Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
One of my favorite lines in GTA4 is after Niko meets Brucie for the first time and he says "He's a pretty cool guy," in a voice dripping with sarcasm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Brucie doesn't do 500 CRUNCHES a day to cuddle with CELLULITE!

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I preferred Caesar over Woozie. Caesar is a BRO.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Himuro posted:

I preferred Caesar over Woozie. Caesar is a BRO.
drat sure, and he has the best lines.
CJ: Where did you get that? <meaning a silencer>
Cesar: Same place I buy my pants, this is america CJ.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Just popped GTA in and got an update.

Any idea what for? Or did I miss something skimming the thread? :saddowns:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Zedd posted:

drat sure, and he has the best lines.
CJ: Where did you get that? <meaning a silencer>
Cesar: Same place I buy my pants, this is america CJ.

Hahahahaha, definitely the best partner in a GTA game. Lance is great, but because he's a traitor gently caress I have dock some points.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Chinaman7000 posted:

I think running into one of the 10 "what the gently caress is this poo poo i'm gonna break my controller" missions hidden in every GTA style game is a valid reason.

It's the only thing holding me back from reinstalling SA right now. I know I'll be a busta who can't keep up with the drat train.

Honestly I've never found that mission difficult, I'm pretty I've beaten it in the first two attempts on all of my playthroughs. You just have to stick to the outside of the opposite track, riding too close to the train means Smoke can't shoot the guys on the roof and you'll eventually fail.

As I've said a few times, it's the lack of checkpoints that really kill my enthusiasm for the older games. Dying on the last leg of a 20 minute mission where you've had to drive for 5 minutes to even start the mission usually makes me stop playing for a few days.

Oh and the gang warfare segment in San Andreas. I'm pretty sure at least two of my playthroughs came to a screaming halt at that point. It just feels too much like busywork and padding for the "25 hours to complete" stat. Thanks for conquering the Badlands, San Fierro, the desert and Las Venturas, now go do turf wars for a few hours so we can finish off the story.

poop
Jun 20, 2009

USER FOREVER BANNED FOR DOUBTING THE FOREVER BAN
I maed a GTA youtube videoo :downs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDajqyjCh8s

coinstarpatrick
May 21, 2007

by T. Finn

poop posted:

Somehow this short film managed to encompass high drama, comedy and suspense. Bravo.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I liked the gang wars in SA with two exceptions: (a) the part where you lose it all before going to San Fiero, and (b) those couple of "territories" that were basically 20 feet of loving sidewalk that was drat near impossible to start a gang war in.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Lurchibles posted:

That was one of the things that made Brucie the bastard he is... You didn't like him because he was loud and over the top, but secretly you actually did like him because he was so annoying he made the other characters stand out as not being as annoying :D

You could be right there. Thing is, I always play with a pair of closed headphones on to take advantage of sound clues and such - and I like the sound of a big fat US-mobile on tarmac, so Brucie in the morning just after your first coffee and tobacco is a bit much. However, since Mori's appearance all is forgiven.

I'm curious re. V. Can't believe they'll revisit VC or SA, although I imagine San Francisco and Vegas would look really good if they gave it the kind of attention they gave to NY. Would be very nice if Mexico were involved somehow. The best part of RDR plays out there I think, and you could do a lot with it in a modern setting.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

poop posted:

Gurren Lagann and The sims music. :3:

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Himuro posted:

Bullshit. Niko dies after like 3 bullets.

GTA IV carries over the Vice City Stories theme of 'the bad guys have better guns than you and never ever loving miss.' That could have been toned down a little bit. But then again, RDR really did perfect the cover system.

MrJacobs posted:

"C'mon NB, lets put some bitches to the sword!" is the line that made me kind of like Brucie to loving the character. That and calling any woman next to him on friend activities "bitches" in every context imaginable.

I also loved Yusef Amir for his solid gold everything. He was Bruciex1000 and it was glorious. And his use of the word nigga never ceases to crack me up.

If Rockstar ever found a way to go back to GTAIV for another DLC, having Brucie and Yusef teaming up would be the best thing ever.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

After I played TBoGT, I hear and see Yusef Amir's voice actor everywhere!

He's pretty famous here in the UK.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Underflow posted:

I'm curious re. V. Can't believe they'll revisit VC or SA, although I imagine San Francisco and Vegas would look really good if they gave it the kind of attention they gave to NY.

Hum, there've been pretty credible rumors (job listing type stuff) about something from the GTA team being made in a Los Angeles type environment. Though I suppose that could just be a Gameboy game or totally unrelated project.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The guy who voiced Yusef is the bloke in the Mummy who gets a beetle in his brain and smashes his head into a wall. He was in Gladiator too I believe.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I'd be cool with GTA:San Andreas Stories (which looks like a HD version like a rerelease of other ps2 games)

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

thebardyspoon posted:

The guy who voiced Yusef is the bloke in the Mummy who gets a beetle in his brain and smashes his head into a wall. He was in Gladiator too I believe.

thank you so much for this information.

Derryck Catskills
Jun 18, 2009

by Ozmaugh
This is why I hate GTAForums:

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=481121

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Derryck Catskills posted:

This is why I hate GTAForums:

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=481121

:laugh:

I remember that guy's posts from just before GTA4 was announced and they were completely ridiculous. From memory I think his story covered New York, Detroit, Chicago, New Orleans, Mexico and a bunch of places in central/south America which were all where the game was going to take place. And people just lapped that poo poo up.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
Does anyone have a link to the San Andreas SZR Roleplay (or whatever it's called) thread? I can't find it anywhere!

Edit: Never mind, used Google site search.

HoldYourFire fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 15, 2011

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Underflow posted:

I'm curious re. V. Can't believe they'll revisit VC or SA, although I imagine San Francisco and Vegas would look really good if they gave it the kind of attention they gave to NY. Would be very nice if Mexico were involved somehow. The best part of RDR plays out there I think, and you could do a lot with it in a modern setting.

Well it would be interesting to see which way they go... Personally I think it would be awesome if they just decided to go crazy and have it in Europe or something :D

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Lurchibles posted:

Well it would be interesting to see which way they go... Personally I think it would be awesome if they just decided to go crazy and have it in Europe or something :D

Hmm, yeah; speeding along a corniche over the French Riviera like in those old flicks would be fun. But city, and even motorway, traffic would feel very cramped, I think. I'd like to push souped up to the max muscle cars down straight, deserted dusty Interstates - and rocket cars on salt lakes while we're there. And what would the cops be armed with here? Semi-automatic pistols at best. That's no challenge.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

Cliff Racer posted:

Hum, there've been pretty credible rumors (job listing type stuff) about something from the GTA team being made in a Los Angeles type environment. Though I suppose that could just be a Gameboy game or totally unrelated project.

I would love a new GTA game set in Los Santos. San Andreas was the best GTA game and also had the best setting.

If the game is well made, and has the same inner-city gang warfare theme that San Andreas had, I'll be as happy as a pig in poo poo. Especially if the soundtrack is like the one in San Andreas.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Los Santos would be great, but I'd kill for a London-based game.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Apparently Rockstar has been working on another DS title.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Not specifically Grand Theft Auto though :(

I can't imagine they'll set a GTA game completely outside the USA. I know they did London: 1969 in the top-down era, but so much of the series in the 3D era has been about satirising American culture. It's hard to see them giving that opportunity up.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
As long as we're making guesses for the GTA5 city, mine would be something like a Detroit or Pittsburgh so they can easily lampoon our lovely economy. Maybe the protagonist will be some business owner hitting hard times and forced to turn to the mob.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

webmeister posted:

Not specifically Grand Theft Auto though :(

I can't imagine they'll set a GTA game completely outside the USA. I know they did London: 1969 in the top-down era, but so much of the series in the 3D era has been about satirising American culture. It's hard to see them giving that opportunity up.

Surely there's only so many ways you can say that everyone, everywhere is stupid for stupid reasons and there's no hope for anybody ever?

That was one of my gripes with GTA4 - there wasn't a story, just a sequence of things that happen. You meet people, then you meet some more people, then you shot one or two of those people because they're Bad People, then you go do missions for people who are obviously either idiots, sociopaths, or both, then you rob a bank (which was, honestly, really cool), then Niko GETS ANGRY and chases someone down, then you kill them, then the game ends.

I think I met a ridiculous fuh-laming gay stereoype and the NASDAQ was BAWSAQ? Which aren't satirical, just 'here's a thing only NOT'.

Southpaw Wusky
Oct 23, 2010

spincube posted:

I think I met a ridiculous fuh-laming gay stereoype and the NASDAQ was BAWSAQ? Which aren't satirical, just 'here's a thing only NOT'.

BAWSAQ = ballsack.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

BJk posted:

BAWSAQ = ballsack.

I like how they've always put an element of Scottishness in these games, given that Scotland is the home of GTA.

(It is also the home of mindless violence.)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

spincube posted:

Surely there's only so many ways you can say that everyone, everywhere is stupid for stupid reasons and there's no hope for anybody ever?

That was one of my gripes with GTA4 - there wasn't a story, just a sequence of things that happen. You meet people, then you meet some more people, then you shot one or two of those people because they're Bad People, then you go do missions for people who are obviously either idiots, sociopaths, or both, then you rob a bank (which was, honestly, really cool), then Niko GETS ANGRY and chases someone down, then you kill them, then the game ends.

Don't forget the part where after the last mission either a good character that you get attached to dies, or a crappy character that you have to go out of your way to care about dies. Why did they even make here a love interest? She never puts out, and she's boring. Maybe that's something in real life, but not in my video game about murdering people for no reason.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Cojawfee posted:

Don't forget the part where after the last mission either a good character that you get attached to dies, or a crappy character that you have to go out of your way to care about dies. Why did they even make here a love interest? She never puts out, and she's boring. Maybe that's something in real life, but not in my video game about murdering people for no reason.

Yeah; I played the 2 endings not only to get all the missions, but also to see these 2 annoying characters die. Roman because of his voice; Kate because she was forced on me. Fight the power, smash the state, kill 'em all; no lovey dovey in a RS game.

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

Does anyone know why when I spawn pedestrians with the trainer, they appear to have scoliosis? They always have their backs at a 90 degree angle, face pointed at the sky.

It's pretty funny. I made a video of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6stMnN-QJo

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Angry Boat posted:

Does anyone know why when I spawn pedestrians with the trainer, they appear to have scoliosis? They always have their backs at a 90 degree angle, face pointed at the sky.

It's pretty funny. I made a video of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6stMnN-QJo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpKLDRQxPaE clearly...

I actually did like the person that dies in the revenge ending, I really wanted Roman to die but it wouldn't make any sense to make a deal with the guy.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 24, 2011

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It kind of makes sense to (end-game spoiler) make a deal with Dimitri considering what Niko learns about the nature of revenge. What annoys me about that ending is Kate dumping you for making the deal. It makes no sense.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
I've tried to google this with various boolean terms, but to no avail...
Anyone here read a lot of GTA IV wiki's, or such?
I would love a guide that lists the GTAIV main missions, plus tLatD & tBoGT, along with some type of flowchart/list mechanism that would allow those of us with both DLCs to go and play them in chronological order.. A few in IV, one or two in the others, then back to IV for one mission, then further the story by missions in the other packs.
Am I asking something too insipid or implausible?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Paradox Personified posted:

I've tried to google this with various boolean terms, but to no avail...
Anyone here read a lot of GTA IV wiki's, or such?
I would love a guide that lists the GTAIV main missions, plus tLatD & tBoGT, along with some type of flowchart/list mechanism that would allow those of us with both DLCs to go and play them in chronological order.. A few in IV, one or two in the others, then back to IV for one mission, then further the story by missions in the other packs.
Am I asking something too insipid or implausible?
I think the GTA wiki on Wikia has a chronological timeline for the story somewhere? I know some of the DLC takes place after the end of vanilla GTAIV.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Colonel Whitey posted:

As long as we're making guesses for the GTA5 city, mine would be something like a Detroit or Pittsburgh so they can easily lampoon our lovely economy. Maybe the protagonist will be some business owner hitting hard times and forced to turn to the mob.
The first 2 Saints Row games already take place in a Detroit-esque city, so I'm not sure that's going to happen.

Would love to see them do Vice City again with a modern engine. A new San Andreas would also be acceptable. Honestly though, I figure they'll go out of the country for the first time since the very earliest GTA games. Maybe Japan or England again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Google gave me this; now sorry to poo poo on you but that was the 3rd result for "chronological order gta4 and dlc missions" so not hard to find.
http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=430301

• Locked thread