Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

cendien posted:

Out of curiosity, is this because the legal market in Austin is next to nonexistent? Or hiring, at least.

Very small and very crowded. A major law school is here and everyone loves this city. And every attorney knows every attorney.

Fun fact #1: A local probate firm put out a job posting for an entry level position. They received 375 applications.

Fun fact #2: the local battered women's shelter had a large number of Harvard law grads interviewing for a staff position, in addition to everyone else. Some of those grads said it was because they couldn't get a job elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Vander posted:

This one bothers me the most. I also love its brother: "I was talking to this partner at a law firm and he said that what the cops did totally violated my rights!"

Sure buddy. Since you didn't pay for your PD, I'm sure you have plenty of money to afford a consult with a partner in a law firm now.

Either the partner hasn't actually practiced or studied crim law in 15 years, or he'll say anything to get the retainer and then get the guy to plead because "this judge has it in for me." (But if you have $15,000 he will absolutely win the case on appeal)

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

cendien posted:

Out of curiosity, is this because the legal market in Austin is next to nonexistent? Or hiring, at least.

Also the AG has been essentially on hiring freeze for a couple years, though rumor has it that might change with the end of this leg session.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

joat mon posted:

Either the partner hasn't actually practiced or studied crim law in 15 years, or he'll say anything to get the retainer and then get the guy to plead because "this judge has it in for me." (But if you have $15,000 he will absolutely win the case on appeal)
Or the guy practices in a state where civil rights still exist. (I think Minnesota and Maine still have not abolished civil rights, but they're endangered in MN)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

nm posted:

To be fair a lot of them whine and rarely about their actual rights.
Most PDs, including the most dedicated, will bitch and moan about whiny clients:
"Could I get a better deal if I got a real lawyer?"

Or the flipside of it, where you do well and get "you're just as good as a real lawyer"

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

nm posted:

Or the guy practices in a state where civil rights still exist. (I think Minnesota and Maine still have not abolished civil rights, but they're endangered in MN)

Washington state, where our supreme court says that our version of the 4th Amd is stricter than the federal one, but "the analysis is the same as the federal constitution" anyway.

Chriswizard
May 6, 2007
This came into my inbox and thought people in this thread might be interested in it, since it's not something that would typically come up in a lawyer job search. Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this- if not I'll edit it out.

The Berkeley Center for Law & Technology is looking for a Digital Library Fellow:

Qualifications: A successful candidate for the Digital Library Fellowship will hold a J.D. and will have experience with copyright issues, preferably those facing digital libraries, as well as demonstrated excellent research and writing skills, organizational and planning skills, substantive knowledge of both U.S. and international copyright law, and proven knowledge of and commitment to open access principles.

Salary range is $62,532 – $86,316 depending on experience. The University offers excellent health and retirement benefits which can be viewed online at http://atyourservice.ucop.edu/.

More information about the position at http://www.law.berkeley.edu/bclt.htm

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

Or the flipside of it, where you do well and get "you're just as good as a real lawyer"

"When you get out and have your own practice, I'm going to hire you!"
(Because he could not conceive that a good lawyer would remain with the PD)

"It's OK, Mama, he's a public defender AND a lawyer!"

But there's always more of:

"Man, how come you ain't working for me?!"
(After getting the trafficking amount of drugs (life without) that fell out of his rear end suppressed, but failing to get the possession amount (4-20) in his pocket suppressed)

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

entris posted:

I've been told twice by my future boss that I'm getting an offer, but that they are waiting on the numbers to be signed off by the head of the department. I am moving to a new city to take this job, and my wife and I are looking for apartments in the new city. Unfortunately, we can't get an apartment without proof of employment, so I'm stuck in this weird limbo where I'm hoping the offer letter comes any day (which it might) and I am pushing ahead looking at apartments.

I hate to be a downer, even though that is the purpose of this thread, but: until you have actually signed employment papers you don't really have a job. I had an offer--the place I was going after law school--yanked two weeks before graduation. I also had a half-dozen promises of an offer as soon as the employer was ready to hire. None of them ever came through.

As uncomfortable as it may be to put pressure on a potential employer, you really need to sign employment paperwork before you make your move. The worst thing is if--or when--you move and then, shock, the job isn't there.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

joat mon posted:

(After getting the trafficking amount of drugs (life without) that fell out of his rear end suppressed, but failing to get the possession amount (4-20) in his pocket suppressed)

Many criminal defendants (frequently rightly) perceive their court-appointed counsel as just another part of the system that wants to put them in jail. It doesn't mean they deserve half-assed representation or deserve to be represented by a guy who not only hates his job as a PD, but apparently hates the whole field of criminal law and is dismayed that it is "stressful."

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

joat mon posted:

One of the 1/2 contract public defenders where I'm at had a guy come into his office to try to hire him as private counsel; he had to turn the guy down but then when he showed up at the main PD office and found he was assigned that guy's case. I think he swapped cases with someone else to save the guy some embarrassment.

J Miracle posted:

Do your clients a favor and quit. The last thing anyone needs when they encounter the U.S. criminal justice system is a checked-out miserable former DA for a lawyer, who thinks that people asserting rights are "whining."

If I was going to vent after a tough day I probably should have been much more specific. As a prosecutor, if all the Defense attorneys did was file meritorious motions I'd have loved it. While I was there there was a certain amount of cattiness and hard feelings between the prosecutors and the local defense bar as a result of the elections. I think that may have colored my perspective.

As for the miserableness the job is very stressful and the learning curve is astronomical even after a year of doing it; I live in perpetual fear of not catching some meritorious claim or not doing some neat strategy or not being as good of a negotiator as some of the better neighborhood defense attorneys. It's frustrating as poo poo knowing that I can scrape and scrape and scrape for a good plea deal and it seems like I cannot get as good of an offer as some of the more experienced attorneys that who will just phone up the prosecutor, "Heeyy Bob, how about a 1-2, eh?"..."Oh okay!". It's probably their facts, sure, but I can't help getting that impression.

I always want to do the best job possible, but the thing about being an attorney it is hard to be certain of that and any mistake you make hurts someone else.

Also anyone else getting blowback from the Casey Anthony acquittal? If only I was that guy. :(

Torpor fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 13, 2011

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK
Edit: eep! double post.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Torpor posted:

One of the 1/2 contract public defenders where I'm at had a guy come into his office to try to hire him as private counsel; he had to turn the guy down but then when he showed up at the main PD office and found he was assigned that guy's case. I think he swapped cases with someone else to save the guy some embarrassment.

I don't understand this. The guy tried to hire the PD with his own money, and while I'm not a PD that seems like it'd be a pretty strong endorsement of his skills and pretty flattering. Why would he swap the case with someone else? How's that embarrassing to anyone? Seems like it would just be a pretty funny and interesting coincidence.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Chriswizard posted:

This came into my inbox and thought people in this thread might be interested in it, since it's not something that would typically come up in a lawyer job search. Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this- if not I'll edit it out.

The Berkeley Center for Law & Technology is looking for a Digital Library Fellow:

Qualifications: A successful candidate for the Digital Library Fellowship will hold a J.D. and will have experience with copyright issues, preferably those facing digital libraries, as well as demonstrated excellent research and writing skills, organizational and planning skills, substantive knowledge of both U.S. and international copyright law, and proven knowledge of and commitment to open access principles.

Salary range is $62,532 – $86,316 depending on experience. The University offers excellent health and retirement benefits which can be viewed online at http://atyourservice.ucop.edu/.

More information about the position at http://www.law.berkeley.edu/bclt.htm

Want to add that if anyone is serious about pursuing this I'm happy to look into it more, having some access to these people and all.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

prussian advisor posted:

I don't understand this. The guy tried to hire the PD with his own money, and while I'm not a PD that seems like it'd be a pretty strong endorsement of his skills and pretty flattering. Why would he swap the case with someone else? How's that embarrassing to anyone? Seems like it would just be a pretty funny and interesting coincidence.

"Contract public defender" almost certainly either refers to a private attorney who takes on overflow work, or a private attorney registered with the PD conflict registry. Either way, they're private attorneys and take oodles of cases privately for oodles of money. They just also take PD cases. They probably talked business, then the defendant decided he couldn't afford a private attorney and applied PD. The PD system randomly assigned it to the same attorney. Thus the switch.

Also you guys' PD offices suck. I really like our PDs and think they're neat and we have a close working relationship (so far).

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

prussian advisor posted:

He almost unwittingly hired the PD as an attorney. A lot of people here apply for a public defender while they're at a court house and then go home and talk and summon up funds to hire a private attorney. Some people also don't tell the whole truth on their financial affidavits.

Torpor fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 13, 2011

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

prussian advisor posted:

Perhaps it is because the client didn't have enough money.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Torpor posted:

It's frustrating as poo poo knowing that I can scrape and scrape and scrape for a good plea deal and it seems like I cannot get as good of an offer as some of the more experienced attorneys that who will just phone up the prosecutor, "Heeyy Bob, how about a 1-2, eh?"..."Oh okay!".
This is what PDs are supposed to be good at. I am a drat good shmoozer, and the DA knowns I can back up my talk. I get amazing offers.
This is only going to work in some places, some places the DA is a bunch of jackasses, but it is useful as it is one of our greatest advantages is that everyone knows us.

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

nm posted:

This is only going to work in some places, some places the DA is a bunch of jackasses, but it is useful as it is one of our greatest advantages is that everyone knows us.

Agreed. Towards the end of my year as a PD I got a couple dismissals I don't think I otherwise would have gotten.

Having a long history helps. If the DA is offering something ridiculous I can say why are you treating him different than Mr. Smith, Mr. Johnson, and Mr. Jones? They can't BS me. And when there's no BS, you start talking about what's provable at trial and what a jury will buy or not buy as opposed to how objectively bad your client's conduct was.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Also you start to get a feel for which prosecutors are lazy whores slash are afraid of trials and will give really good deals because they don't like trials

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Stunt Rock posted:

Is this a paying gig? Hrmmmmm. Also add me to the list of people waiting for a call back on a job "this week"

The last time I posted a real LAWJOB, nobody was interested. It is weird that people are tripping over themselves to go to Barrow, Alaska, but nobody wants to move to Cleveland, Ohio.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Well it is Ohio.

(Still better than Alaska.)

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Solomon Grundy posted:

The last time I posted a real LAWJOB, nobody was interested. It is weird that people are tripping over themselves to go to Barrow, Alaska, but nobody wants to move to Cleveland, Ohio.

Still not one person in this entire thread has sent me their resume when I've offered a couple times to give them to my dad who runs a small labor law firm in a really convenient location in downtown DC. It makes me wonder how hard people are actually trying here. He's not hiring now though.

It pisses me off how so many future lawyers have dreams about glamorous do-gooder jobs that don't actually exist, but when there's an actual legal field that has jobs and doesn't pay badly and where you can feel good about helping workers and their families get pensions and other good things, nobody gives it a second glance.

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

hypocrite lecteur posted:

Also you start to get a feel for which prosecutors are lazy whores slash are afraid of trials and will give really good deals because they don't like trials
I think it's ridiculous that someone can get a better deal pleading guilty the day of the trial rather than entering an early guilty plea, despite the fact that an early guilty plea should be a mitigating factor (in Canada anyways).

Maybe it has to do with the fact that a prosecutor actually looks closely at the disclosure as opposed to glancing aka look at the charge, the damage/injury, and the accused's criminal record.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Torpor posted:

I live in perpetual fear of not catching some meritorious claim or not doing some neat strategy or not being as good of a negotiator as some of the better neighborhood defense attorneys.

I always want to do the best job possible, but the thing about being an attorney it is hard to be certain of that and any mistake you make hurts someone else.

You've got to work hard on this right now. It is (in my opinion) a very dangerous mindset that is easy to fall into when practicing law, and it can have bad effects on your life. I have similar issues after practicing for 10 plus years, and it can reach a point where it can eat up your life. You don't want to have your non-office hours time be spent thinking about what you might have hosed up, whether you missed something in a contract. You don't want to wake up at three in the morning wondering whether that indemnification provision you drafted really catches all of the possibilities.

If you can't correct it, I would actually pretty strongly advise finding a different line of work, because otherwise your life, not just your working life, can become pretty miserable.

MoFauxHawk posted:

Still not one person in this entire thread has sent me their resume when I've offered a couple times to give them to my dad who runs a small labor law firm in a really convenient location in downtown DC. It makes me wonder how hard people are actually trying here. He's not hiring now though.

I'll go one better. I'm a partner in a large Twin Cities law firm. I'm listed in the alumni contacts directory, and have said it is okay to contact me. In my ten plus years of practice (including five plus as a partner), I've been contacted by exactly one student from my law school.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Penguins Like Pies posted:

I think it's ridiculous that someone can get a better deal pleading guilty the day of the trial rather than entering an early guilty plea, despite the fact that an early guilty plea should be a mitigating factor (in Canada anyways).

Maybe it has to do with the fact that a prosecutor actually looks closely at the disclosure as opposed to glancing aka look at the charge, the damage/injury, and the accused's criminal record.

It's also the fact that when you're doing your first appearance, receiving disclosure, setting down a date, there's basically no upside to the prosecutor to stay a charge. Might as well set a date and let someone deal with it, even if there's no reasonable prospect of conviction

you get the deals monday morning of trial week when the crowns assigned realize there's no earthly way they're getting through all the poo poo set down for trial and start culling the herd

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

hypocrite lecteur posted:

It's also the fact that when you're doing your first appearance, receiving disclosure, setting down a date, there's basically no upside to the prosecutor to stay a charge. Might as well set a date and let someone deal with it, even if there's no reasonable prospect of conviction

you get the deals monday morning of trial week when the crowns assigned realize there's no earthly way they're getting through all the poo poo set down for trial and start culling the herd

Where I'm at, we have a resolution process to expedite things. Basically, you fill out a sheet while the file is still in docket and wait for an offer. The letter usually says it's the lowest they can go. Complete bull. Where I worked last summer, it was frequent occurrence for our offers to go from 18 months probation to community services hours with no criminal record or peace bonds once the matter is set for trial.

What's the point in having a resolution unit to speed things up if the Crowns don't actually take a careful look at the file? We've had Crowns give illegal sentences or jail for first time offenders who stole cosmetics. Jail should be reserved for those who deserve it, not because some 18 year old girl decided to steal a $20 lipstick from Sephora.

/rant

nm
Jan 28, 2008

SlyFrog posted:

I'll go one better. I'm a partner in a large Twin Cities law firm. I'm listed in the alumni contacts directory, and have said it is okay to contact me. In my ten plus years of practice (including five plus as a partner), I've been contacted by exactly one student from my law school.
As a UMN alum (if you're UMN), I will say that no one has ever pointed anyone to this list. I didn't even really knew it existed.
That said, if you're hiring, I'm admitted in MN and want to move back to the TC. ;)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Torpor posted:

I live in perpetual fear of not catching some meritorious claim or not doing some neat strategy or not being as good of a negotiator as some of the better neighborhood defense attorneys.

SlyFrog posted:

You've got to work hard on this right now. It is (in my opinion) a very dangerous mindset that is easy to fall into when practicing law, and it can have bad effects on your life. I have similar issues after practicing for 10 plus years, and it can reach a point where it can eat up your life. You don't want to have your non-office hours time be spent thinking about what you might have hosed up, whether you missed something in a contract. You don't want to wake up at three in the morning wondering whether that indemnification provision you drafted really catches all of the possibilities.

If you can't correct it, I would actually pretty strongly advise finding a different line of work, because otherwise your life, not just your working life, can become pretty miserable.

I think that's exactly how you should feel if you've been working as an attorney for all of 14 months and working as a PD for 8 or 9 of those months. If Topor didn't feel like that, then he/she might actually merit some of J Miracle's invective.
If that fear paralyzes you and makes you avoidant, then you need to find a mentor who will push you as well as teach you or a different line of work. If you don't care enough about your clients to feel that fear, then please find a different line of work - your clients deserve better.

So long as that fear of failing your client keeps you moving forward and working, researching, investigating, and asking advice (do this a lot) you'll be OK. It took me about two years as a PD to lose the constant 'oh crap, what am I missing' feeling. The fear will stop being perpetual, but it won't go away. I've got oral argument on my first capital appeal coming up in a couple of months. There are a lot of motivators, but fear of what happens if I fail is definitely one of them. That fear should never go away, whether you've been practicing 1 or 17 or 34 years.

On the other hand, balancing that fearsome responsibility to your client and your responsibilities to yourself and your loved ones is hard. Sly Frog's warning is absolutely real. I shorted my family a great deal, and it's only been in the past few years that I've been able to work out a healthier balance.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

http://balkin.blogspot.com/2011/07/how-law-schools-are-helping-elite.html

quote:

In 2010, tuition at Yale was $48,340, plus $18,900 in estimated living expenses. About 45 percent of the incoming students paid full price. In rounded terms, nearly 25 percent received a remission of half or more of tuition, 29 percent received less than half, and no student received a full tuition scholarship. At Harvard a bit more than half of the entering JD students paid full price; tuition was $45,026, with estimated living expenses of $22,874. At Stanford half of the students paid full price; tuition was $44,121, plus $23,739 in living expenses. Harvard and Stanford handed out a number of full scholarships, but otherwise their scholarship numbers were in the same range as Yale’s. The top schools, with some variation, distribute scholarships roughly along these lines: 50 percent of the students pay full fare, 25 percent get a discount of half or more, 25 percent get less than half off, and a handful of students enjoy full scholarships.

The key dynamic involves the students who are made to pay full fare. Typically, they will be in the bottom half of the LSAT/GPA profile of students admitted to the JD class at any particular school. The highest ranked schools have students with the highest LSAT/GPA combination—with LSAT numbers steadily falling as you travel down the ranking. For example, an applicant with a 171 LSAT would have placed in the bottom 25 percent of the class at Yale, but in the top 25 percent at Michigan, Penn, Berkeley, Virginia, Duke, and so on.

An applicant in this position would be confronted with a tough choice: go to Yale and pay full price ($50,750 this year), or attend a lower down school, say Duke ($44,722), with a tuition discount of half or more; Yale at $150,000 tuition over three years or Duke at $70,000. When you add in projected expenses, the final price would be $207,000 for a degree at Yale versus $118,000 for a degree at Duke. (The numbers work out similarly for a choice between Harvard and Duke.)

Applicants from wealthy families who can help financially wouldn’t hesitate to go to Yale. But applicants from middle class families—school teachers, middle management, small business owners, solo practitioner lawyers (parents who exhausted their resources helping their child make it through college without debt)—will find the Duke offer hard to turn down. Evidence of this wealth effect can perhaps be seen in the fact that, although its tuition is among the highest in the country (and the school rarely awards full scholarships), only 73 percent of Yale 2011 graduates had law school debt—among the lowest in the country. (At most schools 80 to 95 of graduates have law school debt.)

This might not seem like a major concern because a student who goes to Duke will have an outstanding career anyway. That is correct as far as it goes, but there is more. Law is a highly elitist, credential-oriented profession. Harvard and Yale degrees open more doors, more easily than do Duke degrees. Consider that in the history of the United States Supreme Court, seventeen Justices attended Harvard, ten attended Yale, and seven attended Columbia; no other law school counts more than three; Duke has none. It is easier to land elite clerkships, choice positions in the Department of Justice, and a law professor job out of Harvard and Yale. Although a Duke degree is an elite credential that opens many doors, especially to corporate law jobs, the difference in career opportunities compared to Harvard and Yale is not negligible.

Imagining a choice between Yale and Duke is misleading because the downside does not seem so bad. But the phenomenon goes much further. Versions of this same choice play out all the way down the law school hierarchy, often with more dramatic differences at stake. Applicants at the bottom LSAT quartile point (166-168) who would be required to pay full price at Michigan, Penn, Cornell, Duke and Northwestern, would get substantial tuition reductions to attend any school ranked 20th or lower. Pay full tuition at Vanderbilt or attend Iowa, North Carolina, Wisconsin, Emory, etc., at a big discount? Frequently the pertinent choice will be between local alternatives. An applicant who scores 165 on the LSAT would be in the bottom 25 percent of the class at UCLA but in the upper 25 percent at Loyola Marymount. Pay full tuition at the former or get at least half-off at the latter? In all of these examples, the disparity in career opportunities entailed in the choice is considerable.

Applicants from families with money would attend the better school without hesitation. Applicants from middle class families will be faced with the agonizing decision of whether taking on mountainous debt will be worth the advantages gained from going to the higher school. Some will make the leap to the higher school. When making this choice, they are placing a bet that they will land a corporate law upon graduation to pay off the loan (regardless of whether that is a job they desire). Some applicants with modest means will, reluctantly, select the lower school at a discount. They can, of course, go on to have stellar legal careers anyway, but the higher alternative would have laid an easier path with better opportunities.

In this manner, the tuition-scholarship relationship to the higher-versus-lower-school choice constitutes an allocation matrix that uniformly funnels wealthy applicants to the higher school, securing the attendant advantages, while people with less financial means divide between higher and lower. Multiply this out by tens of thousands of like decisions each year and the effect is large. The pricing structure of law schools thereby helps the wealthy in America further consolidate their grip on elite legal positions.

Let me end by getting more concrete, and personal, for any law professors who might be reading this. A bunch of colleagues of my generation and older are from middle class backgrounds. Their smarts got them into elite law schools, which they easily financed with loans that weren’t too scary in size. Their elite degrees, in turn, opened the door to the legal academy: the substantial bulk of law professors today are graduates from top 10 law schools.

Ask yourself this: If you were an applicant today facing this choice, what would you decide. Think about it. You might decide to go to Harvard or Yale anyway—but that comes with at least $150,000 in debt (assuming you keep it down by working at law firms during the summers). A stint at a corporate law firm after graduation would lie ahead. If you couldn’t bear to endure several years in a firm, the loan payments that remain will cut a large slice out of your professor pay for three decades.

You might decide, on the other hand, to pass on Harvard and Yale, and instead attend an excellent law school like Northwestern, Georgetown, UCLA, or Vanderbilt, with a substantial scholarship. That would be prudent, leaving you with a much lower debt. Unfortunately, your chance of ever becoming a law professor would greatly diminish.

As for me, knowing my conservative personal finances, I’m not sure I would attend law school at all.

A generation ago, when we were coming up, a middle class aspirant to a legal career would not be put to this choice. But we impose it on current and future generations. And it seems that an inevitable consequence of this—as a greater proportion of middle class folks are funneled downward in the law school hierarchy—is that more and more elite legal positions will be in the hands of the wealthy.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004
yeah I'm not buying that people are turning down Yale for Duke. Wealthy elite attend HYS because they've been groomed for it.

also the author doesn't seem familiar with HYS need-based aid. My parents are employed in two of the jobs the author lists as middle-class and HYS need-based aid ended up giving me more money than Duke or any other T14 except maybe one did, and that's still only a difference of a few thousand dollars.

The author also talks about the necessity of working in biglaw if you have HYS debt, but 70%~ of HLS' class ends up doing that anyway. A majority of law school students want to work in biglaw, debt or no.

It could be worse. Law schools could actually care about your undergraduate school. There's a large degree of merit involved in law school admissions, at least, and one's decisions prior to one's undergraduate education isn't too strongly held against them.

The entire premise seems sort of self-defeating when you look at the fact that HYS are the only schools that help students out, scholarship-wise, based on financial need. It would likely be more accurate to compare the non-HYS T15 to T1 and T2 schools, I imagine that might result in a more fruitful point about the domination of the wealthy elite among elite law schools.

topheryan fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 13, 2011

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres
HYS also give pretty good loan repayment assistance, so no one's actually forced into Biglaw.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

nm posted:

As a UMN alum (if you're UMN), I will say that no one has ever pointed anyone to this list. I didn't even really knew it existed.
That said, if you're hiring, I'm admitted in MN and want to move back to the TC. ;)

Nope, Michigan, sorry.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Our good friend Dan Dargon has been ordered to pay $250,000 in fines / restitution to people he scammed with his unlicensed loan originations, loan modifications, and debt settlements http://www.nh.gov/banking/10-004-ford-20110630.pdf

Linguica fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 13, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

SlyFrog posted:

Nope, Michigan, sorry.
My dad is a Michigan alum in the same situation (hiring then managing partner). No one ever called him either.
I think they don't tell students about this poo poo.
Unfortunately the UMN alum network here in CA is pretty weak.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I got my job out of school through those lists. Nobody I talked to was hiring, but one guy I had lunch with (during which time we whined about a lovely professor we shared for an hour) pointed me to a friend of his.

That said, there were probably 200 attorneys on that list and I contacted over half of them, 99% of the time I had the same results as sending resumes out blindly. But that probably has a lot to do with me being an obviously lovely attorney.

As for you guys and your dads who never got contacted, I'm willing to bet there's just not many people in this thread that live in their cities. I know I definitely felt like I was never ever going to leave Chicago after passing the bar, it feels like you're trapped forever.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

diospadre posted:

As for you guys and your dads who never got contacted, I'm willing to bet there's just not many people in this thread that live in their cities. I know I definitely felt like I was never ever going to leave Chicago after passing the bar, it feels like you're trapped forever.

I think I'm the only one who mentioned my dad and I'm in Washington, DC, one of the biggest legal markets and a popular and desirable metropolitan area. It's also a state whose bar you can waive into if you pass in any other state, I think. If people here are willing to move from places like NYC to places like Alaska and Missouri to find jobs, they're willing to move to DC.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Yeah that's true but has anyone actually moved anywhere like that (let's just not count Guam)?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Rationally I know that only 15-20% of bar takers in Texas fail so why am I terrified?

Hold me sweet lawgoons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Roger_Mudd posted:

Rationally I know that only 15-20% of bar takers in Texas fail so why am I terrified?

Hold me sweet lawgoons.

Have you been consistently studying? Have you done at least the majority of BarBri recommended assignments? Then you will be fine!