Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
Eh, if it snaps out it's probably fine to wash it. Just throw it in your gentle cycle in the wash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Gnaghi posted:

Since liners for old icon helmets are apparently backordered forever what's the consensus on just ripping it out and throwing it in the washer? It's at that "starting to change color" phase.

If it snaps out wash it by hand in your sink or something. I just did that with my HJC and it was grossssss

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Just got a bunch of new stuff in the mail. Alpinestars Bionic Air Back Insert, Bionic Chest Pads and some Alpinestars Vega Drystar gloves. Might ignore the work I have to do and go out for a ride to try them all now.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Aargh posted:

Alpinestars Bionic Air Back Insert

Could you tell me the size and approximate dimensions of the back protector? Looking to put something better in my A* Stage jacket but am worried about fit.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

Could you tell me the size and approximate dimensions of the back protector? Looking to put something better in my A* Stage jacket but am worried about fit.

I'd say it's about 400mm x 200mm at its longest and widest points. I've got a size large ad it fits snugly into my size 48(US) A* SMK Jacket. I've got one of the A* RC Back protectors lying around too, it's probably a little (25mm) narrower than that but about the same length. The RC Protector just felt like having a plank of wood in the back pocket.

I've also got a Dainese Wave 2 Protector which is one of the ones you wear under your jacket (or just over your hoody if you're a squid), it's a fair bit larger than either of the other 2 but I quite like it (it's also a lot more expensive).

modify_evolution
Jan 21, 2010
Anyone want some motorcycle superstore coupon codes? I've got a 10% off code, and one for $5 off your next purchase over $100. PM me if you want them.

Gone!

modify_evolution fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 13, 2011

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I ordered a pair of Etymotics finally at the advice here, and just got them today. I haven't gone out with them yet, but the sound isolation sitting at my desk is really impressive, and the quality is great (although I have poo poo hearing anyways so they all sound pretty similar to me). My only question: do they ever stop feeling like shoving a fat hard cock in your ear?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

SlightlyMadman posted:

I ordered a pair of Etymotics finally at the advice here, and just got them today. I haven't gone out with them yet, but the sound isolation sitting at my desk is really impressive, and the quality is great (although I have poo poo hearing anyways so they all sound pretty similar to me). My only question: do they ever stop feeling like shoving a fat hard cock in your ear?

If they ever do stop feeling like that, then I'd guess they probably aren't working properly anymore, meaning you won't get the sound isolation that you originally were getting. But if you can live with that, then go ahead.

I have a Scala rider set, and I listen to a lot of pod casts. Anyone know of a way to boost the volume of the 'casts before I sync them to my iPod? Some of them are really low volume and I can't hear poo poo when I get over 50/60 Kph with the helmet that I'm wearing (yeah, too much wind noise isn't helping).

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

SpannerX posted:

If they ever do stop feeling like that, then I'd guess they probably aren't working properly anymore, meaning you won't get the sound isolation that you originally were getting. But if you can live with that, then go ahead.

Yeah, I guess I didn't expect them to feel so much worse than normal earplugs. I have really tiny ears so maybe they're just not right for me. I'll give them a chance to see if I get used to it though.

edit: WHOOOOOOOOOA gently caress ... I just gave the "glider" style tips a good shove after having them in for 10 minutes, and apparently they weren't all the way in. They just went from feeling like rape to barely being able to feel them at all, and the sound just loving exploded inside my brain.

SlightlyMadman fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 12, 2011

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

SlightlyMadman posted:

Yeah, I guess I didn't expect them to feel so much worse than normal earplugs. I have really tiny ears so maybe they're just not right for me. I'll give them a chance to see if I get used to it though.

edit: WHOOOOOOOOOA gently caress ... I just gave the "glider" style tips a good shove after having them in for 10 minutes, and apparently they weren't all the way in. They just went from feeling like rape to barely being able to feel them at all, and the sound just loving exploded inside my brain.
Ah, that makes sense. I've found that ear plugs in general don't feel good unless they are all the way in.

[panic]
Aug 16, 2000

bounce bounce bounce
Any recommendations on some luggage for what is hopefully soon to be my new bike? I don't really like the OEM panniers, not to mention they are extraordinarily expensive.

I'm thinking about the Givi T479 Saddlebags along with the T477 Roll Bag. Thoughts on other options?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

~*MY WIFE*~ just sent me an email with some pictures...

My Kriega R20 just showed up from britkit, I can't wait to see this thing in person because pics make it look the poo poo. Daily commutes with this should hopefully be nice!

Ninja edit: we have lots of cats....

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

My cats have a box just like that. We find that the styrofoam chips are way better than standard packing peanuts, because you can shred them up into horrible styrofoam bits that the pathetic humans will never get clean. I just wish they wouldn't put all that annoying stuff in the boxes when they send them, instead of just more awesome packing material. Oh, and don't even get me started on loving Amazon.com with their god drat giant popping balloon packing.

edit: THIS IS KITTENS MCPURRSALOT FROM SPORT BIKE CAT GEAR SPORT BIKE CAT GEAR DOT COM

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Any links for a good motorcycle cover? Im leaving my bike outdoors and the blue tarp thing isnt cutting it any more. I just put all new plastics and paint on my bike and I want to keep it looking nice.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

yummycheese posted:

Any links for a good motorcycle cover? Im leaving my bike outdoors and the blue tarp thing isnt cutting it any more. I just put all new plastics and paint on my bike and I want to keep it looking nice.

I went to the local cheap-rear end auto accessories shop (think Autozone, but less chrome and more SUBZZZ) and got the largest one made from Tyvek, silver on the outside, white fabric on the inside.

It's held on with an elastic band at either end that goes around the wheel, but it can't quite reach around the rear wheel, so I've put a set of elastic baggage cords around it as well. Seems to work quite well.

VietAssRapeFuckBros
Mar 8, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I have the Icon Daytona Stealth jacket and it fits well but the sleeves come up to my knuckles when unzipped for air circulation. When zipped up they rest at the wrist, is this the way it's supposed to fit? I just recently started lurking around this part of the forums so I figured I'd ask.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

yummycheese posted:

Walmart carries what I consider to be a decent motorcycle cover.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

yummycheese posted:

I picked up mine from Farm and Fleet for $40. It's nothing too fancy, elastic band around the front and back wheel with two bungee cords to go under it and strap to the other side. It's blue and white, has breathable vents up by the windshield (if you have one on your bike) and so far has done really well for me. Even with the bad storms we got in Chicago on Monday, it hasn't let any water through.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

VietAssRapeFuckBros posted:

I have the Icon Daytona Stealth jacket and it fits well but the sleeves come up to my knuckles when unzipped for air circulation. When zipped up they rest at the wrist, is this the way it's supposed to fit? I just recently started lurking around this part of the forums so I figured I'd ask.

Get in motorcycle stance and then see. When you're leaned forward with your arms bent on the bike, the sleeves will come up. The sleeves should be about at your knuckles when you're just standing around for them to be at the proper position (wrists) when riding.

American Joe
Sep 23, 2006
Sena SMH10 Dual kit (Newer model with upgradable firmware) just arrived. Seem to be decent little units, smaller than they look in pictures. They both have some minor cosmetic issues, as the matte paint layer is peeling off near some of the edges.

Noise quality is fantastic, however both of the units have an extremely irritating popping/clicking noise, and only the right speaker (longer cable) triggered whenever any of the buttons are pressed on the unit. Left speaker is perfectly clear at all times, and the right speaker is fine during comms or playback, but any button press causes the noise. It almost sounds like some kind of electrical spike, could this be caused by the longer cable?

Does anyone else here have these units and have the same problem, or is it supposed to be like that?

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

I have a set, although I'm not sure if they're the version with upgradeable firmware or not. The matte paint didn't start peeling on mine until I crashed in them, so they got a bit of the finish scraped off and now it's peeling. Noise quality is great, and usually they stay in connection with eachother for at least 2 corners. I don't notice a popping noise with any of the units. Maybe contact Sena?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Welp, my kriega R20 is a wonderful piece of kit. I had it loaded up with a pair of shoes and my lunch/food for the day and it handled it all nicely. Easy to load and get on when in my jacket. I don't even feel the pack when I'm riding. It's perfect, and the closure on the front is ingenious.

My Tourmaster Venture air pants showed up so tomorrow will be the first for real ATGATT ride. Those things are heavy as gently caress with all the liners in them! They are mesh with super tough fabric on the rear end/hips/knees. They come with two liners, one waterproof, and the other one insulated. The mesh layer fits over my jeans and can be put on with boots on.

My gear roster is as follows:
- Scorpion Exo 700 'rivet'
- Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 in blue
- Some random Texport gauntlets (wanted A* gpx gloves :sigh: )
- Tourmaster Venture Air overpants
- Alpinestars SMX5 boots (amazing)
- Kriega R20 Rucksack (amazing)

Ask me anything!

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Thanks for the tips on the bike cover. Unfortunately I live in Boston and we dont exactly have farm and fleets or WalMarts. But sounds like just about generic cover is gonna get the job done.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

yummycheese posted:

Thanks for the tips on the bike cover. Unfortunately I live in Boston and we dont exactly have farm and fleets or WalMarts. But sounds like just about generic cover is gonna get the job done.

Just remember to get one that says it's breathable or made from Tyvek or something similar. Otherwise you may as well just use a cheap plastic tarp.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

yummycheese posted:

I have this cover in black/silver that I'd sell you for $30 shipped if you like. It's still sealed in the box, as I got two as gifts recently and only need one obviously.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
I know it's warm out, but check out this :911: Fleece gaiter.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/121-497

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Armyman25 posted:

I know it's warm out, but check out this :911: Fleece gaiter.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/121-497

Hair like that clearly belongs on a Ducati :colbert:

E: wonder if his hair is SNELL rated? :downsrim: thanks folks I'll be here all week

himajinga fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 14, 2011

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Does anyone have experience removing logos from leather? I really like my A* stuff, but could do without the ALPINESTARS A* ONE VISION ONE GOAL plastered on every possible spot.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Gnaghi posted:

Does anyone have experience removing logos from leather? I really like my A* stuff, but could do without the ALPINESTARS A* ONE VISION ONE GOAL plastered on every possible spot.

I've always figured when I drop the cash on some SMX pluses in the next week or so I was just going to sharpie out the logos to keep with my head-to-toe monochrome thing.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I've been using the Etymotics for a week now, and the glider tips are definitely the most comfortable once they're in. The only problem is that they're extremely painful to insert. I must have a tighter opening near the outside of the ear but a wider canal inside. If it were just stretching to get into this it wouldn't be so bad, but the tips provide a perfect seal so air can't escape, and the main source of pain is the tremendous air pressure on my eardrum until they go it.

It helps a bit if I go gently in stages to get them in, but ultimately there's always a brief moment where I'm seriously concerned about rupturing my eardrum. I guess I should just switch to a different tip that's less comfortable but easy to insert.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Are you lifting the top of your ear as you insert them? It ovals out the entry so that air can escape until they seat properly. Also having them moist helps.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Z3n posted:

Are you lifting the top of your ear as you insert them? It ovals out the entry so that air can escape until they seat properly. Also having them moist helps.

Yeah, I've tried both those. I was born 6 weeks premature so I have tiny undeveloped pixie ears. The tips that look like normal earplugs still work great though, and go in much easier. They're not as comfortable as the gliders once in, but I can deal with it ok. They also seem to have slightly better isolation.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

himajinga posted:

I've always figured when I drop the cash on some SMX pluses in the next week or so I was just going to sharpie out the logos to keep with my head-to-toe monochrome thing.

Sharpie's not a bad idea at all, didn't even think of that. It definitely beats nervously cutting out threads for 2 hours.

[panic]
Aug 16, 2000

bounce bounce bounce
Has anyone ever ordered anything from kneedraggers.com? Want to make sure they are decent before plunking down for an order.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
They get an A+ from me. Ordered gloves from them recently, and their shipping was nice and quick, I can't speak for anything customer service related though.

[panic]
Aug 16, 2000

bounce bounce bounce
That's good enough for me, thanks for letting me know.

[panic]
Aug 16, 2000

bounce bounce bounce
Double post!

Does anyone have a recommendation on a pair of mesh pants? It is hot as balls in NC and my FirstGear HT II Overpants are way too bulky and non-breathable. I kind of like these but I'm not sure about them. I'm looking for something that is very cool and breathable, and as slim fitting as possible with armor.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
http://www.ratherberiding.co.za/neck-brace-for-boy-racers-leatt-stx/

Think this leatt brace would be a good idea for riding/racing? Thoughts/opinions?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Well after a decent stint of unemployment I got a job that's too far and doesn't provide me with a desk, a cubicle or even a locker. So I did the only logical thing.

I went with the R30 over the R35 for it's waterproofness (one less thing to worry about) and I already discovered an extra bonus! Say you ride to work and want to keep everything in your pack. Well, since the opening is a roll-top design, when you get there you simply run the strap across the top, closing it without rolling it up. That gives you an extra 6x16" of space at the top, making it 3 inches taller than the R35! I really can't wait to use this thing on monday when the weather cools down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Guys, it is hotter than blazes outside and I have not been riding my motorcycle because my gear consists of a full face helmet, jeans, boots, gloves, and a leather jacket, riding in stop and go traffic, never exceeding 40 mph on my work commute. The jacket is nice when the weather isn't 100+ with humidity, so I am looking at getting a mesh jacket for the hot days. I'm assuming they are much more comfortable on hot days than leather and I'm looking to spend $150 to $200 on one. Is this a reasonable price range, and what would be a good buy in that range?