacky port of android flash?

Another edit because otherwise this page will be filled entirely with posts by me:

You know how when you use a third party browser and you try to enter text into a text box, such as when your making a post on the forums, well if the page hasn't fully loaded the keyboard dissapears a couple of times before it let's you type anything. I was wondering if there might be some sort of jailbreak fix for this. And the speed boost safari got recently, I'm under the impression that this didnt have any effect on third party browsers either, is there a way to change this, or am I wrong about that?

Solly fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 12, 2011

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?

Christoff posted:

-edit - Ok on a whim deleted the last gs.apple line from the host file. I tried like 3x before but this time it worked. Not sure if it was a collaboration of efforts or what. Thank god.

Ok, can I get some help please?

I have a Iphone 4g 4.2.1 tethered (big mistake). I want to upgrade to 4.3.3.

I get error 3194. I open my host file and delete all the gs.apple lines. Still get the error.

I used ireb and redsnow to put into dfu recovery mode. When I used rednsnow I tried to restore to my original 4.2.1 firmware but got the 1013 error. Then I went and deleted whatever line it told me in google and I still get the 3194 error.

I can still boot tethered. In Tiny Umbrella I have the box "set hosts to cydia on exit (if you need a clean restore from apple)" checked which seems to do nothing.

Ugh, this is so aggravating. Any help please?

Uncheck the "Set hosts to Cydia on exit" box. If you remove any gs.apple lines from your host file, then open TU with that box checked, it will re-add them.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Also remember to do a reboot. IIRC it requires a reboot before the host file can take effect.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I have a few JB-related tweaking questions. This is for an iphone4, 4.3.3 fw.

1) How can I make homescreen bookmarks open in AtomicWeb instead of Safari? I have Browser Changer installed but it seems to only have provisions for Mail and Maps. Is there another package I can install to allow this?

2) ^ Ditto for links clicked in texts (using BiteSMS).

3) If you look at this image you will see that I receive two separate status bar notifications when I get a text message. I know one of them is from LockInfo's settings so I presume the other one is coming from biteSMS... problem is I can't figure out where in biteSMS' settings to toggle this setting. Any guesses?

Here is a list of packages installed:

Activator
Airplane SBSettings
AppList
BigBoss Icon Set
biteSMS
Browser Changer
Clock Plugin for LockInfo
Gridlock
Icon Renamer
Infinidock
Infinifolders
IntelliStatusBarIcons
libdisplaystack
LibWeather
LockInfo
Mobile Substrate
My3G
MyWi 4.0
MyWi OnDemand
OpenSSH
Popup Blocker
SBSettings
sbsettingstoggles
Serious SBSettings HD
SpringFlash
Springflash SBSetting
Weather Plugin for LockInfo
WeatherIcon
2Do Plugin for Lockinfo

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Bucket Joneses posted:

3) If you look at this image you will see that I receive two separate status bar notifications when I get a text message. I know one of them is from LockInfo's settings so I presume the other one is coming from biteSMS... problem is I can't figure out where in biteSMS' settings to toggle this setting. Any guesses?

Keep the biteSMS one, get rid of the LockInfo one. (For reference the biteSMS one is part of the "quicklist" functionality)

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

My Ipad 2 rebooted into safe mode earlier when I tried to return to the home screen using a five finger pinch. Is it possible that it doesnt like where I've put that line of code to enable gestures or is it just something else I've installed on cydia that's loving things up. I've removed mobile notifier as it seems the most likely candidate and also its a bit crap anyway. Im just wondering though how worried should I be about "it safe mode" is it a sign that things may be about to go irreversibly wrong? Im assuming that bricking via jailbreak is very hard to do based on the thread title, but I do have incredibly bad luck when it comes to things that can go wrong when rooting / jailbreaking things.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
1) It's Safe Mode. It was put there specifically to help you when poo poo crashes, so you're not 'locked out' of making changes.

2) Any experienced jailbreak user will tell you, when in doubt (and having crashes) work backwards removing jailbreak apps (logically newest-added first.)

3) I've heard rumblings (anecdotally) of the 5 finger gestures being not fully supported in the iOS, so I'd start there by just flat out removing that and seeing.

5) Bricking your iPad is nigh-on-impossible short of duct-taping it to your back and diving into the ocean, or having a Great Dane piss on it. Everything it needs to run properly (short of functioning mechanical/electronic parts is written over when you do a restore.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

Feenix posted:

1) It's Safe Mode. It was put there specifically to help you when poo poo crashes, so you're not 'locked out' of making changes.

2) Any experienced jailbreak user will tell you, when in doubt (and having crashes) work backwards removing jailbreak apps (logically newest-added first.)

3) I've heard rumblings (anecdotally) of the 5 finger gestures being not fully supported in the iOS, so I'd start there by just flat out removing that and seeing.

5) Bricking your iPad is nigh-on-impossible short of duct-taping it to your back and diving into the ocean, or having a Great Dane piss on it. Everything it needs to run properly (short of functioning mechanical/electronic parts is written over when you do a restore.

Thanks for the reassurance. I've just remembered, although its probably irrelevant, that the tutorial I was following says to change the file in the following location:

quote:

To enable, open iFile (above), and navigate to var/mobile/preferences/ and open the file com.apple.springboard.plist. It will then give you several options – choose open in Text Viewer. Now select edit, and add the following lines near the bottom:

<key>SBUseSystemGestures</key>

<true/>

however, I could find no com.apple.springboard.plist file there and instead found it under var/mobile/library/preferences
I assumed they had just made a typo but perhaps something else is amiss.

If it happens again I'll turn gestures off, but the thing is I really really like them, it makes navigation so much easier when you effectively have a back button.

Edit: on your last point, I@ve noticed a few posts on some help boards about people getting stuck into boot loops, if such a thing were to happen I would assume there is no way to restore it via itunes. Are these people just being stupid or is that a possibility?

Solly fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Hopefully this isn't :filez: but the new version of iMAME4all works with the iCade. It's pretty cool.

• Locked thread