Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It was cool and that's all that matters. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Also its always good to have a backup plan in case the first one went wrong.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Actually how funny would it be if they didn't know Lando was going to be there and Luke was all "Oh hey Lando what are you doing here?" and Lando just squirms and he mumbles "Oh hey Luke whats with your fine-rear end sister saving that jive-turkey Han?"

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It was cool and that's all that matters. :colbert:

Amen. Whenever my wife MY WIFE asks me why I complain about plot holes, motivations, etc. in some movies and not others, my answer usually comes down to "Because that other one was fun to watch and this one isn't."

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Nckdictator posted:

We seriously need a PYF Star Wars image thread.

All of these are canon.

Not canon, but should be:

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
There's no way C3PO's boner is canon.

.. right?

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

http://i.imgur.com/Cww4q.jpg :nws:

http://i.imgur.com/R00vC.jpg :nws:

UncleSmoothie posted:

There's no way C3PO's boner is canon.

.. right?

I believe it was a "misprint" from a set of trading cards (i.e., somebody in the art department did it and nobody noticed until they were released to the public).

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

shouldbecanon.jpg:

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Yes! Finally found this one:

Here are some more:

edit:

that awful man fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jul 12, 2011

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

that awful man posted:

This one kills me every time, the way it looks halfway curdled in the glass and the globs on the table. And the hair... why are there clumps of hair in it?!

:psyduck:

Actually, what the hell was with Yaddle in the first place? Showing another of Yoda's species seems potentially important, so I wonder what Lucas originally planned to do with Yaddle over the course of the prequels?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Sith Happens posted:

Actually, what the hell was with Yaddle in the first place? Showing another of Yoda's species seems potentially important, so I wonder what Lucas originally planned to do with Yaddle over the course of the prequels?
:nms:http://imgur.com/IdchX:nms:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

that awful man posted:

Used this as the image for my IMDB icon on my phone.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Lest we forget, Ellen Degeneres/Bell's Palsy Luke:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Don't forget this little moment:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
http://sites.google.com/site/arthurnishimoto/fleet-commander

LucasArts needs to hire this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFZ95ImXu6Q

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Yeah so he can help make Force Unleashed III and then get fired.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

When the hell can I have one of these displays in my house?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

thrawn527 posted:

That really needs to be EU.jpg

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

Nckdictator posted:

That really needs to be EU.jpg

What is this a picture of? :ohdear:

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Amrosorma posted:

What is this a picture of? :ohdear:

Gather round, young Amrosorma, and hear the tale of a man named Trioculus

PepsiOtaku
Aug 27, 2004

Crystal Blue Holiday Spice Pepsi Free Vanilla Throwback, oh my! :swoon:
How about some Tiss'shar politics!

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

PepsiOtaku posted:

How about some Tiss'shar politics!

You're leaving out the best part, where the Imperial officer gets all grossed out that the fancy banquet is like live lizards and stuff and Vader's like "gently caress this poo poo, let's go get some burgers" and storms out.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

Slantedfloors posted:

Gather round, young Amrosorma, and hear the tale of a man named Trioculus

Thank you :allears:

This is amazing. All kinds of amazing.

Strong Female fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 12, 2011

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Amrosorma posted:

Thank you :allears:

This is amazing. All kinds of amazing.

Darrrk greeeeeeetings!

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009
So, here's a thought: What're the BEST aspects of EU Canon? Not like, best books or comics or whatever, but the best scenes or concepts?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Thrawn attempting tactics, and almost winning with them.

Comedy answer, the glove of DARTH VADER.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Thrawn attempting tactics, and almost winning with them.

Comedy answer, the glove of DARTH VADER.

The Thrawn meta-tactics-on-top-of-more-meta-tactics got kind of tiring though :shobon:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
The scene where Garik "Face" Loran is holding Ton Phanan as he looks up into the sky and dies looking at a Star Destroyer (the Iron Fist if I recall correctly).

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

I like the parts that reminds the reader of the fact that there was basically a whole Imperial universe left to conquer for the Rebels at the end of ROTJ. I find all the stuff about the post-Endor Imperial power structures, with warlords and poo poo, super interesting for some reason.

e. ^^^ If we're talking scenes, the part of The Krytos Trap where the Lusankya escapes the surface of Coruscant was pretty :black101:

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 12, 2011

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Amrosorma posted:

The Thrawn meta-tactics-on-top-of-more-meta-tactics got kind of tiring though :shobon:
Still better than the usual villains who are so incompetent that they struggle to put on their boots, while KJA tries to hype them up as an even bigger threat than all the Palpatines and Vader combined.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I... honestly have a hard time thinking of good EU things.

I'm one of those people who always found Thrawn kind of stupid. "Attempting tactics" is nice but "I look at your art and am able to tell exactly what you will do in insane detail" just doesn't work for me.

It is sort of depressing to realize I know a lot about the EU but can't actually think of anything I can call anything more then a guilty pleasure implementation of an objectively bad idea.

What I'm saying is that I love the gently caress out of Kyle Katarn.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I'm one of those people who always found Thrawn kind of stupid. "Attempting tactics" is nice but "I look at your art and am able to tell exactly what you will do in insane detail" just doesn't work for me.

It is sort of depressing to realize I know a lot about the EU but can't actually think of anything I can call anything more then a guilty pleasure implementation of an objectively bad idea.

What I'm saying is that I love the gently caress out of Kyle Katarn.

Kyle Katarn and Dash Rendar had the best names. Why can't the EU books have names as good as the poo poo we got in the games? :(

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Kyle Katarn is awesome ofcourse, and yeah I love the Imperial warlord stuff along with the infighting.

I'd kill for another game like TIE Fighter.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

ImpAtom posted:

I know this is has a fair chance to get me crucified, buuut...

Thrawn wasn't actually that good, or at least not in the original book trilogy featuring him. He made mistakes, a lot of mistakes, starting from Heir to the Empire and continuing through the next two books; misreading the Noghri and their connection to Leia is the big one, but not the only one.

And, then, he was only situationally peerless in tactics. He could plot a grand strategy and usually win it, and if he found a hole in his opponents' psychology he could exploit it mercilessly, but his tactics aren't flawless. Even at the end of The Last Command, in the last battle, he's getting pretty thoroughly trounced before he gets finished off.

Leia and Karrde and Garm bel Iblis and even Joruus C'boath each have at least one area where they beat Thrawn. It's various characters themselves who build up Thrawn into the peerless bogeyman.

I think what made me like Thrawn was just that: he was clever without being omniscient or perfect.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

EddieDean posted:

So, here's a thought: What're the BEST aspects of EU Canon? Not like, best books or comics or whatever, but the best scenes or concepts?

Best concept: Zayne Carrick. A bungling young Jedi who just can't catch a break, stumbling through a hostile galaxy and makin' other lovable misfit friends.

Best scene: Darth Vader choking a guy who's all "gently caress you, I guess I just kill Rebels too well for your taste" and then changing his mind.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008

ZeeToo posted:

I know this is has a fair chance to get me crucified, buuut...

Thrawn wasn't actually that good, or at least not in the original book trilogy featuring him. He made mistakes, a lot of mistakes, starting from Heir to the Empire and continuing through the next two books; misreading the Noghri and their connection to Leia is the big one, but not the only one.

And, then, he was only situationally peerless in tactics. He could plot a grand strategy and usually win it, and if he found a hole in his opponents' psychology he could exploit it mercilessly, but his tactics aren't flawless. Even at the end of The Last Command, in the last battle, he's getting pretty thoroughly trounced before he gets finished off.

Leia and Karrde and Garm bel Iblis and even Joruus C'boath each have at least one area where they beat Thrawn. It's various characters themselves who build up Thrawn into the peerless bogeyman.

I think what made me like Thrawn was just that: he was clever without being omniscient or perfect.

This is a good point. I liked Thrawn as a villain but his reputation as a peerless tactician was just that: a reputation. He was a great commander but he was defeated multiple times throughout the trilogy.

Another great EU antagonist was Zsinj (at least in the Wraith books, I never read Courtship), who, aside from building up an impressive network of capital organized in a manner similar to terrorist cells, enjoyed theater and acting just to screw with people, routinely putting on displays that would cause most observers to underestimate him.

As far as great EU moments, Gara Petothel building an army of those little maintenance droids to take down a Super Star Destroyer was pretty awesome.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Geddy Krueger posted:

Another great EU antagonist was Zsinj (at least in the Wraith books, I never read Courtship), who, aside from building up an impressive network of capital organized in a manner similar to terrorist cells, enjoyed theater and acting just to screw with people, routinely putting on displays that would cause most observers to underestimate him.

Is there some evidence in the books of this strategy actually fooling anyone, though? I dunno, I thought it seemed pretty useless.

Also, Tycho saving Wedge from getting blown to pieces by Tal'Dira in Solo Command by flying between Wedge's damaged fighter and Tal'Dira's. Such a bro :colbert:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The ending scenes of both Vector Prime (Han mourning Chewie) and The Unifying Force (Han, Luke, and Leia enjoying the victory of what was supposed to be their last big adventure) are both scenes that have stood out in my mind after I read them. The same with Ulic Qel-Droma's rise from despair to redeemed to killed in Redemption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Is there some evidence in the books of this strategy actually fooling anyone, though? I dunno, I thought it seemed pretty useless.

Also, Tycho saving Wedge from getting blown to pieces by Tal'Dira in Solo Command by flying between Wedge's damaged fighter and Tal'Dira's. Such a bro :colbert:

True, nothing much really came of it but I liked to see that he just liked screwing with people. Zsinj was a space goon :colbert: