Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

HPL posted:

I figured out how to load two rolls of 120 on one reel.

Couldn't you have figured that out a little earlier? :bahgawd:
I just finished the last roll in a batch of 12, one roll at a time.

In retrospect, it's obvious. I'll make sure to try it next time.

Bonus question: I have some Delta 3200 expired January 2002. I have shot and developed one roll so far, and it came out extremely fogged. That's to be expected of high-speed film that old, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Paul MaudDib posted:

If you shoot Tri-X your negatives will always have a purple tint, it's just the color of the base.

I've been getting my tri-x to lose that tint by just fixing the hell out of it. 8 minutes seems to do the trick.

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jul 11, 2011

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
So I just learned that a "snip test" refers to putting the leader in more than just the fixer (i.e. the test that was explained on page one to figure out fixing time)

Is there a way to do a full-development snip test? Or is that something only big labs can do?

...or is it even worth it?

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!
Just got my last ever 35mm camera :)

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
That's a killer combo.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Please excuse the really dumb new guy question, but is that still considered a lens hood? Or is there another name for it?

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!
Yeah it's a lens hood. The reason it is vented is because part of it would overly obscure the viewfinder otherwise.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Here's two from Sanghai, can't decide which I like better.

Are the splotches from lovely development or is it lovely film?

spf3million fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 11, 2011

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

spf3million posted:

Here's two from Sanghai, can't decide which I like better.

Are the splotches fr0m lovely development or is it lovely film?

It's dust/hairs/etc. For skies or out of focus areas I lasso and use a dust/scratches filter, for areas with detail I'll clone stuff out manually (graphics tablet makes this a lot less tedious). If you're scanning them yourself, just try to keep the negatives/scanner as clean as you can to minimize post-work on your scans. If not, I dunno, try to find a better lab. That last one is pretty bad.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I'm thinking that it's film defects because these two are neighbors on the end of the roll and the rest of the roll scanned pretty cleanly. Tough to see on the upload but the splotches are kind of off-colored too, sort of blue-ish.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I was in Walgreen's yesterday and spotted their house brand (fuji) 800 speed film on sale for $1 a roll. I bought all the rolls available (only 6), but I couldn't help wonder why they were so cheap, as they don't expire until next year,
Then last night I had a dream where I was walking by there at night and they were junking all of their Noritsu equipment and cackling. :smith:

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Here is a shot I took with Portra 800. Notice how the blacks are not really black? They are like 80%?

This is overexposure, correct?

Same with these...

I am just trying to understand what I am doing wrong. I believe I am erring on the side of overexposure instead of underexposure when I am metering, but it seems to be giving me problems. I also shot a roll of Provia, but it seems that I may have underexposed the entire roll. Here's an example shot:

This is a fallen tree stump that is in the light. I believe I metered for both the light and the shadows and chose a middle value. But clearly the shot is underexposed. I just can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 12, 2011

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!
Yeah the first 3 are all over exposed. Last is under. Are they lab scans or your own?

I usually pick where I want shadow detail, meter there then drop that setting 2 stops. It's a quick and dirty zone system. It depends on the scene though, plus I always shoot b&w and printing my own stuff also helps me recover if I screw up.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The first two aren't really overexposed. If it were, you'd see all the white areas blown out. What you might want to try is doing an automatic level adjustment. That'll make things look more like what you were expecting. I just did a quick check with Photoshop Elements and they look way, way better with an auto level. I would say that the one with the fire engine is pooched though. The main thing with the first two is that the lower threshold of the black level isn't high enough so you're getting that weird washed-out look. Check the histograms of the photos and you'll see it. If I were the one shooting those first two, I would have shot it the same way.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

What helped my metering is doing a bunch of gray card tests. Do this with a bunch of different lighting situations where you meter the scene without the card first, then with it. I use a spotmeter but I imagine people use 18% gray cards with other meter types. In your first image I'd have probably metered right off the street itself (the asphalt), it'd probably be close to Zone V.

East Lake fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 12, 2011

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

East Lake posted:

In your first image I'd have probably metered right off the street itself (the asphalt), it'd probably be close to Zone V.

...with the benefit of hindsight. It turns out that asphalt is not always 18% gray, so I rely on my gray card to give me the right reading. Which is where the problem lies, because sometimes I get the right reading and sometimes I don't. So I must be doing something wrong, but only some of the time because half of my shots are okay! It's just the other half that are not...

Marman1209
Jun 14, 2005
NonSequar got me this account for no damned reason.
First two just look like lovely levels straight from the scanner, shrink them a bit and get rid of the magenta. Should be normal.

When you say you metered for light and shadow are you using a spot or incident meter? I don't think that works quite as well without a spot meter.

A dark forest floor metered correctly with a grey card/incident meter should be something like 1-2 stops below "zone 5". You set your exposure 2 stops above as an average of the light and dark incident meter reading and it's more like zone 2 or 1.

Transparency can't deal with that.

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."
Try finding some green grass instead of asphalt for an 18% gray card surrogate. I believe the light it reflects is pretty close to 18% so it will get you close enough for negative film.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Mannequin posted:

...with the benefit of hindsight. It turns out that asphalt is not always 18% gray, so I rely on my gray card to give me the right reading. Which is where the problem lies, because sometimes I get the right reading and sometimes I don't. So I must be doing something wrong, but only some of the time because half of my shots are okay! It's just the other half that are not...
It should be close enough though. I've been shooting slide films for the past couple months with a spot meter and don't screw up many exposures. I've been metering off rocks, branches, all sorts of stuff that's not a grey card but often close enough to act as a replacement, and I'm a newbie with spot metering. It's hard to say what's wrong because of the variables in your process, could be the way the meter works, how the gray card is oriented in relation to the light in the scene, scanner problem...

Edit: The darker grey section on the asphalt might be a bit better spot, hard to tell without being there.

East Lake fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 12, 2011

Ciro-Flex
Jan 28, 2009

Mannequin posted:

Here is a shot I took with Portra 800. Notice how the blacks are not really black? They are like 80%?

My Silverfast scans look like this when I'm using the wrong film profile. So that could be a clue if you're doing your own scanning.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Anyone have any advice on getting some expired film developed? I found some Blacks slide film that expired in 1982 and shot it for fun @ ISO 75 instead of it's rated 100, to try and account for the 3 decades. I'm pretty sure it's E6 but it doesn't say on it. Might just get it developed as C41 for fun.

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

MS-DURP gives you the only complete set of software tools for 17-bit systems.
Well I just got 200' of Vision 3 500T motion picture film and started bulk loading it. I learned two valuable things today:

1. 200' of film is a LOT of film, especially when only 100' fits in your bulk loader and you have to spool it by hand.

2. Apparently when you unstick tape from things it gives of a weird, faint green light. Usually not something I would notice, but when you're taping 200' of film to a spool in total darkness, it catches you off guard a bit.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Reichstag posted:

I was in Walgreen's yesterday and spotted their house brand (fuji) 800 speed film on sale for $1 a roll. I bought all the rolls available (only 6), but I couldn't help wonder why they were so cheap, as they don't expire until next year,

Could be the last of the now discontinued Fuji 800z.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

penneydude posted:

2. Apparently when you unstick tape from things it gives of a weird, faint green light. Usually not something I would notice, but when you're taping 200' of film to a spool in total darkness, it catches you off guard a bit.

That isn't just weird light, those are x-rays!

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

penneydude posted:

Triboluminescence! :science:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I've got 10 rolls of Arista Premium 400 on the way to me. This stuff better be as good as you guys say >: (

Ciro-Flex
Jan 28, 2009

QPZIL posted:

I've got 10 rolls of Arista Premium 400 on the way to me. This stuff better be as good as you guys say >: (

It's good poo poo. Develop in HC-110 and you'll have a lot to be happy about.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Ciro-Flex posted:

HC110 is on its way in the same order :cool:

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

MS-DURP gives you the only complete set of software tools for 17-bit systems.

Ciro-Flex posted:

I've had good luck developing Tri-X 400 with Diafine as well. There's nothing like being able to shoot half a roll on the streets of Paris in broad daylight and the other half at 3200+ in Notre Dame and then develop them in the same tank.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I know this comes up all the time, but for cheap b&w, 100 & 400, is Arista Premium (Tri-x) worth the $0.60/roll premium over Legacy Pro?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
^^^^I think it's worth it unless you like the heavier grain of the Legacy stuff.

penneydude posted:

I've had good luck developing Tri-X 400 with Diafine as well. There's nothing like being able to shoot half a roll on the streets of Paris in broad daylight and the other half at 3200+ in Notre Dame and then develop them in the same tank.

I use Arista Premium 400 (Tri-X) and my exposure/development is ASA 320 in 1:1 XTol for 7:45. I tested it that way for one of my body/lens combos, but it seems to work for everything I shoot it through. Good shadow detail and very fine grain.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I forgot how much I love Tri-X in Diafine. Just a quick negative scan, still need a few things before I'm set up to wet print.

Edit: stupid attachments

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 12, 2011

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

8th-samurai posted:

I forgot how much I love Tri-X in Diafine. Just a quick negative scan, still need a few things before I'm set up to wet print.

I really need to get some more Diafine, I love Acros in HC110, but I really loved tri-x in Diafine.

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."
I've been using Tri X 400 at its rated ASA, as well as pushed 2 stops in D76 1:1, and have been pleased with the results. Just to throw another idea out there.

Also according to two artists at the St Joe art festival film is dead, so why are we even talking about this?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Ferris Bueller posted:

Also according to two artists at the St Joe art festival film is dead, so why are we even talking about this?

Necrophilia.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Marman1209 posted:

When you say you metered for light and shadow are you using a spot or incident meter? I don't think that works quite as well without a spot meter.

Incident meter. I have had luck averaging in the past, but maybe I was doing something wrong. I want a spot meter but I can't afford one at the moment. My only alternative is to haul around my dslr (not fun!).

Marman1209 posted:

A dark forest floor metered correctly with a grey card/incident meter should be something like 1-2 stops below "zone 5". You set your exposure 2 stops above as an average of the light and dark incident meter reading and it's more like zone 2 or 1.

While this may be true, logic says I should be able to rely on my meter to give me the correct exposure reading. Maybe I shouldn't have averaged anything out. In the shot I posted it looks like I metered for the light and not at all for the shadows, so it's possible I hosed something up.

Ciro-Flex posted:

My Silverfast scans look like this when I'm using the wrong film profile. So that could be a clue if you're doing your own scanning.

I had them professionally drum scanned. Some of the other Portra 800 shots came out fine, so I'm guessing I just overexposed it. It seems like several other shots have this characteristic, so I may be overexposing just in general. Often, I can fix it in Photoshop but I don't want to rely on graphics software as a crutch. I guess I just need to shoot more and experiment. I may take a roll or two and do some bracketing to see where that gets me.

8th-samurai posted:

This looks a little underexposed but otherwise very nice!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Mannequin posted:

I had them professionally drum scanned. Some of the other Portra 800 shots came out fine, so I'm guessing I just overexposed it. It seems like several other shots have this characteristic, so I may be overexposing just in general. Often, I can fix it in Photoshop but I don't want to rely on graphics software as a crutch. I guess I just need to shoot more and experiment. I may take a roll or two and do some bracketing to see where that gets me.

This looks a little underexposed but otherwise very nice!

Scans reallys need the black and white points set in post whether they are drum scans or done at the drugstore. Import your "overexposed" photos into PS and just set the levels. Case in point my above shot. It looks slightly underexposed to you because I never set a white point just the black on so there is no actual true white in that image.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

spf3million posted:

I know this comes up all the time, but for cheap b&w, 100 & 400, is Arista Premium (Tri-x) worth the $0.60/roll premium over Legacy Pro?

Assuming you mean LP400 vs AP400. That's really up to you but I lean to yes. Tri-X is a classic and there are lots of good developing recipes out for it. LP400 is Neopan 400. I like it but not quite as much as Tri-X, it's a touch grainier (in Rodinal vs HC-110 for Tri-X) and it doesn't have the insane pushability of Tri-X.

LP100 is totally different (T-grain) and is my favorite 100 speed film. The grain is so fine that you can get away with using dilute Rodinal to boost acutance (edge sharpness) without any real penalty. It has no reciprocity failure to 1000 seconds and is probably the cheapest high-quality (not Chinese or Foma) film out there.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 13, 2011

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
That's so weird. Any previous examples I've seen of the Legacy Pro stuff had heavy grain. Never would have guessed it was a tabular grained stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Mannequin posted:

Think about it this way, what you're doing in Photoshop, you could easily be doing in wet printing. One of the great things about film is how much info you can pull from it anyways, I wouldn't worry so hard about a slight overexposure, when it's so easily fixable and very much a part of the process, not a crutch at all.