Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Anything involving Wraith Squadron is quality readin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Chairman Capone posted:

(Han mourning Chewie)

I still believe that Chewie didn't die. He decided that saving Han's dumbass kids every three minutes wasn't in the spirit of his original agreement with Solo, so he faked his own death and is now enjoying running a franchise cantina for Lando.

I honestly enjoyed things like Vergere and other force using characters trying to point out that if the Force was all encompassing it would have to be bigger and more complex than simple black and white dark and light side users. It would have been a nice way to progress from the old Jedi Order into the new one and was an interesting point. Then Lucas said that the Force is, always was, and always will be simple Dark vs. Light and all the Gray Jedi had to be retconned into delusional hippies or secret Sith Lords.

Razorwired fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 12, 2011

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Geddy Krueger posted:

True, nothing much really came of it but I liked to see that he just liked screwing with people. Zsinj was a space goon :colbert:

Why hasn't anyone done an incrediblely bombed Zsinj sitting on a space sofa staring at his own sick with numb horror art wise yet?

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Geddy Krueger posted:

Another great EU antagonist was Zsinj (at least in the Wraith books, I never read Courtship), who, aside from building up an impressive network of capital organized in a manner similar to terrorist cells, enjoyed theater and acting just to screw with people, routinely putting on displays that would cause most observers to underestimate him.

I think Zsinj works as a good villain because his plans, while perfectly Star Wars-y, are pretty understandable and usually rely on minimum of Deus Ex Machina, unlike Thrawn's painting-magic. He just sets up some pretty basic traps because they actually make sense.

"Republic forces might get past our blockade and we can't track their evacuation route? gently caress it, let's plant a shitload of mines all over the loving place and rig them so they broadcast where they are when they explode."

I mean, I think his most masterful tactic in the Wraith series basically amounted to "bring in a poo poo-ton of ships they don't know about".

Slantedfloors fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 13, 2011

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
There's a handful, for me.

My absolute favorite is Ganner's last stand in the Brain Well. Complete :black101:

Another great moment is the conversation with Aeris in KotoR 2. Just the sheer amount of tension and passion in that scene is great.

A final one for me is when the Rebellion retakes Coruscant. After years of loving around with the Empire, the Rebels finally take their capital.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE

VaultAggie posted:

There's a handful, for me.

My absolute favorite is Ganner's last stand in the Brain Well. Complete :black101:

I love that scene too. But then my rear end in a top hat of a brain thinks back to how nearly impossible a single Vong was to kill in the first book or three and I get mad about bad storytelling.

I need a lobotomy.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

ZeeToo posted:

Even at the end of The Last Command, in the last battle, he's getting pretty thoroughly trounced before he gets finished off.

It's been awhile since I read it, but that part always confused me. That whole battle was a massive trap designed by Thrawn himself. The whole things goes off without a hitch but I guess since a group of pesky smugglers show up and Wedge decides to be all Wedge the whole thing turned into rout?

Razorwired posted:

I honestly enjoyed things like Vergere and other force using characters trying to point out that if the Force was all encompassing it would have to be bigger and more complex than simple black and white dark and light side users. It would have been a nice way to progress from the old Jedi Order into the new one and was an interesting point. Then Lucas said that the Force is, always was, and always will be simple Dark vs. Light and all the Gray Jedi had to be retconned into delusional hippies or secret Sith Lords.

There was nothing in either of the trilogies to indicate there was this grand "multi-sides of a crystal" Unifying Force. Going by the trilogies there were two people that got it right, Luke and Qui-Gon. Maybe hermit Yoda. Everyone else was either doing it wrong (the Jedi Order) or making GBS threads in the pool (Sith).

I disagree strongly that the EU could have gone in any kind of interesting direction with it. They would have just used it as an excuse to give us even more fantasy novel monsters and villians.

quote:

But then my rear end in a top hat of a brain thinks back to how nearly impossible a single Vong was to kill in the first book or three and I get mad about bad storytelling.

You see, the Vong are such badasses that a single one can take down a trained Jedi without breaking a sweat. Then Anakin kills like 50 of them while lugging around his sick aunt.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
The entire Darth Bane concept was really well done.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Azzmo posted:

I love that scene too. But then my rear end in a top hat of a brain thinks back to how nearly impossible a single Vong was to kill in the first book or three and I get mad about bad storytelling.

I need a lobotomy.
Well you see as the war progressed the Jedi learned how to fight them, progressing to the point where killing dozens single-handedly was trivial.

:rolleyes:

WhyteRyce posted:

It's been awhile since I read it, but that part always confused me. That whole battle was a massive trap designed by Thrawn himself. The whole things goes off without a hitch but I guess since a group of pesky smugglers show up and Wedge decides to be all Wedge the whole thing turned into rout?

It was hardly a rout at that point. The smugglers were a (sizable) insurgent force striking from a completely unexpected direction and opening up a hole in the battle lines that had to be accounted for, but that notwithstanding, I think it was implied that the Imperial fleet had the Republic forces badly outgunned (even with a couple Republic sector fleets there). Its just Thrawn got poked right as he was addressing the problem, the problem got larger in the confusion, and Palleon didn't feel like he was badass enough to salvage it.

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan
I unironically enjoy the Darksaber blowing itself up.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

WhyteRyce posted:

I disagree strongly that the EU could have gone in any kind of interesting direction with it. They would have just used it as an excuse to give us even more fantasy novel monsters and villians.

On the other hand, without "going in that direction" we already have Force-LOTR, Force-Cthulhu, Force-vampires, and Force-Harry Potter Potions.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Throwing away the entire concept of the Unifying Force and ambiguity led directly to LoTF and FoTJ shoehorning in the Sith at every turn. Making the series poo poo.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Even Force-Red Herring of KOTOR 2 was a better villain sideplot than every Sith plot going with a Force-False Moral Dilemma.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Suenteus Po posted:

:hfive: Good man.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

arioch posted:

On the other hand, without "going in that direction" we already have Force-LOTR, Force-Cthulhu, Force-vampires, and Force-Harry Potter Potions.
:raise:

Suenteus Po posted:

Only good part of the book.

Well, maybe Bevil Lemisk asking nicely to be killed the right way for once too.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Torael_7 posted:

:raise:
"Sith Alchemy"

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Sith alchemy long predates both Harry Potter and the Unifying Force concept, though. And when it's used right, I think it can be effective. When it's just the use of the dark side to mutate creatures, I don't have a problem with it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Chairman Capone posted:

Sith alchemy long predates both Harry Potter and the Unifying Force concept, though.

Right, which is why I said the EU already went that stupid without needing the UF concept.

quote:

And when it's used right, I think it can be effective. When it's just the use of the dark side to mutate creatures, I don't have a problem with it.

No, that's pretty retarded. Also dark side poisons can turn you to the dark side. Basically none of the actual Force concepts out of the Tales of the Jedi series were any good.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
Alot of my favourite EU moments come from KotOR 2. There's the point where you can mind control a pair of thugs into jumping down a pit, a fair ammount of party mini-scenes on the Ebon Hawk (I've seen you scratching your equipment when you think no-one is looking') and the one line where they seamlessly tie RPG levelling into the story.

But the best one is Kreia's speach to a Dark Side Exile in the council chamber on Dantooine. The queen Sith calling your long hard quest for ultimate power stupid and immature is just perfect.

Mmtheblue
Jul 25, 2007

...Out of this period a particularly cunning and strong Ork will emerge as the leader and the other Orks will gather round him...

VaultAggie posted:

A final one for me is when the Rebellion retakes Coruscant. After years of loving around with the Empire, the Rebels finally take their capital.

The EU Ruins Everything (Even the EU):

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

quote:

It was hardly a rout at that point. The smugglers were a (sizable) insurgent force striking from a completely unexpected direction and opening up a hole in the battle lines that had to be accounted for, but that notwithstanding, I think it was implied that the Imperial fleet had the Republic forces badly outgunned (even with a couple Republic sector fleets there). Its just Thrawn got poked right as he was addressing the problem, the problem got larger in the confusion, and Palleon didn't feel like he was badass enough to salvage it.

I never really got why we should respect Pellaeon. He was completely vanilla in his original appearances, but he just kept on getting grandfathered into future storylines, even as he got well past grandfather aged. And offscreen he supposedly did stuff that warranted having that respect and all those promotions, but he was just Thrawn's lackey who always wanted to play it safe and retreat. But both times he did that he probably only made things worse. First was Endor, which, okay, granted they'd just lost the Emperor and the Death Star and were probably demoralized, but wouldn't it still be better to keep pressing the smaller Rebel fleet into a war of attrition? It seems like the Empire's biggest problem at that time was getting the Rebels to stay in one place and fight.

Then with the final battle in The Last Command, he punked out again. Now you could argue that if he should have pressed the attack at Endor he should do the opposite in a fight where numbers were not on his side. But it was still an even fight, and at this point it was obvious that the Empire's just gonna collapse into infighting poo poo again if they abandoned the campaign against the New Republic. So politically the thing to do would be to roll the drat dice and if you win parley the victory into support for the Secret Plan that Thrawn told you before he died. Hell, he confided a lot in you, so close enough. If you have the authority to call all these retreats why not use it for the Secret Plan?

Now, I shamefully spent precious time thinking about and writing the above, but I think the point stands. Not sure how you become a legendary military commander without stomaching some risk.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Mmtheblue posted:

The EU Ruins Everything (Even the EU):

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
This is from the last page, but

PepsiOtaku posted:

why does Darth Vader sitting at a dinner table always look so awkward? It's always fun to imagine that, after he springs the trap for Leia and Han in ESB, he makes them sit down with him and eat while he watches them and they try to make awkward conversation.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Grendels Dad posted:

why does Darth Vader sitting at a dinner table always look so awkward?

Try to imagine how he'd eat and you have your answer.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

arioch posted:

Right, which is why I said the EU already went that stupid without needing the UF concept.

No, that's pretty retarded. Also dark side poisons can turn you to the dark side. Basically none of the actual Force concepts out of the Tales of the Jedi series were any good.

One that I always love is when one Jedi FORCE NEUTERS an opponent. This power is so ridiculous that it's never mentioned anywhere ever again.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mister Roboto posted:

Try to imagine how he'd eat and you have your answer.

Nobody can tell him how loud and disgusting he sounds when he slurps his food through his tube in his mask too.

My Dinner With Vader should be animated series where Vader has dinner with the most obnoxius of the EU characters. Each episode should end in horrible awkwardness.

Vader is a bit of a dick drunk I hear.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

Vader is a bit of a dick drunk I hear.

Probably can't shut about how his ex-wife dumped him, too.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

Probably can't shut about how his ex-wife dumped him, too.

His boss doesn't even pay him, he has to pay him back for the implants for the next twenty years. He has a son that doesn't listen to him too.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Actually, both his children have entered this really rebellious phase. And Leia keeps running after the wrong boys, I mean, clearly this Han Solo will amount to nothing in life.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

"And the music kids listen today, Jizz!? I mean, seriously!"

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

All joking aside, I refuse to believe that jizz was ever popular with the kids. I can maybe at a stretch picture someone like Owen Lars putting on some jizz and relaxing after a hard day of moisture farming, but all the kids on Tatooine were probably into Gamorrean screamo or something.

(As a music buff, though, the implications of having an entire universe's worth of musical history to go through would easily be one of the best aspects of living in the SWU.)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I wouldn't complain if somebody sat down and tried to make a CD of some of alien and other music that might have existed if everyone wasn't jizzing over Jedi constantly.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I really enjoy the mental image of Old Man Vader that the last few posts have given me, so I really hate to bring myself down, but:

What is Jizz? I'm going to regret asking, won't I?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

I really enjoy the mental image of Old Man Vader that the last few posts have given me, so I really hate to bring myself down, but:

Just a manchild D&D writers name for the music those aliens play in Mos Eisley Cantina.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Grendels Dad posted:

It's jazz, but IN SPACE

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Not Jozz. Not Jezz. Jizz.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Who can we blame for the name itself? It wasn't mentioned in the movies, right?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Admiral Goodenough posted:

(As a music buff, though, the implications of having an entire universe's worth of musical history to go through would easily be one of the best aspects of living in the SWU.)

You know how we have twelve notes per octave? Is there any reason the wookies wouldn't have, say, 15? And wouldn't that sound completely horrible to us? And so on.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

BonHair posted:

You know how we have twelve notes per octave? Is there any reason the wookies wouldn't have, say, 15? And wouldn't that sound completely horrible to us? And so on.

"And now, the twelve male Wookiee Grwyklhsh Choir!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Who can we blame for the name itself? It wasn't mentioned in the movies, right?

According to the wiki, the performers were called "jizz-wailers" in the ROTJ novelization, but it took until Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina that the music was simply called "jizz".

So the chain of blame includes but is not limited to:

George Lucas
Lawrence Kasdan
James Kahn (writer of novelization)
Kevin J. Anderson

BonHair posted:

Since they're just frequencies I don't think it should really matter, unless the frequencies are just so obnoxiously outside our range which shouldn't happen in a single "hexave". I more imagine it to be like what Face passes off as "nasty verpine music" in Wraith Squadron.