Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

moms pubis posted:

For my money, TBoGT's explosive automatic shotgun (a.k.a. the Carmelter) is the most fun weapon of the whole series. Once I unlocked it at my apartment I didn't use anything else for the rest of the game; it can decimate just about anything with alarming efficiency.

Yeah, it's very nice against helis and cars, but I prefer the suppressor's putt-putt-putt in general. Your Carmelter (:)) is pure overkill against soft targets. Wouldn't mind owning one IRL though. I'd like to see the average burglars' reaction to something that reduces their standard white panel van to yoghurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Himuro posted:

If I had my way GTA5 won't have a stupid cover system.

Yeah gently caress cover systems, it is so dull camping out behind pillars. The combat in gta is the weakest part in my opinion.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You know you don't have to use the cover system, right? I never understand why people are so adamant about removing features they don't have to use. Maybe some people do like the cover system.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

You don't have to, but some missions are balanced around it making them way harder then they should be if you don't want to use cover.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Underflow posted:

Yeah, it's very nice against helis and cars, but I prefer the suppressor's putt-putt-putt in general. Your Carmelter (:)) is pure overkill against soft targets. Wouldn't mind owning one IRL though. I'd like to see the average burglars' reaction to something that reduces their standard white panel van to yoghurt.

Cool violent dominance fantasy, bro.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
I really like the cover system (and IV's gunplay in general). It makes big firefights a lot more manageable than they used to be, and it's nice being able to slide around between cover spots without exposing myself for too long.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Doc Hawkins posted:

Cool violent dominance fantasy, bro.

Yeah. With 18 burglary attempts on our house in 3 years and a trial facing 6 years for possession of military firearms, after which they confiscated all my hardware - but let me go, since a) I'm a vet who just managed to keep some souvenir h/w; 2) several burglaries by groups of men in skimasks with shortened shotguns had been reported in my neighbourhood already - I can only live in a fantasy world, kid.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Underflow posted:

Yeah. With 18 burglary attempts on our house in 3 years and a trial facing 6 years for possession of military firearms, after which they confiscated all my hardware - but let me go, since a) I'm a vet who just managed to keep some souvenir h/w; 2) several burglaries by groups of men in skimasks with shortened shotguns had been reported in my neighbourhood already - I can only live in a fantasy world, kid.

gently caress do you live, colombia?

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Fayez Butts posted:

gently caress do you live, colombia?

In a bad part (*) of a large city agglomeration in France.

When the Gendarmes' SWAT team called after a tip-off that there was a guy shooting (#9 birdshot; i.e. not very damaging at all at ~30ft distance; and the first shot was a non-lethal synthetic cartridge) at a group of armed & masked troublemakers, they felt bad enough to almost leave me my ~35yr old service weapon.

Following their (I presume) sympathetic report and other mitigating circumstances, the court dismissed the case, even though according to French law I could have copped 6 years for arms traffic and possession combined, and that's without the actual shooting part. This ain't the States, alas.

It's not that I'm a gun nut (what I had was collecting dust in a box), but the EU way of creating a kind of adult daycare system where nobody is supposed to do anything on their own seems strange to me. France is particularly keen on 'public assistance', tho not always in a bad way. I'm originally from southern Africa, btw.

OK, enough with the caring & sharing and back to video game violence.

e: (*) bad part as in popular target, not the surroundings as such

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

moms pubis posted:

I really like the cover system (and IV's gunplay in general). It makes big firefights a lot more manageable than they used to be, and it's nice being able to slide around between cover spots without exposing myself for too long.

Man are you nuts? RDR fixed the godawful gunplay of GTA4. It's small things: using the left trigger to pop out of cover and aim, and enemies not being comically resistant to bullets. The health system in GTA4 is more tedious, but also more tense - RDR felt too easy all the way through because hey I can just hide for a minute and I'll be gravy! I'd probably prefer a middle-ground with a health bar as in GTA4, but one that regenerates slowly when I'm not fighting.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Underflow posted:

Wouldn't mind owning one IRL though.
I love our gun laws that allow stuff like this.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
The cover system in GTA IV was and still is pretty good. It's not overly complex, it just does the job. I like that if you aim when in cover but not shooting your character pokes their head out, that was a really nice little touch.

Out of all the complaints I've head about that game, never known anyone to have an issue with the gunplay. It's hard but it's a lot of fun. 99% of the complaints I've heard have been made about the driving mechanics.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

nerdly_dood posted:

loving hell - I envy you guys. Here in the UK it's incredibly difficult to own a gun, and if you can have one the laws on keeping the weapon safe are strictly enforced.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Edit: < Removed Opinion about guns and how I look at them being so easy to get in some countries that adds nothing to the discussion. >

Zedd fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 12, 2011

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Lurchibles posted:

The cover system in GTA IV was and still is pretty good. It's not overly complex, it just does the job. I like that if you aim when in cover but not shooting your character pokes their head out, that was a really nice little touch.

Out of all the complaints I've head about that game, never known anyone to have an issue with the gunplay. It's hard but it's a lot of fun. 99% of the complaints I've heard have been made about the driving mechanics.

If you aim when in cover, your character should pop out so you can line up a shot. GTA4 doesn't do this, instead as you said your character pokes their head out. The problem is that isn't helpful, as when you press the button to shoot your character will pop their entire body out of cover and it moves your reticule. It's bad design and it really bugs me. I maintain that RDR perfected gunfights with that game engine, they're so much more enjoyable.

Incidentally the driving mechanics never really bothered me so I guess I'm just weird???

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

Underflow posted:

You can pretty safely ignore Doc Hawkins. He's a troll that will come running into any thread where somebody says they "raped a noob".

Just picked up GTAIV with the DLC for included and I'll be playing TBOGT for the first time pretty soon. Excited!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Lurchibles posted:

Honestly, I don't think any game mechanics in GTA IV are particularly bad outside of the lack of checkpoints. There's definitely stuff I think could have been done differently, added, or changed, but even the melee--which I don't like very much--is perfectly functional. Beyond that, I think it controls a hell a lot better than Vice City and San Andreas.

I get why people find realistic cars, cover shooting, and man-dates boring and unfitting of the game. I still don't think those things are actually bad.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I think that whole "pop out of cover, whoops rectangle moved" is the thing that makes me dislike the aiming system so much; still love the game as a whole so no big deal.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

nerdly_dood posted:

Hehe, yeah. You could have a regular party with that. First some Dragon Breath to grill the meat, then flares in rhythm with the music, and confetti to top things off properly. Would feel silly if you actually need the thing and realised you got confetti in there. Do they also have cartridges with little flags that say BANG?

Lurchibles posted:

loving hell - I envy you guys. Here in the UK it's incredibly difficult to own a gun, and if you can have one the laws on keeping the weapon safe are strictly enforced.

Tell me about it. And 5 years straight if you own an unregistered one; last time I looked.

Trap Star posted:

You can pretty safely ignore Doc Hawkins. He's a troll that will come running into any thread where somebody says they "raped a noob".

Ah okay, I never know these things.

Trap Star posted:

Just picked up GTAIV with the DLC for included and I'll be playing TBOGT for the first time pretty soon. Excited!

You're going to have some serious fun. Be sure not to play TBoGT right after the main story though. Better do TLaD first.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

Zedd posted:

I think that whole "pop out of cover, whoops rectangle moved" is the thing that makes me dislike the aiming system so much; still love the game as a whole so no big deal.
Yeah, that's the only real flaw I can find with it, but I've gotten used to it so I can compensate without too much trouble.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Timeless Appeal posted:

I get why people find realistic cars, cover shooting, and man-dates boring and unfitting of the game. I still don't think those things are actually bad.

What version are you playing that contains realistic cars?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

davebo posted:

What version are you playing that contains realistic cars?
You dont find the driving physics to be close to real life? I mean clearly its not a sim but the cars behave like theyre supposed to.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Cage posted:

You dont find the driving physics to be close to real life? I mean clearly its not a sim but the cars behave like theyre supposed to.

I generally don't. The brakes for the cars in the game feel like they are poo poo.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The Turismo and such brake awesome. The beaters and SUVs barely brake at all.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

blackguy32 posted:

I generally don't. The brakes for the cars in the game feel like they are poo poo.
How so? I dont think Ive ever seen anyone complain about the brakes, you aren't braking and turning at the same time, right?

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
They're obviously not true-to-life but they're certainly a lot more realistic than the cars in any previous GTA.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
GTAIV cars are exactly as far removed from reality as previous iterations, just in the opposite direction.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

nerdly_dood posted:

I'm not a big shotgun fan, but I would honestly love having some of those confetti rounds. I might even go for the Dragon's Breath, as completely insane and impractical as it sounds. Combining them together in a single-shot, double-barrel shotgun would be the closest the average person could come to being a real-life Joker. Imagine holding up a bank with a shotgun that fires confetti and a big, gently caress-off wall of flame.

By the way this is not an endorsement of performing actual criminal activities, please don't start a stupid de-rail, you big stupids.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Underflow posted:

Wouldn't mind owning one IRL though.

Don't bother, they're pretty lame. The AA-12 has been kicking around since the '70s in some form or another, and nobody adopted it for numerous reasons :v:

nerdly_dood posted:

Good luck getting anything from Firequest working as advertised/working at all.

Has there been any news on GTA5 lately? Last I saw was something about how it'll be a real world Los Angeles and not Los Santos :(

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I'm so bored by TLAD, should I even bother? Will it ever be more than just "ride motorcycle to location, shoot people, ride motorcycle back to gang home"?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Saint Freak posted:

GTAIV cars are exactly as far removed from reality as previous iterations, just in the opposite direction.
What does this mean? You just said "cars" so Im not sure what aspect of the cars youre talking about. What is it about driving that makes it so far removed from real life?

Capn Beeb posted:

Has there been any news on GTA5 lately? Last I saw was something about how it'll be a real world Los Angeles and not Los Santos :(
Theres been no news on GTA5 ever, except that its happening.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I mean, I love the banter between Brian and Johnny although sometimes the obtuseness gets to me a little too much.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

ZeeBoi posted:

I'm so bored by TLAD, should I even bother? Will it ever be more than just "ride motorcycle to location, shoot people, ride motorcycle back to gang home"?

That's pretty much what it is. I thought it was by far the weakest of the three GTA4 games. It doesn't help that the only safehouse you get for 3/4 of the game is way in the rear end-end of Alderney so you have to drive the ropey motorcycles for ages to get anywhere. You get a second safehouse near the end of the game but it's like three blocks away from the first one.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Cage posted:

What does this mean? You just said "cars" so Im not sure what aspect of the cars youre talking about. What is it about driving that makes it so far removed from real life?
Theres been no news on GTA5 ever, except that its happening.

If you drive a car in real life, you will find its very different from driving them in the game. The ones in the game tend to spin out very easily even if they aren't going that fast.

Also, I think Jim is one of my favorite characters out of all of GTA4. It sucks that he dies though.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 12, 2011

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

blackguy32 posted:

If you drive a car in real life, you will find its very different from driving them in the game. The ones in the game tend to spin out very easily even if they aren't going that fast.
I dont mean to be a dick but I think this is just your skills coming into factor here, I only spin out in GTA4 when I want to do a burnout.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Cage posted:

I dont mean to be a dick but I think this is just your skills coming into factor here, I only spin out in GTA4 when I want to do a burnout.

Actually, its just the driving feeling like poo poo.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Wait, did Episodes change the health system? Because vanilla GTAIV definitely had a health bar, even if it did wrap around the compass.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
It's pretty obvious that this driving "debate" is just going to be some people saying "the driving is fun" and others saying "the driving sucks" ad nauseam, so maybe we should cut this poo poo out.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

blackguy32 posted:

The same basic mechanics are there, but things like the grip of the tires is out of whack. I think if road grip was a bit stickier, it would go a long way in improving the driving.

Driving the motorcycles, even in TLaD, is a loving chore that resembles nothing in real life. All of the sport bikes in the game have rear tires coated in baby oil apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

blackguy32 posted:

This is just turning into a silly "no u" argument. The only reason Ive been playing this game since release is the driving physics so maybe it just clicks me with more. When you start driving better youre going to enjoy it a lot more, it seems like people who like it are better at it, and the people that dislike it do so because they havent gotten used to the switch from the past GTAs.

• Locked thread