Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009

Elliotw2 posted:

DarnUI works if you install PN first, then replace the PN inventory,pipboy and something else with the DarnUI files. Basically start replacing things with Darn files until PN complains, then roll back one file

Best thing to do is install DarNUI, install the prefab folder for PN (In the .7z, open the menu folder and extract the prefab folder into your menu folder) then open Optional\DarnUI\ in the .7z and just extract that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
I can't really speak on whether it's compatible with PN or not, but aHUD/iHUD is great for customizing the UI. My current setup:

(It's actually a combination of DarnUI, HUD Extended, Primary Needs HUD and aHUD. You can't see em in that pic, but I'm using the Advanced Recon HUD icons as well.)

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

fennesz posted:

Anyone happen to know what mod this coat is from?

I saw it listed in the Nevada Skies images and I'm assuming it's not apart of the mod itself. Hopefully there happens to be a male version of it.

Quite a few coats like that in this mod:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35740

I edited mine a little, took off the kneepads and holster, added the pipboy from some other outfit in that pack, but that mod should sort you out.

E:

Goes great with the hat from this mod:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=37526

:v:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Huh...if that's the case, Rirse, those night vision perks aren't coming from the revised More Perks mod. Maybe a weather mod or something?

I'm not running EVE, myself, and I noticed this too. It's seriously like 8 or 9 seconds long.

You might be able to figure it out or at least narrow it down by loading up everything in FNVEdit and then searching for the cash register and seeing what edits it.

Alternatively if you use BAIN find the .kf file it's using (assuming it's using one) and delete it and then the BAIN installation for whatever mod should color itself an obvious color.

Also, has anyone used Underwater Home? I'm gonna reinstall soon and it looks pretty sweet, I'm wondering if it actually is?

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 12, 2011

ShiningForceHero
Apr 19, 2006
Another question relating to FO3 GOTY edition on Steam, I am now running into an issue of the game just crashing as soon as I launch it, whether it's through Steam, from the .exe, or from FOMM. I have the script extender installed, and it launched before I started adding mods. Any ideas on this problem? I can post my load order if necessary. Also is it alright bringing modding questions and such for F03 here? The F03 thread is dead so I am hoping so.

Edit: So I deleted the whole F03 folder from My Games in my documents, and now it loads to the main screen, but never gives me any menu options.

Edit: Nevermind, it was an issue with Darnified UI and FWE, I know I had the compatibility patch or whatever, but I must have forgotten to apply it. Seems to be working alright now.

ShiningForceHero fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 12, 2011

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Capn Beeb posted:

Quite a few coats like that in this mod:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35740

I edited mine a little, took off the kneepads and holster, added the pipboy from some other outfit in that pack, but that mod should sort you out.

E:

Goes great with the hat from this mod:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=37526

:v:

Haha all I could think of is the Zybourne Clock. I hope you named your character Johnny, Beeb :allears:

e: I've never been able to bring myself to wear any headgear but the Ranger/Desert Veteran helmet or the Roving Trader hat. I'll dig around in the first one though; thanks for the link.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 12, 2011

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

fennesz posted:

Haha all I could think of is the Zybourne Clock. I hope you named your character Johnny, Beeb :allears:

e: I've never been able to bring myself to wear any headgear but the Ranger/Desert Veteran helmet or the Roving Trader hat. I'll dig around in the first one though; thanks for the link.

But if he named him Johnny, then whom dead on the hillside by Goodspring?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Rirse posted:

Maybe we'll find the answer during Old World Blues :chord:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Rirse posted:

A Johnny from a different past/future/present, obviously.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So, oddball question people will likely hate me for.

I've never even started looking at modding F3, and FNV, yet really want to go through both games and play them again, this time modded.

Thing is, I'm not a big fan of overmodding games, or adding tons of stuff just to say I've added tons of stuff, I don't care about UI mods, or texture mods, unless they change things up in a good way, like Better Cities in Oblivion. Hell, I don't even mind upgrading the combat, as I found it good enough.

So my question is, are there any good mods for either F3 or NV that either add to the atmosphere of the games setting ( like Better Cities/Really Far View Distance ), finish up things Bethseda/Obsidian put in but never really finished ( Rise of the Telvanni for Morrowind, Kvatch Rebuilt and Frostcrag Spire Reborn for Oblivion ), or just in general REALLY well done quest mods ( Lost Spires )?

Hell, even just good quest mods will work as long as they feel like they might have been in the original game. I don't want something that just pops up and totally changes the focus of the game for a little bit, well thought out or no.

Normally I'd dig this stuff up myself, and I still will tomorrowish, but it would be nice to hear some goon ideas as well, since you guys know far more about modding these games then me.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I found the weather mods (Nevada Skies and Fellout, to be specific) quite nice for the added immersion. However, the way the engine handles lightning makes it nigh if not utterly impossible to create, say, a good flashlight mod to counter the pitch-black darkness that the nights of Nevada Skies has. There are some night-vision mods that work quite well though, but I, for one, would prefer just a good old flashlight to help me see something at nights.

Splash Damage
May 23, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Ok, I'm trying to set up my game to look like: http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/images/40179-1-1297382052.jpg The Au Naturel setting. However I can't seem to get it right. My game is really dark, looking at the sun causes it to go washed out and the weather cycle is all screwed up: its dark until 10 AM and goes pitch-black at 8PM or so. I'm using Project Nevada, Nevada Skies URLW-ified, Lumenarium, Electro-City, both Imaginator and Cinematech. I've also added the Custom Lighting Overlay and Enhanced Shaders Lite, although I'm not sure if I'm using the correct version of that one. I've set them up in a load order according to the readme for Electro-City and I don't think I've gotten the intended effect. How should I install all this to make my game look like that screenshot?

Also, I'm looking for a mod that expands the reloading system, most of all adding the ability to craft cases (45. included). Any recommendations?

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Nevada Skies is great. One question though, I downloaded Poco Bueno but it's not showing up in my boot order, only in the package manager. Is this how it's suppose to be?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

err posted:

Nevada Skies is great. One question though, I downloaded Poco Bueno but it's not showing up in my boot order, only in the package manager. Is this how it's suppose to be?

You have to "activate" packages in order for the ESPs to show up. If it isn't there, then either you need to reactivate, or your FOMM isn't configured properly.

Typhoon Jim
Sep 20, 2004

space moo
Isn't that coat the Tobar outfit from Point Lookout?

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

fennesz posted:

Maybe we'll find the answer during Old World Blues :chord:
This reminds me: Has any of the DLC added more Wild Wasteland content? Or are there any "Wild wasteland expanded" type mods that are good (the concept seems like one super easy for a modder to gently caress up)? If I remember right there's like six or seven uses of the trait total in the game. It felt indispensable on my first playthrough, but I didn't bother at all for this install.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

err posted:

Poco Bueno is just texture replacements, there's no ESP.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Jetsetlemming posted:

This reminds me: Has any of the DLC added more Wild Wasteland content? Or are there any "Wild wasteland expanded" type mods that are good (the concept seems like one super easy for a modder to gently caress up)? If I remember right there's like six or seven uses of the trait total in the game. It felt indispensable on my first playthrough, but I didn't bother at all for this install.

Yeah, the DLC add new Wild Wasteland encounters, including one that refers to Two Bears High-Fiving.

EDIT: Between the core game and the two DLCs, there are ~26 encounters and changes made by Wild Wasteland.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

perianwyr posted:

Isn't that coat the Tobar outfit from Point Lookout?

Yeah.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Anyone have any first hand experience with those Area 51 mods that just popped up recently? I am always on the lookout for cool story mods and such but they're such a crapshoot even when they get a bunch of endorsements.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Anyone have experience with some experience-reducing mods for New Vegas? The last time I played New Vegas (this was before any DLCs) I reached the level cap much sooner before I was finished with everything there was to do in the wasteland (I guess you could call me a completionist). Basically, I would like to reach the level cap when all quests are finished and all places of interest in the wasteland are explored.

What would be a good value to reduce the XP? I'm guessing something like 75% of the base experience would be a good starting point, but if anyone has some insight regarding my question, I would be glad to hear your opinion.

(I have Honest Hearts and Dead Money now, and will most likely get the rest of the DLC too when they are released)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Smol posted:

Anyone have experience with some experience-reducing mods for New Vegas? The last time I played New Vegas (this was before any DLCs) I reached the level cap much sooner before I was finished with everything there was to do in the wasteland (I guess you could call me a completionist). Basically, I would like to reach the level cap when all quests are finished and all places of interest in the wasteland are explored.

What would be a good value to reduce the XP? I'm guessing something like 75% of the base experience would be a good starting point, but if anyone has some insight regarding my question, I would be glad to hear your opinion.

(I have Honest Hearts and Dead Money now, and will most likely get the rest of the DLC too when they are released)

Project Nevada is right for you. It has a lot of options you can enable or disable, but one of them is lowering the exp (which I set it at 75%, which feels "right"). I did turn on "one perk per level" mostly since I used the revised perk pack that one goon made out of some other perk set.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

I looked through the info for Requiem for the Capital Wasteland, and can't see the answer for what I'm looking for, so apologies if this is a rehash of something that's there.

Does it treat FONV and FO3 as separate games? As in, if I install a performance/graphical/ui mod for FONV, when I use that sewer grate does that mod turn off? Would I need to have it's equivalent over in my FO3 folder, or do all FONV mods work over the border in FO3?

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
[X] AWorldOfPain(Preview).esm
[X] More Perks.esm
[X] More Perks for Dead Money.esm
[X] More Perks for Honest Hearts.esm
[X] DeadMoney.esm
[X] HonestHearts.esm
[X] FalloutNV.esm
[X] Project Nevada - Core.esm
[X] Project Nevada - Equipment.esm
[X] Nevada Skies.esp
[X] PerkEveryLevel.esp
[X] NewVegasBounties.esp
[X] NewVegasBountiesII.esp
[X] More Perks for Honest Hearts Update.esp
[X] More Perks for Dead Money Update.esp
[X] More Perks Update.esp
[X] Project Nevada - Cyberware.esp
[X] Project Nevada - Rebalance.esp

Just started another playthrough with this setup and everything was going great until I triggered the Powder Ganger invasion in Goodsprings. There were 6 dudes with heavy armor, RCW laser rifles and magnum pistols. I ended up having to spam dynamite to bring them all down. I don't ever remember it being this difficult and think that it's one of the mods screwing with the leveled list.

Anyone have a similar problem?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

RoryGilmore posted:

I looked through the info for Requiem for the Capital Wasteland, and can't see the answer for what I'm looking for, so apologies if this is a rehash of something that's there.

Does it treat FONV and FO3 as separate games? As in, if I install a performance/graphical/ui mod for FONV, when I use that sewer grate does that mod turn off? Would I need to have it's equivalent over in my FO3 folder, or do all FONV mods work over the border in FO3?

It uses the New Vegas mods. I can tell since Project Nevada is still in effect and the weather mod tries to display the weather in Capital Wasteland, but displays the generic message if your underground.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Well CardboardFox, right off the bat, you've got the main game below some mods. Put FalloutNV.esm and the dlcs at the top.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Also you can remove the "perk every level" mod, as Project Nevada has the option enable that in the Mod Configuration (main menu).

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Cardboard Fox posted:

[X] AWorldOfPain(Preview).esm
[X] NewVegasBounties.esp
[X] NewVegasBountiesII.esp

Your problem comes from one of these mods.

Smol posted:

Seconding Rirse's answer. I've got PN with leveling reduced to 75% and it seems to be a pretty good pace. Fast enough that you still feel rewarded for completing quests, but slow enough that you're not hitting level 25 before you touch the main quest.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 12, 2011

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

I've got Bounties and it works fine, and doesn't mess with the game at all outside the scope of its own quest. I'd look at World of Pain (which gets a lot of bad news in this thread).

Repelex
Jun 25, 2010

ketchum while they're young
Which performance mods are recommended most? There are a few in the OP, but I'm not sure how well they work, or if there are any newer/better ones available.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Repelex posted:

Which performance mods are recommended most? There are a few in the OP, but I'm not sure how well they work, or if there are any newer/better ones available.

None, really. The 4GB executable is helpful if you use texture packs or have 4GB+ of RAM in the first place. But the new patch did quite a bit for performance, going so far as to rebuild certain areas for better performance. There'll still be the occasional stutter or hitch as the engine loads and renders new areas, so I imagine the only real patch for that is to buy an SSD.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Can anyone recommend a good, general purpose bugfix mod? I'm just getting started on this, and Obsidian games are notoriously rough around the edges.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
Alright, last time I promise, but I'm still getting these crashes at least once an hour. It always happens when I go outside from a building, or when I fast travel, never when moving from one part of a building to another. And I mean that, literally never. I spent like 2 hours in Vault 22 and that was the longest time I've played since adding PN and a few other mods I've since disabled to find the problem a couple weeks ago, but it crashed the instant I stepped foot outside the door. So, naturally, I'd think it has to be something with loading cells outside, but I can't for the life of me imagine what kind of conflict there could be that would cause this.
code:
FalloutNV.esm
DeadMoney.esm
HonestHearts.esm
CaravanPack.esm
PipboyRemover.esm
More Perks.esm
More Traits.esm
The.Armory.esm
FOOK - New Vegas.esm
FOOK - New Vegas DLCs.esm
Project Nevada - Core.esm
Project Nevada - Equipment.esm
Readius_NV.esp
More Perks Update.esp
More Traits Update.esp
NV_STTraitsandPerks - NVSE.esp
TGsArmorCollectionVegas.esp
LFox Bottle That Water.esp
UsableCigarettes neunen Ver for New Vegas.esp
Project Nevada - Cyberware.esp
Project Nevada - Dead Money.esp
Project Nevada - Honest Hearts.esp
Project Nevada - Rebalance.esp
FOOK - New Vegas.esp
FOOK - New Vegas DLCs.esp
NV Companion Outfits Playable.esp
FactionIDCards.esp
Realistic_Repair_NV.esp
mergepatch 7.11.4.esp
With all the messing I've been doing with it and the problem still existing in the same form no matter what, I was thinking that it could just be a corrupted save file but I started a new game and, unless that file got corrupted in an hour and a half's worth of play, that theory's debunked.

Running it through BOSS just sticks the FOOK and PN esps up near the top and shuffles a couple other ones in a way that would seem like it would break them (like the Faction ID mod behind FOOK).

I don't expect someone to look at it and go "right there, that's your problem", but does anyone have any idea where I might start looking? FNVEdit only shows conflicts that seem either intentional or minor. NVAllWeapons is showing up red but it looks like the merge patch resolves everything but one entry (for FookWeapARxChineseAssaultRifleWEAP). PN - Rebalance has got a lot of red entries in Leveled Item, but they're being overridden by FOOK and I've tried loading PN after FOOK to no avail.

I kind of wish there was a crash course in resolving conflicts with FNVEdit somewhere instead of that 300 page manual. I mean, it's remarkable someone made a 300 page manual for a community made modding tool for a PC game, but I don't really have the time to read through it and figure out what's going on, and what I did read seemed to assume a lot of knowledge from the user.

Meat Recital posted:

Can anyone recommend a good, general purpose bugfix mod? I'm just getting started on this, and Obsidian games are notoriously rough around the edges.

I think FOOK's the gold standard, though it adds stuff along with the fixes. Nothing major - just some new clothes and weapons - but if you want a pure vanilla experience with less bugs, I've got nothing. New Vegas is pretty stable though, even near release (save for the performance problems it had). There are a few hitches but you'll probably be pretty surprised.

Don't use the unofficial patch, I hear it's long out of date and may cause more problems than it fixes.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Meat Recital posted:

None. New Vegas was buggy when it was released eight months ago, but a lot of patches have been released since then that greatly improve performance and address a lot of issues.

Except for the Dirty Business Suit / Grimy Business Suit bug. :argh:

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
What those other guys said: Vanilla New Vegas is pretty drat stable now. The last patch in particular has boosted performance noticeably (though I'm still hurting over the continued lack of Stutter Remover). It's really only with mods that you start coming across serious stability issues.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

To balance my putting down New Vegas Restoration earlier, the Willow companion mod currently popular on the Nexus is surprisingly low in creepiness. There'a a couple of overpowered perks (easily enough fixed in FNVEdit), but apart from that it's pretty good. Decent voice acting too, which is unusual in a fan production.

(New Vegas Bounties has good voice acting too, or at least Randall does)

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Are there no terrain mods other than NV - Terrain Recreational Project? From what I found most texture mods only change rocks and I'm bored of how brown TRP makes most of the world. I'm using just Textures Over Time and Poco Bueno now.

Same for good hair packs, the quality of most of the hair in Lings and Mitoko Beauty Project is shockingly low.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Carecat posted:

Same for good hair packs, the quality of most of the hair in Lings and Mitoko Beauty Project is shockingly low.

A lot of the stuff in Ling's was present in FO3 mods but had much better... (texturing? Normal mapping? Whatever controls the reflectivity.) in that incarnation.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Carecat posted:

Quite a few of the styles are passable, except with the small problem that nobody upscaled them to fit the head shape properly, so you get bald spots normally and massive ragged patches of missing hair when you're wearing a hat.

That and half of them make your Courier look like a loving anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm gonna have to uninstall EVE. Ever time I gib more than one person I crash. And I'm on an explosives run!