Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Ashenai posted:

Godville!

Watch out for Lucius Sulla, hero of the Great Jupiter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prosaic
May 20, 2010
Can anyone recommend a good single player sandbox FPS? I'm thinking anything along the lines of Crysis 1 to Arma.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
FarCry 2 has its flaws but is overall an excellent game.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

What's the best Dragonball Z fighting game for the PS2? I feel like a nostalgia trip.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
I overlooked Far Cry 2 when it came out, but it's a really awesome game. I played Just Cause 2 first, which is similar but way more arcadey, so I miss having a grappling hook to cut down on travel time, but it's definitely great. Also, it still looks pretty good for a 3-year-old game.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

The Ninth Layer posted:

What's the best Dragonball Z fighting game for the PS2? I feel like a nostalgia trip.

I hate that I have an answer, but take comfort in the fact that I'm probably wrong, as newer versions have probably ousted these: Dragonball Budokai 3 is a good straight tekken-type brawler (with 'magic' and power blasts, etc), and a pretty fun 'rock paper scissors' finishing move system. Pretty simple but very brutal and visceral. The Budokai Tenkaichi games (I think I played up to the 2nd one) are much more of a 'dbz simulator', and involve flying all around a big map, winging attacks at your opponent, and are much more like the show. Story modes, etc. Both are good, and unique to one another.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Spy posted:

Looking for a game I can play at work. I am currently playing Solium Infernum and its great, but looking for something different. Needs to be able to play in a windows mode, probably 1 GB or less install and preferably turn based so I can minimize at will. Any suggestions?

Myriad posted:

Can someone recommend me a turn based game with multiplayer? My internet can't handle real time stuff and I wish to play a game with my friend. Something like Civ would be good.

Both of you want VANTAGE MASTER ONLINE (Also called Vantage Master 2). It was a Final Fantasy Tactics meets Magic The Gathering game made for PC by Nihon Falcom (the Ys people). They decided at the last minute that there was no money in a US release (they were beyond right on this one) so they gave it away (fully translated) for free online. It'll run on just about anything, is fun as hell and one of those games that's fast to learn but hard to master. Just don't try playing with any guys from NeoGAF, there are war stories of terror and anguish from the days of the GAF IRC VMO games. Suffice to say that it can get competetive and sometimes there are dick move strategies you can employ. Also play the single player because it teaches you how to play and IIRC is how you unlock some hidden characters.

http://www.falcom.com/vantage/index_e.html

(some characters are better than others, but all have a legitimate play style that can win)

BrainGlitch
Jan 14, 2007

Good sir, you can't pay me enough to go to France while our countries are at war!
Everyone who just suggested Far Cry 2 is awful ohgod you dicks.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Prosaic posted:

Can anyone recommend a good single player sandbox FPS? I'm thinking anything along the lines of Crysis 1 to Arma.

I hope you didn't buy Far Cry 2 because STALKER trilogy is the actual answer. If you don't have the money just get Call of Pripyat - I have to note that I personally enjoyed the first one much more as it has simply a better story and more epic sights (I never had problems with starting out, everything perfectly "clicked" with me from the beginning) but from what I'm hearing I'm alone in this department.

EDIT: Oh yeah, if you like open-world FPS games which like STALKER have an inventory system but take place on islands similar to Far Cry, Crysis or Just Cause 2 then there are 3 awesome titles by a Ukrainian studio Deep Shadows:

Boiling Point: Road to Hell (this is vintage - Xenus 1 in Ukraine) - gameplay video
White Gold: War in Paradise (Xenus 2 in Ukraine) - gameplay video
Precursors (this is more about visiting various alien planets and killing it's faunas) gameplay video

Check out more gameplay videos as these titles offer something that is quite rare in the genre. You can buy them at Gamers Gate.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jul 12, 2011

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
It's worth noting that the Xenus games are horribly buggy though. I do personally like White Gold (I picked it up on Gamers Gate) but there are a poo poo load of bugs! Oh and HILARIOUSLY bad English dubbing.

But STALKER is definitely the direction to go in. Call of Pripyat is arguably more "open world" minded in its design than the first game, although the first one (SoC) has much better direction and story.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The Ninth Layer posted:

Budokai Tenkaichi 3 easily. So much time spent on that game, and I don't like fighting games.

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
I'm looking for a worldbuilding/creation game (preferably in space or fantasy) , or maybe a space 4x? I cant remember the worldbuilding game I played most recently, however for the space games I have galciv2, MoO2, and sword of the stars. Any suggestions?

Morning fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 12, 2011

Prosaic
May 20, 2010

Palpek posted:

I hope you didn't buy Far Cry 2 because STALKER trilogy is the actual answer. If you don't have the money just get Call of Pripyat - I have to note that I personally enjoyed the first one much more as it has simply a better story and more epic sights (I never had problems with starting out, everything perfectly "clicked" with me from the beginning) but from what I'm hearing I'm alone in this department.

EDIT: Oh yeah, if you like open-world FPS games which like STALKER have an inventory system but take place on islands similar to Far Cry, Crysis or Just Cause 2 then there are 3 awesome titles by a Ukrainian studio Deep Shadows:

Boiling Point: Road to Hell (this is vintage - Xenus 1 in Ukraine) - gameplay video
White Gold: War in Paradise (Xenus 2 in Ukraine) - gameplay video
Precursors (this is more about visiting various alien planets and killing it's faunas) gameplay video

Check out more gameplay videos as these titles offer something that is quite rare in the genre. You can buy them at Gamers Gate.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, but I've actually played Far Cry 2 and STALKER (and even a bit of Precursors). I suppose I should've mentioned that. Maybe it's time to try a different genre.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.

Prosaic posted:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, but I've actually played Far Cry 2 and STALKER (and even a bit of Precursors). I suppose I should've mentioned that. Maybe it's time to try a different genre.

With a resume like that, I'm absolutely certain you've played Borderlands, but I'll suggest it just in case.

Assuming you've already played that, plus the usuals and that ridiculously obscure Ukranian stuff, I dunno what to tell you :(

Fortunately, there's a few games on the horizon that look to scratch that itch - Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which I'm sure is already on your radar, ought to be pretty fantastic, if not quite as open world as we'd like. RAGE is looking pretty promising, too, and will hopefully stand up to some of the hype it's getting. I am also very much looking forward to trying out Firefall. It just...I mean...LOOK AT THAT.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Morning posted:

I'm looking for a worldbuilding/creation game (preferably in space or fantasy) , or maybe a space 4x? I cant remember the worldbuilding game I played most recently, however for the space games I have galciv2, MoO2, and sword of the stars. Any suggestions?

Space Empires IV Deluxe
http://store.steampowered.com/app/1610/

And a wiki with a beginner's guide:
http://wiki.spaceempires.net/index.php/Space_Empires_IV

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
If anyone gets Space Empires IV, there's some pretty essential mods, namely TDM Mod Pack (vastly improved AI for default races and a lot of additional races) and Advanced Quadrants (the last mega mod pack someone put together a few years ago, it mixes up galaxy generation mods, with its own tweaks). This is how to install those two (read FQM as Advanced Quadrants). I recommend using Generic Mod Enabler to enable mods and spot conflicts if you're not sure (read the pdf).

I just re-installed the game for the first time in years the other week, so if anyone needs any info, ask. The space empires files database holds a lot of cool stuff. I'm in the process of replacing the (very) lovely race art for all the races in TDM, might finish that this week.

I think the best space 4X would be a marriage of elements from GalCiv II and Aurora. There's been a handful of mediocre games in the genre over the past decade but they've been either broken prior to fan patching, or revisionist in the extreme. And Gal Civ II is really ancient now and they should probably get on and make a sequel :)

Aurora is almost perfect for what it does, it's the only one as far as I know that natively simulates system-hopping via jump drives, requiring ships fitted with those devices, rather than purely researching faster ships to cross larger distances - maybe Space Empires V also does this, come to think of it, since Aurora is heavily inspired by those games. It also simulates systems and planets and resource gathering/infastructure in properly awesome levels of depth. But unfortunately where it fails is turn-times taking upwards of 15 minutes if AIs decide to get stuck into a dogfight (imagine X-COM turns except you have no idea how long it will take).

Aurora II will follow the real-time + pause button style of Paradox et al, and could possibly be the next great space 4X.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 13, 2011

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Jadz posted:

Assuming you've already played that, plus the usuals and that ridiculously obscure Ukranian stuff, I dunno what to tell you :(

Yeah if somebody played Precursors there's pretty much nothing we can do. It's a lost case.

Although to finish the obvious list I'd maybe add Fallout 3 and New Vegas as they're RPGs but which can be played like FPSes. The base games handle shooting not so well but there are numerous mods which can change them into full-fledged shooters with complicated weapon modifications etc. Fallout 3 modding thread, New Vegas modding thread with all instructions and recommendations you'd need.

From the even more obscure options I'd say GTA 4 FPS mod and Mafia 2 FPS mod are both very good and add to those games a whole new layer of fun. I read somewhere that the GTA mod cought even the attention of Rockstar and they were considering implementing it in the next GTA - who knows - but it certainly speaks about the quality of the mod - just look at this video.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
I'm looking for an "oldschool" style top-down shooter for the PC, something like Tyrian or Raptor, though I don't mean any of those insane Japanese bullet avalanches. Thought I saw a pretty recent one matching the description somewhere, but can't remember its name anymore.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

Prosaic posted:

Have you played Just Cause 2?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

pigdog posted:

I'm looking for an "oldschool" style top-down shooter for the PC, something like Tyrian or Raptor, though I don't mean any of those insane Japanese bullet avalanches. Thought I saw a pretty recent one matching the description somewhere, but can't remember its name anymore.

I think you might be referring to Jamestown as one you may have seen recently, but it can get pretty bullet-hell-avalanche-y. It's manageable, though, compared to say, Touhou games.

I can't think of any vertical shoot-em-ups, otherwise, though. Hydorah is a freeware indie game that is pretty neat, but it's sidescrolling. Very NON bullet-hell though, so you might like it anyway.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Assuming anyone knows what this fella's talking about (posted on the steam forums)

Dominic White posted:

Things really are better these days. I just posted in the Freeware thread a series of compilation videos showing off approximately 850 good free games released in the past 2.5 years. Free, polished, and most of them infinitely better than the shovelware they passed off as 'shareware' back in the day.

Is there a list/website for these games? Are they possibly sorted by genre?

If not, are there many or any good sandbox/open-ended/freeroam games?

Edit: Okay I think I found it here but if anyone knows a list, or the names of games that fit the listed genres above, that'd rock :)

Morter fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 13, 2011

Blompkin
Mar 31, 2006

Take care
I've been in the mood to play a Dynasty Warriors game, which I used to play a lot, back around DW 3. So I started looking up to see what's good, and GOOD LORD there's a lot of Dynasty Warriors games and clones out there. Dynasty Warriors, DW Empires, DW Gundam, Samurai Warriors, Fist of the North Star, and more. Also, none of them seem to have a rating far above a 7/10. Huh.

Can anyone recommend a good one to play? I'm looking for something fun and interesting. It doesn't have to be an official Dynasty Warriors game, but a brawl style game similar to it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Palpek posted:

From the even more obscure options I'd say GTA 4 FPS mod and Mafia 2 FPS mod are both very good and add to those games a whole new layer of fun. I read somewhere that the GTA mod cought even the attention of Rockstar and they were considering implementing it in the next GTA - who knows - but it certainly speaks about the quality of the mod - just look at this video.

There's one for Just Cause 2 as well. Works pretty drat well. It's amazing how the shift in perspective totally changes the tone of the game for me.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Blompkin posted:

I've been in the mood to play a Dynasty Warriors game, which I used to play a lot, back around DW 3. So I started looking up to see what's good, and GOOD LORD there's a lot of Dynasty Warriors games and clones out there. Dynasty Warriors, DW Empires, DW Gundam, Samurai Warriors, Fist of the North Star, and more. Also, none of them seem to have a rating far above a 7/10. Huh.

Can anyone recommend a good one to play? I'm looking for something fun and interesting. It doesn't have to be an official Dynasty Warriors game, but a brawl style game similar to it.

Hate to post so quick after my last one, but as someone who's waded through every US-released Warriors game, 7 is by far the best, currently. It manages to keep the high-body count while having ridiculously animated musou attacks, really good graphics and animations, and the highest rosster of Dynasty Warriors characters to date. If you're looking for something cheaper/older, Dynasty Warriors 5 is a great alternative, as it was the last "good one" before 6 and then 7 showed up, the former being a terrible 60-dollar beta.

Blompkin
Mar 31, 2006

Take care

Morter posted:

Hate to post so quick after my last one, but as someone who's waded through every US-released Warriors game, 7 is by far the best, currently. It manages to keep the high-body count while having ridiculously animated musou attacks, really good graphics and animations, and the highest rosster of Dynasty Warriors characters to date. If you're looking for something cheaper/older, Dynasty Warriors 5 is a great alternative, as it was the last "good one" before 6 and then 7 showed up, the former being a terrible 60-dollar beta.

Thanks! I'll probably start with DW 5, and if I like it I'll go get 7.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Does anyone have any recommendations for 2 player co op games that will run on a couple of mediocre laptops?

We've been playing defcon and frozen synapse but want something new.

Any genre really, except like racing games I guess.

Also this is kind of unrelated but I remember playing a demo for a game where you are some kind of police mech thing (like that robot in robocop that isn't robocop). It was third person and one of the guns was an awesome mortar thing. I can't remember anything else. Any idea what I'm talking about?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

fuf posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for 2 player co op games that will run on a couple of mediocre laptops?

We've been playing defcon and frozen synapse but want something new.

Any genre really, except like racing games I guess.

Also this is kind of unrelated but I remember playing a demo for a game where you are some kind of police mech thing (like that robot in robocop that isn't robocop). It was third person and one of the guns was an awesome mortar thing. I can't remember anything else. Any idea what I'm talking about?

Impulse answer: Future Cop LAPD. ACTION BUTTON

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Morter posted:

Impulse answer: Future Cop LAPD. ACTION BUTTON

oh poo poo that's it! Thanks dude.

I wonder if it has co op.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

I have a hankering for a helicopter game/sim, but I have no idea what there is out there.

To be honest, I don't know exactly what I want. Something realistic, yet exciting and mission-filled with plenty of variety. I'm not picky.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

fuf posted:

oh poo poo that's it! Thanks dude.

I wonder if it has co op.

It does. I had this when I was a kid, and I always wanted to be second player to my brother because player 2 gets a bitchin' black mech while player 1 gets regular old LAPD blue.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

There's one for Just Cause 2 as well. Works pretty drat well. It's amazing how the shift in perspective totally changes the tone of the game for me.
It looks like it was just updated today with a "massive" update. I'll be checking this out! Thanks for the info!

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

fuf posted:

Sven Coop for Half-Life.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Funso Banjo posted:

I have a hankering for a helicopter game/sim, but I have no idea what there is out there.

To be honest, I don't know exactly what I want. Something realistic, yet exciting and mission-filled with plenty of variety. I'm not picky.

this is going to sound weird but just go with me on it:

Battlefield: bad company 2.

2/3 of the multiplayer modes have helicopters. And everyone, and I mean EVERYONE wants a good heli pilot on their side. Depending on the map / situation you could be doing anything from airlifting soldiers, to chopper dog fights.

I dunno, just throwing it out there.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Funso Banjo posted:

Apache: Air Assault is the most modern big action game with helicopters. VIDEO

Apart from BC2 already mentioned, ARMA 2 also features playable choppers with a very satisfying gameplay. VIDEO As well as Operation Flashpoint 2 VIDEO

Additionally at the end of this year Take On Helicopters is supposed to come out for PC which will be like Flight Simulator but for Helicopters. VIDEO

Palpek fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 14, 2011

Angry Guacamole
Dec 2, 2007

Oh God run away
Can anyone recommend a decent horror title for the 360? I know of the Dead Space series, the Resident Evil series, have played Dead Rising 1 and 2, and that's about it. I don't care if it's horror FPS, survival horror, or whatever.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

Condemned is one of the best horror hobo-bashing simulator games of all time. It was a launch title, it might not look as amazing as it did back in 2005, but it's excellent. The sequel is more of the same, slightly reworked, not as noteworthy.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Trollologist posted:

2/3 of the multiplayer modes have helicopters. And everyone, and I mean EVERYONE wants a good heli pilot on their side. Depending on the map / situation you could be doing anything from airlifting soldiers, to chopper dog fights.

I dunno, just throwing it out there.

They also have the worst helicopter controls of any game pretty much ever, which is why good pilots are such a commodity in that game. Also you will need to perform some level of file manipulation and poo poo just to use a joystick to fly helis. BFBC:2 is a fantastic rear end game but as a helicopter sim it's actually infuriatingly bad.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Palpek posted:

Apache: Air Assault is the most modern big action game with helicopters. VIDEO

Apart from BC2 already mentioned, ARMA 2 also features playable choppers with a very satisfying gameplay. VIDEO As well as Operation Flashpoint 2 VIDEO

Additionally at the end of this year Take On Helicopters is supposed to come out for PC which will be like Flight Simulator but for Helicopters. VIDEO

Take on helicopters looks great. I'll try it out.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Can anyone recommend me something that's like the old Gran Turismo games? Gran Turismo and Gran Turismo 3 are my favorite racing games of all time and I've had trouble finding modern racing games appealing after playing the early GT series. My problem is that I want fun driving, huge car customization and a giant career mode all in one game. I've tried GT4, but just found the mechanics of the driving too boring. I really like the driving mechanics in Dirt 2, but you can't customize cars and there really is no huge career mode like there was in the GT games.

So basically:

-Fun, arcade style racing. Too much simulation turns me off. I loved bouncing off walls in GT and GT3 just to turn the corner.

-Huge career mode. GT3 had a massive track and event selection where you had a garage of cars and you could do special events with specific cars.

-Massive car customization. Again, like in GT3.

-Either on PC or PS3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Are you looking for like course-style racing, or street? NFS Underground 2 is really old, but it's some of the most fun I've ever had. I haven't played any of the newer ones than that, do any of them have the same ridiculous level of customizability?