Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Revol posted:

There's a lot of 1x2 white grill bricks, which are always nice to have. I also see a lot of 1x3 green bricks. But then I get this useless poo poo:

These are neat pieces and I wish I had more :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Chronojam posted:

These are neat pieces and I wish I had more :confused:

Really? What would you use them for? The only thing I can think of is if you wanted to build a minifig scale garage. And even then, I don't know if I need seven of these things.

And I also got like ten extra doors for them too.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I'm prone to favorite a lot of Space style stuff, so those would go well in a garage as you said, somewhere on a mech, to hold all the extra air tanks and helmets and weapons onboard a ship while also functioning as a bulkhead. From what I recall those doors fit pretty snug, you could use them for refillable bomb bays for when you're swooshing your spaceships.

Maybe I should point out I also really liked the old 2x2 slotted hatched containers that were everywhere when M-Tron was around.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
That porsche wasn't lego. That was engineering. I mean, yes, it used lego pieces, but drat if I've ever seen anything like it.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

VanSandman posted:

That porsche wasn't lego. That was engineering. I mean, yes, it used lego pieces, but drat if I've ever seen anything like it.

That man HAS to work for LEGO, right? And if not, LEGO hire him!

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Revol posted:

Really? What would you use them for? The only thing I can think of is if you wanted to build a minifig scale garage. And even then, I don't know if I need seven of these things.

And I also got like ten extra doors for them too.

My daughter seems to love them for her houses. Maybe you should build more houses.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

So in preparation of having a kid in the future I decided to toss together most of my old Lego sets I had laying about for decoration and I wanted my Lego sets out of the boxes they where stored in.

Pirate Island vs the Navy

Old castle with a funky glow in the dark ghost in the keep.

A few old western sets combined to make a nice set up.

A few random sets I have gotten over the years.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Of course you need to have the Lego Star Wars thrown in for my nerd cred.

I have a Naboo Fighter laying around here some where missing a few pieces and a AT-ST in a bucket some where too I need to put together and add to the collection. Going to add mini-figs and the random sets here and there as I get cash, might have to hunt E-Bay for the older sets I loved.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Rythe posted:

Wow. Someone actually bought that thing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

einTier posted:

Well, in theory someone must have because Lego's still around. :)

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

einTier posted:

Lol I was like 10 when I bought that thing, it was pretty sweet to a kid and it came with a Lego shaped storage container too. I still love that little car thing, I would so buy the rest of the set plus all the hats are just great and I have that container laying around here some where.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
2 Much Caffeine does it again, for those who don't read Brickd.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24681250@N07/5765444247/in/photostream/lightbox/

I mean, drat. I love micro-scale stuff.

toochilled
Apr 3, 2003

einTier posted:

I'm actually considering buying up the line.
It's like LEGO Torchwood. It is awful, but stupidly fun.

Plus they do look a lot (well, a bit) better in person then in pictures.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
So I get home today and check Brothers Brick and HOLY poo poo

The Nausicaa scene is my favorite. The ohmu is fantastic, but the base showing the Seven Days of Fire and the growth of the Sea of Corruption really make it special.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

afflictionwisp posted:

The Nausicaa scene is my favorite. The ohmu is fantastic, but the base showing the Seven Days of Fire and the growth of the Sea of Corruption really make it special.

I like it too, but that Mehve really needs re-working. It's way too large and bulky. Compare to http://www.flickr.com/photos/25163007@N07/4115722584/
Although that's probably too wide...Mehve's wingspan should be a little more than twice Nausicaa's height.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

Pyroclastic posted:

I like it too, but that Mehve really needs re-working. It's way too large and bulky. Compare to http://www.flickr.com/photos/25163007@N07/4115722584/
Although that's probably too wide...Mehve's wingspan should be a little more than twice Nausicaa's height.

oh, bitch, bitch, bitch

There's just no pleasing some people :)

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

afflictionwisp posted:

Oh man, that's loving awesome. I would put that on my desk.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah those are basically The Best Lego Clouds.

I only recently saw Laputa, after it showed on Cartoon Network and I saw a small bit of it and spurred my interest. I was basically :allears: and :byodood: the whole time watching it, loved it. Lego has the Disney contract, maybe they could worm a Ghibli contract out of it too. :haw:

edit: Demon Boar God Lego set, scar your kids for life!

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 14, 2011

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I haven't built a lego model in about 4 years or so and I'm actually really tempted to buy that super star destroyer set. I used to be really into Star Wars, and that ship was always my favorite. It's basically Manhattan on a giant space dagger. With guns all over. :clint:

afflictionwisp posted:

I hadn't heard of Brothers Brick before, but this alone made me bookmark their site.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Those clouds are awe-inspiring.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I hadn't heard of Brothers Brick before, but this alone made me bookmark their site.

They're a blog that posts other people's works, usually from Flickr. (Although, they do post a few original works of theirs which are good too.)

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I too bought that Time Twisters abomination when I was a kid. What can I say, I love the minifigs and the stupid unique pieces it comes with.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
Lego.com has listed some of the new Star Wars sets. This caught my attention:

7957 Sith Nightspeeder 214 pieces, 3 figs, $24.99
7959 Geonosian Starfighter 155 pieces, 3 figs, $29.99

So, pay 5 bucks more, get 60 fewer pieces. I don't really know what to make of that. I guess it looks a little bigger...

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Rythe posted:

Of course you need to have the Lego Star Wars thrown in for my nerd cred.

Time Twisters was and is an abomination, useful parts notwithstanding, but this set. Oh man. I preordered it and the couple months I had to wait were agony for 10 or 12 year old me. I built it the instant it arrived and it's the one set that was never cannibalized, even temporarily. And that includes the huge awesome M-Tron ship that I lovingly put back together several times. This might not be the the best X-Wing but first love and all that. It's still on a shelf at my parents' house I think.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Lego.com has listed some of the new Star Wars sets. This caught my attention:

7957 Sith Nightspeeder 214 pieces, 3 figs, $24.99
7959 Geonosian Starfighter 155 pieces, 3 figs, $29.99

So, pay 5 bucks more, get 60 fewer pieces. I don't really know what to make of that. I guess it looks a little bigger...

The stupid Ewok tree is like a hundred sixty pieces for twenty five bucks, too. Lego is really pushing what people are willing to spend with this assortment.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Karma Tornado posted:

The stupid Ewok tree is like a hundred sixty pieces for twenty five bucks, too. Lego is really pushing what people are willing to spend with this assortment.

Ewok tree is $35 in canada land. We always had higher lego prices but now its gone from crazy to absurd. Even worse is toys r us is marking sets above the S@H prices and then put them on sale for the MRSP.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Eh, licensed sets are a ripoff. Star Wars is the worst of the lot. I'm alright with it because there's enough people in the world that care enough about Star Wars to buy 'em to keep Lego unbelievably rich forever.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Joining the Architecture line this September is the Robie House.

There's also a super-high res photo. It'll be the largest of the series, at 2,276 pieces.

Edit: While I'm on Flickr, this is loving genius.

Revol fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 16, 2011

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Karma Tornado and Karma Tornado posted:

Star Wars LEGO is expensive

Maybe part of the re-licensing of the SW license George Lucas asked for more royalties? Also the Geonosian Starfighter uses more rare colors than the other one. Just wait for it to go on sale like any other LEGO.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

djfooboo posted:

Maybe part of the re-licensing of the SW license George Lucas asked for more royalties? Also the Geonosian Starfighter uses more rare colors than the other one. Just wait for it to go on sale like any other LEGO.

That rare color bs only affects the 2nd hand market. It shouldn't dictate new set prices.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

djfooboo posted:

I don't buy it, I sell it. My concern is that from a retail end Lego's pricing themselves out of what most people are willing to part with for some kid's birthday.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

renraku posted:

That rare color bs only affects the 2nd hand market. It shouldn't dictate new set prices.

It's the minifigure collecting market that dictates the prices. Lego got wise to the fact people were paying a ton of money for some of those SW figs and decided they should cash in on it. Almost every set has exclusive figs now to convince the collectors to buy them.

I'm especially annoyed at that Geonosian fighter because it's the first set to have brown 4x1 curve slopes, and it just so happens I need them for what I'm working on now. Their Bricklink price is going to be twice what it should be because of that horrible MSRP. On the other hand, I should probably be happy Lego continues to bring out useful new parts, and parts in new colors. Building any curved shape in brown was almost impossible until this year, because none of the basic parts existed.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Travis343 posted:

Eh, licensed sets are a ripoff. Star Wars is the worst of the lot. I'm alright with it because there's enough people in the world that care enough about Star Wars to buy 'em to keep Lego unbelievably rich forever.

Pretty much. For the same price as the Slave 1 with 569 pieces and 3 minifigures you could get the totally awesome Earth Defense HQ from the Alien Conquest line with 879 pieces and 6 minifigures.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
If the Star Wars line as it exists now had been around when I was a kid it would have bugged the poo poo out of me anyway because I was too spergy to have mixed realistic fleshtone minifgs with the classic yellow.
I know there's gotta be kids out there today who are bugged by that.

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh
I wish the Star Wars line had been out when I was a kid! I remember the introduction of the Space range and how excited I was by that.

Mind you now Im making up for it by buying loads of it (on ebay where you can get some bargains if you are careful- picked up the Droid Trifighter for £8 posted with all the minifigs last week, and Republic Attack Shuttle and minifigs for £35 a couple of months ago.) for my 5 year old son. Its really for me though...

Virar
Jul 21, 2007
This space is blank.

Higher res Black Pearl pics from https://exoneit.de/default.asp?ex=shop:produktedetail.asp&Artikel_id=103054&kat_id=7251 via BrickSet.

quote:

The ship does not float
Glad they point that out. Turns out the Queens Anne Revenge box also says that.

vvv That I know. I always wanted one of the boats as a kid. But none of the pirates boats that I have have had that piece of news, so it just seems weird.

Virar fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 17, 2011

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Virar posted:

Glad they point that out. Turns out the Queens Anne Revenge box also says that.

Well, they have made boats that do float. When I was a kid I had a floating police boat.

It was one of my favorite Lego sets.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Torael_7 posted:

Not if season 5 gets marked up that much. They're what, 3 bucks each in the store?

want to talk about horrible pricing? There's a small toy store on the bottom floor of the Toronto Eaton Centre that had S3 Lego minifigures "marked down" from CAN$9.99 each to $6.99 or so. The S4s were "on sale" for $4.99.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

drat, the current minifigs are E 1.99, and the older seasons are all E 1.49 here.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Chris Knight posted:

want to talk about horrible pricing? There's a small toy store on the bottom floor of the Toronto Eaton Centre that had S3 Lego minifigures "marked down" from CAN$9.99 each to $6.99 or so. The S4s were "on sale" for $4.99.

Yeah, Toys Toys Toys has a really bad habit of jacking their prices up regardless of which location you go to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

I just wanted to say I love you beautiful creative bastards and this thread. Thanks for sharing all of your amazingly creative arts!