Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
TLaD's motorcycle physics are really half-baked. I can't count the number of times I've driven over a tiny curb and flown ten feet into the air and spun around for no discernible reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

blackguy32 posted:

Also, I think Jim is one of my favorite characters out of all of GTA4. It sucks that he dies though.

Yeah, it sucks even worse realizing that you, as Niko Bellic, are the one who killed him.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Capn Beeb posted:

Don't bother, they're pretty lame. The AA-12 has been kicking around since the '70s in some form or another, and nobody adopted it for numerous reasons :v:

I've never been attracted to the fancy stuff actually. Prefer old & reliable.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Underflow posted:

Yeah. With 18 burglary attempts on our house in 3 years and a trial facing 6 years for possession of military firearms, after which they confiscated all my hardware - but let me go, since a) I'm a vet who just managed to keep some souvenir h/w; 2) several burglaries by groups of men in skimasks with shortened shotguns had been reported in my neighbourhood already - I can only live in a fantasy world, kid.

Oh, I didn't doubt that you possessed firearms, or that your house was at risk of burglary. I was just struck by your hope to be able to use military-grade weapons on other humans, or at least to be able to threaten them with said use. You could say that you :airquote:fantasized:airquote: about it.

Plus, you know, how cool it was that you did that. It's a shame that all your illegal weapons were confiscated, or maybe you could have gotten your chance.

Trap Star posted:

You can pretty safely ignore Doc Hawkins. He's a troll that will come running into any thread where somebody says they "raped a noob".

Yes, that's right. Not only do I search the threads every day for people minimizing rape, but my only motivation for doing so is to get them angry and confused. :rolleyes:

My moral beliefs don't fuel my posting behavior to that degree; I participate in threads, including this one, because I play and/or am interested in the games being discussed, (Except for the Skyrim thread, I guess, AKA "The Dragon Age 2 Thread 2") and while doing so, I point out when I think people are being creepy or lovely in those threads. I thought that was what everyone does?

e: VVV Good idea.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Doc Hawkins posted:

Oh, I didn't doubt that you possessed firearms, or that your house was at risk of burglary. I was just struck by your hope to be able to use military-grade weapons on other humans, or at least to be able to threaten them with said use. You could say that you :airquote:fantasized:airquote: about it.

Plus, you know, how cool it was that you did that. It's a shame that all your illegal weapons were confiscated, or maybe you could have gotten your chance.

Yes, that's right. Not only do I search the threads every day for people minimizing rape, but my only motivation for doing so is to get them angry and confused. :rolleyes:

My moral beliefs don't fuel my posting behavior to that degree; I participate in threads, including this one, because I play and/or am interested in the games being discussed, (Except for the Skyrim thread, I guess, AKA "The Dragon Age 2 Thread 2") and while doing so, I point out when I think people are being creepy or lovely in those threads. I thought that was what everyone does?

Nobody gives a gently caress. Talk about GTA.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

:words:

I can safely say that now, thanks to this thread, I too fantasize about threatening robbers with weapons. One of my biggest fantasies now involves scaring away a knife-wielding mugger with a sawed-off shotgun that fires confetti.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

Tewratomeh posted:

I can safely say that now, thanks to this thread, I too fantasize about threatening robbers with weapons. One of my biggest fantasies now involves scaring away a knife-wielding mugger with a sawed-off shotgun that fires confetti.

Real confetti this time. The good stuff.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
But the mugger may have a soap bubble knife. Before you know it, it's escalation to full-auto balloon guns.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

the Bunt posted:

Nobody gives a gently caress. Talk about GTA.

Seconded! Now let's get over the derailing...

We were talking about characters in this game right? *scrolls down* Yes, right. Did anyone else love LJ? I had to put the subtitles on just for him, his dialogue is awesome and I really liked the relationship he had with Nico. (Especially towards the end.)

Packie was an interesting character as well. Although he wasn't one of my "favourites" he definitely was one of the most compelling. Seemed like the only remotely sane member of his family, which isn't exactly saying a lot...

widunder
May 2, 2002
Does anyone have a video clip of whatever character Bill Burr is supposed to be voicing in TLATD? My 360 died on me a while back.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC9hgUqmfdM Here's the mission in which Niko kills him.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Lurchibles posted:

Seconded! Now let's get over the derailing...

We were talking about characters in this game right? *scrolls down* Yes, right. Did anyone else love LJ? I had to put the subtitles on just for him, his dialogue is awesome and I really liked the relationship he had with Nico. (Especially towards the end.)

Packie was an interesting character as well. Although he wasn't one of my "favourites" he definitely was one of the most compelling. Seemed like the only remotely sane member of his family, which isn't exactly saying a lot...

Yeah, LJ's great, one of the best game characters in all GTAs; pity there weren't more missions with him. Didn't think Packie's broad toorah-loorah attitude was such a good idea. Do Irishmen who grew up in the States really talk like that?

Brucie got on my nerves pretty bad. I made sure to dial our friendship down by crashing his chopper, then sniping him when he's standing shirtless in front of the hospital waiting for you to pick him up. Felt bad about that after TBoGT, though.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Underflow posted:

Yeah, LJ's great, one of the best game characters in all GTAs; pity there weren't more missions with him. Didn't think Packie's broad toorah-loorah attitude was such a good idea. Do Irishmen who grew up in the States really talk like that?

Brucie got on my nerves pretty bad. I made sure to dial our friendship down by crashing his chopper, then sniping him when he's standing shirtless in front of the hospital waiting for you to pick him up. Felt bad about that after TBoGT, though.

what. Brucie is the most awesome guy in the whole game. The only true bro.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
He's too loving loud.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Samopsa posted:

what. Brucie is the most awesome guy in the whole game. The only true bro.

I was glad when he broke his brother's nose. rear end in a top hat deserved it.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Samopsa posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC9hgUqmfdM Here's the mission in which Niko kills him.
Awesome, thanks

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Underflow posted:

He's too loving loud.

But that's just because he's being held down by his brother his whole live and he's crying inside and puts up a tough shell! :smith:
Bruce really rocks. Taking out fat ugly roman to hip clubs, taking you out for a ballin' cruise with some pretty ladies, lending you his helicopter whenever! Really, no other "friend" comes close.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Bruce is awesome, LJ and Louis's friends are up there with Cesar in GTA:SA, Gat in SR2 etc.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
One of the most disappointing things about GTAIV is how the majority of your buddies have no real role in the game's ending. It's especially jarring since Packie has a personal reason to be involved in the revenge ending. I wish Brucie was the one flying the copter at the end, or something. Brucie should have been in the ending in some way.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

If we're talking about best bros in GTA, Woozie is pretty high up there for me.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

One of the most disappointing things about GTAIV is how the majority of your buddies have no real role in the game's ending. It's especially jarring since Packie has a personal reason to be involved in the revenge ending. I wish Brucie was the one flying the copter at the end, or something. Brucie should have been in the ending in some way.

Brucie drives the chopper, then LJ, Packie, and Dwayne back you up on the final stretch? That would be awesome indeed.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Timeless Appeal posted:

Packie is too busy with his chop/crying bunches. GONNA GET ME SOME CHOP IN ME NIKO BOY CHOPPIN' ON CHOPPERDAY NIGHT CHOPPIN' IT UP WITH CHOP IN THE CHOPROOM OF THE CHOP CLUB WITH SOME CHOP GIRLS YEEEEEEEEEEEGH :byodood:

Speaking of Jacob however, I'd love a TLAD/TBOGT style DLC with Jacob and Badman. Why does Jacob seem afraid of Badman :ohdear:

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Capn Beeb posted:

Packie is too busy with his chop/crying bunches. GONNA GET ME SOME CHOP IN ME NIKO BOY CHOPPIN' ON CHOPPERDAY NIGHT CHOPPIN' IT UP WITH CHOP IN THE CHOPROOM OF THE CHOP CLUB WITH SOME CHOP GIRLS YEEEEEEEEEEEGH :byodood:

Speaking of Jacob however, I'd love a TLAD/TBOGT style DLC with Jacob and Badman. Why does Jacob seem afraid of Badman :ohdear:

His name is BADMAN. obviously he does bad things, like him casually asking Niko to go with him to shoot a bunch of motherfuckers just chillin', or introducing himself via box-cutter to the jugular.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Zedd posted:

Bruce is awesome, LJ and Louis's friends are up there with Cesar in GTA:SA, Gat in SR2 etc.

I love Louis' friends. Arnando and Henrique are like a modern-day, Latino George and Lenny from "Of Mice and Men".

"Yeah, I'm-a get two burger meals, that's how rich I'm gonna be!" :downs:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
After I played TBoGT, I hear and see Yusef Amir's voice actor everywhere!

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Samopsa posted:

But that's just because he's being held down by his brother his whole live and he's crying inside and puts up a tough shell! :smith:

Yeah, that's why I felt bad later about sniping him. It was really his voice that got to me. Although Roman's was far worse; screaming all the time in that grating whiny tone about disasters he causes himself. Dmitri's was a tad overdone as well.

Timeless Appeal posted:

None of the GTAs have spectacular endings, come to think of it. A long end mission involving your remaining friends would have been nice indeed. Vlad and Faustin could have had more screentime earlier in the game too; just like Jacob and Badman.

I thought it was interesting that the first GTA protagonist I didn't feel much affinity with (Luis) was much more realistic compared to the others in terms of actions, morals, and motivation. Perhaps because Luis himself is never really in a tight spot; just ironing out things for Tony without great sympathy - even willing to put a bullet in his head at some point. I think GTA characters work best when they have a huge chip on their shoulder. Maybe they can bring back Catalina.

blackguy32 posted:

After I played TBoGT, I hear and see Yusef Amir's voice actor everywhere!

I liked that guy a lot.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

MrJacobs posted:

His name is BADMAN. obviously he does bad things, like him casually asking Niko to go with him to shoot a bunch of motherfuckers just chillin', or introducing himself via box-cutter to the jugular.

"Badman" is Jamaican slang for a gangster. He is loving crazy though.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Cojawfee posted:

You know you don't have to use the cover system, right? I never understand why people are so adamant about removing features they don't have to use. Maybe some people do like the cover system.

Bullshit. Niko dies after like 3 bullets.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Underflow posted:

I thought it was interesting that the first GTA protagonist I didn't feel much affinity with (Luis) was much more realistic compared to the others in terms of actions, morals, and motivation. Perhaps because Luis himself is never really in a tight spot; just ironing out things for Tony without great sympathy - even willing to put a bullet in his head at some point. I think GTA characters work best when they have a huge chip on their shoulder. Maybe they can bring back Catalina.

I'm pretty sure that each numerical edition takes place in a seperate universe and Catalina does not exist. Even if so, doesn't she get killed in III? (never finished III)

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Cliff Racer posted:

I'm pretty sure that each numerical edition takes place in a seperate universe and Catalina does not exist. Even if so, doesn't she get killed in III? (never finished III)

Yeah, you're right; I think she was in that copter at the end. I always forget that SA was set a few years before the events in III.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Chinaman7000 posted:

If we're talking about best bros in GTA, Woozie is pretty high up there for me.

One of my favorite bits from SA--

We've got a problem, boss. Check out this chip.

Woozie: It's counterfeit.

CJ: That's amazing! How could you tell?

Woozie: Why else would he give it to me?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Woozie's my favorite character in that game. I never did finish it though, are you forced to kill him or anything? I wouldn't want my pal Woozie to be a bad guy :(

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Momomo posted:

Woozie's my favorite character in that game. I never did finish it though, are you forced to kill him or anything? I wouldn't want my pal Woozie to be a bad guy :(

No, he's on the level for the whole game. Of course, if he did step out of line you'd have no choice but to take him out. Justice is blind.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Momomo posted:

Nope, but he's virtually absent from the last fourth of the game. Bit of a shame if you ask me, you did way more with him than with The Truth.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I don't get people that don't finish the gta games because of length.

The missions are awesome, I always wanted much much more.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Zedd posted:

I don't get people that don't finish the gta games because of length.

The missions are awesome, I always wanted much much more.

I think running into one of the 10 "what the gently caress is this poo poo i'm gonna break my controller" missions hidden in every GTA style game is a valid reason.

It's the only thing holding me back from reinstalling SA right now. I know I'll be a busta who can't keep up with the drat train.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

GTA is about the only gameseries that made me do something completely non-gamy and what I do in real life all the time: sitting in the car, not wanting to get out because a great song is playing. Especially with the newer GTA's with the custom MP3 radio.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Other side of the track is pretty easy once you figure out the trick to it; not 100% reliable but staying on the outer track of the opposite rail works wonders.

Not getting out of LS means you just stop too soon... :(

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Underflow posted:

He's too loving loud.

That was one of the things that made Brucie the bastard he is... You didn't like him because he was loud and over the top, but secretly you actually did like him because he was so annoying he made the other characters stand out as not being as annoying :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Lurchibles posted:

That was one of the things that made Brucie the bastard he is... You didn't like him because he was loud and over the top, but secretly you actually did like him because he was so annoying he made the other characters stand out as not being as annoying :D

"C'mon NB, lets put some bitches to the sword!" is the line that made me kind of like Brucie to loving the character. That and calling any woman next to him on friend activities "bitches" in every context imaginable.

I also loved Yusef Amir for his solid gold everything. He was Bruciex1000 and it was glorious. And his use of the word nigga never ceases to crack me up.

• Locked thread