Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

The puppy photos are here:

http://www.chiens-de-france.com/sit..._RUBRIQUE=31468

The guy is really insistent that no one repost his photos elsewhere, so you'll have to click through. They're cute little buggers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

WolfensteinBag posted:

The thread about it is surprisingly calm. Seems like people are of the attitude, "Well, so long as people are willing to get their dogs tested, no one has anything to hide," and people seem cooperative. It's quite possible it all stems from accidental breedings from breeders with lots of dogs (who also own Saarloos, obviously), so people are willing to help search just so it can be shown that there were mistakes. Also, to see what dogs are related to the red ones.

I've also been meaning to PM you, lots of unrelated drama I wanted to see if you knew about. :ninja:

That definitely surprises me. You should send me a message though, it's been a while and I've been somewhat out of the Vlcak drama loop lately.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Oh man I haven't posted in here in forever. I really need to put up some more pics of Thor now that he's all growed up.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Yes. Yes you do. :colbert: I was thinking I need to get some new ones of Buddy, too. All his pictures look the same, though, just him laying around, for the most part. :downs: It's too hot to do anything fun outside with him, but I'll have to figure out some sort of excuse to take pictures...

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

I have videos of Kaidan from this past weekend. Will post them tonight or tomorrow. But yes, there is no such thing as too many Husky pictures.

Regarding the pool picture from the random thread, we actually had to shape him getting in the pool. He'd walk up to it, drink from it :downs: and then go lay down somewhere while Eris would generally have all the fun. He finally put a paw in this time so we started treating and praising him for it and next thing we knew he was standing in it then he finally laid down and we threw him the biggest party ever. It was pretty great. And yes, I was ridiculously excited that my dog laid down in a kiddie pool. :colbert:

It's been tough lately though, it's been consistently up in the low 90s on the weekends so we haven't been able to take him out much.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

WolfensteinBag posted:

Yes. Yes you do. :colbert: I was thinking I need to get some new ones of Buddy, too. All his pictures look the same, though, just him laying around, for the most part. :downs: It's too hot to do anything fun outside with him, but I'll have to figure out some sort of excuse to take pictures...

I've been so busy with work and school lately that I've been neglecting all of my internet poo poo.

bad news/good news though, he almost died a couple of weeks ago, but he's back up to fighting strength, with probably more energy than before.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

EdsTeioh posted:

bad news/good news though, he almost died a couple of weeks ago, but he's back up to fighting strength, with probably more energy than before.

Geeze, what happened? :(

rivals posted:

It's been tough lately though, it's been consistently up in the low 90s on the weekends so we haven't been able to take him out much.

This is the worst time of year to own a husky. :( Every year, I've always thought to myself, "Oh, poor Buddy's getting old... he's slowing down so much..." only to realize it's just the heat, and then he goes CRAZY in the fall. :rolleyes: I finally put a stop to it this year, knowing he's just hot, and then my husband says something about worrying if Buddy's sick, haha.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

WolfensteinBag posted:

Geeze, what happened? :(

Long story short, my (now ex) GF tried to OD on klonopins and Thor ended up eating a bunch of them. There's a wall of text post about the saga over in the Breakup Megathread in E/N.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Ouch. Sorry to hear about that :( Hope everything's going better now though.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

It's...better, I guess. Still rough, but Thor and I are managing. He and I just split a gyro and he's asleep on my feet, so that's a good thing.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Man, I'm sorry about all that. :( At least you & Thor are doing well!

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

A couple more Juno/Ike videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVn8M-qtY0w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdx6_2p4M2Y
(sorry about the wrongly oriented video, I wasn't filming)

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Steve French posted:

A couple more Juno/Ike videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVn8M-qtY0w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdx6_2p4M2Y
(sorry about the wrongly oriented video, I wasn't filming)

Ok, I have to ask, where exactly do you live? Because I SWEAR our huskies could be related...

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
Are mastiffs considered a primitive breed?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

angrytech posted:

Are mastiffs considered a primitive breed?

Bully breed I think.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

WolfensteinBag posted:

Ok, I have to ask, where exactly do you live? Because I SWEAR our huskies could be related...

SF bay area. Ike came from a breeder in Squaw Valley, CA, the town near Fresno, not the ski resort near Truckee.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

New Buddy pictures! :3: Since switching him to Blue Buffalo Wilderness last fall, Buddy's coat has gotten AMAZING. It was always too soft before, and his shedding was sporadic and never made sense with the weather. Well, he grew a HUGE undercoat this past winter, and he FINALLY shed the majority of it out! There's only a little bit left here & there. For the first time ever, Buddy has a real, honest to goodness summer coat! So I had my husband take some pictures of him where you can see just how sleek he is. :3: For the first time ever, too, you can actually see how nice and trim he is, without having to feel through all his hair. So my husband walked him & tired him out, and I held him in as good of a stack as I could. :) (p.s. Please ignore my lovely toenail polish, I'm hugely pregnant and can't reach my toes very well anymore... :colbert: )

Buddy's conformation isn't actually TOO terribly bad when you look at a side view like this (just goes to show how it can be deceiving!) His legs are angled pretty well, but they're all definitely too short for the rest of his body. If his legs had a different body, or vice versa, he'd actually be in proportion.

From the front, you can really see how his chest is too wide. Not really conducive to running, but he's still super cute. :3:

Lookit, Buddy actually has a waist! :3: Again, you can see how barrel chested he is.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Buddy is looking great! Seeing Buddy reminded me...

I came across an absolutely gorgeous Husky at the park a few days ago. Same colouration as Buddy, which is what triggered the memory.

Cohen looooves Huskies, so she immediately ran up to play, and the two spent a few minutes playing chase and wrestling (with Cohen doing somersaults to encourage play :3:). It was tremendously cute.

Then I looked a little closer at the Husky while it was chasing -- 1, 2, 3 legs. It moved so naturally that I hadn't noticed it was missing a rear left leg. I'm always amazed at how well dogs can adapt to a handicap like that.

I freakin' love Huskies.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

:neckbeard: That is soooo cute! I love 3 legged dogs, I tell my husband all the time that one of the dogs we WILL own at some point is going to have 3 legs. :3:

Looking at Buddy's pictures again, I realized that it's mainly his front legs that are too stubby. :3: The back ones aren't REALLY that bad... poor uneven pup! Also, he's getting SO grey! He's about 9, now, so it's understandable, it's just crazy how black he used to be, and now it's only at the tips of his hair on his sides. I'll find some old pictures of him to show the difference...

Edit: Ok, this is from the first winter we had him:

and for something even CRAZIER, these pictures I dug up some while ago are from when Buddy was listed on the rescue site for the FIRST time, like 1-2 years before we got him. HE HAS NO SNOW NOSE!!

WolfensteinBag fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 13, 2011

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Something about the seriousness of Buddy's expression sometimes makes me :3: so hard. He looks beautiful!

Baika
Jul 8, 2011

Cap on, apply directly to the rats head.
Does anyone here have experience with Finnish Lapphunds? From what I've read online they tend to be easy going and highly trainable, and used in a huge variety of sports and as service/therapy dogs. I have not met a Finnish Lapphund in my life and there are maybe less than 10 breeders in the U.S/Canada.

I would imagine the mast majority of spitz breeds can be really stubborn when it comes to training, smart, with aloof/independent personalities and hard to deal with. Since it may (or may not, futures change a lot) be my first dog, will I be facing a difficult breed of dog to raise? I have trained/worked with difficult dogs before, but only for maybe a couple of hours a week at a non-kill shelter.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

WolfensteinBag posted:

BUDDY! :3:

Woah, big coat and nose difference! Haha. I love Buddy. :3: He really is looking rather good in those recent pictures, WBag!

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Baika posted:

Does anyone here have experience with Finnish Lapphunds? From what I've read online they tend to be easy going and highly trainable, and used in a huge variety of sports and as service/therapy dogs. I have not met a Finnish Lapphund in my life and there are maybe less than 10 breeders in the U.S/Canada.

I would imagine the mast majority of spitz breeds can be really stubborn when it comes to training, smart, with aloof/independent personalities and hard to deal with. Since it may (or may not, futures change a lot) be my first dog, will I be facing a difficult breed of dog to raise? I have trained/worked with difficult dogs before, but only for maybe a couple of hours a week at a non-kill shelter.

I think the board has two Lapphund owners: Sharks Below and Riiseli (who I believe breeds them). Or does Riiseli have Lapponians?

They seem like really cool dogs, but unfortunately I don't have any first hand experience with them. Riiseli competes in obedience with hers -- they give me the impression that they're particularly biddable for spitzes.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

I think Riiseli has a Lapponian but breeds Lapphunds.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

rivals posted:

We should have a roll call thread where people post what pets they have or have had experience with. Optional locations for PI socializing. The Dorkroom people do it to set up photowalks and whatnot.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

WolfensteinBag posted:

drat, from above, he looks a LOT like Asa - his summer coat is looking FANTASTIC. God he's a gorgeous dog. Me wants steal? ;) hahah
I <3 Huskies! Yay huskies! I'm not allowed to have one (too big) so keep posting pics :P

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Nikita is the prettiest dog.

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.

rivals posted:

Pretty close. I have a Finnish Lapphund and a Lapponian Herder and breed Lapphunds.

Baika posted:

Easy going is pretty accurate. As far as highly trainable goes it depends on what you mean with it. They are always smart, most learn easily and like learning new stuff, but the amounts of repetition it takes for example to be competetive (at the highest level) in competition obedience doesn't come easy as Lapphunds seem to think "I already did this, let's move on to the next exercise". Of course this has to do with the owners and training methods quite a bit too, but what would work for a more biddable and energetic breed won't often work with a Lapphund. So training a Lapphund for competitions does often mean focusing on motivation quite a bit. Almost all will work for food and most go for toys as well, but food is usually the best motivator, even if playing has been well taught.

They are vastly better than our typical spitz breeds. Our typical spitz is a working line hunting dog, so a spitz that has a herding background is something else. They aren't as independent as these hunting type dogs and do enjoy human company immensely. They are typically open and friendly towards ALL people and most will tolerate a wide range of behaviors from humans with ease (hence therapy dogs). I'd probably place them below keeshonds, mittel- and wolfspitzs in terms of trainability. But Finnish Lapphunds, even if they are loud, are generally quieter than at least mittels and wolfs. Raising an average Finnish Lapphund into a respectable canine citizen is quite easy. Some males are a bit territorial and as a result need some work with their behavior on a leash when passing other dogs (you'll need to remember is that we deal with intact dogs here in Finland). And another somewhat common problem seems to be teaching a reliable recall. You won't usually lose a Lapphund without a 100% recall, but they might chase a rabbit for a while or go and greet other dogs as result.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Sadly she hates the hot weather. Putting her outside is an exercise in resisting puppy dog eyes.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 16, 2011

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Warbadger posted:

Awww, lookit her face! :3:

Oh, & thanks for all the nice comments about Buddy, guys. :) He has to be feeling really nice without all that undercoat keeping him down!

Funny punk-rear end Buddy story I posted in the Random Nonsense thread

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Nikita :swoon:

Hrafn that is my side of the bed. Please put my pillow back and get that smug grin off of your pointy face. Asshat.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

"Sock Weasel posted:

Hrafn that is my side of the bed. Please put my pillow back and get that smug grin off of your pointy face. Asshat.

hahahaha! He totally is smug! :smug: He's such a cute dog. :3:

We've both been DYING for a 2nd dog lately, all these pictures are not helping our cause! I even had a dream the other night that we adopted a 5 month old GSD that was supposed to be a working prospect, but didn't work out, and she needed a home, so we took her in. :3: Really, though, if we had our way, our next dog would be a CsV, and between pictures of Hrafn, Nikita (who just looks wolfy :3: ), and the tons of pictures people post of their CsVs/litters on facebook, it's just KILLING me! It's probably a good think we're going to have a baby here, soon, otherwise we might have ended up doing something crazy. I think if I weren't pregnant, we would have ended up with a crazy pack of dogs instead of kids. But hell, who am I kidding? We're still going to have a crazy pack of dogs, they'll just be further down the line...

Edit:
:3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FwxTYwdVCD4

Uphir z Peronowki

WolfensteinBag fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 19, 2011

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Augh I feel your pain! We're looking to get Raf a companion once our finances are a bit more stable and I'll be damned if I don't keep finding myself on shelter websites... That and there have been some stunning CsV litters lately and I'm just counting my blessings that I can't afford a pup at the moment haha. (Saying that, if/when I get another CsV I will be so so picky with the parents. I love Hrafn to pieces and wouldn't change a thing about him but he is looking rather shepherdy for the breed..!)

That video though. :3:

Sock Weasel fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 19, 2011

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

I want a dog from Margo SO badly. We won't be getting another dog for a while though, and drat if I don't want another Husky or a Mal. It's going to be a tough decision when the time comes.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

rivals posted:

I want a dog from Margo SO badly.

Oh, I know!! She does SUCH a good job pairing up studs & dams, that the puppies always end up looking more fantastic than their parents, & she's a stickler for great temperament, too. It's not just talk, you can see it in her bonitation scores. Genetically sound, and raised right. :) I'd probably for sure get a dog from her, but I'm concerned about the genetics of her dogs being too close to other dogs in the US since I want to breed down the line. Since the dogs in her kennel are so far reaching as far as offspring are concerned, it's possible to create a bottle neck. But, it all depends on the studs she picks and whether their genetics are enough of a branch out to make it worth it. I'm not going to lie and say I have all this pedigree knowledge when it comes to this stuff, it's just what I've glanced at and noticed. :) I asked Marcy, and she already told me that she'd help me look for a good litter whenever we do end up in a position to get a dog, since she's much more "up" on the genetics we have in this country already & all that good stuff. Especially considering how many dogs she herself owns! haha

BTW, that puppy in that video? He has a brother that still needs a home... :3: I'd post a link, but apparently both wolfdog.org and Margo's site are down at the moment. :argh:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

:haw: A friend just linked me to this. It's an interactive map from PBS about ancient breeds! Nothing we haven't already heard about, but it's fun. :3:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes/dogs-that-changed-the-world/interactive-map-discover-ancient-breeds/1282/

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

That's really neat! Thanks for posting it. :)

riht
Dec 13, 2004

i knew u were trouble when u tossed int
After months of consideration and waiting, we finally brought home our husky puppy Beignet (we call him Ben for short). He's been with us for four days now and seems to be adjusting well. He's very friendly and laid back; he'll approach anyone without fear and will allow himself to be touched and petted all over.

So far he's not a huge fan of other barky dogs in the neighbors' yards, but hopefully that'll be curbed when he's old enough to get the rest of his shots and meet some new friends. Also, he just tends to go nuts when we try to take him on the leash in the yard, but he's gotten a little better about it. Surprisingly, he doesn't seem to like to spend much time in the yard, but I think that's also in part to the crazy high temperatures around here lately.

His favorite spot, in front of the fan keeping cool:

Eating a tasty chicken dinner:

Combining two of his favorite activities.. putting his paws in/on his water dish and sleeping:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

I shall not pass (without Nikita following me upstairs).

^ Reminds me of when she was just a little furry butterball. If only they didn't come equipped with little needle-teeth!

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 27, 2011

• Locked thread