Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Barrakketh posted:

You know, This is the first summer in 6 years now I'm not wearing combats every morning. The first summer in 6 years I'm not melting and choking on dust out on the prairies or freezing my nuts off in Val (-5 at night in August?). I've got 2 months of beard going strong and another 2 months to go before I have to shave it again.

For the first time ever I flat out refused a call to come in and work a week-end at the armoury. I don't know who was more shocked, my I/C or or myself. A strange mixture of elation and dread over that. It's finally hit me how badly I needed a vacation.

Have a picture from an old friend whose been fighting the floods in Manitoba.

1VP to the rescue

Ahaha good god that's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010
I'm too lazy to upload pics, but we drew all over those sandbags. My favorite was one labelled 'Man vs. Dyke'. We also named the two main Dykes we were working on Ellen and Rosie.

My heart goes out to the dudes in Manitoba who just got called out to deal with that fucker again. I feel your pain.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
We had the the standard green sand-bags for the Richelieu flooding in May. I regret not being able to unleash my inner artist.

Barrakketh fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 4, 2011

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
That sandbag's inside out. Tear it down, rebuild.

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010
(I'm trying this response out, since it's about to become standard from me, so excuse me if the delivery isn't perfect.)

No. You do it.

Also, how's being a proper in-Regiment chimo treating you?

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
I don't report untill next Tuesday, DP1 graduation on thursday.

They made us build an OP on force protection in the pissing rain, then right as we finished found a sandbag on the very bottom layer that was inside out, cut it open ad gave us a half hour to rebuild it. We weren't allowed to talk to each other either. I hate sandbags.

Samu fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 5, 2011

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Speaking of sandbags... Hey MA-Horus, remember the static cling sandbag protector from our Airborne Driver Wheel course?

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
The only time in my career that I've touched a sandbag is when we used them to fortify the after 50 cals on the quarterdeck of the ship on my last deployment. The aircrew was pretty impressed when they started splitting and spilling sand all over the place after about a month. I thought the whole thing was goofy as hell.

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010

Samu posted:

I don't report untill next Tuesday, DP1 graduation on thursday.

They made us build an OP on force protection in the pissing rain, then right as we finished found a sandbag on the very bottom layer that was inside out, cut it open ad gave us a half hour to rebuild it. We weren't allowed to talk to each other either. I hate sandbags.

That sucks. Barring SARTECH, I think yours is probably the only trade qualification that might be harder than 031. Grats on the impending graduation. Now you get to go from feeling like a dude who's accomplished something to a worthless loving new guy again. I wish I could tell you that the army gets better as you get more time in, but that's not true. It just sucks differently.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Morristron posted:

That sucks. Barring SARTECH, I think yours is probably the only trade qualification that might be harder than 031. Grats on the impending graduation. Now you get to go from feeling like a dude who's accomplished something to a worthless loving new guy again. I wish I could tell you that the army gets better as you get more time in, but that's not true. It just sucks differently.

Be all you can be man. Try out for CSOR or Dwyer Hill after a couple years at your unit. And congratulations, trade qualification sucks balls!

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010

acumen posted:

Be all you can be man. Try out for CSOR or Dwyer Hill after a couple years at your unit. And congratulations, trade qualification sucks balls!

Yeah. I concur. It's a bad time to be in the army *unless* you can find something really high speed that you're going to dig.

Or go clearance diver. They're the only navy fucks that will never have to prove they're hard as gently caress.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Well you know I really just love being a Sapper right now. We just learn so many different things and are able to do so much it's kind of mind boggling. Next steps I want to take are to get on an air mobile course, get on a dive course, go all out really. I want to get in better shape because while I'm thin enough that I can kill at bodyweight stuff like the CF Express, I'm really not all that strong. I think with like 6 months training I can make a go at those kinds of courses and do well. My fireteam partner and the guy I'm going to get a place with is really high speed and just being around him instead of people like the lazy, pissed off corporals at the school really helps with keeping motivated. My biggest concern is that I wind up getting hosed over into some lovely admin job by luck of the drawn, but even then I'm willing to try to prove myself to the unit by just keeping my head up, working hard and not bitching. I hear there's tons of whiners at the unit who gently caress around and just stagnate, and I'm not going to be that guy. I make mistakes, forget poo poo, but I loving give'r and make a point to learn instead of loving around.

And don't get me wrong, I loving loved the hard parts of DP1. Even when they made us stand at attention out underneath the overhang against the bay doors and get pissed on while staring at the wall on a 45 minute time out I never doubted that this is what I want to do.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Samu where you posted? I'm of high morale myself!

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
And the countdown to (at least some degree of disappointment) begins in five... four...

Just in case anyone else happened to be trying (for some crazy reason) to use 7.62mm ball (not link) ammo in Wainwright, don't bother. I have it all, and am keeping it, as it is antique, and probably worth :10bux: Okay, so the batch that we drew was made in 1977, but still :wtc: I feel kind of bad making the snipers use ammo that's four years older than I am.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
Shine on, Samu. That's a great attitude to have. The real work begins and I wish you the very best.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
This thread seems pretty motherfarkin' army and stuff, but anyway whatevs. I'm a Navy shlup and proud, and I'm being deployed over to Libya on Sunday and I've no idea what the gently caress awaits me in the next six or months to come. Anyway if anyone gives a poo poo I'll keep y'alls informed as to what's goin on with me and maybe even send a few pics. Eh?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
poo poo, have fun with the war that the media forgot. Good luck over there.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Vadoc posted:

Speaking of sandbags... Hey MA-Horus, remember the static cling sandbag protector from our Airborne Driver Wheel course?

I try to forget everything from that stupid loving course. But I can't. gently caress that stupid loving course and the stupid loving course staff that thought it'd be fun to have injury RTUs from PT on a Driver Wheel course.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Simkin posted:

And the countdown to (at least some degree of disappointment) begins in five... four...

Just in case anyone else happened to be trying (for some crazy reason) to use 7.62mm ball (not link) ammo in Wainwright, don't bother. I have it all, and am keeping it, as it is antique, and probably worth :10bux: Okay, so the batch that we drew was made in 1977, but still :wtc: I feel kind of bad making the snipers use ammo that's four years older than I am.

It's probably still better than the new .308 IVI match.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

ub posted:

This thread seems pretty motherfarkin' army and stuff, but anyway whatevs. I'm a Navy shlup and proud, and I'm being deployed over to Libya on Sunday and I've no idea what the gently caress awaits me in the next six or months to come. Anyway if anyone gives a poo poo I'll keep y'alls informed as to what's goin on with me and maybe even send a few pics. Eh?
What's life like for a Navy shlup?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
After visiting home, I have realised I am almost 100% going to resign. That being said, all of my tough talk about getting out is 100% void, which makes me a human being. Plz help

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

My Spirit Otter posted:

After visiting home, I have realised I am almost 100% going to resign. That being said, all of my tough talk about getting out is 100% void, which makes me a human being. Plz help

Get in or get out, but realize that as much as the forces may suck at times, it's work. And unless you have a trade there's not much of that going around right now.

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010

MA-Horus posted:

Get in or get out, but realize that as much as the forces may suck at times, it's work. And unless you have a trade there's not much of that going around right now.

Dude, don't let that scare you into being miserable. If you hate the army, leave. No joke. Now is an especially good time to get out.

If you really hate it, build a plan and while you're eating noodles while at school or apprenticing to a trade or whatever you do, just remember that if you don't buckle the gently caress down and show some discipline you'll have to go back to the army.

Yes, the economy sucks right now. There will always be points where the economy sucks. People are still making a living out there. gently caress, people are still getting rich out there. And people are doing it from scratch. The poo poo certainly won't be easy, but will you be happier welding or doing graphic design or giving hot air balloon tours (or being in school for any of the above), or will you be happier in the army?

Also, make sure your wife is on board. Especially if you have kids.

If you want something badly enough, you'll find a way to get it.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

After three long years of BS, I am finally booked for my interview and PT test for the reserves (artillery). How should I prepare, both physically and for the interview?

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Mantle posted:

After three long years of BS, I am finally booked for my interview and PT test for the reserves (artillery). How should I prepare, both physically and for the interview?

Be honest. It's really hard to be turned down. Physically, it's pretty easy, but all the Army cares about is your running time, pushups, situps and pullups. So work on those.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

A new future gunner! Ubique. Where abouts are you trying to enlist?

If you are guns you will be the envy of all other Arty.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

If you are guns you will be the envy of all other reserve Arty.

Fixed that for ya. Also I find mortars way more fun. They can be a oval office to adjust sometimes, but way more fun

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Hizawk posted:

Be honest. It's really hard to be turned down. Physically, it's pretty easy, but all the Army cares about is your running time, pushups, situps and pullups. So work on those.

Unless you get rotator cuff tendonopathy. Then they won't let you on course for 2 months minimum :negative:

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Hizawk posted:

By running time do you mean endurance or do I need to cover a certain distance in under a certain time? How many pushups pullups and situps are we talking here?

I'm supposed to "know the trade" and know about the army. What should I know about arty? It's the 15th field in Vancouver.

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010
When I joined they wanted you to be able to cover 2.4km in 11:45 or something like that. It's not sprinting. I'm a terrible runner and I could cover that. Sidebar: in basic the thing that helped me the most was being able to ruck and do pushups and leg lifts. After battleschool all anybody cared about was my ability to run. Work on it.

The fact that you're here means you probably know the trade better than most of the dudes you'll be in basic with. I wouldn't really worry about that. In fact, if you do know poo poo, pretend you don't. Don't tell anyone. At least not until you get into your regimental history (if you have that in your trades training).

And since I'm handing out generic basic training advice, I'll just to the standard spiel: Just be like everyone else. Don't stand out, don't be a shitpump, don't be obviously better than anyone else, and don't volunteer for anything.

And try to snag an extra set of sheets. It'll come in handy.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Morristron posted:

When I joined they wanted you to be able to cover 2.4km in 11:45 or something like that. It's not sprinting. I'm a terrible runner and I could cover that. Sidebar: in basic the thing that helped me the most was being able to ruck and do pushups and leg lifts. After battleschool all anybody cared about was my ability to run. Work on it.

The fact that you're here means you probably know the trade better than most of the dudes you'll be in basic with. I wouldn't really worry about that. In fact, if you do know poo poo, pretend you don't. Don't tell anyone. At least not until you get into your regimental history (if you have that in your trades training).

And since I'm handing out generic basic training advice, I'll just to the standard spiel: Just be like everyone else. Don't stand out, don't be a shitpump, don't be obviously better than anyone else, and don't volunteer for anything.

And try to snag an extra set of sheets. It'll come in handy.

I'm not to worried about basic. I'm more worried about passing the interview and being approved for training. What does the career counsellor want to hear?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Morristron posted:

Just be like everyone else. Don't stand out, don't be a shitpump, don't be obviously better than anyone else, and don't volunteer for anything.

This is good advice. Once you're done with basic, nobody gives a gently caress about basic. Being top recruit or whatever doesn't matter one bit. Follow the pack, don't be an individual, don't volunteer, don't gently caress your squad over.

Lucky, 15 Field still has their guns. I always preferred guns over mortars.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

This is good advice. Once you're done with basic, nobody gives a gently caress about basic. Being top recruit or whatever doesn't matter one bit. Follow the pack, don't be an individual, don't volunteer, don't gently caress your squad over.

Lucky, 15 Field still has their guns. I always preferred guns over mortars.

u crazy. I prefer mortars because they're poo poo simple to do anything on also when you're cease firing, take off the sight and huck the mortar in the back on an ls and bounce. It's also way more fun setting up 2 aiming posts, possibly three, within 10 meters of the mortar, rather than running out 50-50 at least

Also Mantle, don't step on/over the trails in your dp1, it's a mistake THATS ARE COLOURS YOU'RE FUCKIN' WIT, BOY

My Spirit Otter fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 13, 2011

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Don't lean or sit on the gun either.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Vadoc posted:

Don't lean or sit on the gun either.
Seriously, this. Don't touch the gun unless you are cleaning or moving it, which, trust me, will be the entirety of your career. Legit though, people get all antsy when you are rubbing up on the gun when you're not cleaning it or firing it or moving it. It's kind of taboo

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010

My Spirit Otter posted:

Seriously, this. Don't touch the gun unless you are cleaning or moving it, which, trust me, will be the entirety of your career. Legit though, people get all antsy when you are rubbing up on the gun when you're not cleaning it or firing it or moving it. It's kind of taboo

Now I really want to do that when I'm going through the Stampede or see some other dog and pony with arty dudes and I'm in civvies. Just lean against it and start texting. :D

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Morristron posted:

Now I really want to do that when I'm going through the Stampede or see some other dog and pony with arty dudes and I'm in civvies. Just lean against it and start texting. :D

I would love you forever if you got that on film

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

My Spirit Otter posted:

I would love you forever if you got that on film

As would I. Or if you put a backpack on the flash-hider or something.

Bonus points for ever use of the word "shitpump" in retaliation.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Is that the arty equivalent of having civvies pick up your c7 while you're doing guard duty and asking "Is this a real gun?" or something?

(that's a story I heard from one of the privates at my old reserve unit, not personal experience, by the way!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

tuyop posted:

Is that the arty equivalent of having civvies pick up your c7 while you're doing guard duty and asking "Is this a real gun?" or something?

(that's a story I heard from one of the privates at my old reserve unit, not personal experience, by the way!)

No it's the equivalent of someone taking your regimental colours and drawing dicks on them with sharpies. The guns are our colours.

And why the gently caress would a civvie have the ability to pick up your weapon on guard duty? Why wouldn't it be with you at all times?