Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont eat a carb
May 2, 2011

by T. Finn

hotsauce posted:

So you would basically need to re-foodsaver it every time you need a charge?

This is actually a very good idea for the beach...especially since the Kindle holds a charge for weeks and weeks...

Edit: Are you able to easily slide the power switch on and off?

You can stop it before it completely sucks out the air, which allows some flotation pillowing / switch manipulation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007
I was all of history's great robot actors. Acting Unit 0.8. Thespomat. David Duchovny!
The IR Touch doesn't seem to work through ziplock bags. My Kobo touch I can't ziplock bag :(

I probably need to try out differing thicknesses of re-seal-able bags to find the right kind.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982
Only problem I found with the ziplock bag solution is condensation. After reading at the beach for an hour or so, there is moisture droplets at the top of the bag that freaks me out a little.

Haven't figured out how to combat this yet besides putting some paper towel in with the kindle.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

FidgetyRat posted:

Only problem I found with the ziplock bag solution is condensation. After reading at the beach for an hour or so, there is moisture droplets at the top of the bag that freaks me out a little.

Haven't figured out how to combat this yet besides putting some paper towel in with the kindle.

Save up desiccant packs from stuff, or they can even be purchased online.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

NM

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Apparently Google is working with iRiver to make the next iRiver Story fully integrated with Google Books.

If Google Books become much bigger than it currently is I can see that being kind of cool but right now I don't see it being much of a reason to pick up the iRiver over a Kindle or Nook.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

z0331 posted:

Apparently Google is working with iRiver to make the next iRiver Story fully integrated with Google Books.

If Google Books become much bigger than it currently is I can see that being kind of cool but right now I don't see it being much of a reason to pick up the iRiver over a Kindle or Nook.

Not only did I not know that iRiver had an ebook reader, I haven't heard the name iRiver since 2002 or 2003 and honestly thought they had gone out of business long, long ago. Good marketing, guys!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I used to have an iRiver mp3CD player. That was like 10 years ago, crap. What have they been doing all these years?

chapstickie
Apr 30, 2011
So, any recent developments on ereaders on planes? I'm going to be flying cross country soon and I'm terrified that they are going to refuse to let me read my Kindle and I'm going to end up staring at the back of the seat in front of me for 6 hours with nothing to do. Possible?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why do you think that? They only ask you to turn off electronics during take offs and landings. People use their laptops during the whole flight.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

chapstickie posted:

So, any recent developments on ereaders on planes? I'm going to be flying cross country soon and I'm terrified that they are going to refuse to let me read my Kindle and I'm going to end up staring at the back of the seat in front of me for 6 hours with nothing to do. Possible?

I traveled back in may and use my kindle on the flight. They wont care except for take off and landings.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

otterbox.com would be your best hope (plus ziplock bag).

Didn't Jeff Bezos himself recommend a ziplock bag for the Kindle?

quote:

What do you say to Kindle users who like to read in the bathtub?
I’ll tell you what I do. I take a one-gallon Ziploc bag, and I put my Kindle in my one-gallon Ziploc bag, and it works beautifully. It’s much better than a physical book, because obviously if you put your physical book in a Ziploc bag you can’t turn the pages. But with Kindle, you can just push the buttons.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/06/magazine/06fob-q4-t.html?_r=1

FidgetyRat posted:

Squeeze all the air out of the bag before zipping it up.

reddeathdrinker posted:

On an actual Kindle (not Android/iPhone though), there is a sort by Title/Authour/Collections/Most Recent First option at the top of the books list...

Unfortunately it doesn't work at all like it does on the Sony Readers. Collections, especially, are screwy since you need to manually add the books.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 12, 2011

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Mu Zeta posted:

I used to have an iRiver mp3CD player. That was like 10 years ago, crap. What have they been doing all these years?

I had that same player I bet. It was pretty awesome.

They came out with some media player that included a screen and could play movies before the iPod Touch came out that I really wanted. Luckily I never got it, though.

chapstickie
Apr 30, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Why do you think that? They only ask you to turn off electronics during take offs and landings. People use their laptops during the whole flight.

I'm not sure why I thought that. I think I remember reading something about some flight attendant not letting someone use their first gen back when the things weren't so common. I guess I was just worried because I was so looking forward to not having to pull out my laptop or anything the whole time and planes already stress me out.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Vertigus posted:

Squeeze all the air out of the bag before zipping it up.

Even better, use a straw to suck the air out. Works faster.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

A bath lasts for less than half an hour, unless you're "otherwise occupied." You can use your first world electronics after that, christ.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

doctorfrog posted:

A bath lasts for less than half an hour, unless you're "otherwise occupied." You can use your first world electronics after that, christ.

Some people take a bath to relax :eng101:

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Anyone know how to get the Nook Touch to sync with other Nook programs, e.g., Nook Ipad? That's EASILY the worst part about the Nook Touch. Absolutely terrible syncing. Kindle/Kindle apps had me spoiled.

roffles
Dec 25, 2004
Does anyone use the kindle app for android + dictionary? I'm trying to get the dictionary to work but it just hangs on the downloading attempt. Is there a way to get it separately? I'm on the newest version of the app from the amazon marketplace and tried uninstalling/reinstalling but nothing works.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

commish posted:

Anyone know how to get the Nook Touch to sync with other Nook programs, e.g., Nook Ipad? That's EASILY the worst part about the Nook Touch. Absolutely terrible syncing. Kindle/Kindle apps had me spoiled.

Even after I activated the option on my Nook (hidden in the individual book menu by the way, stupid loving place for it to be) I have never been able to sync my books between my three devices with any kind of consistency or reliability.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

So hitting the refresh button in the Library doesn't cause a sync?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Rastor posted:

So hitting the refresh button in the Library doesn't cause a sync?

Sometimes but not often, and only if the B&N servers decided to note where I left off, which doesn't happen very often either. For a while I tried to get it all to work but I eventually just gave up, I just carry my Nook around with me most places now so I just read on that whenever I want to read.

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.
Is there any way to jump to footnotes on the Kindle? Having to scroll through the whole page with the 5-way is kind of a pain when there are 2 or 3 per page.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

doctorfrog posted:

Yeah and people like to read regular books in the bath, so that's why people with ereaders also want to read them in the bath.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

doctorfrog posted:

Will you stop with the annoying "First world problems" meme? It's running rampant, and I suppose the inevitable conclusion is that every single thing people talk about if they're not actually a starving Somalian boy will have to come equipped with a disclaimer so they don't appear to be selfish.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
A bath is a "first world luxury" in the first place, so it's a bit silly. If someone is going to take the time to enjoy a bath, why not enjoy a book as well? And it's absolutely comparable to reading a paperback in the bath.

Personally I don't do this (because I am a goon that never bathes) but I don't see any reason to knock people for doing so.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Vertigus posted:

Will you stop with the annoying "First world problems" meme? It's running rampant, and I suppose the inevitable conclusion is that every single thing people talk about if they're not actually a starving Somalian boy will have to come equipped with a disclaimer so they don't appear to be selfish.

I didn't mean it to that ludicrous a degree, and I'm sorry that you are seeing that a lot on the internet, I guess.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Some of us prefer to not soak in a tub of our own filth.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

It works just as well if you're lying prostrate on a divan, being covered in sensuous oils by your retinue.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

withak posted:

Name these people!

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Is there anyway to use the Google Chat part of Gmail on a Kindle? I'm mainly concerned about using it to send SMS.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

withak posted:

So don't roll around in the mud before you take a relaxing bath, gosh.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

withak posted:

That's why you shower the filth off first :eng101:

Vertigus posted:

It works just as well if you're lying prostrate on a divan, being covered in sensuous oils by your retinue.

This is literally the only funny post in the ebook reader thread

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Just a note, TSA doesn't always like it when you pack your kindle in your bag. So you should think about setting it in a bin with your shoes. Seems like some care, some don't if its in your bag. Other than TSA, the flight attendants just told me to turn it off for take off and landing.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Sad Panda posted:

Is there anyway to use the Google Chat part of Gmail on a Kindle? I'm mainly concerned about using it to send SMS.

Why that and not Google Voice?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Sperg Victorious posted:

Just a note, TSA doesn't always like it when you pack your kindle in your bag. So you should think about setting it in a bin with your shoes. Seems like some care, some don't if its in your bag. Other than TSA, the flight attendants just told me to turn it off for take off and landing.

My understanding is that you're supposed to take it out of your bag and run it through in a bin, like a laptop or tablet pc. They were fine with leaving it in a Timbuk2 sleeve though.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think just about anything with batteries and circuit boards they will want to see outside of your bag.

chapstickie
Apr 30, 2011

Sperg Victorious posted:

Good to know, thanks. I really hate how flying makes me feel like a criminal but knowing ahead of time what is expected of me always helps a little. Having so many books at my fingertips when I fly is going to be amazing. Last time I flew i had to bring 3 books to be safe that I'd be happy with the current genre all the way through.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

New Kindles and a Kindle tablet on the way by October...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303406104576444213058153874.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

commish posted:

New Kindles and a Kindle tablet on the way by October...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303406104576444213058153874.html

WSJ posted:

The two new black-and-white Kindle electronic readers will use the same technology as in the previous Kindles

Did Amazon not say that they weren't going to introduce new Kindles until E Ink brought out updated screen technology? I love my Kindle to bits, I love Amazon and I'm a sucker for new gadgets, but does anyone have any idea what the non-touch variety of Kindle would have over the current-gen device?