Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Skip JC1 and go right to JC2. You will thank me later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Raskolnikov posted:

Skip JC1 and go right to JC2. You will thank me later.

If he's on a Windows 7 machine he might not be able to even play the first one, as a ton of people, myself included, are getting a Runtime Error with it, and there seems to be no explanation as to why.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

TheJoker138 posted:

If he's on a Windows 7 machine he might not be able to even play the first one, as a ton of people, myself included, are getting a Runtime Error with it, and there seems to be no explanation as to why.
I downloaded it a day or two ago and tried it out, and it was working fine. Of course, now that I've said that, it'll mysteriously never run for me again.

Assuming it still works, I'm going to go ahead with the first one. They're both in my backlog, so I'm going to play both eventually. And from what people have said the second one seems to be better, so I might as well play the first one so that the gameplay isn't tainted by having played the second one before it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Eh! Frank posted:

I downloaded it a day or two ago and tried it out, and it was working fine. Of course, now that I've said that, it'll mysteriously never run for me again.

Assuming it still works, I'm going to go ahead with the first one. They're both in my backlog, so I'm going to play both eventually. And from what people have said the second one seems to be better, so I might as well play the first one so that the gameplay isn't tainted by having played the second one before it.

The second one doesn't just seem to better, it's like night and day. It's like going from Wolfenstein to Doom. Sure, the mechanics are basically the same, but there's so much improved on a technical level, and they've polished everything to the point where you look back at it's predecessor and just go "...what the gently caress?" because it's hard to believe it's even the same company making it. Just Cause 2 is one of the funnest games ever made. Just Cause 1 was mediocre, at best, even when it first came out, and the only reason it did as well as it did was because it was the first real open world game on 360, other than Gun.

In short: Never, ever play the first one, dude. Just skip it.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
All right! I finished Tomb Raider: Anniversary!

I'm glad I played it, but I'm not sorry to see it go. The endgame had an awful lot of really annoying glitchy and finicky sequences, and pretty much every bossfight was absurdly opaque. Though I guess if you played Resident Evil for the puzzles this would blow you right the gently caress away.

According to The Plan, I'm supposed to play Splinter Cell next, but so far I've just watched the intro cinematic and it is so :patriot: :fsmug: :patriot: I could not keep a straight face. So I don't know if I can handle that just yet and might go back to Darwinia or try to clear out some more of my Summer Sale damage so that it doesn't count (Time Gentlemen Please in particular has been jumping out at me).

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I'm really loving Spacechem at the moment, but I can't help but think the difficult level is going to shoot through the roof and put me off at some point.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Moving Serious Sam HD: TFE to the finished section. That was a cool boss battle at the end.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
Total damage for the Steam sale:
Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY
Battlefield Bad Company 2 & DLC (Vietnam)
Beat Hazard, Ultra and DLC
Capsized
Darksiders
Just Cause 2
Mass Effect 2
Post Apocalyptic Mayhem
Risen
Terraria
Transformers: War for Cybertron
Trine

Total spent: $85

This sale was great for me because of the lovely state of the US dollar in comparison to the Canadian dollar.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I got so many huge games that will take me forever to finish during the sale. :ohdear:

So I'm playing Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of Earth instead.

Typhoon Jim
Sep 20, 2004

space moo

Master_Odin posted:

Still, it's not that terrible though. It's really interesting once you've added up how much you've spent in total. Looking at that $7561.82 USD and then calculating that you've in fact spent like 37% of that (so in my case of 6534.98, it turns into something like 4134.155 saved)

That's the thing, I feel perfectly content only playing half of a game that I got for 2 bucks. I think back to when I was a kid and finished EVERY GAME SIX TIMES, and realize that a lot of those games were loving crap, like Cybernoid and Kung Fu Heroes.

Kids today are lucky in that they can get a video game for 5 bucks and not feel compelled to master it even if it is terrible.

That said, though, there's stuff like Dead Space that I'm pretty sure I didn't give enough of a chance to because there was other stuff waiting. Although I think getting Borderlands on sale makes up for absolutely everything (I am still playing that goddamn thing at 180 hours in... what the hell. That's 180 hours over a couple years, still, but I know few other games that have gotten that much. I'll finish a game partway and think "well, I still haven't finished playthrough 2.5 on my hunter...")

As a side note, owning an xbox 360 controller has made me realize what a lot of games are about. Some are just console creatures at heart, and once I played them with a proper controller, it made them worthwhile.

Typhoon Jim fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 11, 2011

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I took in a rather loving huge haul this sale, so I guess it is time for me to join the ranks of the Steam Anonymous. v:shobon:v I've already set up my categories and backloggery, now I just need to pick one of my 150-something games. I wonder how the people with 500+ games manage. I read the random roll thing in the OP, but it may be hard for me to stick with that. :smith: I've got really terrible video game ADD, seeing as I spent the past 5-7 years constantly hopping MMOs and playing not much else.

If anyone wants to play some of the games with coop campaigns together (Serious Sam, Retribution, not sure what else), add me on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tsurupettan

I think the worst thing I did for myself was getting a bunch of 40-80+ hour games. :smithicide:

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I have a ton of awesome games that I've gotten during sales but I can't run most of them. I might be able to beat HL:Ep1/Ep2/Lost Coast when I get the HDD space (and by "beat" I mean "cheat at until the game ends"),

My problem with a lot of this stuff is I thought I'd be able to get a nice PC and play some of it by now, but things kinda didn't go the way I wanted them to and I fell on some hard times. New Vegas, Civ 5, and Empire Total War are near the top of my list but they all chug along painfully on my lovely laptop, and since I've moved I don't have a desk anymore to put a mouse down on so I just stick with 360. Maybe I'll see if Red Faction: Guerilla runs and then finish the Serious Sam HD games.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
I have a friend who was in a similar situation. They've had a rubbish Mac for the past few years and it's been badly beaten/on its last legs. You will eventually get through that though and it'll be worth it! He picked up loadsa stuff in the Christmas sale and is enjoying it all now.

He took every last ounce he could out of that laptop though. The screen cracked and wouldn't work, so for the last 18 months of its life he used it exclusively with an external monitor and played games like "Civ 3" in Windows on it... True story.

So yeah: good things come to those who wait.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm kicking myself for not playing Trine earlier. Controls are a little wonky but it's a very good platformer. I don't know why physics in video games were experimented with briefly then completely ignored.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

It's kind of a relief that that's over.

Here's my final report:
Scratches: Director's Cut - $4.99 (50% off)
Alien Breed 2: Assault - $0 (my last 3 tickets)

I think I win. Or is it lose? I'm not sure.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So I just beat FEAR 3 with Point Man and :stare:

What a fun, solid FPS with an ending that manages to out-crazy the second FEAR. Looking forward to playing through as Fettel later on.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Knocked out episode 4 of Sam and Max Season 1 today.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Chief Savage Man posted:

Is that Abe Lincoln Must Die? I think that one really long song is called Consecutive Office and it's probably my favorite track in the series. Sam & Max has a kickass soundtrack.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
:hellyeah: taking out first person shooters one by one. Beat NecroVision just now. Half of that game sure is neat and the other half sure is lovely!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

al-azad posted:

Sam & Max has a kickass soundtrack.

We are useful. We are fruitful. We are useful. Everything that boots is beautiful.

Related to this thread? I beated the second episode of Back to the Future and played a bunch of Red Alert 3.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 12, 2011

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Bad news: I bought 12 games/major DLC packs during the sale (Beat Hazard Ultra basically counts as a new game in my book).

Good news: I beat Amnesia and Batman, clearing several of my winter sale backlogged games out of my list!

Best news: Since I got like half a dozen new RPGs during the sale, I've decided to basically dump my Rift subscription, meaning I'll actually complete some more games!

Maybe.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I went pretty easy on the sale, probably spent like $30 total, but I just looked at my list and realized it finally pushed me over the 200 game mark. I think I'm ready to admit I have a Steam problem :smith:

So I combed over the list, found 40 or so games I either haven't touched or played to my satisfaction, and set up a backloggery. It really helps to have all this stuff laid out before me, but its a little overwhelming too. I'm hoping to knock out at least one game every two or three weeks, so I'll only be in steam debt for the next 2 years or so...

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jul 12, 2011

KingCute
Dec 5, 2010

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness.

Chief Savage Man posted:

How solid of a game is Sam and Max? I got all three seasons because I like the comics, but dunno how top a priority it will be for me to play.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Finished off Raptor and it was much harder than I remember. How did I beat it at school with such large hitboxes?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Yodzilla posted:

So I just beat FEAR 3 with Point Man and :stare:

What a fun, solid FPS with an ending that manages to out-crazy the second FEAR. Looking forward to playing through as Fettel later on.

Can you spoiler tag it and write it down? No intention to ever play that game but now I am curious.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I'm trying to go alphabetically through my backlog. Beating Alice: Madness Returns is simple, but I think Amnesia is making me reconsider that plan. Also it means I'll never get to play the Witcher 2.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
Alphabetically doesn't work with large games libraries. Why not try writing out the games you REALLY want to play soon, the games you'd quite like to play soon, and the games you're not too fussed about on individual pieces of paper.

Scrunch them all up, then pick through the ones you REALLY want to do, the ones you'd quite like to do and then the other ones. That way you have a random order to follow and you don't miss out on the ones you really want to play.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

KingCute posted:

How solid of a game is Sam and Max? I got all three seasons because I like the comics, but dunno how top a priority it will be for me to play.
They're fun point-and-click adventures that are really well voice acted and have lots of great dialogue and banter, but there is some range in quality between the seasons and episodes.

They get better with each season. Season 1 reuses a lot of locations, voice acting and sight gags, season 2 starts to mix it up a lot more, and in the last season they just go nuts. Everything either gets completely overhauled or you end up with brand-new locations, like The Tomb of Sammun-Mak (episode 2 in the last season), which is easily one of the best episodes.

Each episode will only take you about 4 hours, you can stretch it to 5-6 if you play slowly and check out everything. My impulse in these games is always to try the obviously wrong solutions to puzzles first, just to get all the responses and dialogue.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Start from A after that start from Z
Meed in the middle eventually. :eng101:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Zedd posted:

Can you spoiler tag it and write it down? No intention to ever play that game but now I am curious.

Well, the whole game has you playing alongside your dead telekinetic brother so that's no secret. Basically what you find out is that Alma is pregnant again after she raped the main character from FEAR 2 which is how that game ended. She's going into labor the whole of FEAR 3 which is basically causing the world to loving end and all these crazy apparitions to appear. As you play through FEAR 3 you learn about how you and your brother were test subjects and never given the choice about how they wanted to end up. You realize that Alma never had the choice either and the real enemy was the scientist who controlled everything back in the day so you end up sympathizing with both Fettel and Alma.

However Alma is still about to unleash this demon-baby-who knows what the gently caress upon the world and Point Man wants to stop her while Fettel wants to...consume her and develop godlike powers? Something like that. At any rate, depending on how each player scored you get one of two endings. Since I was playing single player as Point Man the ending was that I realize that while Fettel isn't to blame for who he is he's still a murderous psycopath who needs to be put down. So you fill his ghost head with...ghost bullets and then tend to Alma who's really just a scared (but still also insane) girl in pain. You deliver a very normal looking baby, Alma dies, and it fades out.

So it kind of sets up another FEAR but thankfully one without Alma and you have no idea what this baby is supposed to be. And I'm guessing that when I beat the game with Fettel I'll receive a very different ended. Overall there's a lot more backstory in FEAR 3 than the other two games if you're into that. No it wasn't really scary at all which is a bit of a disappointment but it was still a really fun FPS.

e: in other news :w00t: won my first full game of Atom Zombie Smasher on default settings. goddamn I love this game

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 12, 2011

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

Making good progress on my backlog! Beat that game as well as Eternity's Child, Dead Money, Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter, Quake I almost done, good progress on Ultimate Doom, and beat Magicka.

Things have gone well.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Yodzilla posted:

Well, the whole game has you playing alongside your dead telekinetic brother so that's no secret. Basically what you find out is that Alma is pregnant again after she raped the main character from FEAR 2 which is how that game ended. She's going into labor the whole of FEAR 3 which is basically causing the world to loving end and all these crazy apparitions to appear. As you play through FEAR 3 you learn about how you and your brother were test subjects and never given the choice about how they wanted to end up. You realize that Alma never had the choice either and the real enemy was the scientist who controlled everything back in the day so you end up sympathizing with both Fettel and Alma.

However Alma is still about to unleash this demon-baby-who knows what the gently caress upon the world and Point Man wants to stop her while Fettel wants to...consume her and develop godlike powers? Something like that. At any rate, depending on how each player scored you get one of two endings. Since I was playing single player as Point Man the ending was that I realize that while Fettel isn't to blame for who he is he's still a murderous psycopath who needs to be put down. So you fill his ghost head with...ghost bullets and then tend to Alma who's really just a scared (but still also insane) girl in pain. You deliver a very normal looking baby, Alma dies, and it fades out.

So it kind of sets up another FEAR but thankfully one without Alma and you have no idea what this baby is supposed to be. And I'm guessing that when I beat the game with Fettel I'll receive a very different ended. Overall there's a lot more backstory in FEAR 3 than the other two games if you're into that. No it wasn't really scary at all which is a bit of a disappointment but it was still a really fun FPS.

e: in other news :w00t: won my first full game of Atom Zombie Smasher on default settings. goddamn I love this game

This sounds like the worst and biggest clusterfuck lovely plot i've ever seen. God drat.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
How do i make the URL search bar come up in steam? I cant find my steam ID, all the ways the steam calculator says do not work. Google is all lies too.

edit: only way to get it to work was with the custom url which took 15 minutes yay

Prorat fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 12, 2011

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

al-azad posted:

I'm kicking myself for not playing Trine earlier. Controls are a little wonky but it's a very good platformer. I don't know why physics in video games were experimented with briefly then completely ignored.

If you didn't play local coop with two other people you don't know what you're missing.

The game supports three people on their own kb/m. We were all crowded around the 19" CRT I was using at the time. It was glorious.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Now that is sale is over, I have me quite a bit of backed up games I need to go through

http://steamcommunity.com/id/waffleopolis/games?tab=all

Some of these I'm not counting like little arcade games and Mass Effect (I already beat 2 on 360 and I'm broke right now to get the DLC), so here's a list of games I want to get accomplished:

Batman: Arkham Asylum
Darksiders
Dead Space
Half-Life series (I'll play through the whole series before moving on)
Just Cause 2
Oddworld series (Life Half-Life, I'll play the whole thing)
Penny-Arcade games episodes 1 & 2
Penumbra: Overture
Puzzle Agent
Sam & Max full Season 1
Serious Sam HD: First and Second Encounter
Strong Bad season 1

What should I play first? YOU DECIDE! You choose a game (or game series listed) for me to play and the majority chosen in the next 5 posts to suggest something to me I'll play until beaten, then I'll do another voting session!

Waffleopolis fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 12, 2011

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Play Bateman.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Half Life 2

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Brace posted:

This sounds like the worst and biggest clusterfuck lovely plot i've ever seen. God drat.

I dunno man, JRPGs

edit: I decided to go with the "things I want to actually play" priority list, seems much less annoying.

Play Just Cause 2, but realize that playing Just Cause 2 means ignoring the plot and just spending a few hours every week exploding the loving world while surfing on jetliners for the rest of your life.

Chinaman7000 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 12, 2011

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Waffleopolis posted:

Now that is sale is over, I have me quite a bit of backed up games I need to go through

Some of these I'm not counting like little arcade games and Mass Effect (I already beat 2 on 360 and I'm broke right now to get the DLC), so here's a list of games I want to get accomplished:

Darksiders
Dead Space
Just Cause 2
Puzzle Agent
Sam & Max full Season 1
Strong Bad season 1

What should I play first? YOU DECIDE! You choose a game (or game series listed) for me to play and the majority chosen in the next 10 posts to suggest something to me I'll play until beaten, then I'll do another voting session!

YOUR PARENTS ARE DEEEEEEAD you know what you must do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe

Waffleopolis posted:

Darksiders
Dead Space
Just Cause 2
Puzzle Agent
Sam & Max full Season 1
Strong Bad season 1

What should I play first? YOU DECIDE! You choose a game (or game series listed) for me to play and the majority chosen in the next 10 posts to suggest something to me I'll play until beaten, then I'll do another voting session!

You should go for the Oddworld series, they're pretty good games with some pretty cool mechanics.