Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Yep happening here in Erie PA too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Same in SoCal. I sent one this morning around 7 am PST no problem.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Same here in NYC.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

fagalicious posted:

Its probably like what verizon already offers: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/homephoneconnect.jsp

Interesting. I'm not really sure what the point is, if I'm going to be at the mercy of cellular reception I'll just use my cell phone so I don't have to spend an extra $20 per month to use a house phone.

Just sent and received SMS with no problem outside of Philadelphia.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
Is this happening for all text messages or only text messages to/from other carriers?

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
It's all text messages for me.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Alman posted:

Is this happening for all text messages or only text messages to/from other carriers?

I sent one to my girlfriend as a test just now, on the same Sprint plan as I am, and I got the error. Sent one to my dad on Verizon this morning and it (apparently) went through.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Utnayan posted:

Yeah I was getting that too. Looks like a nationwide outage.

Well that sucks.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
Weird, just sent one with no problems. Let me try and find some information to pass on to you guys

edit: looks like it's fixed for a lot of people, but some might be still getting issues?

edit 2: one of the techs says to reboot your phone if you're still getting the error

torb main fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 11, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Interesting. I'm not really sure what the point is, if I'm going to be at the mercy of cellular reception I'll just use my cell phone so I don't have to spend an extra $20 per month to use a house phone.

Just sent and received SMS with no problem outside of Philadelphia.

The point is probably mostly for business customers.

Also, using google voice means text messaging outages don't affect me :smug: still sucks though

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I'm on Google voice and it still affected me.

Working fine now, though.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
I'll get you next time Gadget - next time!
So, I took my phone in to get repaired and they just wiped it and did a manual Gingerbread install to fix my force close/battery life/connection issues.

So far, my phone seems to be doing alright, but when I inquired about the battery only lasting 4-5 hours since Gingerbread, the Sprint tech told me: "The EVO 4G really only gets about 6 hours to a charge." to which I immediately replied "I've had my phone since launch and used to get about 14-18 hours of regular use out of it on one charge." He shook his head and told me to have a good day.

EVO 4G users - how long can you go between charges with regular use?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Doctor Claw posted:

So, I took my phone in to get repaired and they just wiped it and did a manual Gingerbread install to fix my force close/battery life/connection issues.

So far, my phone seems to be doing alright, but when I inquired about the battery only lasting 4-5 hours since Gingerbread, the Sprint tech told me: "The EVO 4G really only gets about 6 hours to a charge." to which I immediately replied "I've had my phone since launch and used to get about 14-18 hours of regular use out of it on one charge." He shook his head and told me to have a good day.

EVO 4G users - how long can you go between charges with regular use?
I don't need to be a 4g owner to tell you that tech was full of poo poo.

fuzzi
Oct 14, 2002
I may be wrong but I think after a wipe, it usually takes a few days for the phone to really adjust to battery values or something... how long has it been?

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007

fuzzi posted:

I may be wrong but I think after a wipe, it usually takes a few days for the phone to really adjust to battery values or something... how long has it been?

My phone just got wiped and tested an hour ago. I may have worded it weird, but I took my phone in because since Gingerbread, I was getting five hours of battery life. I'm not sure if the battery is still lovely as its only been an hour, but I knew the tech was completely out of line when he told me that the EVO 4G would go from 100% to 0% in six hours of regular use.

fuzzi
Oct 14, 2002

Doctor Claw posted:

My phone just got wiped and tested an hour ago. I may have worded it weird, but I took my phone in because since Gingerbread, I was getting five hours of battery life. I'm not sure if the battery is still lovely as its only been an hour, but I knew the tech was completely out of line when he told me that the EVO 4G would go from 100% to 0% in six hours of regular use.

Yeah definitely. Gingerbread should extend battery life a bit. You may want to double-check what accounts are syncing and how often. And you may want to look at trying a different ROM also.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint is now releasing Home Phone service for $19.99 a month for anyone who cares.
So in I can install a cellular radio in my basement in order to tie into my home phone wiring. And it can only pass numbers without names to the caller ID. And if I'm being raped, murdered, or just can't speak because I'm choking, it can't provide my exact address and apartment number to e911.

Hmmm, I know. I can leave a wired phone to my intact original house wiring and still have 911 access. Then I can use multiple portable phones tied to a single base station wired to the cell modem placed upstairs by a window. And because the cell radio has a battery back up...

In more important news, Clear has a coverage map app in the Market called Got Clear? Think they ran that by the dairy farmers lobby?

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 11, 2011

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007

fuzzi posted:

Yeah definitely. Gingerbread should extend battery life a bit. You may want to double-check what accounts are syncing and how often. And you may want to look at trying a different ROM also.

I've never had accounts on autosync. Not even GMail. A different ROM, as in, a different version of the firmware or what?

Also, to update on my situation, since getting my phone back, its been up for three hours and awake for 45 minutes. Its at 70% battery life. Something is wrong with my battery, even though my wonderful Sprint tech stated it passed the battery test fine.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

goku chewbacca posted:

So in I can install a cellular radio in my basement in order to tie into my home phone wiring. And it can only pass numbers without names to the caller ID. And if I'm being raped, murdered, or just can't speak because I'm choking, it can't provide my exact address and apartment number to e911.

Hmmm, I know. I can leave a wired phone to my intact original house wiring and still have 911 access. Then I can use multiple portable phones tied to a single base station wired to the cell modem placed upstairs by a window. And because the cell radio has a battery back up...

In more important news, Clear has a coverage map app in the Market called Got Clear? Think they ran that by the dairy farmers lobby?

The home phone thing will be nice for business accounts and old ladies who want a "home phone." I def wouldn't argue about it being superior to a landline, personally for most people neither is needed.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Anyone else getting this bug on their Evo 3D? When I hit the power button, sometimes the lock screen will show only half of it. The bottom half of the lock screen will appear on the top half of the screen. On the bottom half of the screen, there is only black. I still unlock the phone by swiping up on the bottom half of the screen, though, not the top where the animation looks like I should swipe.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman, have you heard any information on the Nexus S 4G update to 2.3.5 that was supposed to hit today? People on XDA are saying it's coming, someone says it's delayed, and Android Central has no idea what's going on.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

goku chewbacca posted:

So in I can install a cellular radio in my basement in order to tie into my home phone wiring.
Run an external antenna? Plus, home phones are usually wired as a bus, so if you had a free jack upstairs you could just setup shop there.

goku chewbacca posted:

And it can only pass numbers without names to the caller ID.
It's still free. Landline caller ID isn't.

goku chewbacca posted:

And if I'm being raped, murdered, or just can't speak because I'm choking, it can't provide my exact address and apartment number to e911.
Wait, seriously, how is this any worse than a regular landline? Regular cell phones have the disadvantage of being a mobile device. But if this is intended for a fixed installation, they can just database the service address like they do with every other landline.

Granted, the idea is kind of silly if you think of the technology part of it too deeply, and kind of not silly if you accept it as another transport mechanism for home telephone service, in addition to copper pair, cable, and fiber.

I hope in a decade though with LTE my wired, wireless (LTE), LAN, and WiFI just becomes one huge routable entity. So I can make calls with my mobile phone at home over relatively low power WiFi that goes over the wired network if it's available, or an LTE station with external antenna if not. And obviously LTE service works with my mobile directly when I'm not home.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Duckman, have you heard any information on the Nexus S 4G update to 2.3.5 that was supposed to hit today? People on XDA are saying it's coming, someone says it's delayed, and Android Central has no idea what's going on.

No idea beyond its supposed to be released soon. There's a way to force update your phone to check for it, but knows if they delayed it on a bug or not. If it just is no one getting it they usually roll it out in waves, so it could take a bit.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

No idea beyond its supposed to be released soon. There's a way to force update your phone to check for it, but knows if they delayed it on a bug or not. If it just is no one getting it they usually roll it out in waves, so it could take a bit.

Okay, thanks!

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.
I don't know if I'd offer the home phone services to my business customers. Then again, I work with a lot of Hilton, towing companies, and landscapers. It may work out better for the more CDMA oriented business customers.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shed posted:

I don't know if I'd offer the home phone services to my business customers. Then again, I work with a lot of Hilton, towing companies, and landscapers. It may work out better for the more CDMA oriented business customers.

I can't see it being a huge selling factor, but I have had the request on occassion, both business and personal. It'll be nice to offer at least.

On the monthly conference call one of the big questions was on cdma walkie (sprint said likely to be announced in July), which resulted in stammering and then "we cannot comment on that." Oh well.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Hey Duckman, you don't by any chance know what the store cost is for the Otterbox Defender case for the Evo 3d is, do you? I'm wondering what the markup is on one of those.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Protip posted:

Hey Duckman, you don't by any chance know what the store cost is for the Otterbox Defender case for the Evo 3d is, do you? I'm wondering what the markup is on one of those.

Depends, I work in one of the richest areas of the country in a mall (Franklin tn) so my markups are pretty bad (although I also then have a bad habit of giving deals and marking it back down). My screen protectors are $15 for a pack of 3, car chargers are $30, case/holster combos are $35, and my otterboxes are $50 for commuter, $60 for defender. At a normal sprint store it should be $35/40 for commuter and $50 for defender. So my markups are awful but people here don't flinch that often.

Ours used to be that way, but my inventory manager insists that otterbox really marked up the prices, so our margins are not good. I actually now have the power to check, so I'll look into that since you have me thinking. The big downside to otterbox is we have no return policy with otterbox itself, so anything we can't sell we do have to eat.

I will say COGS seem to have gone up recently.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Run an external antenna? Plus, home phones are usually wired as a bus, so if you had a free jack upstairs you could just setup shop there.

It's still free. Landline caller ID isn't.

Wait, seriously, how is this any worse than a regular landline? Regular cell phones have the disadvantage of being a mobile device. But if this is intended for a fixed installation, they can just database the service address like they do with every other landline.

Granted, the idea is kind of silly if you think of the technology part of it too deeply, and kind of not silly if you accept it as another transport mechanism for home telephone service, in addition to copper pair, cable, and fiber.
Not trying to be arguementative. Based on my past experience playing with external antennae on wifi basestations, I assumed pigtails, leads, and connectors were all pretty lossy and couldn't be used for long distances. the modem's antennae isn't wired directly to the motherboard.

Thanks for the info about the house phone wiring. If I were to get a VoIP service like Vonage, connecting it to a single upstairs jack will tie into the whole house's wiring?

Regarding e911, I doubt the address reporting laws for VoIP providers are applied to these home phone cell modems. I wouldn't trust my health and safety to a rough aGPS location passed to the 911 dispatcher. The physical (billing) address of cell phone subscribers can't be obtained without a court order, where as VoIP and landline addresses show up immediately.

fagalicious
Jan 15, 2004

WHAT FAG

goku chewbacca posted:

Thanks for the info about the house phone wiring. If I were to get a VoIP service like Vonage, connecting it to a single upstairs jack will tie into the whole house's wiring?

Yes, but you have to make sure to unhook the house wiring from the phone company's or it'll kill your ATA.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

fagalicious posted:

Yes, but you have to make sure to unhook the house wiring from the phone company's or it'll kill your ATA.

Plus the phone wiring in your house would need to support it. If you're in an old house with outdated wiring it might not work. The alternative is to get a phone set that has several handsets with power stations but only one base station that connects to RJ11. The wiring in my house wouldn't work with my Vonage service so I got a phone set with four handsets.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Duckman2008 posted:

Depends, I work in one of the richest areas of the country in a mall (Franklin tn)
That's one of the richest areas in the country?

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
I ordered an EVO 3D with EPRP yesterday and noon and I'm unreasonably angry that it's not here yet. :mad:

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

ddogflex posted:

I've had mine since release, and mine randomly reboots itself too, has for a few months. At first I thought it was a ROM thing, but it does it on every ROM, AOSP or Sense based. Never just idling, always if I'm browsing or playing a game or something, sometimes the phone seems hot, others it doesn't. Pretty awesome.

Do you mind looking up your hardware version? If you go to settings, about, hardware version, should be either 0003 or 0004.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
Just started running a new ad, basically it owns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jphXLfKO2yg

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Myrddin Emrys posted:

That's one of the richest areas in the country?
"Williamson County is ranked among the wealthiest counties in the country. In 2006 it was the 11th wealthiest county in the country according to the U.S. Census Bureau, but the Council for Community and Economic Research ranked Williamson County as America's wealthiest county (1st) when the local cost of living was factored into the equation with median household income." -wiki

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Alman posted:

I can't wait to see the counter-ads to this. If AT&T and Verizon respond, it'll almost be a tacit acknowledgement that they know that Sprint's right. Well played, Sprint PR team.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
So I wake up today and try to make a call to my buisness partner and I get a automated message that my phone isn't authorized to make calls.

So I think to myself "huh, maybe I forgot to make a payment." and I hop online.

Nope, I am paid in full, but sprint.com doesn't show any phones accept my fiances phone. Weird 0_o.

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat

Alman posted:

I also like that they're figuring the 10$ premium data charge into the plan price now instead of saying 69.99 then doing a gotcha bitch when you get your bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Does Spare Parts force close for anyone else on their EVO 3D when they click battery history?