Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I magnetized the turrets on my Leman Russes so I can switch out the main guns and use a different variant every game. Magnetizing infantry sounds like hell though, not that you could really do it with guard. What's the sticky stuff you guys say is good for keeping sponson guns in place but still swappable? Blue tack or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Lincoln posted:

While we're on the subject of Finecast, etc...

As a relative newcomer to this game, I'm not sure I understand why anything at all is/was still being made in metal. A few metal figs came with my Ork Spearhead box, and they seem to have more drawbacks than advantages compared to the plastic models. Plastic just seem way easier to work with, and I think the level of detail is great.

It's more of a legacy thing than anything else.
Back in the day they couldn't get as much detail out of the plastics as they could with metals, plus any miscast metals could be melted back down and remolded.

After building a metal unit of blood knights I've grown to hate having to push a ten pound unit across the board.
Of course, I also remember the days of loving metal tanks. poo poo was awful, but it was all we had.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Lincoln posted:

As a relative newcomer to this game, I'm not sure I understand why anything at all is/was still being made in metal. A few metal figs came with my Ork Spearhead box, and they seem to have more drawbacks than advantages compared to the plastic models. Plastic just seem way easier to work with, and I think the level of detail is great.

I don't like resin that much to be honest. It's not nearly as easy to work with as plastic and it can warp much more easily than metal; however, unlike metal you need to heat it to put it back in place.

I like metal miniatures, they have a good weight to them. :unsmith:

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
Metal is great. As long as the cast is okay they're impossible to gently caress up - you can always dunk them in whatever godawful chemicals you need to remove any unwanted paint/glue/cheeto dust. They don't warp or sag or shatter, you can fuckin dropkick them and they can always be glued back together if need be. As for detail, GW's plastics are the exception to the rule, and only now are other companies finally starting to produce plastic minis of comparable quality to their metals. I'll miss pewter, but I'll get over it I guess.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Manifest posted:

After building a metal unit of blood knights I've grown to hate having to push a ten pound unit across the board.
Of course, I also remember the days of loving metal tanks. poo poo was awful, but it was all we had.

Metal tanks you're making GBS threads me. I saw a picture of a metal Killa Kan the other day and thought, "Oh man, that's got to be heavy and easy to ruin." I mean, if my plastic warboss falls over, his boss pole isn't getting bent. He's lightweight plastic. How in the world did they make metal tanks? They were at least hollow, yes?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Lincoln posted:

Metal tanks you're making GBS threads me. I saw a picture of a metal Killa Kan the other day and thought, "Oh man, that's got to be heavy and easy to ruin." I mean, if my plastic warboss falls over, his boss pole isn't getting bent. He's lightweight plastic. How in the world did they make metal tanks? They were at least hollow, yes?

That's what we had to deal with back in the day. You should've seen the MkI Rhinos.

2nd ed. plastic miniatures were pretty much the worst in 40K history. And I had to pick this moment to start playing :suicide:

As for the tanks: Hull/treads were plastic, the main types (Chimera/Rhino/Leman Russ) were plastic, while the variants (later Predators, Demolishers, etc.) had metal replacement turrets/sponsons/whatever differed. It's as bad as it sounds...
Unless you're talking about the Imperial Steam Tank from WHFB. That piece of poo poo was all metal (and hollow).

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The best vehicles were made out of used deodorant containers.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Pierzak posted:

2nd ed. plastic miniatures were pretty much the worst in 40K history. And I had to pick this moment to start playing :suicide:
You take that back. Old school Land Raiders (Two for £6!) were the best tank, and I'll fight you for their honour. :colbert:

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I'm still lugging around my metal dread and land speeder. I cringe at the thought of dropping it on my toe.

FiendishThingy
Sep 7, 2003

JesustheDarkLord posted:

This was the closest I could get:

I really like those old Horrors. I just pulled these out of the simply green.

Going to use them for a Tzeentch themed CSM army. Still trying to decide on a color scheme.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Enjoy my lovely photography.

I discovered on this project that the old method I had been using for blue denim-like fabric was crap and I made it better! Shadow Grey basecoat, Ice Blue midshade, washed in Badab Black, highlights in Ice Blue and extreme highlights with Spess Wolfs Grey. It looks very nice to my eye!

The red scabbard was just something nice, a splash of something different to catch the eye. The hardest part was the Warpstone, which I'm not very happy with. Stupid warpstone.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dark angels green with gnarloc as a base for the highlights looks good as warpstone.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Lincoln posted:

To elaborate somewhat on this:

The molds that GW uses to make its high-detail plastic kits are very expensive. These are not melt-and-pour things some dude can cook up in his basement, they are pretty advanced and very complicated pieces of equipment. As such, it's really only profitable for GW to make them for kits that they are going to sell in an appreciable volume. People are going to buy a ton of ork boyz, so this kit makes sense in plastic. But how many warbosses are they going to get? One? Two? So for a long while many of these single miniatures were not cost-effective to make in plastic compared to the relatively cheap (and established) metal casting.

Note this is why we have ended up with finecast; it still isn't cost effective for GW to redo all their miniatures in the plastic molds, but it is apparently worthwhile for them to switch from metal to resin, which is a similar enough casting process that they can repurpose a lot.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
On the subject of warpstone, try and get a hair-width white line in the middle of your highlights. It really makes the effect.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I recently finished this model here

It came with a sheet of decals and a sheet of the same images as water transfers. I used the decals and i have no use for the water transfers.

If anyone wants to take them off my hands for the cost of shipping I would be glad to get rid of them.

Imagine the look of pure terror your opponents will have when they see your newly "improved" Dreadknight placed on the table

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 12, 2011

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
^^^^^^
You would get a lot of
with decals like that.

Update on my termy army.

so I wanted to take better pictures of my AOBR terminator that I modified, so I did!

Still needs a pair of spiky racks and a bit of clean up on areas and mold lines.

beyond that what do 'yall think?

Man, my slaanesh symbol blows, gotta re-do. My bad for using almost cured GS I suppose.

Also, I saw a painting guide for doing emperor's children, but steps 2-6 seem like a lot of waist just to get purple on black.

The last two seem like there is highlighting, but this looks like Prime-Basecoat-Highlight would be just as effective.

Anyone else got their method to paint Emp's Kidz?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Shockeh posted:

You take that back. Old school Land Raiders (Two for £6!) were the best tank, and I'll fight you for their honour. :colbert:

Which part of "2nd edition" do you not understand? AFAIR old Land Raiders were 1st ed (at least once I started 40K they were nowhere to be seen). And yes, they were good.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

In 2e Land Raiders were almost mythical things, and worth a fortune in nerd dollars. They had the best weapons and armor in the game, and were nearly impossible to find.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Finished the first trueborn, the others still need basing.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
That chessboard is either too small or too big

Looking nice as always

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Lincoln posted:

I still have and use a metal space marine dread, It was just several pieces glued together, while the pieces had lots of cavities its not hollow, weights close to a pound too.

For real madness the first thunderhawk gunship was a all pewter model

http://media.photobucket.com/image/metal%20thunderhawk/necrons-will-prevail/VERY%2520RARE%2520Thunderhawk%2520Gunship/thunderhawk2.jpg

somehow they made a flying base for that!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Ezekiel_980 posted:

I still have and use a metal space marine dread, It was just several pieces glued together, while the pieces had lots of cavities its not hollow, weights close to a pound too.

For real madness the first thunderhawk gunship was a all pewter model

http://media.photobucket.com/image/metal%20thunderhawk/necrons-will-prevail/VERY%2520RARE%2520Thunderhawk%2520Gunship/thunderhawk2.jpg

somehow they made a flying base for that!

My Chaos Dreadnought is all metal. It weighs an absolute ton. I also have a solid pewter space marine bike that is heavy as hell.

Back in the day, the plastic Land Raiders were awesome because they were SOOOO SMALL and could transport terminators.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Imagine for a moment I had completely lost my mind and was actually considering painting quartered black and white CSM (Sons of Malice), what would be the best basing colour to really set them off? Hypothetically of course.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I'd go with a reddish dirt, myself.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

richyp posted:

Finished the first trueborn, the others still need basing.

I painted my first no help miniature yesterday and thought he was pretty good. Then I read this thread :(

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

luscious posted:

I painted my first no help miniature yesterday and thought he was pretty good. Then I read this thread :(

Never let other people's brilliance put you off, they all started at exactly the same point as you.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

WhiteOutMouse posted:

^^^^^^
Still needs a pair of spiky racks and a bit of clean up on areas and mold lines.

beyond that what do 'yall think?

Also, I saw a painting guide for doing emperor's children, but steps 2-6 seem like a lot of waist just to get purple on black.

The last two seem like there is highlighting, but this looks like Prime-Basecoat-Highlight would be just as effective.

Anyone else got their method to paint Emp's Kidz?

Prime White, wash blue, purple in gaps, highlight with greens to yellow so that it's like an abrasive lighting change. But that's just me. Drybrush pink anywhere you think it's getting a little out of hand.

And please, PLEASE don't ruin a great chaos terminator with a spice rack. Spice racks are the dumbest loving lameass 'visual element' ever to enter 40k.

If you want something on his back, do a monster pelt, or better yet a cloak made of screaming faces.

If you want something sticking up, limit yourself to *pair* of spikes or blades, and make them have some personality. Like they're held by creepy hands--skeleton or demon that are growing out of the armor.

Don't be that guy who has chaos terminators with spice racks.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

Lungboy posted:

Never let other people's brilliance put you off, they all started at exactly the same point as you.

oh I know. It's just going to be a little while before I show one of them off. It's nice to read the thread, though, because it definitely gives me ideas on highlighting which was what I was having the most problems with. I'm also using random little guys that I got for free from the hobby shop owner so they're not quite as interesting as some of the ones posted in here. I'm in it more for the relaxation and fun of it. But never say never... perhaps one day I will play with them.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

luscious posted:

oh I know. It's just going to be a little while before I show one of them off. It's nice to read the thread, though, because it definitely gives me ideas on highlighting which was what I was having the most problems with. I'm also using random little guys that I got for free from the hobby shop owner so they're not quite as interesting as some of the ones posted in here. I'm in it more for the relaxation and fun of it. But never say never... perhaps one day I will play with them.

The great thing about goons is that they'll be blunt and honest which is the best way to improve. Like lungboy said everyone starts the same, so don't be afraid to ask people here for help. Compared to warseer etc where there is never any cr.itical feedback

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I've made a bunch of historical terrain before, but this is my first attempt at sci-fi terrain. Forum member Fyrbrand won a custom terrain piece in the last oath thread, and this is the result. It was a real head scratcher as I found myself in the challanging situation of making an Imperial plant that has been overrun by Orks, with almost no Imperial or Ork bitz in my entire house! Two scavanged lanterns from the Imperial plastic terrain sets and an old Goblin command sprue had to do. And a ton of balsa, some cardboard and some cans, of course. Here are the results, an Imperial chemical plant that has been looted by Orks and turned into a brewery/drive through centre for fine greenskin dining:

I wanted the original Imperial sign to be visible but mostly covered by Ork graffitti. Unfortunately it was a bit too small for that effect, and in the end it's almost entirely covered. The door is made of green stuff, plasticard, and some spare pieces from a Chimera kit!

The silo needed something to distract from the loud expression of "HELLO, I AM A PRINGLES CAN!". A big glyph had to do.

In a similar vein, this side look horribly bland, flat and boring. I couldn't get it to work at all, until I planted a big ol' Ork face on it. It really saved the entire terrain piece, the difference was huge.

Fyrbrand got to choose the name of the pub. I felt bad that I had no actual squigs, so the thematic sign was the least I could do. These wooden parts also looked incredibly bland at first, until I figured out to scribble checker patterns and dags on them to break it up visually.

Finally, I didn't want this piece to be a useless lump on the tabletop. The basic idea when I started out was to make something big enough to hide a sizeable unit from line of fire. The roof is big enough to serve as a good position for a small unit of heavy support, while also being risky since they are left with not so much cover. It's also climbable from both sides. Hopefully it will be practical to use, not just thematic.

There are still small pieces to dab at, and I might work a little bit more on the snow. The second layer improved the snow a lot, but there are still parts that look a bit weird (first layer looked like seagull droppings, so it's an improvement!). Feedback is welcome as I'm about to ship it out to Fyrbrand this week.

Overall it was fun and a learning experience, but next time I'll scavange a lot more bits from people around me before I try to make something similar!

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

What size magnets should i buy to magnetize 20mm bases and is that "rubber steel" stuff worth the price? I am also open to any other suggestions for movement trays.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

lilljonas posted:

Fyrbrand got to choose the name of the pub. I felt bad that I had no actual squigs, so the thematic sign was the least I could do. These wooden parts also looked incredibly bland at first, until I figured out to scribble checker patterns and dags on them to break it up visually.

The gynodontia on da squig pit is awesome. Probably my favorite part.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Awesome terrain

That reminds me, I still need to ask PaintVagrant about where I am in the queue with my oath model. I can never remember when he's online.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
my mind = blown

Also MSP: you're probably best off emailing or sending a PM his way.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Fyrbrand posted:

my mind = blown

Also MSP: you're probably best off emailing or sending a PM his way.

I got nervous when I checked your paint scheme and noticed that you don't use checkers on your orks, but I kind of needed them to spruce things up. :ohdear:

Oh, and if you email me your address I'll ship it as soon as I find a box with proper proportions.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

lilljonas posted:

I got nervous when I checked your paint scheme and noticed that you don't use checkers on your orks, but I kind of needed them to spruce things up. :ohdear:

Oh, and if you email me your address I'll ship it as soon as I find a box with proper proportions.

Nah it's cool. I've got checks and dags on a few infantry, and most of my vehicles. I'm generally too lazy to do that kind of stuff on 6pt boyz, though.

Thanks again man, super stoked on this thing. Email incoming.

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Awesome terrain

That reminds me, I still need to ask PaintVagrant about where I am in the queue with my oath model. I can never remember when he's online.

He's on AIM quite frequently.

TarDolphinorShark: Rubber steel? if it's those things you use to make fridge magnets with it's not very strong, I used it to base some epic minis for a miniature portable space hulk game I've been working on and they can barely hold those.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
Here's some Warmachine stuff:
eVlad done except for his base:

Behemoth done except for his base:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

!amicable posted:

Here's some Warmachine stuff:
eVlad done except for his base:

Behemoth done except for his base:

I like everything about these except the OSL eyes on the jack. the lighting effect isn't working for me but it may be the camera making it look that way, IDK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

I like everything about these except the OSL eyes on the jack. the lighting effect isn't working for me but it may be the camera making it look that way, IDK.

There are not that many areas that would catch that light. I didn't want them to be too glowy, but I want all of my jacks to have green glowy eyes:
Berserker
Beast 09
Spriggan

!amicable fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 12, 2011

• Locked thread