Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
First spy-shots of the 2012 C63 AMG Black coupe. Bit less weight, bit more power (around the ~520hp mark) and wider track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I swear, eventually MB will come up with a bespoke model for every single individual who buys a Mercedes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

el topo posted:

I swear, eventually MB will come up with a bespoke model for every single individual who buys a Mercedes.

It's hardly Veyron levels of special edition.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
True, but their vehicle range seems to encompass everything but the kitchen sink.

Coming up next week: MB announces a range of kitchen sinks.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

2ndclasscitizen posted:

First spy-shots of the 2012 C63 AMG Black coupe. Bit less weight, bit more power (around the ~520hp mark) and wider track.

Really digging this new Accord coupe

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

el topo posted:

I thought the black line started with the C class originally?

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

el topo posted:

Porsche beat them to this years ago

http://www.poggenpohl-porsche-design-kitchen.com/en/

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

I thought the black line started with the C class originally?

I think it was the SL

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Stabbing Spork posted:

Porsche beat them to this years ago

Porsche DESIGN. Does that even really count as Porsche?

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Motronic posted:

Porsche DESIGN. Does that even really count as Porsche?

Yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_Design

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ewwww....they really did that in 2003, didn't they?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

el topo posted:

True, but their vehicle range seems to encompass everything but the kitchen sink.

http://www.bornrich.com/entry/mercedes-new-viano-marco-polo-camper-van/

Mercedes camper van. Guess what it has?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

kimbo305 posted:

It's hardly Veyron levels of special edition.

Hell, they're not even at Mustang levels, yet. Wait, maybe I've confused the two. Mustang is the curve setter, yes?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I really don't understand why they produce "Black" series cars that are not painted black.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The old Aircooled bugs had a bazillion special editions many of which never made it over here. Levis jeans edition bug, anyone?

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
I saw a loving Nautica edition Mercury Villager yesterday. I don't even know what the selling point of that edition was when new. Comes with Nautica cologne airfreshners? A pair of jeans?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I think they were trying to make Nautica Mercury's version of Eddie Bauer, seriously.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

travisray2004 posted:

I saw a loving Nautica edition Mercury Villager yesterday. I don't even know what the selling point of that edition was when new. Comes with Nautica cologne airfreshners? A pair of jeans?

It was an attempt to get fobs to buy domestic cars.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Faerunner posted:

Really digging this new Accord coupe

The roofline is really boring on the C coupe, yes, but all that Black body kitting helps quite a bit.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

The roofline is really boring on the C coupe, yes, but all that Black body kitting helps quite a bit.

Making a design more busy and lumpy doesn't automatically improve it. In this case? Doesn't improve it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Faerunner posted:

Making a design more busy and lumpy doesn't automatically improve it. In this case? Doesn't improve it.

Ricy creases and vents is not for everyone but I like it here. Opinions opinions...

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

Ricy creases and vents is not for everyone but I like it here. Opinions opinions...

I like the look but I'm just not crazy about the vents near the wheels. It would look better without them in my opinion.

And yes, that is lovely. I did it in MSPaint, with my laptop touchpad. :effort:

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Okay, so if they're saying that the 7-speed manual will be a manually actuated PDK, I really want to see how they'll set up the forks.

This is the PDK Transmission:

Now, say they have a shift layout like this:
code:
  1 3 5 7
  | | | |
---------
| | | | 
R 2 4 6 
How will you go from first to second with that transmission? Where will the forks be? How will they be connected? Look, if it's a single connection, pushing forward into first would put you into first, but then if you pulled back into second... the same fork for first gear would put you into third. The fork for second would be for reverse...

This doesn't make any sense unless what they're really saying is "We'll use the same shaft but move around all the gears so you have standard 1-2,3-4,5-6 groupings with a 7th gear thrown on.

Edit: I'm sure you could whip up some sort of mechanism to do this, but it would probably be complicated and feel very awkward compared to a normal manual. So much easier to just move the gears around on the shafts.

Dave Inc. fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jul 8, 2011

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Whats the bet its just the PDK without any type of fully automatic mode

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

dissss posted:

Whats the bet its just the PDK without any type of fully automatic mode

As in just a pure sequential transmission? Very much doubt that.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Or, more realistically, it'll just be a regular old manual box with another gear in it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Don't forget that the gear grouping on dual-clutch transmissions is very specific to the nature of them, switching between two different gearsets, each of which always has a ratio engaged. The PDK picture above shows the input gears for 3rd and 4th engaged onto their respective shafts, but only third is connected to the engine, 4th being preselected to engage with the disengagement of the "odd" clutch and the engagement of the "even" clutch.

Technically speaking, you could fully manually control that setup, but you'd better not lose track of where you are, or you could well be looking at a nice money shift from 4th into 1st instead of third. Assuming they are indeed going to be using the PDK hardware, my prediction is the full transmission as-is, but the control system being a standard H-gate shifter and clutch pedal. However, you don't need to have it running linkages, it can be a fly by wire setup.

You have a computer to actually run the gearbox, and it preselects the next appropriate gear based on your inputs (high rpm in third while on the throttle is going to be 4th next, while braking and dropping rpm is likely to be heading towards needing 2nd, just like the normal PDK. That gives you the fastest shift when you actually flick the lever, but if you put the shifter somewhere it wasn't expecting, it can still do it. Or refuse, if the result would be an over-rev condition.

You can run the clutches so that depressing the pedal disengages both, but raising it again only engages the appropriate one for the shifter position. Using hydraulic valving to switch between the two clutches would preserve pedal feel.

I think they could make it work well enough that no-one would be able to tell they weren't driving a mechanically-controlled manual, and allow them to give you a tickbox option to select clutch pedal or automatic clutch, combined with your choice of H-gate or sequential shifter. Other than that, and the fact the transmission unit itself can be the same across all cars regardless of spec, it doesn't have any real advantage over a traditional manual.

Also, don't forget that a true sequential manual such as that in a rally car is really a normal h-gate shift gearbox, with the sequential shifter using a complicated rotational actuator to give the gearbox the same fork actions as an h-pattern input. They aren't like a dual-clutch transmission or planetary-geared automatic.

TLDR: You could "manualise" a PDK, but it's not going to be quite as straightforward as just some linkages, and makes sense more from a business/parts commonality standpoint than pure fitness for purpose.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Porsche makes some drat fine gearboxes with a really good mechanical feel. Going to an electrically actuated H-gate would just be so completely awful I'd rather forget it and go with the PDK.

Porsche being Porsche, I imagine they'll find a way to make it a 7-speed with a mechanical linkage, hopefully by just changing the gear positions and using fork selectors (that's all they'd need to do) instead of the current PDK layout.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Internet Meme posted:

It was an attempt to get fobs to buy domestic cars.
Wouldn't have worked anyway, since the Villager was a rebadged Nissan Quest.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

travisray2004 posted:

I decided they went off the deep end when I saw the commercial for the Call of Duty: Black Ops special edition Jeep Wrangler

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Just saw a commercial for the new Scion TC, and its pretty loving hideous.

zakiu
Oct 21, 2001

SouthLAnd posted:

I like the look but I'm just not crazy about the vents near the wheels. It would look better without them in my opinion.

And yes, that is lovely. I did it in MSPaint, with my laptop touchpad. :effort:
Well you're not the sucker buying it, are you? I want a race car!

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Is it just me or do C-class coupes always seem to have ridiculously small rear wheels? The sedan doesn't have that problem.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

JackRabbitStorm posted:

Just saw a commercial for the new Scion TC, and its pretty loving hideous.

It looks like they designed a shorter car but then decided at the last minute that it had to be longer. Also what's up with the fake Hoffman kink? I've seen it on at least one other non-BMW car...

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

el topo posted:

It looks like they designed a shorter car but then decided at the last minute that it had to be longer. Also what's up with the fake Hoffman kink? I've seen it on at least one other non-BMW car...

The rear window area looks like they tried to recreate the Camaro.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

el topo posted:

you mean Hofmeister kink

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Oops, you are correct.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

2ndclasscitizen posted:

So does put the final nail in the coffin of a E63 coupe possibility? I don't understand their thought process when MB says a E63 coupe would cannibalize CLS63 sales. The CLS has 2 more doors (gently caress 4 door "coupes") and costs $95k, a E550 coupe tops out at $60k. I love the current E coupe but it feels like the redheaded stepchild of the MB lineup.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

heat posted:

I decided they went off the deep end when I saw the commercial for the Call of Duty: Black Ops special edition Jeep Wrangler

I work with someone that has one of these. It's got tubular doors, I'll try ab get a photo later today.

It actually looks ok, other than the CoD logos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jork Juggler
May 22, 2007

el topo posted:

I recall reading that the Scion tC has a stretched wheelbase from the Toyota Avensis it is based upon. They really did just take a car and stretch is a bit in the middle, I guess American back seat passengers have longer legs than others.