Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Prorat posted:

How do i make the URL search bar come up in steam? I cant find my steam ID, all the ways the steam calculator says do not work. Google is all lies too.

edit: only way to get it to work was with the custom url which took 15 minutes yay
View -> Settings -> Interface and it's the second checkbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Along with the above posts and suggestion in chatrooms, I'm going to play and beat Batman: Arkham Asylum first!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Waffleopolis posted:

Along with the above posts and suggestion in chatrooms, I'm going to play and beat Batman: Arkham Asylum first!

I played and beat the game for the first time last month and absolutely loved it. I played it to the exclusion of everything else (a rarity for me, I like jumping back and forth) and it's currently the first and only game I got all the achievements for.

I played it on hard first time through and while some areas are tougher than others (loving Poison Ivy, man) it really makes you feel like a badass when you wade into a group of 12 thugs and pull off a flawless 50 hit combo.

KingCute
Dec 5, 2010

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

They're fun point-and-click adventures that are really well voice acted and have lots of great dialogue and banter, but there is some range in quality between the seasons and episodes.

They get better with each season. Season 1 reuses a lot of locations, voice acting and sight gags, season 2 starts to mix it up a lot more, and in the last season they just go nuts. Everything either gets completely overhauled or you end up with brand-new locations, like The Tomb of Sammun-Mak (episode 2 in the last season), which is easily one of the best episodes.

Each episode will only take you about 4 hours, you can stretch it to 5-6 if you play slowly and check out everything. My impulse in these games is always to try the obviously wrong solutions to puzzles first, just to get all the responses and dialogue.
Well, that just sounds like a joyous experience. Certainly better than the Back to the Future episodes. I got them just as a fan, really. And the first episode was pretty short, but I think I'll still enjoy it. Glad to hear those Sam and Max episodes are more than four hours. Thanks!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I'm marking Alpha Prime off as "beaten" because gently caress that game. Besides being ridiculously hard and hilariously lovely in the most boring way possible it's now started straight up crashing on me. And no this isn't just some CTD, this motherfucker resets my drat computer.

So even with rampant cheating now I'll never know the secret of Glomar's Heart. :qq:

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Well I just finished KotOR, after 32 hours. I also managed to beat Jolly Rover during the Steam sale. Yay! Now I think I'm going to knock out some shorter games. Going to start on Shatter and World of Goo, I think. Anyone have a time estimate on how long those should take to beat?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Depends on how much time you're putting into them. You can blaze through all the missions in a few hours but if you're trying to max out your score they'll last longer.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

americanzero4128 posted:

Well I just finished KotOR, after 32 hours. I also managed to beat Jolly Rover during the Steam sale. Yay! Now I think I'm going to knock out some shorter games. Going to start on Shatter and World of Goo, I think. Anyone have a time estimate on how long those should take to beat?

World of Goo will take you ~20 hours to go through every level getting OCD. Usually by the end of a game I'm bored of the gimmick but WoG's gimmick left me wanting more. :(

e: except one level that relied on luck where I was wishing death upon the creators family

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Waffleopolis posted:

Here's a list of games I want to get accomplished:

Batman: Arkham Asylum
Darksiders
Dead Space
Half-Life series (I'll play through the whole series before moving on)
Just Cause 2
Oddworld series (Life Half-Life, I'll play the whole thing)
Penny-Arcade games episodes 1 & 2
Penumbra: Overture
Puzzle Agent
Sam & Max full Season 1
Serious Sam HD: First and Second Encounter
Strong Bad season 1

Heh, you're never gonna beat all of that but maybe you have infinite free time on your hands, I don't know...I mean Half-Life series? Does this mean Half-Life 1, Half-Life Opposing Force, Half-Life Blue Shift, Half-Life 2, Episode 1, Episode 2? And then you're left with major hour-eating games like Darksiders, Dead Space, Just Cause 2 etc. etc. See you in a few months I guess, I just hope you won't buy anything new during that time too.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Palpek posted:

Heh, you're never gonna beat all of that but maybe you have infinite free time on your hands, I don't know...I mean Half-Life series? Does this mean Half-Life 1, Half-Life Opposing Force, Half-Life Blue Shift, Half-Life 2, Episode 1, Episode 2? And then you're left with major hour-eating games like Darksiders, Dead Space, Just Cause 2 etc. etc. See you in a few months I guess, I just hope you won't buy anything new during that time too.

I'm never going to post my list. It's ridiculous. And yes, it contains Bad Rats :(

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Palpek posted:

Darksiders isn't too long, unless he's trying for every secret pickup and/or replaying it on a higher difficulty later. I streamed an entire run from start to finish and it took me a bit under 13 hours with me blundering through.

fake edit: then again 13 hours might be considered pretty long for a modern game! :suicide:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Tsurupettan posted:

Darksiders isn't too long, unless he's trying for every secret pickup and/or replaying it on a higher difficulty later. I streamed an entire run from start to finish and it took me a bit under 13 hours with me blundering through.

fake edit: then again 13 hours might be considered pretty long for a modern game! :suicide:

Yeah, the guy wants to finish 20 games + 2 Telltale seasons but hey I better point out that Darksiders is only 13 hours long - this clearly changes everything. Goon OCD is loving killing me.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Just finished the first Puzzle Agent. What a really entertaining little game.

UtahIsNotAState
Jun 27, 2006

Dick will make you slap somebody!
I was determined to start my backlog, and i've been hardcore playing batman arkham asylum.

I'm at the mini boss fight before the final boss groups of thugs and the two titans

I'm just so exhausted with this game. I've done this kind of fight at least twice in the game before, but god drat am I burnt out on the game. I want to take a break, but I know if I take a break, I won't came back to it for a month and it'll be too hard, and ill say "gently caress it"

Beating games gets more rewarding as you slowly eat away through your backlog, right?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I've got RA3 and DOW2 Retribution in my backlog. Would anyone be interested in doing one of those coop?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Tsurupettan posted:

I've got RA3 and DOW2 Retribution in my backlog. Would anyone be interested in doing one of those coop?

I have both and currently am playing the occasional RA3 mission in co-op with whatever goon's available, so pester me about it next time you see me in Steam.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
I'm now 2/3 of the way done with the first Descent. Is it just me, or did the game get really tough around levels 10-12 or so? I lost at least one or two lives on each of those levels, but now I'm able to survive with little problem and have something like 12 extra lives/ships now. Is there a real spike in difficulty during those levels, or am I just getting better?

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

UtahIsNotAState posted:

I was determined to start my backlog, and i've been hardcore playing batman arkham asylum.

I'm at the mini boss fight before the final boss groups of thugs and the two titans

I'm just so exhausted with this game. I've done this kind of fight at least twice in the game before, but god drat am I burnt out on the game. I want to take a break, but I know if I take a break, I won't came back to it for a month and it'll be too hard, and ill say "gently caress it"

Beating games gets more rewarding as you slowly eat away through your backlog, right?

I got burnt out around halfway through then again towards the end. As soon as I did beat the game I actually wanted more and felt like going for all the riddles.

So yeah, you will feel rewarded when you beat a game from your backlog.

UtahIsNotAState
Jun 27, 2006

Dick will make you slap somebody!

Mr Right posted:

I got burnt out around halfway through then again towards the end. As soon as I did beat the game I actually wanted more and felt like going for all the riddles.

So yeah, you will feel rewarded when you beat a game from your backlog.

Yay! I finally beat it. This does feel rewarding. Now to choose another game.....

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Just beat Eversion. That sure was...a waste of money.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yodzilla posted:

Just finished the first Puzzle Agent. What a really entertaining little game.

Just so you know - Puzzle Agent 2 wraps up the whole story so it's actually worth getting as it's not a beginning of a bigger series or a Telltale season. Two games and it's done. Finished the second one in something like 3,5 hours.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Now that I've finished grad school, I can finally go back to playing games :v: On Steam, I only have the Orange Box games and Torchlight, so it doesn't look too daunting.

On the other hand, I have the following left for 360:
Modern Warfare 2
Bad Company 2
Mass Effect 1 and 2
Fallout 3
Gears of War 1 and 2
Splinter Cell Conviction
GTA IV
Borderlands
Serious Sam TFE and TSE
Ninja Gaiden 2
Left 4 Dead

I've recently beaten Halo 3, Reach, CoD4, Bioshock 2 and Rez. I'm hosed, aren't I?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I think I just had a Steam Sale MomentTM: I looked at my 'Games' category and was all "Huh? I bought Prototype? Where did all these Sam & Maxes come from? And what the hell is Singularity?"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Amppelix posted:

And what the hell is Singularity?
A good game. You should play it :colbert:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
You know what's great for backlog completion?

A really good rogue-like with randomly created-dungeons, lots of skills/class combos, and enough content to spend hours on just the first floor.

Dredmor...! :argh:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

surrender posted:

Modern Warfare 2
Bad Company 2
Mass Effect 1 and 2
Fallout 3
Gears of War 1 and 2
Splinter Cell Conviction
GTA IV
Borderlands
Serious Sam TFE and TSE
Ninja Gaiden 2
Left 4 Dead

It's not that bad. You can knock out Bad Company 2 and Modern Warfare 2 pretty quickly - they're rather short. But if you go into multiplayer of those it's a completely different story as the unlocks take much time for a beginner and you'll find yourself coming back to them over and over again instead of beating other games. With this backlog I'd avoid that and just finish singleplayer of those for now.

Left 4 Dead is just a co-op hopping game, so I wouldn't even count it.

The next in line would be Conviction, Gears of War and Serious Sams - they're all short compared to your other titles and have no replay value. If you're lucky (:v: first world problems :v:) you won't even enjoy Serious Sam that much as it's not for everybody so you'll drop it.

After that you're left with the big ones. That's going to take some time but at least half of your backlog should be taken care of until then.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Well I am playing Alpha Protocol and just finished Saudi. Saudi wasn't even too bad and I hear this game just gets better so that's exciting. How many hours is it to finish?

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Red_Fred posted:

Well I am playing Alpha Protocol and just finished Saudi. Saudi wasn't even too bad and I hear this game just gets better so that's exciting. How many hours is it to finish?

Howlongtobeat.com puts it at around 14 hours.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Palpek posted:

Just so you know - Puzzle Agent 2 wraps up the whole story so it's actually worth getting as it's not a beginning of a bigger series or a Telltale season. Two games and it's done. Finished the second one in something like 3,5 hours.

Yeah I bought PA2 during the sale since it came with a copy of the first one. Looking forward to playing through it and really hope they keep making these, they're a nice change of pace from normal adventure games.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

From Earth posted:

Howlongtobeat.com puts it at around 14 hours.

For a single playthrough. You need to do SEVERAL in AP because the variations you get for different playstyles in the plot and reactions are tremendous.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Red_Fred posted:

It took me about 15 hours my first time; you could probably do it in 10 by abusing stealth and chain shot rather than trying to be "properly" sneaky like I was.

Of course, that's just for one playthrough; I've spent closer to 50 hours on it than 15, and am planning two more playthroughs once I've knocked a few more games off my backlog.

Steam actually says I've spent 80 hours but I'm pretty sure it's counting that time the AP launcher ended up running in the background for over a day without me noticing.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
Post-Steam sale I decided I'd better have a good old go at the backlog. I've beaten both Encounters of the first Serious Sam game and I've gotten started on Mirror's Edge. I felt fine while I was playing it but when I stopped I actually did feel a bit motion sick, which was weird.

Here's what I have on the go at the moment:

I'm very bad at making my updates fit into the signature.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Palpek posted:

Serious Sams - they're all short

What the hell are you talking about. I've been replaying Second Encounter HD and the levels are stupid long. I was in co-op on Saturday and managed to beat four levels - in 4.5 hours.

It's fun as hell, though. Just don't go for all the secrets, some of them are hidden stupidly well.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah I'm playing First Encounter HD right now and honestly the levels start to drag a good bit.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
http://backloggery.com/vrikkgwj/sig.gif

Do your fancy graphic-making magic! (I update it weekly.)

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Well, I just beat Shatter. Another (short) game off the backog! I just beat story mode, not everything, and I didn't get all the achievements (some seem like they're there just as a grind). I don't see myself playing it again, mainly because I have a ton of other games, and if I want to play a game for just a few minutes, I've always got Audiosurf or Beat Hazard.

americanzero4128 fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 15, 2011

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
A surprisingly fun game is Shadowgrounds, which was part of the Frozenbyte bundle, if you got it for Trine or some such. I had played its sequel, Shadowgrounds Survivor first, a long time ago, and got a few levels in before I put it down. Not for any reason, but they had multiple characters that had assigned weapons.

This game, with its nicely-sized levels that reward exploring, and allow for multiple weapons on the same player character, got me to blast through six levels without stopping. I'm surprised I even put in that much in one sit down. I usually have more videogame ADD than that :downs:

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Just finished the first Descent on easiest, and even then it was kicking my rear end towards the end (there were some areas that were complete bullshit). So that's two games down this week. Feeling good about it.

Despite the recommendations in this thread, I've started the first Just Cause, to see what it was like (and since I don't have the second one downloaded & installed yet), and it seems pretty fun so far. I think I'll go ahead and play it through, but just stick to the main missions so that I can finish as soon as possible and move on to the second.

For now, though, I think I'll burn off some of the stress from those last few levels by playing some Sims 3.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Eh! Frank posted:

Despite the recommendations in this thread, I've started the first Just Cause, to see what it was like (and since I don't have the second one downloaded & installed yet), and it seems pretty fun so far. I think I'll go ahead and play it through, but just stick to the main missions so that I can finish as soon as possible and move on to the second.
I actually thought JC1 was awesome at the time, there wasn't a whole lot to do but getting around was really fun. Its just that JC2 adds a shitload of content and makes the grappling hook even cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingCute
Dec 5, 2010

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness.
Just finished the second episode for Back to the Future and saw the preview for the next episode. My reaction: "Oh god...this just got twisted...hell yes."
And I'm about two side quests away from starting the last story mission for Mass Effect. I am happy to say I'm getting things done.