Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

WoG posted:

"Williamson County is ranked among the wealthiest counties in the country. In 2006 it was the 11th wealthiest county in the country according to the U.S. Census Bureau, but the Council for Community and Economic Research ranked Williamson County as America's wealthiest county (1st) when the local cost of living was factored into the equation with median household income." -wiki

Yep, we have country stars and lots of big businesses, and Middle Tennessee is dirt cheap to live in. I'm likely moving to Philly this fall, and I am not looking forward to the price increase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Lowen SoDium posted:

Does Spare Parts force close for anyone else on their EVO 3D when they click battery history?

Yes, mine does.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Lowen SoDium posted:

Does Spare Parts force close for anyone else on their EVO 3D when they click battery history?

My Evo 4G Fc when I go to battery history as well.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Lowen SoDium posted:

Yup, same here.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
My default time and weather widget keeps saying that I'm in Dunn Loring, VA when I'm at home though I'm actually in Baltimore, MD. If I go out, it figures out where I am correctly, but when I return home, it says Dunn Loring again. My husband has the same phone (EVO 3D) and his doesn't do it.

I set my "home" location to Baltimore, MD, and I updated my PRL and profile, and it still says Dunn Loring. Any ideas?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Is there anything in Spare Parts that'd be useful for EVO 3D users, anyway? I downloaded it a while back, noticed it hadn't been updated and was basically unusable so I uninstalled.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

a shameful boehner posted:

I can't wait to see the counter-ads to this. If AT&T and Verizon respond, it'll almost be a tacit acknowledgement that they know that Sprint's right. Well played, Sprint PR team.

It's a pretty good ad - not to mention I had the joy of experiencing T-Mo's "basically a hard cap" throttling. It made 1x (What I'm pretty sure I had on my Evo 3D - slow as gently caress in West Central FL) look like goddamn FIOS in comparison.

Sure, with 3G, yeah it'll take a bit to buffer youtube videos but eventually they will play. Whatever was going through my phone down there was hardly fast enough to make web browsing worthwhile. I understand the phone just shows any old data connection as 3G, but it was noticeably bad. I thought Omaha was comparatively a rural bumfuck compared to the urbanized parts of FL (e.g. Pinellas, Orlando, Tampa, etc) but it's the goddamn city of tomorrow as far as wireless goes.

For added hilarity my stepmother's kid was having trouble with her phone, went to the T-mo store and they deactivated my stepmother's SIM and popped a new one in the daughter's phone, effectively killing service to stepmom's phone and transferring said number and service to the daughter's phone. She calls her own number on Dad's phone and it's answered by the daughter, in the t-mo store. I never liked the woman (an e/n-worthy story behind that) but it was rather stunning to see the whole thing play out.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 12, 2011

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Alman posted:

Just started running a new ad, basically it owns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jphXLfKO2yg
It's about loving time they started calling out the other providers.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

a shameful boehner posted:

Is there anything in Spare Parts that'd be useful for EVO 3D users, anyway? I downloaded it a while back, noticed it hadn't been updated and was basically unusable so I uninstalled.

I had something running on my phone yesterday that was keeping the phone in partial wake lock and eating battery. Spare parts is the only tool that I know of that will let you see what had partial wake lock.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

Only 12 more days until the sgs2! :smithicide:

Appachai fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 12, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Appachai posted:

Only 12 more days until the sgs2! :smithicide:

What?

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

What?

That was the latest rumor. Unfortunately Samsung haven't said a peep about it. My Hero is really showing its age these days

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I've got a disconcerting glitch on my EVO 3D a couple of times now that has got me worried. When I open up the camera app, or anything that uses the camera, like Goggles, I see several vertical lines going up and down across the screen. It clearly looks like some kind of video freakout, or like the display is busted. Again its only happened twice and a restart has cleared the issue. Anyone experience anything similar?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Appachai posted:

My Hero is really showing its age these days
Thankfully the HTC Evo 3D is already out and the Motorola Photon should be out by the end of the month I think. That and I'm optimistically hoping that the Google Nexus ICS device launches on Sprint.

Unless Kyocera decides to pull a high-end 4G phone out of their rear end, that's it for Android devices. There's no other manufacturers. None.

Appachai posted:

Unfortunately Samsung haven't said a peep about it.
That's because they can't get the radio to work.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 12, 2011

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Is there a way to get google news to stop constantly loading and reloading, even after everything has finished loading?

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Thankfully the HTC Evo 3D is already out and the Motorola Photon should be out by the end of the month I think. That and I'm optimistically hoping that the Google Nexus ICS device launches on Sprint.

Unless Kyocera decides to pull a high-end 4G phone out of their rear end, that's it for Android devices. There's no other manufacturers. None.

I'd really like to see a slimmer phone come out. That's my main gripe about the evo3d/photon and why I was waiting for the sgs2

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Evo 3d is pretty drat slim.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
Evo 3d is pretty drat slim.

Not compared to the sgs 2 or iphone.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Appachai posted:

Not compared to the sgs 2 or iphone.

2-3 mm difference. I wear pretty slim jeans, and I have no problems with the thickness.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
2-3 mm difference. I wear pretty slim jeans, and I have no problems with the thickness.

Congratulations on your opinion. I don't share it. My sister has one and it just looks massive. Also 2mm out of 9 is a pretty big chunk.

Appachai fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 13, 2011

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Appachai posted:

I'd really like to see a slimmer phone come out. That's my main gripe about the evo3d/photon and why I was waiting for the sgs2

Me too. I am over the HTC brick design of my EVO. I want slimmer and less weight. I wish HTC would come up with a sexier design and get rid of Rosie.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I think the 3d is both slim AND sexy, don't see why you guys are carrying on when a lot of people are stuck with bricks.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I'm a small person with small pants and small pockets, the Evo 3D does not take up noticeably more space in my pocket than my old Hero.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Mnemosyne posted:

My default time and weather widget keeps saying that I'm in Dunn Loring, VA when I'm at home though I'm actually in Baltimore, MD. If I go out, it figures out where I am correctly, but when I return home, it says Dunn Loring again. My husband has the same phone (EVO 3D) and his doesn't do it.

I set my "home" location to Baltimore, MD, and I updated my PRL and profile, and it still says Dunn Loring. Any ideas?
Do you have an Airave at home?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

nate fisher posted:

Me too. I am over the HTC brick design of my EVO. I want slimmer and less weight. I wish HTC would come up with a sexier design and get rid of Rosie.

What 'sexier design' is there? The Evo, Evo 3D, iPhone, and SGS2 are all basically the same design.. a rectangle with rounded corners. They vary in exact dimensions, but for all intents and purposes they're 95% the same shape.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

traveling midget posted:

What 'sexier design' is there? The Evo, Evo 3D, iPhone, and SGS2 are all basically the same design.. a rectangle with rounded corners. They vary in exact dimensions, but for all intents and purposes they're 95% the same shape.

My brick is sexier than your brick.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

The Entire Universe posted:

It's a pretty good ad - not to mention I had the joy of experiencing T-Mo's "basically a hard cap" throttling. It made 1x (What I'm pretty sure I had on my Evo 3D - slow as gently caress in West Central FL) look like goddamn FIOS in comparison.

They don't even start thinking about throttling til past 5gb, and up to that point the speeds are fantastic. I was regularly getting 3mbit/sec+ on my Nexus One.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

traveling midget posted:

Yes but HTC fails at that extra 5%. Maybe it doesn't matter to you but after my 4th HTC phone I am over it. In no way no a see the same phone when I look at the SGSII.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 13, 2011

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I'm fine with sticking with a 'not quite as sexy' phone that's reliable and powerful and a company with a great track record for updates and mostly bug-free software. You guys have fun with the next hot great thing, just ask the t-mobile thread how that G2X worked out.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

big mean giraffe posted:

I'm fine with sticking with a 'not quite as sexy' phone that's reliable and powerful and a company with a great track record for updates and mostly bug-free software. You guys have fun with the next hot great thing, just ask the t-mobile thread how that G2X worked out.

And that is your choice, and not even saying I am going to get a SGSII (which right now is the best reviewed phone out, I just share the same worries about the US version) . That said I am pretty sure my next phone will be a Samsung since it looks like they are doing the Nexus ICS.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

td4guy posted:

Do you have an Airave at home?

I do, but that's another issue I've been having: my phone for some reason will almost never pick it up. My husband's 3D picks up the Airave with no problem and his weather thing doesn't think he's in the wrong state.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I don't think it's universally agreed that the SGSII is the "best (reviewed) phone out." I'm sure it's a lovely device, however, it does lack qHD. That's not fatal, and the presence of qHD doesn't instantly make a phone better. However I imagine some folks are preferenced towards the Sensation or Evo 3D in large part because they do feature qHD.

nate fisher posted:

That said I am pretty sure my next phone will be a Samsung since it looks like they are doing the Nexus ICS.
The Nexus ICS won't be a Samsung device in the same sense that the SGSII is, even if it's OEMed by Samsung. It's an important distinction, as nearly every flaw in Samsung devices can be attributed to a software stack that's not under Google's management.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
So I occasionally wonder if sprints 3g coverage is poo poo everywhere or if scranton just gets forgotten about. Is sprint 3g spotty as hell/nonexistent everywhere else or is it just us?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

grvm posted:

So I occasionally wonder if sprints 3g coverage is poo poo everywhere or if scranton just gets forgotten about. Is sprint 3g spotty as hell/nonexistent everywhere else or is it just us?
Where in Scranton are you?

I live in the Hill Section and have great coverage. Its fine from Dunmore/Throop all the way south to south Wilkes-Barre. East and west side of the Lackawanna and Susquehanna Rivers are solidly 3G. Leave the thin stip along I-81 and it sucks. Clarks Summit and Dallas/Back Mountain should really have better coverage than they do. (The 2 wealthiest suburbs in the region)

EDIT: I didn't really answer your question. With 350k-500k people, the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre metro really is ignored by everyone but Verizon. Sprint's network in northeast and central PA used to belong to a third party called iPCS, who spent far more money in litigation against Sprint and Nextel than upgrading their network. Look at how dense the coverage is in the southeast and southwest corners of the state. We're far too close to the Poconos and the Boston-Washington corridor to feel as isolated as we are.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Yeah the north Valley, anywhere north of Olyphant, is almost entirely 1x. The only place in Dickson City you'll get 3G is the Sprint Store. All the rest of the Mall and Big Box stores are spotty--it makes using any shopping or price comparison apps very frustrating.

The manager at the Sprint store hinted that Network Vision should bring some improvement to the area. She acknowledged that iPCS had left some problems when Sprint bought them out last year, though she didn't clarify whether she was talking about the network infrastructure or the retail end she deals with.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jul 13, 2011

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

goku chewbacca posted:

Where in Scranton are you?

I live in the Hill Section and have great coverage. Its great from Dunmore/Throop all the way south to south Wilkes-Barre. East and west side of the Lackawanna and Susquehanna Rivers are solidly 3G. Leave the Valley and it sucks. Clarks Summit and Dallas/Back Mountain should really have better coverage than they do.

Peckville, actually. I get 3g in one room of my house and don't get it at either of my workplaces (jessup and dickson city), and when I'm out I rarely get 3g anywhere in dickson, archbald, jessup, or peckville. Except when I'm in like center city scranton, which is about the only place in Scranton I actually go, I don't get 3g.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I called the Sprint rep who gives the corporate discount up for my company and signed up. After I called him back with the info to have my number ported over from Verizon, I can't use data or make outgoing calls.. I just get a steady high pitched noise after a few rings. I can accept incoming calls, however. The phone number he gave me to call (the only number I can reach) leads to a confusing set of menus that asks me for a PIN number. What am I doing wrong here?

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

big mean giraffe posted:

They don't even start thinking about throttling til past 5gb, and up to that point the speeds are fantastic. I was regularly getting 3mbit/sec+ on my Nexus One.

Friend of mine on T-Mobile hit the 5GB cap like a week after the Netflix app was released. He still had ~2 weeks left in the month and he said it was hell.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Did I bone myself somehow by blocking short codes on my account's lines? All I can think of when I think "short code" is Coke Rewards poo poo, $10/month horoscopes (the impetus for the block, thanks boss's wife for signing up 2x), and upgrade eligibility checks which I can do through other means anyway. Anything obvious I'm going to miss?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

sirbeefalot posted:

Anything obvious I'm going to miss?
Voting on American Idol?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mtr
May 15, 2008
I know that Sprint's network was messed up a few days ago, but is anyone else still having problems?

Two of my friends who are on Verizon have texted me in the past day and I haven't received any of the texts. I'm trying to determine if it's Sprint or my phone causing the problem. Google Voice hasn't even picked up on the texts, so I think it's Sprint?

Edit: I've tested this a little further now. It appears I can send texts to anyone. I can receive texts from one of my Sprint friends. But I cannot receive texts from Verizon people. Testing with AT%T right now.

mtr fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 13, 2011