Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Just got the email saying they were splitting the DVD-at-home and streaming services, this sucks but I can't say I didn't see it coming. It's not really even a tough choice, of course I'm going to go with the streaming option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

casual poster posted:

Just got the email saying they were splitting the DVD-at-home and streaming services, this sucks but I can't say I didn't see it coming. It's not really even a tough choice, of course I'm going to go with the streaming option.

Honestly, I've been on "just streaming" for a while now and don't really regret the switch. Red Box fills in the gaps.

isnt that right
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah, I've had what ever DVD I got last for over a month now, but I really like the idea of being able to get any movie I want until streaming covers every thing.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I guess I'm dropping the DVD stuff when September comes. It's a bit annoying, since I like DVD extras and the larger library.

I'm a bit confused, though. I assume any rate hikes are because Hollywood wisened up and realized they were giving their streaming rights to Netflix (directly and indirectly) at an undervalued price. Yet, it's the DVD service, not the streaming, that's getting the real price change. Maybe it is the cost of buying and mailing movies. Or maybe they simply don't want to jack the price of streaming up too soon when many are still being introduced to their service.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
I haven't gotten any e-mail and have streaming/DVD at the moment, what's going on exactly?

I read an article yesterday about how major studios are looking increasing the price licensing rights to Netflix for their movies by a factor of 10, which is not cool as a consumer. I wonder what'll happen.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

bonds0097 posted:

I haven't gotten any e-mail and have streaming/DVD at the moment, what's going on exactly?

I read an article yesterday about how major studios are looking increasing the price licensing rights to Netflix for their movies by a factor of 10, which is not cool as a consumer. I wonder what'll happen.

http://blog.netflix.com/2011/07/netflix-introduces-new-plans-and.html

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm a bit confused, though. I assume any rate hikes are because Hollywood wisened up and realized they were giving their streaming rights to Netflix (directly and indirectly) at an undervalued price. Yet, it's the DVD service, not the streaming, that's getting the real price change. Maybe it is the cost of buying and mailing movies. Or maybe they simply don't want to jack the price of streaming up too soon when many are still being introduced to their service.

Well, I think a part is that postage has only gotten more expensive over the years as more and more people do communication and banking over the internet, and gas has gotten more expensive.

Also, Netflix recently announced that they were going to be producing and distributing their own television show, so now a lot of studios are viewing them as competitors and trying to withdraw their own programs. Between that and hollywood execs starting to see the money in streaming media the cheap and easy contracts that Netflix originally had are only going to get more expensive for them and us.

Plus, I always thought that the ridiculously low rate they've had for 1 DVD + streaming was a deliberate undersell to get their foot in the door to try and proliferate streaming and establish themselves before everyone else. It makes sense that they couldn't keep it up forever as they got more popular.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
Hrm, well that'll up my current plan by 5 bucks a month, which isn't bad really. I'll probably just stay with what I have.

I love all the angry comments though, 'OFFER YOUR ENTIRE DVD CATALOG ON STREAMING OR I WILL CANCEL!!!'. Yes, because Netflix is intentionally withholding movies from its streaming catalog to piss off consumers.

This is (part of) what annoys me about the DMCA and IP laws though. Netflix can buy 1 DVD of a movie and just rent it out to whoever it wants and however it wants but if it buys a digital copy of a movie it can't do that and instead has to license the movie itself (or rather, the idea that the movie represents) from the studios which puts the IP Holders at a huge advantage that basically just dicks over Netflix and the consumer.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
The two services are completely different, theres no reason one should cost the same as the other. $16 for a mediocre streaming selection and 1 dvd at a time per month? Meh, not great

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

This has been writing on the wall for a long time, although I'm honestly surprised the studios are the ones to force Netflix into another streaming model rather than the ISPs. I thought for sure bandwidth costs and the various tiered plans was what would get them in the end.

Probably my only complaint is that they really should be doing two DVD at a time at that price.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Myrmidongs posted:

This has been writing on the wall for a long time, although I'm honestly surprised the studios are the ones to force Netflix into another streaming model rather than the ISPs. I thought for sure bandwidth costs and the various tiered plans was what would get them in the end.

ISPs have experimented with usage-based charges but Texas of all places led a legislative attack on the practice, on the ground that so many businesses were dependent on unrestricted bandwidth usage that the program would harm the economy more than help it.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
Netflix really wants people to stop using the DVD by mail service.

Why not both plans at $7.99 each or you can bundle them for a discounted price of $12-13? It may sound nitpicky but a 20-30% increase is a lot easier to accept that loving 60%.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
The Man from Nowhere - Wow, I have never 5'd a movie so fast. This movie is great. Generic, yes (guy goes after people who took his "daughter"), but extremely well executed. Great actors and choreography. Someone recommend me more korean movies to watch.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Myrmidongs posted:

Probably my only complaint is that they really should be doing two DVD at a time at that price.

Also, if you google around you'll find various articles by actual network experts showing how the hyperbole about Netflix hogging all the bandwidth is just a publicity tactic by ISP's to drum up support for usage-based charges or to allow them to prioritize certain traffic over others.

EDIT: Also... 'mediocre streaming selection'? Is there a better one somewhere? Netflix has tons of awesome content and has allowed me to watch all sorts of brilliant but canceled shows I hadn't heard of and wouldn't have been able to watch otherwise. Come September I'll be paying 22 bucks for streaming with 2 DVD's (Blu-Ray) and I consider that pretty great value.

bonds0097 has a new favorite as of 01:01 on Jul 13, 2011

crinos80
Jul 21, 2006
Looks like they've just recently added seasons 3 & 4 of The Tudors, so they've got the full run available now. It might be a little dense if you're not familiar with the time period, but it's a nifty showtime drama focused on Henry VIII's early years.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Personally, gonna drop em.

The streaming selection isn't that great, and a lot of the time if I am watching a series, a few of the episodes are on dvd only.

Doubling the price and telling me it's a good thing doesn't match up.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I was planning a return to Netflix when some of this past season's shows I missed come out on DVD, probably in September, closer to the start of the fall season. But with this split coming up, I'll probably go with the DVDs-by-mail plan to get a better selection of shows (Community, How I Met Your Mother, and all the HBO and AMC shows, which haven't been streamed in the past) and this summer's big movies that I've been skipping. I'll miss streaming, but there are too many big gaps in the collection.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

bonds0097 posted:

Hrm, well that'll up my current plan by 5 bucks a month, which isn't bad really. I'll probably just stay with what I have.

I love all the angry comments though, 'OFFER YOUR ENTIRE DVD CATALOG ON STREAMING OR I WILL CANCEL!!!'. Yes, because Netflix is intentionally withholding movies from its streaming catalog to piss off consumers.

Yah, I find that funny too. Like netflix wouldn't jump at the chance if they could do it.

The old plans were a too good to be true deal. Yes, if you want nothing but up to the minute mainstream TV and Film you might be disappointed by the streaming, but I have found no shortage of good films on instant play. If you think it isn't worth the stand alone 7.99 price that is fine, but how could you really believe that all that streaming plus dvd checkouts for less than 15 dollars was going to last? I could check out, easily, 8-10 movies a month with just the single disk plan. It was a phenomenal deal. They are getting squeezed hard by the licensers, and they do not make that much money currently. Prices were pretty much guaranteed to go up.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Personally, gonna drop em.

The streaming selection isn't that great, and a lot of the time if I am watching a series, a few of the episodes are on dvd only.

Doubling the price and telling me it's a good thing doesn't match up.

Wait, how is streaming doubling the price? Streaming is still just 7.99? Unless you mean that the cost of streaming + dvd's is doubling? In which case you're still wrong.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

casual poster posted:

The Man from Nowhere - Wow, I have never 5'd a movie so fast. This movie is great. Generic, yes (guy goes after people who took his "daughter"), but extremely well executed. Great actors and choreography. Someone recommend me more korean movies to watch.

I just watched I Saw The Devil on Netflix Streaming and was pretty impressed. I thought it was rather too long and over the top, kind of wears out its welcome by the finale in my opinion, but the first third of it is like the tightest most intense serial killer movie ever.

Cinematography is top notch, crisp and beautiful.

Korean cinema really has some serious mojo going on right now. I'm interested in watching any notable Korean films too.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
We've decided to ditch the DVDs and keep the streaming. We don't have cable and aren't big TV watchers, but we can always find something fun to watch on there. I don't think we'll miss the DVDs by mail, though, since we end up just getting a lot of discs from the library and Redbox promo codes, anyway.

CONTENT!

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes

I had no idea this show existed, but apparently it airs on Disney XD and the second season will be premiering later this year... I think. It's waaaaay better than that crappy Avenger cartoon on Fox from 10+ years ago. I blitzed through the first season in about 4 days and it was worth the time. The first few episodes are kind of slow and disjointed, but I imagine that's because they originally aired back-to-back as a introductory movie.

bartok
May 10, 2006

It seems lovely at first but I can't really see how any of this is Netflix fault. They gotta make a profit and while the price increase sucks I think my use of both services justifies the cost. What's the alternative?

Hey now on to content. The Larry Sanders Show is on Netflix Instant which is awesome because HBO charges way too much for their Box Sets. The show has surprisingly held up well and now surprisingly still relevant given the fairly recent Conan/Leno fiasco.
It was my first taste of the awesomeness that is Jeffery Tambor. Though I think Rip Torn as veteran TV producer Artie steals the show.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
With this new price increase, my 3 at a time plan has gone from 17 bucks to 24 in the last year. It's not like $7 a month is a huge onerous financial burden, but it's a pretty big amount percentage-wise.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Zwabu posted:

I just watched I Saw The Devil on Netflix Streaming and was pretty impressed. I thought it was rather too long and over the top, kind of wears out its welcome by the finale in my opinion, but the first third of it is like the tightest most intense serial killer movie ever.

Cinematography is top notch, crisp and beautiful.

Korean cinema really has some serious mojo going on right now. I'm interested in watching any notable Korean films too.

I saw the Devil was a excellent film. The scene in the taxi where he stabs the two guys was so intense.
Their not korean, but check out: Oldboy (the other 2 films in his "revenge" trilogy aren't that great, but if you really like oldboy than check them out), and Ip Man 1&2 (about the guy who taught Bruce Lee, great martial arts film). Other movies you may like that I haven't checked out yet are Thirst, Mother, The Host, and chaser.

Does anyone have any anime recommendations? They have a huge selection but most of it just seems like your average crap. Gurren Lagaan is on there, which is one of the best series I've ever watched.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Its on Hulu+ not Netflix, but whatever:
Brotherhood of Justice

Corny 80's made for TV movie about a bunch of kids who form a gang to protect the weak but predicatbly become evil. Important Hilarious because it stars Neo and Jack Bauer Keanu Reeves and Kiefer Sutherland.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

casual poster posted:

Their not korean, but check out: Oldboy

Oldboy is in fact Korean. In fact, as I understand it, the "Oldboy" actor is the villain in I Saw the Devil.

The problem I have is that the Netflix Instant Watch version of Oldboy is dubbed, I tried to watch it but the dubbed voices are so jarring that I didn't want to finish, I'd rather see it in a subtitled version.

The Host is really good, worth seeing. It's not currently available as an instant stream, but it was earlier, that's how I saw it.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Zwabu posted:

Oldboy is in fact Korean. In fact, as I understand it, the "Oldboy" actor is the villain in I Saw the Devil.
Hmm, I can only really tell what language it is if I see the writing. I'm not good at picking up on sound.

Does anyone know how I can contact customer service? I want to change my plan to 2 dvds at a time before they change the plans around, I went to the change your plan page but they only have options for the new plans (streaming OR dvd-at-home). I'm not able to call them cause I'll be at work.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Blah, the least they they could do is grandfather in their members who have been around for a while and leave them alone. I am probably going to drop streaming come September, many because of the fact that I will not be able to afford both streaming and blu-ray single discs. It sucks because now I will have to go in and write down all the films at tv shows that I have I my watch instant queue and then add them to my regular queue. I might have to go back to two at a time if it isn't too expensive either and now I will have to start gaming more because of the fact that I will have use my PS3 for something else besides streaming.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Korean cinema is pretty much my "go to" for awesome foreign movies. They're so deliciously hosed up, you can't help but love them.

Best Korean films on view instantly right now:

Mother

The Host

The Chaser

Oldboy

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance

Lady Vengeance

Thirst

The Good, The Bad and The Weird

and of course The Man from Nowhere

Also, it's not on view instantly, so add it to your DVD queue and watch it immediately: Save the Green Planet Awesome, awesome, hilariously dark movie.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Korean cinema is pretty much my "go to" for awesome foreign movies. They're so deliciously hosed up, you can't help but love them.

Best Korean films on view instantly right now:

Mother

The Host

The Chaser

Oldboy

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance

Lady Vengeance

Thirst

The Good, The Bad and The Weird

and of course The Man from Nowhere

Also, it's not on view instantly, so add it to your DVD queue and watch it immediately: Save the Green Planet Awesome, awesome, hilariously dark movie.

Everyone's gushed about The Man From Nowhere and I Saw The Devil lately, but here's some older ones to throw in too:
A Tale of Two Sisters (always gets overlooked since it came out the same year as Oldboy)
The Isle
Three... Extremes (All three are awesome horror shorts and Chan-Wook Park has one in it)

HamSmoothie
Nov 17, 2007
The other white meat is now a tasty beverage!

cheerfullydrab posted:

With this new price increase, my 3 at a time plan has gone from 17 bucks to 24 in the last year. It's not like $7 a month is a huge onerous financial burden, but it's a pretty big amount percentage-wise.

This is my main issue with the price increase, my plan will cost me a third more because of the price structure separation. I stream a bit, get dvd's cycled once a week when I remember to mail them, but most importantly, I thought I was getting fair value for my money.

I'm not angry but I am disappointed that there isn't a bundle option that gives a discount for having both streaming and dvd's or a grandfather discount for long-time subscribers.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

HamSmoothie posted:

I'm not angry but I am disappointed that there isn't a bundle option that gives a discount for having both streaming and dvd's or a grandfather discount for long-time subscribers.
I'm definitely feeling the same way. I've been with them since around the beginning and have never canceled or put my account on hold. I'd be glad to give them more money if they asked, but doubling my rate is just going to piss me off and is going to make them lose potential money.
However, they know that they are the only caterer to the streaming/dvd-through-mail market so they know they can get away with crap like this. Kind of ticks me off, but its not going to make me leave (where would I go?).

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I really liked The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters, which is a documentry about competing for a Donkey Kong high score. :shobon:

God grew tired of us, which is about the Lost Boys of Sudan was also pretty good.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

casual poster posted:

I'm definitely feeling the same way. I've been with them since around the beginning and have never canceled or put my account on hold. I'd be glad to give them more money if they asked, but doubling my rate is just going to piss me off and is going to make them lose potential money.
However, they know that they are the only caterer to the streaming/dvd-through-mail market so they know they can get away with crap like this. Kind of ticks me off, but its not going to make me leave (where would I go?).

You could pirate everything always

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Juriko posted:

and they do not make that much money currently.
If you don't think Netflix makes an absolute shitload of money I don't know what to say. They must pay a lot of hosting fees, but they had 403 million dollars of gross profit in March 2011.

http://www.wikinvest.com/stock/Netflix_(NFLX)/Data/Income_Statement

kri kri has a new favorite as of 21:45 on Jul 13, 2011

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

kri kri posted:

If you don't think Netflix makes an absolute shitload of money I don't know what to say. They must pay a lot of hosting fees, but they had 403 million dollars of gross profit in March 2011.

http://www.wikinvest.com/stock/Netflix_(NFLX)/Data/Income_Statement

Yeah, and they're potentially looking at having to pay upwards of 2 Billion dollars to renew their streaming licenses with studios.

Also, gross profit tells you almost nothing. What matters is net and margin. Also, they're now competing with the likes of Google and Amazon who have huge cash reserves.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
This is sort of troubling news, but I switched to streaming only last month anyway. What I like about Netflix is that when I'm actually in the mood to watch TV/movies I can always find something new to watch.

And to keep on the topic of the thread, I'm a few episodes into Trailer Park Boys and I really like it. If you haven't seen it, it's a fake reality show (like Reno 911 or the Office) about two Canadian ex-cons who live in a trailer park. The characters on the show are incredibly surreal, but in a believable way, which probably just makes the show funnier and actually makes the serious/dramatic parts of TPB believable. I especially love that the people in the show constantly interact with the cameramen in ways that no one does on reality tv, but would if it were actually real.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Just to all of you guys who are asking about Korean movies (myself included) theres a CD thread that has recommendations in it. Definitely check it out.

EDIT: link

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN
When did the original X-MEN cartoon get put on netflix? I just watched the first ten episodes and it was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoorMatt
Dec 14, 2007
Watch The Nose

XCPuff posted:

When did the original X-MEN cartoon get put on netflix? I just watched the first ten episodes and it was awesome.

A week ago maybe? They also put up the 90's spider-man which is equally as awesome.

• Locked thread